gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:17:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805521 times)
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: June 10, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »

Paul McCartney - McCartney II
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 17, 2012, 04:05:19 AM »

Can't get enough of these girls over the past few weeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBlpfXLQLvU

Love em.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 17, 2012, 06:39:04 AM »

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: June 17, 2012, 07:04:34 AM »

Surfer Girl - found the original pressing in mint condition for $4 at a record store the other night Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 17, 2012, 07:13:44 AM »

Surfer Girl - found the original pressing in mint condition for $4 at a record store the other night Grin
How that happen! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »

Diplo's Express Yourself EP. It's turning me a little mental, actually  Grin

Newguy, you should check this out
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:30:39 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 19, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »

This sh*t is amazing.

http://open.spotify.com/user/hyp3hat/playlist/2a5mj1tSP7FZsKkCRRObiC

A fantastic orchestral album. Featuring David Byrne. Sounds like an album Van Dyke Parks could make in his sleep, yet never has.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 19, 2012, 06:46:32 PM »

How that happen! Cool

I was overjoyed! It sounds great too! Barely any pops.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 20, 2012, 10:10:51 AM »

Seeing Andy Kim mentioned in the canoe.ca review of the Toronto show is probably going to get me to listen to his version of "Baby I Love You" again.

And a lesser-known 45 of his, "Tricia Tell Your Daddy." (It was written in 1969 by Jeff Barry and Marty Sanders of Jay And The Americans, and yes, it is about Richard Nixon. Kim's version is all right, but JATA's version is really good - Jay Black's singing is as sterling as always, plus it's got Walter Becker on bass and Donald Fagen on piano in their pre-Dan days. You can find both on YouTube.)

But the truth is that for quite a while, two tracks have played over and over in my head, a little like the way "Be My Baby" and "Proud Mary" play in Brian's. They're "Scope J" and "Lullaby," written and produced by Scott Walker with Ute Lemper singing. (The former is on her Punishing Kiss CD; the latter just on the Japanese issue of that disc. Both were on the OOP Scott boxset Five Easy Pieces.)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 22, 2012, 07:42:25 AM »

Picked up new vinyl remaster of Discover America by VDP. Sounds absolutely incredible - so many new details. Even though I already have Song Cycle and Clang on vinyl..... now I want them. Dammit.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: June 24, 2012, 05:03:21 AM »

Somewhat obscure Doo Wop formation The For-Evers. Evereyone interested in Doo Wop shoudl check 'em out!
(There's a good compilation CD from 1998.)

Lookit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 27, 2012, 08:12:01 AM »

Aside from 'Summer's Gone' (which I can't take my ears off!) I've been listening to the Orange Juice box set pretty obsessively: mainly 'The Glasgow School' and 'You Can't Hide Your Love Forever'. They were quite something.

I talked your folks out of making you cut off your head.
Michael C.
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 27, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »

I’m currently listening to Scott Walker's late 60’s work, which I never seem to tire of (particularly the album Scott 4). In addition, I’m digesting all the new CAN music in their recently released lost tapes collection.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 10, 2012, 02:47:10 AM »

Frank Ocean's Channel Orange. It's a bit long, but it's so good!

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: July 10, 2012, 03:13:01 AM »

Frank Ocean's Channel Orange. It's a bit long, but it's so good!
That's great that he came out the closet... for the longest I told my gf he was gay but she didn't believe me(not that it matters)...she is obsessed with him & weekend (she's a real r&b head)
He's a talented fellow,I'm suprised he's in the odd future camp.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:39:44 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: July 10, 2012, 06:13:36 AM »

It took so much courage to do it, yeah.

Have you seen the Fallon performance? Holy sh*t, it's amazing
http://stereogum.com/1087041/watch-frank-oceans-stunning-fallon-performance/video/

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: July 10, 2012, 06:25:18 AM »

http://stereogum.com/1087041/watch-frank-oceans-stunning-fallon-performance/video/
I seen it like an hour ago Smiley and yes it was..lol..Frank Ocean isn't like most of the sh*t that's out right now..hopefully he doesn't lose fans because of his sexual preference..(considering most of his fans are girls lol)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: July 10, 2012, 04:42:19 PM »

I seen it like an hour ago Smiley and yes it was..lol..Frank Ocean isn't like most of the sh*t that's out right now..hopefully he doesn't lose fans because of his sexual preference..(considering most of his fans are girls lol)

I really hope not. That album is too good. Listened to it three times today. It's.... damn. I am a sucker for expansive soul albums.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: July 10, 2012, 05:58:25 PM »

I really hope not. That album is too good. Listened to it three times today. It's.... damn. I am a sucker for expansive soul albums.
he's in a league of his own..did you hear the songs where he's talking about his bf?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:06:05 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: July 11, 2012, 04:49:34 AM »

he's in a league of his own..did you hear the songs where he's talking about his bf?

Yeah, but that is just ridiculously not relevant. He's an 'out' performer (and fwiw, he didn't explicitly say 'I'm Gay/Bisexual/whatever' in that wonderful statement so applying those labels is problematic/jumping the gun) but I don't explicitly view, IDK, Carl Wilson as a 'straight' performer. They're just artists. And it's just not an album explicitly about being a man with a confused sexuality. A song like Bad Religion is about many things, not just 'Oh f***, I appear to be a gay man in the hip-hop community' and whilst he's extremely brave, he's also made a great album that deserves to celebrated as just that!

The prominent feeling seems to be good-natured. If I was him, I wouldn't be too sore about 'fans' who stop listening to him because of the statement. It's the 21st century. f*** them.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: July 11, 2012, 05:01:15 AM »

Yeah, but that is just ridiculously not relevant. He's an 'out' performer (and fwiw, he didn't explicitly say 'I'm Gay/Bisexual/whatever' in that wonderful statement so applying those labels is problematic/jumping the gun) but I don't explicitly view, IDK, Carl Wilson as a 'straight' performer. They're just artists. And it's just not an album explicitly about being a man with a confused sexuality. A song like Bad Religion is about many things, not just 'Oh f***, I appear to be a gay man in the hip-hop community' and whilst he's extremely brave, he's also made a great album that deserves to celebrated as just that!

The prominent feeling seems to be good-natured. If I was him, I wouldn't be too sore about 'fans' who stop listening to him because of the statement. It's the 21st century. f*** them.
You're absolutely right...It's all about the music.
The best thing to do is to keep both worlds separate and never mix them...
That's what I do when I listen to Michael Jackson, I completely block out all those accusations because at the end of the day I respect the man's music and entertainment (music videos,dancing) Smiley and nothing else matters.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:21:50 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: July 12, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »

Dead Moon's Strange Pray Tell (1992):

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: July 18, 2012, 06:18:14 AM »

Simon & Garfunkel's Wednesday Morning 3AM (1964):

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1198 on: July 18, 2012, 12:00:46 PM »

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club

I lend my CD to a friend about six years ago and she finally gave it back yesterday. Although I also have the album on L (minus "Down the line") I hadn't heard it in a very long time...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: July 18, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club

I lend my CD to a friend about six years ago and she finally gave it back yesterday. Although I also have the album on L (minus "Down the line") I hadn't heard it in a very long time...
Impressive live LP, it is.  3D
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx