gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:25:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805446 times)
Jason
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2005, 09:08:26 AM »

Throbbing Gristle - Very Friendly

It was just an ordinary day in Manchester...
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2005, 11:26:50 AM »

"Sleep Late My Lady Friend"

Best way I know for me to kick this "New Participant" tag.
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2005, 11:29:43 AM »

See if you can pick up a copy of the "Seven Worlds Collide" DVD mate, it's Neil, Tim, Eddie Vedder, Johnny Marr, two guys from Radiohead all playing Neil Finn/Crowded House/Split Enz/Finn Brothers/Smiths stuff...  You'd love it.

Damnation, I want to start a Crowded House thread... 

Start one, man!

Oh, "Seven Worlds Collide" rules.  I love it when they're all arriving at Neil's studio in New Zealand.  "Eddie, have you met Johnny?"

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Jason
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2005, 11:40:24 AM »

Todd Rundgren - Hello It's Me
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2005, 11:47:24 AM »

Springsteen - Parcipanny, New Jersey, 1-12-74

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2005, 11:49:02 AM »

Brian Eno and David Byrne - The Jezebel Spirit

Do YOU hear voices?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2005, 11:49:53 AM »

Me. Working out an arrangement on piano.

I'd rather be listening to something else, believe me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2005, 12:09:12 PM »

Madonna - Beautiful Stranger
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2005, 12:34:42 PM »

Joel!  You turned Chance onto Crowded House!?! I love you!  Chance, that is Tim Finn (Neil's older brother) in my avatar (who co-wrote a whole lot of the stuff on that best of)!  Wow! This is too cool...  What tracks are your favourite Chance?  My favourite song, of all time is Private Universe!  Dig that! Smiley  Incredible Cook Island Log Drumming,  Most haunting melody I've ever heard, and those ghostly harmonies...

See if you can pick up a copy of the "Seven Worlds Collide" DVD mate, it's Neil, Tim, Eddie Vedder, Johnny Marr, two guys from Radiohead all playing Neil Finn/Crowded House/Split Enz/Finn Brothers/Smiths stuff...  You'd love it.

Damnation, I want to start a Crowded House thread... 
Yeah, Mat', my introduction to Crowded House is long overdue. Go ahead and start a thread, I've often thought of asking you to do one so that I'd have a sense of direction with these guys. I've long meant to explore them, their reputation is so high, I'm glad to finally be taking a taste. Joel also sent me a "Limited Edition Live Album" which I haven't dipped into yet. So far, I've only listened to the Best of once, but it's good. Not all the time, but in places, the vocals remind me of Aztec Camera's Roddy Frame, who's first album is a long time fave with me. I've alway loved "Don't Dream It's Over." Go ahead and start a thread, what do you think was the Finn's best work, Split Enz, House or as a duo?

IAN, YOU HAVE SPRINGSTEEN IN PARSIPPANY?!?!?!? Holy fucking hell, my parents live there, I spent about 25 years there! You gotta let me get a hold of that. We'd always heard he played a local club, The Joint In The Woods, twice in early '74, and I'd heard there was a tape, but I never dreamt I'd ever get near a copy. Gosh Darn, small world!! How's the audio quality, how's the show? :D
Jason
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2005, 12:35:49 PM »

Elliott Smith - Condor Ave
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2005, 12:57:03 PM »

IAN, YOU HAVE SPRINGSTEEN IN PARSIPPANY?!?!?!? Holy fodaing hell, my parents live there, I spent about 25 years there! You gotta let me get a hold of that. We'd always heard he played a local club, The Joint In The Woods, twice in early '74, and I'd heard there was a tape, but I never dreamt I'd ever get near a copy. Gosh Darn, small world!! How's the audio quality, how's the show?

It's amazing. It's a great show, nice quality, AND IT SHALL SOON BE YOURS!
Here's the setlist:
01 Spirit in the night
02 Does this bus stop at 82nd street?
03 Walking the dog
04 It's hard to be a saint in the city
05 Ring of fire
06 Kitty's back
07 634-5789
08 Thundercrack
09 Blinded by the light
10 Growin' up
11 For You
12 You mean so much to me

Ring Of Fire is incredible!  I'm so glad I'll be able to send you something cool besides the Runaways!

al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2005, 01:20:02 PM »

Re the Bruce show - Sounds interesting - I love the 74 stuff, before they were famous. Not heard that one though. Heard a couple of the radio show gigs and the Liberty Hall one (with Clarence singing one about wine..). I still think the Hammersmith DVD is my favourite thing from the whole of this year. AND i haven't even managed to watch it in one go yet! Have to watch it in segments as it is just too exhausting to watch all the way through!.

I have been listening to: 29 - Ryan Adams - wonderful - his third of the year and possibly the best, though I still love Cold Roses.
A Double CD of the Everly's on Warner Bros which contains the wonderful Bowling Green (one of the great harmony singles of all time I think) - plus a lot of not so good stuff though.
The Doves - Some Cities - very good (got it for £2.99 in Tesco's - a UK supermarket) -
REM's last album (just about OK) - £3.99 in Tesco's.
Just been out today and bought Uncle Tupelo's No Depression and Patti Smith's reissue of Horses with the live version. Looking forward to them!
Jason
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2005, 01:20:32 PM »

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Cut Dead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2005, 01:26:02 PM »

You like the Mary Chain? Right on. Great, great band.

Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2005, 01:27:25 PM »

I have been listening to: 29 - Ryan Adams - wonderful - his third of the year and possibly the best, though I still love Cold Roses.

I got this for Christmas, but I've only listened once.  It didn't grab me right away, but I'll have to give it a few more spins. Just too much new stuff to check out.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2005, 01:45:37 PM »

Track from Good To My Baby from hawthorne CA disc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2005, 01:46:49 PM »

I'm so glad I'll be able to send you something cool besides the Runaways!
Can't tell you how much I appreciate it, Cap'n! I've been waiting a long, long time for this opportunity, I should have known you'd be the guy with the goods.  Smiley The thing is, music fans in Parsippany know about the show, and they remember the club (long since gone) but I don't know a single soul who was actually there or who has heard the recording. It seems to be one of those little footnote concerts that doesn't get widely circulated. I have a couple of his gigs from early '74, and every time I listen to one, I think, "This is how he must have sounded in Parsippany." Now after all these years, the hometown punters will get a chance to hear it. I'm even going to see if the local library will take a copy - I'll do up some nice artwork - but I'm pretty sure they'll tell me they can't catalog anything that violates copyright.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2005, 01:53:55 PM »

That's great, man!
It's only been circulated on tape and a very obscure CDR. Luckily I have a Boss connection that has everything, and Im tradin' King stuff with him, and I'm going for the most obscure shows.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2005, 01:55:57 PM »

Bill Ricchini's excellent Tonight I Burn Brightly album.

Jason
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2005, 01:56:44 PM »

Atilla - Amplifier Fire
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2005, 01:57:27 PM »

Atilla - Amplifier Fire

YES!

REVENGE IS SWEET!

Jason
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2005, 01:59:01 PM »

It's...............................................HORRIBLE!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2005, 01:59:50 PM »

Attila rock, man.

Jason
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2005, 02:03:29 PM »

I dunno man......I've read countless reviews, every single one trashes it. I've listened to the track again, I like it......but......what's the rhyme or reason for this album to exist?
Jason
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2005, 02:05:40 PM »

Les Paul - Nola
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx