gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:08:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 813473 times)
Chris D.
« Reply #650 on: February 08, 2006, 12:57:19 PM »

Thought you would like that, Maybelline.
Maybelline
« Reply #651 on: February 08, 2006, 01:00:46 PM »

Ah yes. Everyone MUST LISTEN to Josh Rouse btw. His latest, Nashville, is superb.
Chris D.
« Reply #652 on: February 08, 2006, 05:03:31 PM »

Hall and Oates -- "Maneater"

Sax solo is ripsh*t.
Jason
« Reply #653 on: February 08, 2006, 05:50:40 PM »

Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot - Bonnie and Clyde
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: February 08, 2006, 06:07:16 PM »

Sensible Shoes - David Lee Roth

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
jdavolt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 08, 2006, 06:08:54 PM »

The Yardbirds - "Still I'm Sad"

I will sue this blog and the owner
Jason
« Reply #656 on: February 08, 2006, 06:10:57 PM »

Serge Gainsbourg - Breakdown Suite (from Si J'Étais un Espion)
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: February 08, 2006, 06:41:29 PM »

"It's All Leading Up To Saturday Night" - Marmalade

Chris D.
« Reply #658 on: February 08, 2006, 06:52:10 PM »

Dead Kennedys -- "Trust Your Mechanic"
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 08, 2006, 07:40:10 PM »

"Little Bird", by...me.  The instrumental track, that is.  I've been listening to it over and over...I don't know if it stinks or if it's good.

http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1NG5XBU1DVNNN11YTH79ZXS9KB
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: February 09, 2006, 10:00:57 AM »

everyday people-SLY
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #661 on: February 10, 2006, 09:28:34 PM »

Tell Me Why - The Beatles

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 11, 2006, 12:35:53 AM »

"Baby" (1971 version) , Os Mutantes. I love this Caetono Veloso song whoever sings it and whenever, but the English lyric here is so cool. Part of it is just hearing Rita Lee address one directly in English telling you to learn Portuguese, but it's the translation too. It scans just like the original, but it gains in English in a couple ways. One is just the words themselves, the four strung, unelaborated, rhymes following '...Saber'/'learn to know' in the original: piscina, carolina, margarina, gasolina are much stronger as 'take a new look at the new land, the swimming pool and the teeth of your friend, the dirt in my hand...' In both, it's a call to survey the new seductive (and underlying) realities of America South, but the Os M. version of '71 really brings out the psychedelic pop advertisement aspect, Rita Lee as 'read my T-shirt' pop-siren who might be interpreted as saying 'love the swinging scene and love me', but is really saying 'see it for what it really is, and tune  in and drop out with me!' It's like an ad for the band itself, a statement of Tropicalia purpose.  Always so, I suppose, in all its versions, but it suits them best.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 02:59:23 AM by cabinessence » Logged
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 11, 2006, 04:15:34 AM »

"Baby" (1971 version) , Os Mutantes. I love this Caetono Veloso song whoever sings it and whenever, but the English lyric here is so cool. Part of it is just hearing Rita Lee address one directly in English telling you to learn Portuguese, but it's the translation too. It scans just like the original, but it gains in English in a couple ways. One is just the words themselves, the four strung, unelaborated, rhymes following '...Saber'/'learn to know' in the original: piscina, carolina, margarina, gasolina are much stronger as 'take a new look at the new land, the swimming pool and the teeth of your friend, the dirt in my hand...' In both, it's a call to survey the new seductive (and underlying) realities of America South, but the Os M. version of '71 really brings out the psychedelic pop advertisement aspect, Rita Lee as 'read my T-shirt' pop-siren who might be interpreted as saying 'love the swinging scene and love me', but is really saying 'see it for what it really is, and tune  in and drop out with me!' It's like an ad for the band itself, a statement of Tropicalia purpose.  Always so, I suppose, in all its versions, but it suits them best.

Agree, it's a great song, it sounds like they switched the meaning around, in the portuguese version I have with Gal Costa and Caetano Veloso, they sing about "you need to learn english" and I always thought it was a song about the americanization of the brazilian culture, but it sounds like they turned it around so in Rita Lee's version it becomes an appeal to the english-speaking foreigners to learn more about the southamerican culture.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
Jason
« Reply #664 on: February 11, 2006, 09:44:35 AM »

Rita Lee sounds so sexy on that track, it's an awesome recording.

Os Mutantes - Dois Mil E Um (2001)
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 11, 2006, 04:59:35 PM »

"Emerald River Dance" by Judee Sill
Jason
« Reply #666 on: February 11, 2006, 05:00:15 PM »

Serge Gainsbourg and Bambou - Love On The Beat

Great synth funk.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #667 on: February 11, 2006, 07:35:07 PM »

Boogie Woodie - The BBoys dig that groove

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 11, 2006, 09:01:05 PM »

Friends (Thank You All) by the Free Design -- this song just kills.  It has one of the best codas I have heard in pop music.
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 11, 2006, 10:57:17 PM »

Stan by Eminem (and Dido). This is supposed to be funny, right? (??) It always makes me laugh. "Death Rock" in the great sixties tradition of Jimmy Cross's "I Want My Baby Back"
mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 12, 2006, 12:26:31 AM »

Care of Cell 44 by The Zombies.

LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #671 on: February 12, 2006, 02:08:04 AM »

Sunflower!

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #672 on: February 12, 2006, 11:53:12 AM »

Paul Simon & George Harrison "Here Comes The Sun" & "Homeword Bownd" on SNL from youtube.com

cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 12, 2006, 11:55:31 AM »

Intercontinental Catapult, amazing 'information overflow' music noise computer art by Finnish "Pink Twins" Juha and Vesa Vehviläinen in concert with the Vortice Orchestra. This long piece, the whole history of electronic music smooshed together, was recorded at the Venice Biennale a few months back and is being rebroadcast as a onetime radio deal so I'm not likely to step into this particular electronica stream again (and I wish I'd gotten to see the visuals accompanying the audio, reportedly just as trippy), but a nice bracing Sunday morning shower while it lasts.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 12:05:32 PM by cabinessence » Logged
Maybelline
« Reply #674 on: February 12, 2006, 12:05:30 PM »

Parsley, Sage, etc etc   Simon & Garfunkel
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx