gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:12:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 806131 times)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2700 on: April 20, 2016, 11:15:59 AM »

Explosions in the Sky is great for relaxing or painting and such.

I think Infected Mushroom seems a little intense for me.

I don't love Tycho, but I figured I try to get into his music before I (potentially) see him live.

I've made a "Beach Tunes" playlist since summer came early here, so I've been listening to that.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: April 20, 2016, 11:42:47 AM »

England and America by Elton John. A new song.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2702 on: April 20, 2016, 12:44:18 PM »

This must of been one of his last ever concerts before Steve Marriott died that year in 1991. What a great performance though! Love the guitar work from Steve and his voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8cwbQ52yJQ
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: April 20, 2016, 01:47:56 PM »

Explosions in the Sky is great for relaxing or painting and such.

EITS made me think of Mogwai. "You Don't Know Jesus" is a great example of their stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp0kObKszGI

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: April 20, 2016, 03:59:46 PM »

I keep finding myself drawn back to these two lately:

Something special was happening in Minneapolis...
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: April 20, 2016, 04:04:59 PM »

I love the intro to "Candy's Room". I like the rest of the song--mostly the bits that resemble the intro.
That's pretty much it for me.
Bruce Springsteen's sound didn't appeal to me at first. I got sucked in by the poetic imagery and fantastic piano at the start of Thunder Road. From there, my interest expanded.

I always really enjoyed the coda; it always takes me back to being a little kid, as that album was played a lot at the crib when I was growing up.

My favorite Springsteen song is probably 'Atlantic City' from Nebraska. Beautiful.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: April 20, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »

Springsteen was always one of those acts that turned me off growing up (probably because I was of an age to be attracted by hair metal, and never the twain shall meet), but like probably many an indie/hipster type later, I came across the opinion that Nebraska was great. Lo and behold, it easily lived up to its reputation and immediately cemented itself as a favorite. Then, lo and behold again, it turned out most of that '70s and some of the '80s stuff was also great, and I had been an opinionated asshole up to then.

Not a fan of all of it, but there is so much great stuff.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: April 20, 2016, 08:03:50 PM »

My rap playlist.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: April 20, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »

And now a live version of "Blue Ridge Mountains" that is making me melt.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2709 on: April 20, 2016, 08:53:35 PM »

Ringing in my ears.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: April 20, 2016, 09:05:49 PM »

I keep finding myself drawn back to these two lately:

Something special was happening in Minneapolis...
Minneapolis definitely had its Seattle moment.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: April 20, 2016, 09:12:24 PM »

I don't think it would be unreasonable to suggest The Minneapolis Moment was largely responsible for The Seattle Moment.
I also don't care much for grunge, though. I suppose it's a genre I'll have to explore more of.

Not sure how far that will get, however. I don't remember having positive opinions on Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Bush, or the Stone Temple Pilots.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:21:45 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: April 20, 2016, 09:25:02 PM »

I don't think it would be unreasonable to suggest The Minneapolis Moment was largely responsible for The Seattle Moment.
I also don't care much for grunge, though. I suppose it's a genre I'll have to explore more of.

Not sure how far that will get, however. I don't remember having positive opinions on Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Bush, or the Stone Temple Pilots.
Not recommending grunge.  Just using short-hand for a musical hotspot.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2713 on: April 20, 2016, 09:26:34 PM »

STP was not really a grunge band after their first album.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: April 20, 2016, 09:27:36 PM »

STP was not really a grunge band after their first album.
C'est vrai. And Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam were frowned upon by most serious grungites.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:28:55 PM by Emily » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: April 20, 2016, 09:28:24 PM »

Not recommending grunge.

I was just making conversation. Besides, I'm always open to give things another chance.

Grunge, you're on the list.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: April 20, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »

Not recommending grunge.

I was just making conversation. Besides, I'm always open to give things another chance.

Grunge, you're on the list.
I actually really really like some Soundgarden and some Alice in Chains, but I can see where the latter would be a lot less generally acclaimed.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: April 20, 2016, 09:42:37 PM »

Well'p, there it is. I just listened to Nirvana, The Screaming Trees, Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Mudhoney. I disliked all of it.
Grunge vocals turn me off almost immediately.

Get a job, losers.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:18:29 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: April 20, 2016, 10:06:43 PM »

Well'p, there it is. I just listened to Nirvana, The Screaming Trees, Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Mudhoney. I disliked all of it.
Grunge vocals that turn me off almost immediately.

Get a job, losers.
Lol. Did you try Fell on Black Days, Soundgarden, and ignore the brief grunge vocal interludes?
KDS
« Reply #2719 on: April 21, 2016, 05:19:03 AM »

Grunge vocals that turn me off almost immediately.

Get a job, losers.

I heard a name for the grunge vocal style a few years ago, "Yarling."  That style pretty much ruined American hard rock vocals forever. 
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: April 21, 2016, 10:11:21 AM »

I feel like I've tried to build up some hometown pride by trying to get into grunge, but I can't handle it, either. I can listen to a decent amount of Nirvana but other than that... I'm biased towards "pretty-sounding" music, and that definitely isn't it.

KDS
« Reply #2721 on: April 21, 2016, 10:27:43 AM »

I like some Alice in Chains and Soundgarden.  When each first came out, they were pretty straightforward hard rock bands.  As Nirvana and Pearl Jam took over, AIC and Soundgarden each got more grungy.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: April 24, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »

I feel like one of you has posted this before.

I want to know why some music resonates with me, and some of it doesn't. Or why it takes me so long to realize how great some music is. For the longest time I've been kind of resistant to electronic music, and I'm making serious efforts to just get over that because I feel like I'm depriving myself of a lot of fun times (i.e. concerts/festivals). Maybe that makes me a conformist, although I genuinely like sorta similar artists like Washed Out and Ducktails.
Anyway, my best friend showed me this song called "Girl" by Jamie xx. I guess it's the closing song to his album, but I really liked it (made me feel like I was drifting away).

I can listen to this so far. Expanding my horizons today.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: April 24, 2016, 02:21:44 PM »

I feel like one of you has posted this before.

I want to know why some music resonates with me, and some of it doesn't. Or why it takes me so long to realize how great some music is. For the longest time I've been kind of resistant to electronic music, and I'm making serious efforts to just get over that because I feel like I'm depriving myself of a lot of fun times (i.e. concerts/festivals). Maybe that makes me a conformist, although I genuinely like sorta similar artists like Washed Out and Ducktails.
Anyway, my best friend showed me this song called "Girl" by Jamie xx. I guess it's the closing song to his album, but I really liked it (made me feel like I was drifting away).

I can listen to this so far. Expanding my horizons today.

May sound obvious, but have you listened to Daft Punk's albums?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: April 24, 2016, 09:21:53 PM »

I'm supposed to be writing an essay, but I've devoted most of my time this past hour to listening to Flying Nun music instead.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx