gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:29:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cover songs better than their original  (Read 96904 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: June 04, 2020, 04:57:31 PM »

I don’t know if this has been mentioned in this space, but Johnny Rivers has to be included in any “cover versions” thread.  The guy took several songs that had previously been hits and made his own recordings, most of which were bigger hits by him than by the original artist.  “Maybelline”, “Memphis”, “Baby I Need Your Lovin”, “The Tracks of My Tears” - all huge hits for him.  He failed to top the success of the song’s originator when he covered some little-known tune called “Help Me, Rhonda”...

Great choice! Big fan of Johnny Rivers, and was fortunate enough to see him play live in Boston, summer of either '98 or '99. Not getting into whether Johnny's covers were "better" than the originals, but quite a few others alongside the ones you mentioned did eclipse the originals in terms of sales and visibility, where people know or knew Johnny's cover more than the original. Off the top of my head, "Seventh Son", "Rockin Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu" (GREAT piano licks on that one, I believe it was Larry Knechtel?), and "Swayin To The Music (Slow Dancin) in the later 70's. And of course "Mountain Of Love", Harold Dorman's old hit which Johnny made top 10 in '64. Someone may have addressed this, but I wonder if the Beach Boys Party! cover of that song was influenced more by Johnny's cover hit in '64 than Dorman's original.

Great records. And Johnny basically got the Whiskey A Go Go off the ground, I think he was the first resident artist there who packed that place every night when it was starting out, hence the live album that was big too. Lot of those with Joe Osborn playing bass after his gig with Ricky Nelson, they were friends in Louisiana I think.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 04:58:37 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
thefollicleneverdies
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 04, 2020, 04:59:23 PM »

Kenny Rogers - We've Got Tonight
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: June 04, 2020, 05:16:58 PM »

Speaking of Kenny Rogers..."Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)".  The original Teddy Hill version is a cool Memphis soul record, but Kenny and the First Edition owned that song after their version was released. It's hard to think of that song without all the pop/psych production touches.

Teddy Hill's original version of the Mickey Newbury song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFCVme78YL0
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 05:18:01 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 05, 2020, 08:04:36 AM »

Nice to see Johnny Rivers mentioned, was on a listening binge myself before Mtaber's post... Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 06, 2020, 09:04:10 AM »

Desi Arnaz "Granada" = the best.
Steve Lawrence-Eydie Gorme short 5th Dimension mash-up.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
thefollicleneverdies
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 12, 2020, 03:54:16 AM »

I don’t know if this has been mentioned in this space, but Johnny Rivers has to be included in any “cover versions” thread.  The guy took several songs that had previously been hits and made his own recordings, most of which were bigger hits by him than by the original artist.  “Maybelline”, “Memphis”, “Baby I Need Your Lovin”, “The Tracks of My Tears” - all huge hits for him.  He failed to top the success of the song’s originator when he covered some little-known tune called “Help Me, Rhonda”...

Great choice! Big fan of Johnny Rivers, and was fortunate enough to see him play live in Boston, summer of either '98 or '99. Not getting into whether Johnny's covers were "better" than the originals, but quite a few others alongside the ones you mentioned did eclipse the originals in terms of sales and visibility, where people know or knew Johnny's cover more than the original. Off the top of my head, "Seventh Son", "Rockin Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu" (GREAT piano licks on that one, I believe it was Larry Knechtel?), and "Swayin To The Music (Slow Dancin) in the later 70's. And of course "Mountain Of Love", Harold Dorman's old hit which Johnny made top 10 in '64. Someone may have addressed this, but I wonder if the Beach Boys Party! cover of that song was influenced more by Johnny's cover hit in '64 than Dorman's original.

Great records. And Johnny basically got the Whiskey A Go Go off the ground, I think he was the first resident artist there who packed that place every night when it was starting out, hence the live album that was big too. Lot of those with Joe Osborn playing bass after his gig with Ricky Nelson, they were friends in Louisiana I think.

I was not familiar with Harold Dorman's original when I head it on a compilation. What a mess.

Harold Dorfman or whatever, has No groove at all on that record.

PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: September 28, 2021, 08:43:24 AM »

An FYI . . .

Mark Dillon and I discussed "The Best of The Bech Boys: Cover Versions" on the Surf's Up: Beach Boys Podcast Safari:
https://music.amazon.ca/podcasts/bbc3bc9f-1e71-4a4f-be1d-69cdb86cff42/episodes/c431a0ba-177f-448e-b491-73fa7614d67b/surf's-up-a-beach-boys-podcast-safari-best-of-the-beach-boys'-cover-versions

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 18, 2022, 10:41:18 AM »

Heard Tavares' take on "She's Gone" while on holiday, decided to check out Hall & Oates' original and much preferred the cover version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP20RxVPUCk

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx