gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:42:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #12: Smiley Smile  (Read 39733 times)
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »

Magical album, one of the first I ever heard and probably the one that made me a fan.

1. Good Vibrations
2. Wind Chimes
3. Gettin' Hungry (I hate to see it so far down so many lists, even though the siongs at the bottom of my list are ones I still like a lot.)
4. Little Pad
5. With Me Tonight
6. Wonderful
7. Vegetables
8. Heroes and Villains (I'd get sick of this song if I listened to all the versions, so I only listen to versions with the "Cantina" section.)
9. She's Goin' Bald
10. Whistle In
11. Fall Breaks

Please delete my account
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »

01.  Heroes and Villains
02.  Wonderful
03.  Good Vibrations
04.  Wind Chimes   
05.  With Me Tonight
06.  Little Pad
07.  Vegetables
08.  Gettin' Hungry
09.  Fall Breaks and Back into Winter
10.  She's Goin' Bald
11.  Whistle In
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 09:56:10 AM »

1. Good Vibrations
2. Heroes & Villains
3. Wonderful
4. Vegetables
5. Wind Chimes
6. With Me Tonight
7. Little Pad
8. She’s Goin’ Bald
9. Fall Breaks & Back to Winter
10. Getting’ Hungry
11. Whistle In
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »

1) Good Vibrations
2) Heroes & Villians
tvko
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 03:25:43 PM »

1. Good Vibrations
2. Heroes and Villains
3. Vegetables
4. Little Pad
5. Gettin' Hungry
6. With Me Tonight (I love the TSS version)
7. Wind Chimes
8. Wonderful
9. She's Goin' Bald
10. Whistle In
11. Fall Breaks

It's a great album.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »

1) Good Vibrations
2) Heroes & Villians

1. Smiley Smile
2. Oxygen
3. Food
4. Sex

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »

1) Good Vibrations
2) Heroes & Villians

1. Smiley Smile
2. Oxygen
3. Food
4. Sex

In that order?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »

10. Little Pad - pointless

whatever.

what other Beach Boys songs do you find pointless, out of curiosity?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 09:40:21 PM »

1) Good Vibrations
2) Heroes & Villians

1. Smiley Smile
2. Oxygen
3. Food
4. Sex

In that order?

TOTALLY!

NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »

Got it  angel
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 09:25:17 AM »

10. Little Pad - pointless

whatever.

what other Beach Boys songs do you find pointless, out of curiosity?

Not too many, really.  Which is why I have such little affection for this particular album.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 10:14:28 AM »

do you find the song "Hawaii" pointless? How about "Let's Go Away For Awhile"? "Diamond Head" perhaps?

these songs all have the same basic theme as "Little Pad"

if a song is wistful and transportive, what's pointless about it? seems like you just want to crap all over Smiley Smile.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »

Total apples and oranges to me.  I think "Diamond Head" is a great atmospheric instrumental that really conjures the image of the title and I think "Hawaii" is a perfectly fine commercial pop song.  On the other hand I think "Little Pad" didn't have enough to stand on it's own without the added "humor", which I feel like is a punchline without a joke.  Am I supposed to take it serious?  If so, why are you laughing?  Oh right.  Head album.  OK... And if it's a joke, I don't get it.  Oh right again...   Smokin   

As I said in my original post, "I'm well aware my opinion could be seen as sacrilege to some but these are my honest to God feelings on each track." One of the good things about the Boys' lengthy career is there's something for everyone.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:15:39 AM by Phoenix » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »

Mike's Love > Smiley Smile

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 12:47:12 PM »

1) Good Vibrations
2) Heroes & Villians

Yep.   Evil
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »

Smiley Smile is pointless because several songs aren't even 3.5 minutes with a traditional pop song structure. I mean, what the f***?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 06:40:32 PM »

Smiley Smile is pointless because several songs aren't even 3.5 minutes with a traditional pop song structure. I mean, what the f***?

Not too far off, in accordance to my tastes.  I mean it's not like the band's big claim to fame isn't being the most successful American band on the POP SINGLES CHART! 

You know that thing they're really good at?  Personally, I REALLY like it when they do that.

As I said in my original post, "I'm well aware my opinion could be seen as sacrilege to some but these are my honest to God feelings on each track."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:42:45 PM by Phoenix » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »

Yes, totally. One of the big reasons I love visiting the Pop Singles Chart Dot Net Message Board.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »

Yes, totally. One of the big reasons I love visiting the Pop Singles Chart Dot Net Message Board.

Wow.  That's a lot of effort to miss a point.  You must be proud.  Do I actually have to type "your mileage may vary" to be allowed to disagree.  The point is the band's BIGGEST strength is making great "traditional" pop songs and I (me) really dig it when they do it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:03:43 PM by Phoenix » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »

Wow.  That's a lot of effort to miss a point.  You must be proud.  Do I actually have to type "your mileage may vary" to be allowed to disagree.  The point is the band's BIGGEST strength is making great "traditional" pop songs and I (me) really dig it when they do it.

I didn't miss your point, there actually is no point to miss. I was making a joke, that has a sting to it: this IS THE FRICKIN' SMILEY SMILE MESSAGE BOARD, not the Fun Fun Hits USA Board. The Beatles' biggest strength is making great traditional pop songs, as well. Nevertheless, items such as Tomorrow Never Knows are quite incredible. And Brian Wilson's experimental work is even better than that. But hey, I love the wide range of the band's work in the 1960's, and I think that, in fact, is what makes them deserving of such in-depth discussion as found on this board. I'm nutty like that, I don't narrow them down to just one thing. Of course, it is cool if you do, tho.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2012, 07:28:40 PM »

Apologies.  Just felt like a one-two punch from you and RD0 and thought I was getting ganged up on.  Truthfully, I don't really narrow them down to that one thing; as proved by my love of "Fall Breaks...", "I'm In Great Shape", and so many of their "esoteric" tracks.  As I've said on numerous occasions, I totally understand the whole "music for Brian to cool out to" period.  I just think they should got back to business (literally) a bit sooner. It's just with Smiley Smile (the album) specifically, I've tried (and tried and tried) but it just seems like the audio equivalent of the Fabs' MMT movie: It's just not to my tastes.  Undecided

Again, sorry for being snippy.  Please forgive.  Serenade
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:35:34 PM by Phoenix » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »

It's all good! Smiley is meant to be a cult album.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 09:18:22 PM »

I think "Little Pad" didn't have enough to stand on it's own without the added "humor", which I feel like is a punchline without a joke.  Am I supposed to take it serious?  If so, why are you laughing?  Oh right.  Head album.  OK... And if it's a joke, I don't get it.  Oh right again...   Smokin   

so in order to enjoy or "get" Little Pad the listener must be stoned?

you can actually remove the first 15 seconds of the song if the boys laughing really bothers you that much. You are still left with a full-fledged tune that runs 2mins and 15 secs. It has 3 distinct sections which is more than a lot of their songs. The spare backing of ukulele and steel guitar make it quite unique in their catalog, not to mention the lazy melody, dreamy harmonies and overall mellow vibe. A feeling of drifting away, whether on a raft or in a daydream.

i don't really feel like they tried to inject the song with humor. I think they captured a very genuine moment on tape where Brian cracked up and the guys followed suit  and he decided to include it as an intro to the song. No joke, no punchline. Just a lighthearted and authentic emotional release that he chose to share with the listener.

One thing Brian was trying to do with SMiLE was to make people laugh and yes... smile. The laughing intro to Little Pad is contagious and never fails to put a smile on my face. Whatever Brian said about laughter being the closest people get to God or the divine because they are in a state of surrender or pure uninhibited emotional response (or words to that effect) he does it in the first few seconds of Little Pad.

pretty ironic considering all the time and work he put into making SMiLE, attempting to achieve just that. are you supposed to take it serious? no. like all good music you are supposed to simply enjoy it and let it move you. if the sound of your favorite band having a laugh upsets you or makes you uncomfortable somehow, then in your words: i don't get it.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 10:43:17 PM »

Good point.  It's probably a matter of context too.  Here I am, scratching my head, trying (and trying) to get into the album) when I'm hit with that one.  I'll make it a point to listen to it as part of a more broad playlist and see if it does anything for me.  I'm mean, it's not like I WANT to dislike any of their stuff.  Undecided
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »

You know that thing they're really good at?  Personally, I REALLY like it when they do that.

Thing is, I feel they were/are "really good" at about a thousand different things, including beautiful fragments of music strung together cohesively in a non-standard format. I've never touched marijuana in my life and I totally get it. Just me, though, and sorry - didn't mean to make you feel ganged up on.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx