gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 01:16:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most Blatant Rip-off of a BB Song to Make the Singles Charts?  (Read 9804 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:07:42 AM »

This record by the Carvells made no. 31 in the UK in Dec 1977 and seems ripped very closely from 'Shut Down', so much so that I wonder if Brian should have got the royalties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Z08x-QyO0
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:25:35 AM »

This record by the Carvells made no. 31 in the UK in Dec 1977 and seems ripped very closely from 'Shut Down', so much so that I wonder if Brian should have got the royalties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Z08x-QyO0

The differences between that band in 1977 and bands wearing the BW influence in 2012:

In 2012:

1. Beards
2. Acoustic Guitars
3. Flannel
4. Limited edition vinyl releases
5. Melancholy lyrics

versus The Carvells 1977/78:

1. Clean shaven surfer look, Dennis-approved shaggy hair
2. Rickenbacker electric guitars
3. Matching white trousers
4. Normal vinyl releases
5. Fun lyrics

All things considered, I'll take the Carvells and '77/78 any day - that's a cool record!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »

Beach Baby by First Class was the most heavily influenced BB track to become a huge hit, in my opinion.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »

I second that! I guess there are songs that are blatant and songs that people thought were the BB's more in feel. But Beach Baby is at the top of the list.

How about "New York's A Lonely Town" by the Tradewinds, who got that mini-bump in status by getting name-checked on Mad Men?  Smiley  That one throws in BB's, Jan And Dean, Four Seasons...I can imagine people hearing it who don't know it and thinking Beach Boys especially with the sound and the surfer lyrics, although it's not a blatant one at all.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 10:25:08 AM »

Lonely Town is a great choice, definitely shooting for the Beach Boys, tho as it is a New York record, it sounds way more like the Seasons. They just have a different way of singing falsetto on the East Coast. I loved hearing the commentary for that Mad Men episode, where Matthew Weiner says that The Tradewinds were chosen because they actually opened at they Forest Hills show. I love that level of authenticity.

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 10:38:18 AM »

Henry Gross's tribute to Carl's deceased canine "Shannon" may have been the highest-charting record to be thoroughly BBs-influenced....and as it happens was released by Lifesong, the label that issued the Carvells' "LA Run" Stateside.

But I hadn't heard that Carvells song before. Pretty rockin'. I see the song was covered in Swedish by an outfit called Magnum Bonum and topped the charts there. That version lets us know what Swedes think about when they think about skating - namely, Big Macs and Skate City itself....New Orleans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uquCLdtzJfk
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »

The answer is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yus7IvioR_A
Kees
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »

Well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk9SYy5RRkM
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »

also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itTAg_6Hng4

a small hit in the Netherlands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C45Q4X68bEs

and this should have been a hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O83KBnfFNdc&playnext=1&list=PL493B25098557C386&feature=results_video
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:24:35 AM by Dutchie » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mixl3DFVnKE
Ray Stevens "Surfin ussr"
not sure it charted but it's cool never the less
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:52:59 AM »

...a couple of those Rip Chords singles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »

...a couple of those Rip Chords singles.
Bruce knew the BBs sound so well because he had been knocking them off for a while.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 12:01:35 PM »

Add any of those mid 60's hit records that had Gary Usher producing or writing about hot rods or surf I'd say owes something to The Beach Boys, if not a direct copy than a pretty close approximation of the sound. Terry Melcher, too.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »

Definitely, Gary Usher was a special case because he worked with Brian very early on.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »

I love the Tradewinds (aka The Videls, aka The Innocence, aka Pete Anders and Vini Poncia...) - and I also love Mad Men. In which episode were they referenced? Almost fell out of my seat when they made a Merseybeats reference last season...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 12:50:31 PM »

Tea Leaves was the episode.

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »

"Little GTO" by Ronnie and the Daytonas apes the BB/ J&D style pretty effectively.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »

That Mad Men episode was a standout because not only were the references cool but as mentioned the attention to detail - as the show usually does - was spot on, down to tracing it back to an actual Stones show at an actual location, rather than a fictional invention to enhance the storyline as other shows might do.

Long story short, in the episode Don and Harry Crane go backstage to the Stones show and they hoped to sign the Stones to do a commercial jingle for a client. Crane gets in, thinks he's meeting the Stones, comes out with an agreement, but he actually signed the Tradewinds to sing the jingle rather than the Stones. They never took it beyond that.

But like Mad Men does often, it sent their fanbase on a search for who or what the Tradewinds were, they found "New York...", and there was a bit of a buzz around the song. AMC shows do that so well, it's great how many fans have discovered new music that way. And it's all 100% period correct on Mad Men, the attention to detail is amazing.

That Vini Poncia was something of a Zelig character around pop music, wasn't he?  Smiley

Paulos
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »

It is a bit derivative of the Boys but I absolutely love Live For Sun, fantastic song.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »

Talking about 'I Live for the Sun' and rip-offs: I wonder if George Harrison knew this song. The "sun sun sun" on 'Here Comes the Sun' sounds not entirely dissimilar from the "sun sun sun sun" on this song.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »

That Mad Men episode was a standout because not only were the references cool but as mentioned the attention to detail - as the show usually does - was spot on, down to tracing it back to an actual Stones show at an actual location, rather than a fictional invention to enhance the storyline as other shows might do.

Long story short, in the episode Don and Harry Crane go backstage to the Stones show and they hoped to sign the Stones to do a commercial jingle for a client. Crane gets in, thinks he's meeting the Stones, comes out with an agreement, but he actually signed the Tradewinds to sing the jingle rather than the Stones. They never took it beyond that.

But like Mad Men does often, it sent their fanbase on a search for who or what the Tradewinds were, they found "New York...", and there was a bit of a buzz around the song. AMC shows do that so well, it's great how many fans have discovered new music that way. And it's all 100% period correct on Mad Men, the attention to detail is amazing.

That Vini Poncia was something of a Zelig character around pop music, wasn't he?  Smiley

Crazily enough, I have seen EVERY episode of Mad Men, but not this one! The latest season I caught as it aired, so maybe I was out one night and forgot to watch it the next day On Demand. I will have to search it out.

Knowing your musical tastes, I will have to suggest you check this out. It collects early 60s Poncia and Anders demos, Tradewinds, Innocence, some Videls, and other assorted rarities. The same company does a Neil Sedaka one that is out of this world as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANDERS-PONCIA-Masterworks-2CD-Set-64-Tracks-/280421096027

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lCbbaeX1eA

More a re write I guess..... And I don't thing it was a single, It just makes me laugh.
TomWollaert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »

This one wouldn't have existed without BWPS and Pet Sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqDBB0no6dQ

Though it's more of an homage.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:57:21 PM by TomWollaert » Logged

Mike Love's just a sentimental sap, you guys.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 08:21:17 PM »

And it's all 100% period correct on Mad Men, the attention to detail is amazing.

Well, almost 100%. Didn't they use a stereo mix of "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"?  LOL

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »

I LIV
4 TEH SUN
BCUZ
IT MAEKS FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, don't block my shade
Hold the lemonade
etc.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx