gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680774 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:34:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Songs with end sections you dislike  (Read 4472 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »

Airplane

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »

I like the ending to "Airplane", but the counting part sounds forced. It's like they have to show or prove that Brian is producing, but there's no big deal in counting down a song.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »

Count-offs kick ass. I wish more songs kept them.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 09:52:29 PM »

The "our!!!!! you can hear preceding the piano in "Johnny Carson" rox my sox.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 02:34:16 AM »

Nice songs with not so great tags: the studio versions of Funky Pretty and Marcella

My tag theory: if it sounds good with only one repeat, it is also good with more repeats.

The last 3 songs of the Surf's Up album (ADITLOAT,TID,SU) are great!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:36:10 AM by Jaco » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 03:58:08 AM »

California Girls.  Stunning opening that the rest can't live up to.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 06:05:41 AM »

I seem to remember Al saying he didn't like the end of Break Away because they were singing at too low a pitch, which "made us sound like old men". So my guess is that his concern was commercial. Remember that the context here was that they were experiencing financial difficulties, fishing for a new contract and desperate for a hit, and here was a full-blooded Brian Wilson production specifically tailored to that end - but in the view of Al, they blew it by failing to sound sufficiently "youthful", which he continued (rightly or wrongly) to perceive as synonymous with "commercial". From my perspective though, the end section of Break Away is awesome. The descending "ahh-ahh-ahh" bit is breathtaking - like a ray of sunlight flooding into a dark room.

Back on topic - I've never liked the fadeout on the otherwise lovely You Still Believe In Me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:08:54 AM by William Bowe » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 08:25:46 AM »

The accapella ending to the extended long version of God Only Knows. Probably the most amazing harmony vocalization I have ever heard.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 08:27:21 AM »

Sorry gang.....read this wrong......I thought it said LIKED.

I'd go for Breakaway for the Dmost disliked......big letdown after such a great tune.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 08:40:35 AM »

I could live without the fade out / in tricks in Help Me, Ronda.

Good call, that's the first one that came to me, too.  What the hell is the point?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 09:15:05 AM »

Good call, that's the first one that came to me, too.  What the hell is the point?

+1

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 09:26:01 AM »

Back on topic - I've never liked the fadeout on the otherwise lovely You Still Believe In Me.

I think the fadeout is the absolute best thing about You Still Believe In Me. It carries on the majestic-ness after you think it might have been a bit of a fluke on "Wouldn't It Be Nice". That fadeout and it's placement within the song and the album is one of the reasons why Pet Sounds is such a masterpiece.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »

+1

For the longest time I thought that fading was just a screwup on my downloaded version of the album...

I never would've thought that was the actual mix!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
AM Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 05:30:08 AM »

Marcella.  I like this song - especially the live version - and recall hearing it quite a bit back in '72 (mostly on juke box) but as a hit,  it didn't even crack the top 100. 

It could have been a really big hit but I think the reason it wasn't is that, despite starting off really strong and catchy, it starts to run out of gas after 2:22 when the decision is made to keep repeating the "one arm over my shoulder" coda for the remaining 1:30 instead of somehow returning to the main chorus. 

It seems like Brian either got a little lost on this one or he was going for a Beach Boys kind of feel that also appealed to a AOR audience.  I think it was the latter but this alteration of formula put it where it belongs, somewhere in the middle between Pop & Rock.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx