gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680998 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 10:23:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the Earliest Recorded Evidence of Brian's Vocal Deterioration?  (Read 16170 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »

WTF is up with Brian's voice at about 0:52 on that YT link?! The 'you got me rockin' part sounds very odd.

Count me as one of those who think Brian's vocals were recorded later...his voice sounds thin as sh*t.

Very thin. It almost sounds like young Brian with the lung capacity and technique of post '76 Brian. The perfect transitional example.

The notes he's trying to reach are high as f*ck. I don't know if he would've been able to sound great on that part without slipping into falsetto no matter what year it was.

Just to play devil's advocate I think it could be as early as '70. Imagine if the guy on the Breakaway demo tried to sing this. The vocal tone is also not too dissimilar from the "Walkin" lead.
MBE
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2012, 03:13:35 PM »

I don't make such a big deal about Don't You Just Know It. I think it's just an odd key for him, kind of like Bakers Man etc. Again people need to remember that his lead for Til I Die wasn't cut until spring 1971, his voice on Awake also soars that year, and Won't You Tell Him is wonderful as ever. I'd go as far as to say that if he got clean in late 1974 and lost the weight his voice would have been saved. Rolling Up To Heaven is evidence enough to me.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »

"Don't You Just Know It" sounds totally fine. 100% consistent with any other late 60s or early 70s vocal of his, albeit on a track that's much more upbeat than any of those songs. It'd be like if Brian had very few recorded vocals from 64-67 or something and people said his lead on the chorus of "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" was evidence of deterioration, it's just a matter of it being a very different song when stacked up against, say, "'Til I Die".

Maybe that's what's throwing people off, I don't know, but I'm surprised people are going on about it as if it's the worst recording in the history of recorded history recordingangogmngrrrrrrrrrrr. I don't hear anything suspect on the Spring album etc. either. I listen to "Rollin' Up To Heaven" and it really, really does seem as though 95% of the transition from his Smiley Smile through Holland voice to the 15 Big Ones voice happened overnight. I listen attentively, I was one of those people that others whined about for having "dog ears" with the errors on TSS, I love studying Brian's voice and the changes in it over time, but I'm not hearing a lot of the stuff folks are talking about in here. Just me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:32:46 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2012, 03:38:37 PM »

He sounds like he just woke up on DYJKI. Definitely doesn't sound like he's particularly "feeling it" here, compared to Til I Die or Awake for instance. I wonder what the circumstances were behind the recording.

It also doesn't help that his vocal is mixed extremely low in the record. There's an outtake floating around with a double tracked lead which if I recall was somewhat better.
MBE
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »

"Don't You Just Know It" sounds totally fine. 100% consistent with any other late 60s or early 70s vocal of his, albeit on a track that's much more upbeat than any of those songs. It'd be like if Brian had very few recorded vocals from 64-67 or something and people said his lead on the chorus of "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" was evidence of deterioration, it's just a matter of it being a very different song when stacked up against, say, "'Til I Die".

Maybe that's what's throwing people off, I don't know, but I'm surprised people are going on about it as if it's the worst recording in the history of recorded history recordingangogmngrrrrrrrrrrr. I don't hear anything suspect on the Spring album etc. either. I listen to "Rollin' Up To Heaven" and it really, really does seem as though 95% of the transition from his Smiley Smile through Holland voice to the 15 Big Ones voice happened overnight. I listen attentively, I was one of those people that others whined about for having "dog ears" with the errors on TSS, I love studying Brian's voice and the changes in it over time, but I'm not hearing a lot of the stuff folks are talking about in here. Just me.
You got it right my friend.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »

Yep, me too. It might not be a particularly earth-shattering or profound statement to make, but personally, I still think the tried and true, somewhere-in-1975 date is where I'd place the solid and marked deterioration (or the aforementioned "95%" of it...if you will). That's literally a different person's voice. I mean, even the guy on "Child Of Winter" from 11/74 is still "Brian Wilson: v1.0" to my ears (or perhaps, timbrally, v1.5).

That's where the hopefully forthcoming box set can really help fill in the blanks in giving us a closer idea as to when the big shift occurred. The precious few examples we have from early to mid '75 -- Boat To Sail, Help Me, Rhonda, WDFFIL -- offer few clues. Maybe that '75 version of ITBOMM holds the key? Or something else yet unheard...or a *bit* earlier?

Right now, "Back Home" is still the biggest star on the timeline for me.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2012, 03:33:18 AM »

One interesting thing that I noticed about the recording of Don't You Just Know It is that there are a few parts where Brian and Jan's "call and response" backing vocals don't always match. Possible evidence that they recorded their parts separately?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2012, 05:13:30 AM »

Am I the only one who can hear remnants of Brian's young voice in this live recording of "That Same Song" (awful song, in my opinion)? Anyone know what year this was recorded? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFeMd3HRtTg
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2012, 05:28:03 AM »

Am I the only one who can hear remnants of Brian's young voice in this live recording of "That Same Song" (awful song, in my opinion)? Anyone know what year this was recorded? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFeMd3HRtTg

the studio recording is aweful but that live version with the gospel choir makes it come so much alive, eccentric and VERY Brian
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2012, 07:46:01 AM »

After listening to the Beach Boys Ultimate Christmas set, I'd have to say that Winter Symphony is the missing link. You can really hear the transition between the young and old voice.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2012, 09:02:55 AM »

While listening to Winter Symphony yesterday I thought the same thing. I was thinking it was a 1974 track, the vocals were actually recorded in 1977. A "transition track" to me would be a 1974-1975 Brian vocal. The last one I can hear is "Child Of Winter" in late '74.

Then there's "Matchpoint Of Our Love" from 1978 which confuses things.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »

While listening to Winter Symphony yesterday I thought the same thing. I was thinking it was a 1974 track, the vocals were actually recorded in 1977. A "transition track" to me would be a 1974-1975 Brian vocal. The last one I can hear is "Child Of Winter" in late '74.

Then there's "Matchpoint Of Our Love" from 1978 which confuses things.  Grin

Oh My God!!!! Just listened to 'Matchpoint of our love'....this is an amazing, amazing song!!!! And this is from 1978?Huh From the MIU album??? And this is the same Brian that sang on 'Love You' one year before?Huh

Have you guys seen this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qb9vV-H9ec

I think I found my latest BB obsession...I feel like a really really bad fan for not knowing this (I tend to ignore anything post LY)...what was I thinking?Huh?

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2012, 01:46:02 PM »

One interesting thing that I noticed about the recording of Don't You Just Know It is that there are a few parts where Brian and Jan's "call and response" backing vocals don't always match. Possible evidence that they recorded their parts separately?

The better evidence is a booted version with only Brian's vocals.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »

Then there's "Matchpoint Of Our Love" from 1978 which confuses things.  Grin

Pretty close, Mikie, good memory - just had a quick look at the "Christmas with the..." track annotation by Brad Elliot;says the track sessions were '75 or '76 at Brother Studios; the vox and sweetenin' were Oct-Nov 1977 at MIU institute; so Match Point and WS are from the same egg.

Sorry if someone has also mentioned or linked, but thought the observations from C-Man's essay on POB and Dennis's vocals - while not answering the OP question - adds some context and confirms the 74/75 timeframe: C-Man notes a common factor to the change in their voices was the devastating psychological impact of Murry's death in '73 on Dennis and Brian, after which they aped Murray's manly chest register, evidenced in their speaking/singing voices.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:32:13 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2012, 03:30:42 PM »

The MIU sessions vocals - and never returning to that quality again - is more perplexing to me than any period.

In my opinion, the deterioration around 1974-75-76 can be explained in one word - cocaine. Not smoking, not drinking, not being rusty, not trying to sound masculine. I have a feeling that Brian CONTINUALLY went over to friends' houses (or in his room) and snorted large quantities of cocaine. I don't think Brian or anybody else could predict what voice Brian would be "left with" after scorching his vocal chords. Well, we found out in early 1976. It couldn't be much worse.

But, to some extent, he healed. While Stan & Rocky's methods of handling some issues could be questioned, I believe they did an excellent job in the short time they were hired to rehabilitate Brian physically. There was a huge difference in just one year from the Brian Wilson of 1976 and the Brian Wilson of mid-late 1977. As someone who purchased MIU on the day it was released, I was ecstatic. Not only could I live with Brian's MIU vocals, I liked them. And, then again, he was gone.

No lead vocals on L.A. Light Album, no lead vocals on Keepin' The Summer Alive. No lead vocals again until 1985. WTF? That's almost 8 long years of no Brian Wilson lead vocals on a Beach Boys' album! Those smooth, fairly calm, "normal", Brian vocals of 1977 were so short-lived. How frustrating. I love "Winter Symphony", 'Matchpoint", and "Wontcha Come Out Tonight". I could easily live with his falsetto on "She's Got Rhythm", on "Belles Of Paris", on the end of "Winds Of Change".

But, for some reason, when he re-merged the second time with Landy, he was employing that shouty, boisterous vocal style. Ugh. And, very rarely, and not consistently until around Gershwin and Disney, did Brian ever return to his relaxed singing style. Very frustrating. 

MBE
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »

One quick thing is that Cool, Cool, Water has vocals from the Smile., Wild Honey, and late Sunflower sessions from Brian and he is a perfect match.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »

How far apart were Brian's vocals for "She's Got Rhythm" and "Matchpoint" recorded? Matchpoint sounds great, almost like his pre-15BO years, but "She's Got Rhythm" sounds like the early form of his newer, "shouty" vocals. Could he have just been having a good/bad day on each recording, or is it because he's straining himself trying to do his old falsetto on She's Got Rhythm?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
MBE
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »

Both were fall of 1977. Brian was straining on the high notes on SGR so that's why you here a difference. Matchpoint was a better registar for him post 1974.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2012, 08:18:58 PM »

I never had a problem with Brian's falsetto on "She's Got Rhythm", maybe because it was following his vocals from 15 Big Ones and Love You. Considering where he had been a year earlier, it's quite remarkable. And, there aren't many (any?) better falsettos in the ensuing 35 years. Maybe a slightly better intro would've helped?
MBE
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »

I don't mind it either but he sounds more Frankie Vali than Brian Wilson there.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »

Ugh...Brian Wilson on his worst day is better than Frankie Valli on his best day. I fucking hate the Four Seasons. LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2012, 03:49:44 AM »

Ugh...Brian Wilson on his worst day is better than Frankie Valli on his best day. I f***ing hate the Four Seasons. LOL
Ok not that bad. I understand their appeal but it isn't for me.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2012, 01:36:03 AM »

Ugh...Brian Wilson on his worst day is better than Frankie Valli on his best day. I f***ing hate the Four Seasons. LOL

Don't really hate them, but cannot stand Valli's voice either. It's a bit like the Rubettes' Paul da Vinci.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2012, 01:38:59 AM »

Don't really hate them, but cannot stand Valli's voice either. It's a bit like the Rubettes' Paul da Vinci.

Blimey Don, the Rubettes! One of the first records I ever bought was Sugar Baby Love… Girlfriend was a bit horrified when it came on the radio yesterday and I could sing along!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2012, 01:53:39 AM »

Blimey Don, the Rubettes! One of the first records I ever bought was Sugar Baby Love… Girlfriend was a bit horrified when it came on the radio yesterday and I could sing along!

LOL

You can sing that high?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx