gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:16:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #11: Pet Sounds  (Read 47323 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2012, 06:33:48 AM »

In my opinion, the absolute greatest album ever made, and Brian, and the Beach Boys finest work ever. This album has completely changed my life. It changed the way I feel, think, and love. It's made me laugh, it's made me cry, it was there with me while I lived, and there with me when I wanted to die. This will be the first album I share with my children, and my children's children. There's just not enough good things to be said about it.

12. Pet Sounds - Nice instrumental. It would have been perfect in that Bond film. David really brought it to life this year.

11. Caroline, No - This is beautiful, but the only reason I'm putting it so low is the lack of background vocals. With those, it may have been one of my favorites.

10. I Know There's an Answer - Not sure if I like this or Ego more. They're both really great.

9. Sloop John B - I know I'll probably get punched or something for putting this so low, but I just feel it doesn't fit the theme of the album as well. Brian did an amazing job transforming it though.

8. Let's Go Away for Awhile - So beautiful. This is music that simply doesn't need words to show you what it means. That 12 string gets me every time. Brilliant!

7. Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder) - What a pretty song! The strings are pure emotion. Right on!

6. Here Today - Mike did such a great job on this. I really love the background vocals. So pretty!

5. I'm Waiting for the Day - Those drums are brilliant. The organ is brilliant. Singing is brilliant. Always stuck in my head.

4. I Just Wasn't Made for These Times - Sounds like Brian's anthem. Perfect song for him to sing.

3. You Still Believe In Me - Great tune! Really wonderful intro. Another perfect song for Brian to sing.

2. That's Not Me - What a wonderful song. I think everyone can relate to the lyrics at some point in time. Really nice guitar.

1.  God Only Knows - Maybe Carl's finest moment ever. Probably the best ballad ever written. I just couldn't bare to put it at number 2.

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice - Really can't say enough good stuff about this. Intro is awesome. Singing is perfect. Melodies are out of this world. Ahhhhh!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:48:58 AM by Letsgoawayforawhile » Logged

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 06:43:37 AM »

You forgot You Still Believe in Me. Smiley

1. God Only Knows
2. Wouldn't It Be Nice
3. Sloop John B.
4. I'm Waiting For The Day
5. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile
7. You Still Believe In Me
8. Here Today
9. That's Not Me
10. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
11. I Know There's An Answer
12. Caroline, No
13. Pet Sounds

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 06:44:59 AM »

You forgot You Still Believe in Me. Smiley

1. God Only Knows
2. Wouldn't It Be Nice
3. Sloop John B.
4. I'm Waiting For The Day
5. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
8. Here Today
9. That's Not Me
10. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
11. I Know There's An Answer
12. Caroline, No
13. Pet Sounds

Oh, shoot!
Thanks for noticing!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 06:55:38 AM »

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. Caroline, No
3. GOK
4. You Still Believe In Me
5. Sloop
6. Pet Sounds (especially loved David tearing it up at Wembley)
7. Don't Talk
8. Here Today
9. Let's Go Away For A While
10. I'm Waiting For The Day (sleeper favourite at times, not atm)
11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (It's far too much to listen to at points, although that is me being a dork and not a slight on it's incredible quality)
12. That's Not Me (hot and cold, again)
13. I Know There's An Answer (The only song on Pet Sounds I genuinely don't like - the hectoring tone of the lyrics is really out of place and jarring. I don't think much of the song itself, different lyrics or no. Bass harmonica and Banjo duel is really the only thing I like about it)

Maybe the list is slight heresy but my favourites on it change all the time - ask me a few months ago and it would have been a different list all together, y'know?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:06:10 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:32:13 AM »

1. God Only Knows
2. Wouldn't It Be Nice
3. I'm Waiting For The Day
4. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
5. I Know There's An Answer
6. Sloop John B.
8. Here Today
9. That's Not Me
10.Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
11.Pet Sounds
12. Caroline, No
13. Let's Go Away For a While

This album really does live up to it's hype, and in a way that only a handful of albums in history do (Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, Born To Run, Joshua Tree, Pet Sounds and maybe a few others).  Nothing about this album is overrated. I rated Caroline, No as 12 out of 13 and most songwriters in pop/rock history would be lucky to write one song 1/100th as good. An amazing collection...heartfelt, soulful, beautiful, inspiring. Sometimes I forget, being a diehard and digging so much deeper, how incredible and special this album is.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:47:03 AM »

Impossible for me to rate these songs.

When I first listened to this album, every song left me thinking 'how have I not heard this before?' - man, I really wish I could travel back to that evening and listen to this album in full wide-eyed amazement just once again.

I will say that Let's Go Away For Awhile is the only BB song where I'm left thinking I'm stoned when I listen to it - it sounds odd, but the layers and complexity of those chord changes, the orchestration, the buildups, the drum rolls - It feels like Brian created a place - not just a song.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:53:30 AM »

Impossible for me to rate these songs.

When I first listened to this album, every song left me thinking 'how have I not heard this before?' - man, I really wish I could travel back to that evening and listen to this album in full wide-eyed amazement just once again.

I will say that Let's Go Away For Awhile is the only BB song where I'm left thinking I'm stoned when I listen to it - it sounds odd, but the layers and complexity of those chord changes, the orchestration, the buildups, the drum rolls - It feels like Brian created a place - not just a song.

I agree!
It's probably my favorite instrumental.

- Dr. Seuss
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 08:06:14 AM »

This is difficult.

1a. God Only Knows
1b. Wouldn't It Be Nice
3. I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
4. Sloop John B
5. Caroline, No
6. You Still Believe in Me
7. Don't Talk
8. I'm Waiting for the Day
9. Here Today
10. That's Not Me
11. Let's Go Away for Awhile
12. I Know There's an Answer
13. Pet Sounds
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 08:16:44 AM »

Impossible.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 08:17:44 AM »

1. God Only Knows
2. Wouldn't It Be Nice
3. Sloop John B.
4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
5. You Still Believe In Me
6. Caroline, No
7. Pet Sounds
8. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
9. Let's Go Away For Awhile
10. I Know There's An Answer
11. That's Not Me
12. Here Today
13. I'm Waiting For The Day
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:21:52 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »

Tempted to agree with those who state it's impossible to rank these tracks.  This might have been the first album in rock that didn't have a weak track on it.

I'll try though…

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
3. God Only Knows (how I can put the greatest song ever written at number three has me stumped!)
4. That's Not Me (because it IS about me, so there!)
6= everything else.

I failed.

“We live in divisive times.”
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »

With all due respect, and to each his/her own and whatever floats your boat and all of that, but these rank-the-songs threads are like posting what is your favorite ice cream flavor. If someone says "Rocky Road!", and another says "No, Heavenly Hash!", and another says "Cherry Garcia, definitely!", and another says "Chocolate!",  where does it all add up?

I vote "Impossible", too. Across the board.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 08:51:27 AM »

With all due respect, and to each his/her own and whatever floats your boat and all of that, but these rank-the-songs threads are like posting what is your favorite ice cream flavor. If someone says "Rocky Road!", and another says "No, Heavenly Hash!", and another says "Cherry Garcia, definitely!", and another says "Chocolate!",  where does it all add up?

It's all out of curiosity. I enjoy the difference. I love that some of my favorite songs by them, are at the bottom of the lists of others. It just helps me, and hopefully other people appreciate songs, or albums they didn't fully appreciate before.

- Dr. Seuss
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »

Someone'll pull a chart together, and the one whose own chart is closest to the average chart wins a Cherry Garcia cone. No, a Chocolate. No no no, a Heavenly Hash…

“We live in divisive times.”
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 09:01:48 AM »

It's all out of curiosity. I enjoy the difference. I love that some of my favorite songs by them, are at the bottom of the lists of others. It just helps me, and hopefully other people appreciate songs, or albums they didn't fully appreciate before.

I respect that, but I think it's the ranking part of these threads that isn't necessary. From your introduction post in this one, I'd much rather read your personal opinion on the tracks as well as others adding thoughts, and the rankings make no difference. The problem here is that opinions are changing constantly, and I've been getting away from trying to rank things in numerical order because it's just like stating what kind of ice cream is best.

I always prefer to read thoughts on albums and songs that emphasize the personal aspects of the tracks, over trying to rank them in some kind of order. That's just my take on it, and again, the comments you first posted about your feelings on these individual tracks carry more weight than putting a number next to them, or explaining a numbered order. I'd absolutely read reviews/thoughts on any of the other albums if they followed that example!  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:33 AM »

I respect that, but I think it's the ranking part of these threads that isn't necessary. From your introduction post in this one, I'd much rather read your personal opinion on the tracks as well as others adding thoughts, and the rankings make no difference. The problem here is that opinions are changing constantly, and I've been getting away from trying to rank things in numerical order because it's just like stating what kind of ice cream is best.

I always prefer to read thoughts on albums and songs that emphasize the personal aspects of the tracks, over trying to rank them in some kind of order. That's just my take on it, and again, the comments you first posted about your feelings on these individual tracks carry more weight than putting a number next to them, or explaining a numbered order. I'd absolutely read reviews/thoughts on any of the other albums if they followed that example!  Smiley

Thanks for the input.
I encourage people to write their thoughts about every track. Sorry if my threads bum you out in any way!
Feel free to not rank, and just write what you love or hate about them! I'd definitely love reading it!

- Dr. Seuss
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 09:07:52 AM »

The problem is I don't have time to write 13 paragraphs, that's how long it would take to describe my feelings for each track. LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 09:09:54 AM »

Someone'll pull a chart together, and the one whose own chart is closest to the average chart wins a Cherry Garcia cone. No, a Chocolate. No no no, a Heavenly Hash…

Is that cone a sugar cone, a waffle cone, or one of those generic doughy-cones that you'd buy in a large box with a smiling clown on the front?  Cheesy

Since we're talking about Jersey and the Shore and all of that after 12-12, I'd enter the contest if we could add a Jersey Boardwalk-style ice cream slab sandwiched in between two hot waffles option...like this:

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »

The problem is I don't have time to write 13 paragraphs, that's how long it would take to describe my feelings for each track. LOL

I share the same problem.  Grin

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 09:17:46 AM »

Thanks for the input.
I encourage people to write their thoughts about every track. Sorry if my threads bum you out in any way!
Feel free to not rank, and just write what you love or hate about them! I'd definitely love reading it!

Oh no, I didn't mean it like they bum me out, because they don't!  Smiley

It was just a personal preference for reading the commentary itself and personal thoughts over the rankings themselves. I probably should have either worded it differently or not posted it at all, because nothing bums me out that way. I guess I just wanted to read more of the commentary than anything, because it was more interesting than the ranking system!

It's good stuff, the commentary in these threads.

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »

Thanks for the input.

Oh no, I didn't mean it like they bum me out, because they don't!  Smiley

It was just a personal preference for reading the commentary itself and personal thoughts over the rankings themselves. I probably should have either worded it differently or not posted it at all, because nothing bums me out that way. I guess I just wanted to read more of the commentary than anything, because it was more interesting than the ranking system!

It's good stuff, the commentary in these threads.

It's all good!
I'd love to read more thoughts on the tracks too.
I would post more about them, but I'm always on here on my phone, and it's just a pain to write and navigate on it.

- Dr. Seuss
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 10:39:14 AM »

Can't rank em.  I'll do a tier system:

Tier 1: Some of the most incredible music ever made in the history of the universe
Wouldn't It Be Nice
God Only Knows
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
You Still Believe In Me
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

Tier 2: These are absolutely incredible musical marvels
I Know There's An Answer
Pet Sounds
Let's Go Away for Awhile
Caroline, No

Tier 3: Wonderful, beautiful songs
Here Today
That's Not Me

Tier 4: Very very good songs

Sloop John B.
I'm Waiting For The Day
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 10:46:52 AM »

1. God Only Knows
2. Wouldn't It Be Nice
3. Caroline, No
4. Sloop John
7. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
8. Here Today
9. Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
10. I'm Waiting For the Day
11. Pet Sounds
12. That's Not Me
13. I Know There's An Answer

Always find it difficult to comment on this one.  There are some stone-cold classic tracks and every single one has a performance and production to its full potential.  I think I enjoy the top half of my list decidedly more, but there's a tendency for some of the other tracks to blend in among all the greatness.  Hearing one of these on shuffle for instance, shows the song for what they truly are.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. God Only Knows
3. That's Not Me - my favourite ballad ever sung by Mike, and brilliant lyrics
4. Caroline, No
5. I Just Wasn't...
6. Don't Talk- apart from the singles, the first song that really hit me.
7. Here Today- not the greatest chorus, but everything else is so good it doesn't matter.
8. Sloop John B
9. LGAFAW
10. You Still Believe In Me
11. Pet Sounds
12. I Know There's An Answer
13. I'm Waiting For The Day- the only track I'm not really keen on. I'd say it's a little too old fashioned but that makes no sense as I love old fashioned stuff,

Please delete my account
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »

All fantastic but, gun to my head:

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice (my favorite Beach Boys song)
2. Sloop John B (breath taking, whether its mono, stereo, instrumental, or accapella!)
3. God Only Knows (one of the greatest love songs of all time*)
4. Caroline, No (prefferably in the original speed and key for me)
5. Here Today (the middle section is one of the greatest pieces of music ever composed)
6. I'm Waiting For The Day (Love the track and the lyrics most)
7. You Still Believe In Me (Another fantastic love song that I relate to so much)
8. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (I'd like it more if the round was done by others besides Brian)
9. Pet Sounds (It's grown on me GREATLY over the years**)
10. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) ("Listen. Listen. Listen." I did and was almost moved to tears by what followed!)
11. I Know There's An Answer (My favorite "Al sounds like Brian" moment)
12. That's Not Me (I just don't dig the groovy lyrics daddy-o)
13. Let's Go Away For Awhile (By process of elimination only!)

* Behind only "Here, There & Everywhere", "Maybe I'm Amazed", and "Woman", in my opinion.

** I was once asked to "score" a (live) theatrical production of Hitchc*ck's Dial "M" For Murder and decided to use 60's music; mostly stuff from Pet Sounds, Smile, The Wichita Train Whistle Sings, side two of Yellow Submarine, and (anachronistically) some Danny Elfman stuff.  I chose "Pet Sounds" as Inspector Hubbard's designated theme.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:29:54 AM by Phoenix » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx