gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:57:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best Beatles Solo Albums.  (Read 20133 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »

Paul has written many a good lyric in his day.  "Somedays" off "Flaming Pie" and "Distractions" off "Flowers In The Dirt" immediately come to mind and that is just off the top of my head.

Yeah, when the feeling strikes he can do good work - Memory Almost Full struck me as quite lyrically strong, although I haven't listened to it in a while - but the guy also has songs called 'Mumbo' 'Bip Bop' 'Bap' etc. And lots of his most acclaimed work is gibberish, such as Jet, Uncle Albert, Coming Up (hell, all of McCartney II) or Band On The Run.

It's not a criticism, just how it is - the dude throws all his energy into his music as opposed to lyrics, unlike John or George. Late Beatles sorta typifies this, like The White Album features John exhuming dormant feelings about his mother/takes on the protest movement/the very concept of The Beatles themselves and Paul sings about his dog and that it's your birthday today - not that John doesn't have his 'dumb' moments on The White Album lyrically but as a contrast Macca doesn't step up his lyrical game to that level, just writing parody (Back In The USSR) or genre exercise (Helter Skelter, Honey Pie, Ob La Di). And they're great, well maybe not Ob La Di, but that's just how he writes.

Of course, late Beatles also shows John sliding lyrically into gibberish too - what the sh*t is Dig A Pony or Come Together 'about', etc) and Paul stretching that genre formalism to breaking point - 'comedy' like Maxwell, writing The Great Love Song with Long & Winding Road, folky ditties like Teddy Boy, 50's sh*t like Oh Darling, gospel rock with Let It Be, etc.

Rambling a bit, but it's a slow day at the office.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2014, 09:37:41 PM »

John: Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Sometime In New York City, Double Fantasy
Paul (Solo): McCartney, McCartney II, Tug Of War, Pipes Of Peace
Paul (Wings): Band On The Run, Venus And Mars
George: All Things Must Pass, Living In The Material World, Cloud Nine
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:29 PM »

Wow, someone actually likes Sometime in New York City. And Pipes of Peace (an unfairly maligned album IMHO).
bluesno1fann
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »

Wow, someone actually likes Sometime in New York City. And Pipes of Peace (an unfairly maligned album IMHO).

I suppose I quite like Pipes Of Peace, after all it's got Say Say Say. Though I have to admit I don't care for a large percentage of solo McCartney.
And I love Sometime In New York City. Still say it's his fourth-best solo album (behind the other 3 I mentioned). Other than it being very political, I don't see why it's so disliked, it's a great album IMO.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2014, 01:54:40 AM »

1. Paul McCartney - Venus and Mars
2. Paul McCartney - Ram
3. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
4. Paul McCartney - Back To The Egg
5. Paul McCartney - Chaos and Creation In The Backyard

6. Paul McCartney - Band on the Run
7. John Lennon - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
8. John Lennon - Imagine
9. Paul McCartney - Tug Of War
10. John Lenonn - Double Fantasy
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2014, 03:20:22 AM »

The original unreleased version of McCartney II
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2014, 06:46:45 AM »

RINGO'S ROTOGRAVURE

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2014, 10:31:02 AM »

RINGO'S ROTOGRAVURE
That's actually not a bad album. Not as good as "Ringo" from '73, but I'd say equal to Goodnight Vienna.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2014, 11:47:03 AM »

I agree, I really like the song 'Cookin'!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »

What is this? McCartney II is the only McCartney album I like so this intrigues me!
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »

What is this? McCartney II is the only McCartney album I like so this intrigues me!

It's like the released version, but even weirder. I believe his record company refused to put it out or something like that.
So you can guess that most of McCartney's fans actively dislike it.

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/mccartney-paul/paul-mccartney-the-lost-mccartney-album-strange-apple-sar-010/

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »

It's like the released version, but even weirder. I believe his record company refused to put it out or something like that.
So you can guess that most of McCartney's fans actively dislike it.

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/mccartney-paul/paul-mccartney-the-lost-mccartney-album-strange-apple-sar-010/

Unless the mixes are different still, these previously-unreleased songs and alternate, longer mixes of album tracks are all included on the 2011 Archive Collection release of McCartney II.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2014, 01:43:55 AM »

As a casual Beatles fan only, i can only think of six that I know and like (here in chronological order per Beatle):

George Harrison----All Things Must Pass

John Lennon----John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Walls and Bridges

Paul McCartney----McCartney, Band on the Run

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »

1. Band on the Run
2. All Things must pass
3. Imagine
4. Venus & Mars
5. Ringo
6. Flaming Pie
7. Cloud Nine
8. Mind Games
9. George Harrison
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2014, 07:35:15 PM »

McCartney's first solo album, easily.

Not sure after that.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2014, 07:45:30 PM »

I haven't really dug that deeply into Beatles solo records.

Of Paul, I've listened to Ram, McCartney, and Chaos and Creation in the Backyard - all of which I've enjoyed and are quite good.
I have all of John's albums due to a nifty box set, but haven't listened to them all. His debut is alright (although seemingly forgettable) and Imagine is only worth a mention for how much I love "Crippled Inside." Maybe John just ain't for me.
Of George, I wouldn't hesitate to say All Things Must Pass is a fantastic record, despite not listening to the damn thing yet. I've heard "My Sweet Lord," "Isn't It a Pity," "What Is Life," and "Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)," which are all outstanding songs. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »

Like you Bubbly, I can't say I've delved too deeply into Beatles solo-country.  The few that I have, didn't have me craving for more.  But I'm not a Beatle-lover.

But this one was like a 3-ton megatron bomb -- the second I heard it.

I'm fairly confident in saying this is the one.  I mean sh-t... George Harrison had been living under the shadow of one of music's biggest songwriting duos.... and being no slouch of a songwriter himself, Harrison just f-cking unloaded.

Love the gnomes too.   3D

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2014, 10:56:52 PM »

The only negative thing I can say about ATMP is that is was so incredibly great, George was never able to come up with another album that matched it - although I like almost everything he did, even critically derided albums like Dark Horse, Extra Texture, and Gone Troppo.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2014, 04:57:51 AM »

Like you Bubbly, I can't say I've delved too deeply into Beatles solo-country.  The few that I have, didn't have me craving for more.  But I'm not a Beatle-lover.

But this one was like a 3-ton megatron bomb -- the second I heard it.

I'm fairly confident in saying this is the one.  I mean sh-t... George Harrison had been living under the shadow of one of music's biggest songwriting duos.... and being no slouch of a songwriter himself, Harrison just f-cking unloaded.

Love the gnomes too.   3D

Don't forget the Spector touch, he took a song such as Wah Wah with it's basic guitar riff and nothing lyrics and turned it into a wall of sound hard rock epic.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2014, 06:53:36 AM »

I haven't really dug that deeply into Beatles solo records.

Of Paul, I've listened to Ram, McCartney, and Chaos and Creation in the Backyard - all of which I've enjoyed and are quite good.
Imagine is only worth a mention for how much I love "Crippled Inside." Maybe John just ain't for me.
Of George, I wouldn't hesitate to say All Things Must Pass is a fantastic record, despite not listening to the damn thing yet. I've heard "My Sweet Lord," "Isn't It a Pity," "What Is Life," and "Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)," which are all outstanding songs.  
Mr. Waves, we don't usually agree on anything (e.g. I think Harry Nilsson is a terrible singer), but this time you summed up my own thoughts. For starters, I absolutely love "Crippled Inside", the intro with George is so beautiful & kind, dig the off-kilter positive vibe of the song. Cool to know someone besides me likes it. But as you've said, not a big John fan as well.
"Chaos & Creation..." is possibly my favorite McCartney solo record. "English Tea" & "Jenny Wren" are esp. amazing.
On George, I agree with your picks, except "Isn't It a Pity?", I would also add the title track with its ravishing Hawaiian sonic imagery.

Now, what about Ringo? This chum gets often forgotten. What you heard & what you liked?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:55:05 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2014, 07:26:18 AM »

To be honest, not much. I once had that compilation of Songs They Gave Away, which had "I'm the Greatest." It was a fine song, but that's pretty much the extent of my Ringo listening.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2014, 09:51:06 PM »

Just out of interest & because it's interesting to compare, you should seek out Ringo's stuff (CD/vinyl/watever you like & found in mint condition coupled with low cost) & give it thoroughful listen. Even though he's not an accomplished songwriter, there are still some gems out there. And frankly, "I'm the Greatest" isn't like the best of his songs, so don't judge him by that one which btw was written by John Lennon & handed to Ringo because he thought the latter would sing the title in a less arrogant way. I'll for one advise you to check out either "Y Not" of the latest (co-credit with Van Dyke, by the by) or "Vertical Man".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2014, 11:41:26 PM »

Just out of interest & because it's interesting to compare, you should seek out Ringo's stuff (CD/vinyl/watever you like & found in mint condition coupled with low cost) & give it thoroughful listen. Even though he's not an accomplished songwriter, there are still some gems out there. And frankly, "I'm the Greatest" isn't like the best of his songs, so don't judge him by that one which btw was written by John Lennon & handed to Ringo because he thought the latter would sing the title in a less arrogant way. I'll for one advise you to check out either "Y Not" of the latest (co-credit with Van Dyke, by the by) or "Vertical Man".
To tell you the truth, I never understood all the fuss about I'm the Greatest". The song itself is not the greatest, I think it's just the idea of John writing it for Ringo, and the fact that John, George and Ringo are reunited on the song. I really like "Vertical Man" a lot, I think Ringo and Mark Hudson made a good team. They also did one of the better rock and roll Christmas albums, "I Wanna Be Santa Claus".
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2014, 10:39:06 PM »

To tell you the truth, I never understood all the fuss about I'm the Greatest". The song itself is not the greatest, I think it's just the idea of John writing it for Ringo, and the fact that John, George and Ringo are reunited on the song. I really like "Vertical Man" a lot, I think Ringo and Mark Hudson made a good team. They also did one of the better rock and roll Christmas albums, "I Wanna Be Santa Claus".
Wow, don't know how it fell off my radar, esp. considering I'm a huge fan of Christmas music. What's in your opinion the best tracks of the album? I'm asking because I want to compare my own picks (as I find out later) with your favorites; it's a fun thing to compare tastes, you know. Thanks in advance. And thanks for recommending sth. new to my playlist. Hope Ringo's stuff is as good as Macca's "Wonderful Christmastime".

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2014, 11:36:59 PM »

Wow, don't know how it fell off my radar, esp. considering I'm a huge fan of Christmas music. What's in your opinion the best tracks of the album? I'm asking because I want to compare my own picks (as I find out later) with your favorites; it's a fun thing to compare tastes, you know. Thanks in advance. And thanks for recommending sth. new to my playlist. Hope Ringo's stuff is as good as Macca's "Wonderful Christmastime".
Nobody bought Ringo's Xmas album, sadly, cause I love it. My favorites are the title track and "The Christmas Dance", which is kind of a skiffle track. Some great drumming on the opening track, too, "Come on Christmas".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx