gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:26:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why So Few Lead Vocals With Al Jardine?  (Read 15189 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »

I guess the question that should be asked here is...what tunes in the BB canon does anyone think would be better if Al had sung lead?

California Saga: California

I think, in the end, Al worked out as mainly a utility type of guy and provided that great and VERY Beach Boys strength in the harmony blend. I think it's pretty inarguable that Al had the strongest voice. I don't mean the best voice, but the one with the most consistent tone, timber, attack. He created a firm and powerful foundation for the more expressive and emotional voices to join themselves to.
What do you mean by it, Mr. H? I hear plenty of emotion & expression in such songs as Come Go With Me, Lady Lynda (M.I.U. mix), I Know There's An Answer, In Concert v-n of Heroes & Villains to name a few. So, it easily makes Al join the league of the best singers in the group, doesn't it? If not, what is "the best voice" in your understanding? What qualities must the singer have in order to be labeled as "the best voice"? As someone who studied music, it's very interesting for me to know about that, listen to your explanation.

I agree but it's not the same kind of feeling or emotion we hear in a "Be With Me" or "God Only Knows". It's a subtle thing and maybe I'm full of merda. But I'm just thinking that the guy with the most powerful voice in the group would likely be used as a strong support and highly valued as such. But a by=product of this would be he's end up getting less leads.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 05:37:17 AM »

I guess the question that should be asked here is...what tunes in the BB canon does anyone think would be better if Al had sung lead?

I think he'd have done a better job on the lead vocal of "Isn't It Time"...

I actually agree with this sentiment. In fact, when I saw that Al was back in the studio in Europe doing his vocals for the reworked single version, my first assumption was that the band was going to "go for broke" and indeed have him replace Brian's first-verse vocal. In truth, after hearing the album version, I think I actually would have preferred it this way from the get-go. And while I do think Brian sounded fine, and even *quite* nice elsewhere on the album, and while, probably in a minority view, I actually (much!) prefer the reworking of IIT to the original, if they honestly were looking to achieve substantial radio play (and striving for a "hit" single), it probably really would have been a better idea to have Al sing that initial verse (IMHO).

On the other hand, this most likely would've been a highly controversial and politically volatile move to make. At least, after-the-fact of the original recording/release. That is, I *get* why Brian sang it to begin with......and why it remained that way.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:54:58 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 05:42:37 AM »

Was Al insufficiently forthright? Did he just get bumped by stronger egos?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 07:01:33 AM »

Al's still retained his great voice, no doubt. But the new album made me realize that Brian's current voice has become somewhat iconic - perhaps not in the way his old voice was, but nevertheless, it is still a voice that is now instantly recognizable as Brian's voice. It's funny because I remember a lot of discussions at the beginning of the 2000s centered around Brian's voice - the tragedy of his voice, etc. Yet in the last ten years or so, I think many of us became accustomed to his new voice because of the relentless touring and releases. It is far from perfect, and something wholly different from what it once was, but Brian seems to have taken ownership of this new voice and has done some interesting things with it. When I hear Brian on the new album, I think, hey that's the guy from BWPS or Gershwin or Lucky Old Sun - I know that guy! That doesn't happen so much when Al sings, as great as he is.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 08:16:33 AM »

Maybe Al didn't get more vocals in the past because his voice was so similar to Brian's non-falsetto voice. Take "I Know There's An Answer." For a long time I thought it was Brian on the verses – after Mike singing the first line of each verse, of course). Part of it was reading the liner notes, since David Leaf's policy seems to be, "When in doubt, automatically credit Brian (see also, "All Dressed Up For School" (Carl) and "Be Here in the Morning" (Al).

Speaking of "I Know There's an Answer," we know that Al wasn't comfortable singing those lyrics, even though he did a great job. It's interesting that Brian gave Al, the straightest member of the band, the most "trippy" lyrics on Pet Sounds to sing.

As for songs that would have sounded better with Al, I think "Getcha Back" is one. Supposedly Mike himself didn't like his vocal on that one.

I also think Brian should have let Al do at least one verse on "Sloop John B" since it was his idea to do the song. Instead of Brian-Mike-Brian, do Al-Mike-Brian.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 09:25:27 AM »

It wouldn't be an altogether mad idea for Brian & Al to do a Pet Sounds tour.
Bill Ed
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »

I suspect that the paucity of Al Jardine lead vocals is due in large part to his not being a "made man" in the family.

We do have some concrete examples of how some songs would have worked with Al on lead. I much prefer the Smile version of Vegetables over the Smiley version. Of course part of it is the production, but Al was great on the lead vocal and his being replaced couldn't have been on artistic grounds.

I rather prefer Al's vocal on the Today version of Help Me Rhonda, which lacks Mike's nasal interruption. (Mike's background vocals are great, and even his "Help me Rhonda yeah" works, but I wish it were all Al on lead.)

California could have been a classic Al Jardine lead vocal. Maybe handing it over to Mike was the price he paid for its inclusion on the album. The song obviously has a strong folk vibe going on, so why not let the resident folk singer, who wrote the thing after all, sing it?

I much prefer the version of California Dreaming with Al and Carl doing all the leads. My guess is that covering the song was Al's idea, so it's nice that he got to sing lead on most of it.

Finally, I know it's not a Beach Boys record, but I think Brian's first solo album could have been a lot better if Carl and Al had made guest appearances as lead vocalists.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »

That's the first I've read that Mike has acknowledged how poor his vocal was on Getcha Back.  Al would have done well on that song, would have liked to hear him sing it live on the 50th tour.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 01:49:09 AM »

I much prefer the Smile version of Vegetables over the Smiley version. Of course part of it is the production, but Al was great on the lead vocal and his being replaced couldn't have been on artistic grounds.

That's interesting - I feel exactly the other way round. Al's April 1967 vocal sounds pretty bored to me, and I have about 8 times more fun listening to the Smiley version.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Bill Ed
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »

Micha, the Smile version of Vegetables was an immediate standout to me, and I believe to a lot of other folks as well. I could never have imagined how intricate and ambitious the track Brian wanted to make was until I heard the Smile box. One reviewer of Smiley Smile remarked that the instant he heard the bass which opens the Smiley Smile version of Vegetables he knew that Brian had thrown in the towel as a producer.

I listened to the Smile and Smiley versions back-to-back and I can't understand what leads you to the conclusion that Al sounded bored. The vocals on the Smiley version sound as if someone had taken too much Valium.  I still like the Smiley Smile version, particularly the extended stereo mix on Hawthorne, just not as much.

I'm probably in a minority here, but I prefer the Smiley Smile versions of Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains, and Wind Chimes over their Smile counterparts.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 05:50:26 PM »

Micha, the Smile version of Vegetables was an immediate standout to me, and I believe to a lot of other folks as well. I could never have imagined how intricate and ambitious the track Brian wanted to make was until I heard the Smile box. One reviewer of Smiley Smile remarked that the instant he heard the bass which opens the Smiley Smile version of Vegetables he knew that Brian had thrown in the towel as a producer.

I listened to the Smile and Smiley versions back-to-back and I can't understand what leads you to the conclusion that Al sounded bored. The vocals on the Smiley version sound as if someone had taken too much Valium.  I still like the Smiley Smile version, particularly the extended stereo mix on Hawthorne, just not as much.

I'm probably in a minority here, but I prefer the Smiley Smile versions of Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains, and Wind Chimes over their Smile counterparts.

Well, first off, I'll say that I agree with you about "Heroes And Villains". I think the Smiley Smile version is the best version. Especially the stereo remix as it appears on Hawthorne, CA. However, when you say "Smile counterparts", what do you mean? The versions on The SMiLE Sessions? Cuz I mean, it's pretty obvious that if the album got released in 1967, that the single version of "Good Vibrations" woulda been on it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »

Al's still retained his great voice, no doubt. But the new album made me realize that Brian's current voice has become somewhat iconic - perhaps not in the way his old voice was, but nevertheless, it is still a voice that is now instantly recognizable as Brian's voice. It's funny because I remember a lot of discussions at the beginning of the 2000s centered around Brian's voice - the tragedy of his voice, etc. Yet in the last ten years or so, I think many of us became accustomed to his new voice because of the relentless touring and releases. It is far from perfect, and something wholly different from what it once was, but Brian seems to have taken ownership of this new voice and has done some interesting things with it. When I hear Brian on the new album, I think, hey that's the guy from BWPS or Gershwin or Lucky Old Sun - I know that guy! That doesn't happen so much when Al sings, as great as he is.

Great post! I think a lot of it comes from the fact that Brian's comfortable with his voice now; he showed on this tour that when he's on, he's as good as he ever was (just in a different way).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 06:01:20 AM »

It's probably only me, and as this is all opinion, the only fact I can claim is that Al's lead sounds bored to me, valiumed, whereas the Smiley harmony vocal arrangement doesn't sound valiumed but intentionally silly. Mike's tongue-in-cheek lead on the cornucopia version is better, too. And I love the lone bass of the Smiley version, it's more funny to me than the weird bass rhythm of the SMiLE version. I just compared the two too, and it's just that way, I can't help it.

I'm with you though in preferring the Smiley version of Wind Chimes which is really a totally different song with just the same lyrics. There's some valium for ya! Grin

Wonderful though is not as good as the harpsichord version, though. But I like to listen to Smiley on Christmas, it fits the silent mood of Christmas very well.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 06:51:48 AM »

i could care less for an op's question, what rrrrreally bothers me is WHY SO FEW LEADS WITH BRUCE ?? i mean, he had an astounding voice! it's not the best (Denny) but who cares?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 03:15:29 AM »

I was actually kinda surprised that MIKE had so few leads on TWGMTR...  really, considering that he's the 'lead singer' of the band.  Not that this hasn't happened before, but he doesn't sing a whole lot of leads on the album.  The only songs he gets a full lead are "Daybreak" and "Beaches in Mind,' plus he sings some of the leads on "Spring Vacation" and "Isn't It Time."  4 out of 12 isn't much. 

Considering that Al has been more of a harmony singer throughout the band's history, he does pretty well:  most of "From There to Back Again," part of "Isn't It Time," and the last line on the verses of the title track.  Plus, basically he is the lead vocalist of "Think About the Days," if you can say that song has a lead vocalist.  That's a pretty fair amount. 

As for Bruce, he gets part of "Isn't It Time," and the last two lines of each verse on "Spring Vacation."  Overall, it's a pretty balanced mix, though I do wish that they could have put Dave in there somewhere! 
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 07:16:26 PM »

I think "Think About the Days" is beautiful too.  And Al has the most dominant, mid-range part--everyone else is singing around him.  Bruce gets some nice stuff in there too, as does Jeff, but Al gets the part that is closest to a lead vocal. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 11:57:47 PM »

Since Carl has passed on, Al easily has the best voice in the Beach Boys. Hell, that's one of the things I like about him the most. His voice has easily aged the best (along with the even more underused Bruce), and it's shocking that he didn't get as many leads as he did on TWGMTR.

He still sounds like he's in his early 20's, and if there's ever a future Beach Boys album, I think Al must get at least the majority of the lead vocals. I'd hate to say it, but Brian's voice has easily aged the worst, and admittedly his vocals for me is hard to listen to since the Landy era. I guess that's a big reason why the 88 album is my favourite Brian solo album. And Mike's hasn't aged too well either, though not quite as bad as Brian.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2014, 02:04:28 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:18:46 PM by zatch » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 02:47:15 AM »

I think those are pretty common opinions around here. Mike's held on a lot longer than Brian's, though; his must've lost most of it's strength somewhere in the 2000s. It was still pretty solid on SIP and Stars + Stripes.

Not sure about that.

I think that Mike`s voice was at it`s worst (ie. most nasal) the from around 1980 into the 2000s. Listen to his vocals on the studio version of Santa Ana Winds (this is one where Al should have sung the whole song which he did in concert), his live rendition of Imagine, his live performance of Do It Again from the Nashville Sounds video etc.

Over the past several years Mike has sung better than previously (though obviously not as well as he did in his salad days) and does a good job in concert considering his age.

In the studio it is not really a problem as they can fix any bum notes. Mike sounds fine on TWGMTR and on his unreleased solo album to my ears.

It is in concert that I think Al should have been given more leads and he was definitely under-utilized when he toured with Brian last year. It certainly wouldn`t be a surprise if he didn`t tour with Brian again this year...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2014, 07:41:45 AM »

I much prefer the Smile version of Vegetables over the Smiley version. Of course part of it is the production, but Al was great on the lead vocal and his being replaced couldn't have been on artistic grounds.

That's interesting - I feel exactly the other way round. Al's April 1967 vocal sounds pretty bored to me, and I have about 8 times more fun listening to the Smiley version.

Right, I don't like how Al says "vheyjtibles". Is that a Californian thing? Sometimes I'm up all night thinking about this.

Also, I'm thinking Al being sacked as the vocalist for that one WAS on artistic grounds considering he wasn't so much as replaced by another member, but all members. The song, or at least the Smiley version, is all the better for it. Consider how many leads were changed between Smile and Smiley Smile - "Vega-Tables" goes from Al to a group vocal, "Wind Chimes" goes from Carl to a group vocal, "She's Goin' Bald" goes from Brian to a group vocal, "Wonderful" goes from Brian to Carl (although I think the "Rock With Me Henry" version is later than the version that appears on disc 1 of TSS, but still), etc.

That said, Al is indeed way too underutilized as a vocalist, especially on TWGMTR.

Also, Mike's voice indeed turned to piss some time in the 90s and was on the decline as early as BB85, I'd say. That Nascar record though, holy sh*t, the guy's voice is so bad it's sort of amusing. He seemed to eventually, y'know, realize his voice had aged and he'd worn it out from years of wheeeeeeeinning, and on the '05 solo material and TWGMTR, he works with the age and wear instead of against it as he had on the Nascar record etc. The results are pretty good, to me.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 08:37:45 AM »

Brian has said several times he wishes he had given Al more leads.

Mike's voice from about 82-06??? steadily declined. He never adjusted to his voice changing, tried to sing the same way, and didn't seem to put that much effort into it. That changed in the mid-late 00s and we are all better off for it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:39:55 AM by tpesky » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »

Right, I don't like how Al says "vheyjtibles". Is that a Californian thing?

I would like to represent Californians everywhere and say that we pronounce vegetables as "vech-tuh-buhls."
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2014, 11:47:23 AM »

Al doesn't have as much versatility as a vocalist than most of the other members do... Dennis similarly didn't get many leads...

Idkkk
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »

Al doesn't have as much versatility as a vocalist than most of the other members do... Dennis similarly didn't get many leads...
If you wrote this to get reaction - it worked, as I cannot pass this comment by & strongly disagree with you, because if a lack of versatility meant a few leads, then why Al not Carl was chosen for lead vocal in "You Still Believe In Me" & "Heroes & Villains" in concert? I'd say those are pretty tough songs for singing, esp. live. Don't you think so? As for Dennis, I think you're just not a fan of his voice.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx