gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 08:33:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Albums Of The Year  (Read 6044 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 08:15:48 AM »

I've been having a really good time making myself a best-of-'12 playlist, but honestly not a lot of albums struck me as really good.

You got that on Spotify? I'm in my catch-up phase atm, as it is every year. Another good (maybe not great, due to the oddities of Damon Albarn) record is Bobby Womack's one.

You should give the Frank Ocean record a shot, too. It's maybe not deserving of the evangelical hype, but it's a great listen.

Listening to Ocean again now, btw. Must admit, finding more that I like in it now than I did when it first came out.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »

All you people who like Channel Orange, have you listened to Nostalgia Ultra? The critics didn't like that one as much but I don't think there's one song on Channel Orange that's better than Novacane or American Wedding or Nature Feels.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 04:52:36 PM »

All you people who like Channel Orange, have you listened to Nostalgia Ultra? The critics didn't like that one as much but I don't think there's one song on Channel Orange that's better than Novacane or American Wedding or Nature Feels.

I haven't. I have Novacane and wasn't ever a huge fan of that, so I didn't dig in further. I'll get through Nostalgia Ultra at some point, probably. Though I end up really liking only maybe half a dozen songs on Channel Orange, too. So I can't really say I'm much of a F. Ocean fan.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 01:15:47 AM »

I didn't listen to a single album released this year besides TWGMTR, and even that one I only listened to once. Man do I feel old.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 06:08:10 AM »

I mentioned Nostalgia Ultra earlier. I think it's better than Channel Orange. It's incredible. Strawberry Swing, and Swim Good are my jams.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
MBE
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 01:45:40 AM »

Tempest and That's Why God Made The Radio are my two favorite new ones.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 01:52:34 AM »

Tempest and That's Why God Made The Radio are my two favorite new ones.
+1

Right on, Mike - Tempest is a real blow out.

From a local perstpective, these guys really impressed me - https://soundcloud.com/singhalamusic/sets/the-bluebottles - and were nice enough to send me a copy of their cd for nix - rock on!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
MBE
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 02:31:42 AM »

Dylan or Brian may not sing as good as they did back in the sixties or early seventies, but they are still two of the best songwriters around even if TWGMTR was written over 1997-2012. Plus they take pains make their music sound vibrant and pure, something they both forgot in the mid eighties.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:32:56 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 02:35:19 AM »

New albums:

Frank Ocean - Channel orange. My favourite this year by a mile.
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Melody's Echo Chamber
That's Why God Made The Radio
Beach House - Bloom
Dr John - Locked Down
Django Django

Old stuff I've discovered this year:

Errol Garner - Concert By The Sea. Wow, this is one of the best live albums I've ever heard! I never knew about this guy.
Bill Evans - Alone, Conversations with Myself. I have quite a few of his albums but was unfamiliar with these two.
Silver Apples
Leon Russel
Miles Davis - Get Up With It
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:36:12 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 10:21:37 AM »

Haven't really listened to many newly released albums in 2012 but here goes (in some sort of order):

That's Why God Made the Radio - The Beach Boys
Psychedelic Pill - Neil Young
Out Of My Hands - Morten Harket
Banga - Patti Smith
Battle Born - The Killers

Actually that's all of them. Haven't got round to buying Americana (NY&CH) or Tempest (Dylan) yet.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 12:18:54 PM »

Al Jardine-Postcard From California

+1

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »

Al Jardine-Postcard From California

+1

Actually I'd +1 that too if we're counting it as 2012. Great CD.
MookieZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 05:22:57 PM »

Alright, I'll go:

The Sound of the Life of the Mind -- Ben Folds Five
Clear Heart Full Eyes -- Craig Finn
Sunken Condos -- Donald Fagen

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:17 AM »

New albums:

Dr John - Locked Down

crap, totally forgot Dr John! I loved that.

Re: Nostalgia Ultra, it just didn't grab me in the same way. The Electric Feel and Coldplay samples kinda got my hackles up a bit, and there's nothing so obnoxious (or casual, if you're being kind - it's just a mixtape, after all) on CO.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »

Tempest. Without a doubt one of my favorite Dylan albums, which is saying a lot. "Duquesne Whistle" is possibly his catchiest rockabilly jaunt since "Rainy Day Women," and "Roll On John" is the most deeply affecting tune he's done since Blood on the Tracks. The album is a really inspired work, and an instant classic.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »

Best Coast-The Only Place

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx