gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:07:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Albums Of The Year  (Read 6060 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:23:48 AM »

As many as you please...

(These aren't in any order... yet)

Bob Dylan - Tempest
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.a.a.d City
Frank Ocean - channel Orange
The Weeknd - Trilogy (if a official release of mixtapes from last year counts as an 'album')
TWGMTR*
First Aid Kit -The Lion's Roar
Spiritualized - Sweet Heart/Sweet Light
Lindstrom - Hans

*goddammit, maybe TWgMTR isn't that great. It has some of The Beach Boys' worst tunes on it (SV, Bill & Sue), some rote filler limply performed and in some cases, produced (Shelter, Beaches In Mind, Daybreak, and the title track), is autotuned to hell, and sounds like ass in places. Sure, it has peaks - we all know what they are - but I feel like I just listen to it because, y'know, The Beach Boys. It's 2012, after all.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:21:06 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:43:54 AM »

New MBV album on Kevin Shields' website. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:57:59 AM »

I hate to say it but my listening tastes have gone back to an AM radio mindset, where and when the single ruled the day. Therefore, I don't even have a favorite album this year, most of what I latched onto in 2012 was singles. My listening to full albums has taken a back seat to hearing a great single and enjoying those one dose at a time.

Having said all that, I can list the Jack White solo album as one I did enjoy very much this year. The latest Black Keys also had some cool sounds, although sometimes the sounds and performances they recorded outweighed the quality of the songs themselves.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »

*goddammit, maybe TWgMTR isn't that great. It has some of The Beach Boys' worst tunes on it (SV, Bill & Sue), some rote filler limply performed and in some cases, produced (Shelter, Beaches In Mind, Daybreak, and the title track), is autotuned to hell, and sounds like ass in places. Sure, it has peaks - we all know what they are - but I feel like I just listen to it because, y'know, The Beach Boys. It's 2012, after all.

Sadly I kinda feel this way as well. When it first came out I gave it 5 stars on Amazon and listened to it nonstop. In the last 6 months I've not listened to it once, and I haven't really missed it. The title song and Brian's life suite are the only songs I listen to.

Personally I can't wait for Brian to make his rock and roll album - give him TOTAL control and see what comes of it.
______

I bought Tempest months ago but haven't found the right time to listen to it Undecided maybe I will this evening.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »

Tame Impala - Lonerism.

I didn't buy that much new music this year, so I guess TWGMTR would be my #2. I was really into it this summer, I hardly listen to it now. It's a summer record.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »

Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas Hello

By far the best album.

But I have not listened to it since my guinea pigs died.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:08:17 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »

As many as you please...

(These aren't in any order... yet)

Bob Dylan - Tempest
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.a.a.d City
Frank Ocean - channel Orange
The Weeknd - Trilogy (if a official release of mixtapes from last year counts as an 'album')
TWGMTR*
First Aid Kit -The Lion's Roar
Spiritualized - Sweet Heart/Sweet Light
Lindstrom - Hans

Dude, Channel Orange is amazing!
Do you like Nostalgia, Ultra?
It's amazing too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:56:14 PM by Letsgoawayforawhile » Logged

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »

Sadly I kinda feel this way as well. When it first came out I gave it 5 stars on Amazon and listened to it nonstop. In the last 6 months I've not listened to it once, and I haven't really missed it. The title song and Brian's life suite are the only songs I listen to.

Personally I can't wait for Brian to make his rock and roll album - give him TOTAL control and see what comes of it.
______

I bought Tempest months ago but haven't found the right time to listen to it Undecided maybe I will this evening.

You should, I got it on vinyl just today for my birthday and it's quite a lean album - I thought it was  arrangement shy, but then that's not really the point of Bob. The songs are so strong tho. There's hope for rock dinosaurs yet!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »

Neil Young & Crazy Horse's Psychedelic Pill, Redd Kross's Researching The Blues, Fiona Apple's The Idler Wheel, Van Halen's A Different Kind Of Truth, The Beach Boys' That's Why God Made The Radio, Neil Young and Crazy Horse's Americana, Scott Walker's Bish Bosch, Sabbath Assembly's Ye Are Gods, Bob Dylan's Tempest.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 02:59:34 AM »

sh*t, I forgot one more as I'd been waiting to get a new turntable....

Dan Deacon - America

Like Phillip Glass if he played loft parties. Really tight electronica with great orchestral sections - ie, not tacked on - and it's pretty fucking huge. Been spinning it a fair bit today already, really enjoying it.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »

I've been having a really good time making myself a best-of-'12 playlist, but honestly not a lot of albums struck me as really good.

The best:
Fiona Apple, Idler Wheel

Right up there:
Jack White, Blunderbuss
Leonard Cohen, Old Ideas
The Beach Boys, TWGMTR

Also good:
Bob Dylan, Tempest
Mountain Goats, Transcendental Youth
Brother Ali, Mourning in America...

After that things were more a few songs here, a few there. But in that respect it was a really good year. In addition to some from the above, there were songs I loved by Noisettes, Solange, Andrew Bird, Usher, Paul Westerberg, Rufus Wainwright, Lana Del Rey, Earl Sweatshirt, Spiritualized, and on and on.

Scott Walker's Bish Bosch

Just got this yesterday and haven't listened to it yet. Hadn't even heard of its release until a friend advised I ought to give it a shot. Told me to get ready to be surprised. Haven't listened yet.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 03:17:49 AM »

I've been having a really good time making myself a best-of-'12 playlist, but honestly not a lot of albums struck me as really good.

You got that on Spotify? I'm in my catch-up phase atm, as it is every year. Another good (maybe not great, due to the oddities of Damon Albarn) record is Bobby Womack's one.

You should give the Frank Ocean record a shot, too. It's maybe not deserving of the evangelical hype, but it's a great listen.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 03:29:17 PM »

You got that on Spotify? I'm in my catch-up phase atm, as it is every year. Another good (maybe not great, due to the oddities of Damon Albarn) record is Bobby Womack's one.

You should give the Frank Ocean record a shot, too. It's maybe not deserving of the evangelical hype, but it's a great listen.

I've never shared a playlist on spotify, but looking into it right now.

I did listen to the Ocean record when it came out and wasn't really excited. I guess I ought to give it another shot. Spirit of the season or whatever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 10:00:51 AM »

Tame Impala - Lonerism.

I didn't buy that much new music this year, so I guess TWGMTR would be my #2. I was really into it this summer, I hardly listen to it now. It's a summer record.

Agree to this.
Nominating albums by artists decades past their prime is imo not really a reality based objective and informed decision. The very idea that some 50+ year old bloke made 2012's best album indicates incredible obsolete stance on music and an' old geezer' attitude.
'What is this Tame Impala sh*t. McCartney again made the best album of the year!  Old Man'
'Oh grandpa.... Whatever!'
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:07:46 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 11:09:16 AM »

I know what you mean..... I really do enjoy that Bob Dylan album though Embarrassed

cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 11:58:37 AM »

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking ball

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »

Tame Impala - Lonerism.

Agree to this.
Nominating albums by artists decades past their prime is imo not really a reality based objective and informed decision. The very idea that some 50+ year old bloke made 2012's best album indicates incredible obsolete stance on music and an' old geezer' attitude.
'What is this Tame Impala sh*t. McCartney again made the best album of the year!  Old Man'

Well, ironically, most of the reason I like that record in the first place is because it sounds like what a certain band was doing around 45 years ago....  Roll Eyes

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 07:06:50 AM »

Tame Impala - Lonerism.

Agree to this.

Well, ironically, most of the reason I like that record in the first place is because it sounds like what a certain band was doing around 45 years ago....  Roll Eyes

retro sound is not neccessarily bad. The voices are young and even though it bears similarity to Lennon or the BB's it's pretty far removed. Not only that; their voices are young, unlike the voices of the rock era veterans!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 11:13:50 AM »

Wrong. Great music is great music, regardless of the age of the performer. Assuming music that is recorded by older artists is automatically inferior is far more obnoxious than what you are referring to. THAT is a reality-based, objective and informed statement. In the future, please think before you hit the Post button.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »

First Tame Impala album dicked all over the new one...it's like the world caught up just as they ramped up the Lennon cliches...

It's Frank Ocean all the way for me. No time for TWGMTR. Maybe if they'd laid off the sh*t production.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »

Wrong. Great music is great music, regardless of the age of the performer. Assuming music that is recorded by older artists is automatically inferior is far more obnoxious than what you are referring to. THAT is a reality-based, objective and informed statement. In the future, please think before you hit the Post button.

I have to agree with Ian on this: music is neither better nor worse based on the legacy or current reputation (or age) of the performer. Believe me, I cannot stand some people's tendency to automatically populate their top tens with the remaining legends, but it's just as bad to just retype the current Billboard Top Ten.

Speaking for myself--who else would I speak for, anyway?--and tying in the idea from the previous post, Tame Impala is pretty uninteresting ... but McCartney has done approximately one worthwhile album in the past decade (the Fireman "Electric Arguments" from a few years ago). Some old horses come through sometimes. Some new artists come through sometimes. Most albums from both extremes and everyone in between range from bad to mediocre. It's listening to them that lets you figure it out, not checking their birth certificates or sales totals.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »

Tame Impala - Lonerism.

Lonerism = Top Notch!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 12:24:21 PM »

Bob Dylan - Tempest
Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill

Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young NEil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil YoUng Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil YOung Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young NEil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young Neil Young

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 12:12:40 PM »

First Tame Impala album dicked all over the new one...it's like the world caught up just as they ramped up the Lennon cliches...

It's Frank Ocean all the way for me. No time for TWGMTR. Maybe if they'd laid off the sh*t production.

I know ppl in Perth,WA who are mates of the band and I heard them before they released that (absolutely great) first album. They are very good live as well and seeing them rise from the remote backwater of  the Perth music scence is pretty fun! ^^
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 10:53:16 PM »

Al Jardine-Postcard From California

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx