gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:31:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question for parents...  (Read 6916 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 08:57:59 AM »

I want him to sleep at night! Wink

How about Brian's Gershwin?  Sweet and lovely to fall asleep to.  Maybe a hand chosen list. Disney has great stuff.

One of mine never napped until he got a baby sheep skin  (about 18" by 36") - specially made in either Australia or New Zealand.  They become like Linus' blanket, (Charlie Brown series ) to sleep with. They even make them for car seats so they will be comfy ( and, sleep there, as well.) www.sheepskintown.com/baby-sheepskin-  or www.kiwi-sheepskins.com/sheepskin-baby - hope the links work - or google it.  Even for older ones.

Good luck.  Wink
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 09:25:24 AM »

I've considered putting together a CD of some of Brian's (and the band's) more sublime sounding music...just have not gotten around to it!  The Gershwin LP is a good idea.  I'll give it a spin tonight!

BTW, it was "Child Is Father of the Man" that creeped him out!  We were just hanging out in the living room when I was playing it...I really am glad I wasn't playing it before bedtime!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »

When my sons were babies the songs that I sang them to sleep were either Husabye or Goodnight Irene Smiley

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »

When my daughter was 4 "Take A Load Off Your Feet" was, along with "Yellow Submarine" her favorite song.

Now at 12 she is a certified Beatles fanatic, however, I was driving her and a friend out for ice cream the other night and she started singing "Vegetables" (SMiLE version with the "Mama Says" refrain).  It was one of the damndist things I have ever heard.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 01:11:27 AM »

Gotta bump this...

my daughter seems to be turning into a certified Brian-ista. She asked me today 'why didn't Brian sing every song?' Me: 'Because some songs fit the others' voices better'. Jaymie: 'But daddy, it's Briaaaaaaan'.  Can't argue with that logic.

The other day I let her listen to the 1976 demos for the first time. Looks like 'Sherry She Needs Me' has replaced 'Isn't it Time'  and 'Hawaii' as her new favorite song. She did ask me if Brian had a cold...

I didn't know how to explain that one to her...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 01:22:37 AM »

Yes. All those cigarettes and drugs gave him a really bad cold. So that's why you can't smoke or do drugs, OK?

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 01:32:42 AM »

She's five, though, so I just kind of laughed it off!

The cool thing is that when she sees videos like PS Live or BWPS DVD, or footage from the C50 tour she doesn't think anything's 'wrong' with Brian. He's just a 'really cool old man with awesome hair'.

I wasn't impressed with the C50 DVD with it's sterile sound and overdubbing, at least from what I've seen, but hell I may get it for her.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 01:36:15 AM »

Sounds like she's to Brian Wilson like I was to Paul Simon/S&G -- and still am.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 03:02:37 AM »

Gotta bump this...

my daughter seems to be turning into a certified Brian-ista. She asked me today 'why didn't Brian sing every song?' Me: 'Because some songs fit the others' voices better'. Jaymie: 'But daddy, it's Briaaaaaaan'.  Can't argue with that logic.

The other day I let her listen to the 1976 demos for the first time. Looks like 'Sherry She Needs Me' has replaced 'Isn't it Time'  and 'Hawaii' as her new favorite song. She did ask me if Brian had a cold...

I didn't know how to explain that one to her...

hehe  cute!   She likes Hawaii?  I like her style Smiley
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 05:41:04 AM »

your daughter is awesome Billy!

my kids grew up listening to a lot of Beach Boys. like... A LOT. they're 16 & 18 now
imagine my horror when i recently discovered the only Beach Boys song in my daughter's itunes was f*cking Kokomo  Angry

i gave her my copy of Pet Sounds on the spot.
there is no worse feeling than the thought that you failed your children in some very profound way.

my son accompanied me to the C50 show in Atlanta and really seemed to enjoy it. we even had our arms around each other during God Only Knows. pretty sweet. he's a jazz saxophonist and has an ear for good music. i do believe his favorite song of the night was That's Why God...!

he got a real kick (and maybe a few pointers) out of that old Von Mertens showmanship
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:46:46 AM by bossaroo » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 05:44:22 AM »

just posted on fb... Brian and his son Dylan  Smiley

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 06:50:49 AM »

I have a 7 year old son with Asperger syndrome (an autism spectrum disorder).  He loves to listen to the Pet Sounds and Smile sessions to analyze the progression of the tracks.  He even know who's playing which instruments and will comment on takes-- as if speaking directly to Carol Kaye or Hal Blaine or whoever-- like he's a little Brian Wilson.  He loves anything Brian Wilson or Beach Boys, save for "Summer's Gone," which he says makes him sad: "It reminds me that they're old and makes me think they'll never record again."

The rest of my kids (ages ranging from 3 - 11) love the Boys too.  They recently sent me a recording at work of them all singing "Isn't It Time."  The younger two often mimic the Surfin' demo, complete with the dialog about laughing and popping each other in the mouth.  Aside from TWGMTR, they don't care for most of the post Wild Honey material.  

They also think it's cool that Uncle Jesse "is a Beach Boy."  Sorry, not going to shatter their dreams there.  And my 9 year old really digs Al's Postcard From CA.

I didn't mince words on why Brian's voice changed.  I told them all about the drugs, about how they were Dennis' demise, but that they all got clean again.  I feel like it's a very relatable lesson for them on the dangers of drugs.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:55:28 AM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx