gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 06:03:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good/Poor/potentially confusing Beach Boys album titles  (Read 5605 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 10:15:51 PM »

"M.I.U." I always think of "Missing in Action"... except there's a f***ing U there.  It makes no sense, what the hell does it mean? 

M.I.U. means Maharishi International University.

A discipline daddy.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »

Aw hell.  Now I feel like I'm supposed to care, lol.  I don't.  Sorry.  I'm sure the Maharashi was a great guy and I give him nothing but respect but I'm just not in the mood.  It's a stupid, stupid album title. 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 10:32:16 PM »

Aw hell.  Now I feel like I'm supposed to care, lol.  I don't.  Sorry.  I'm sure the Maharashi was a great guy and I give him nothing but respect but I'm just not in the mood.  It's a stupid, stupid album title. 

The album was recorded at the Maharishi International University Studios in Iowa - the majority of it, anyway.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 10:42:34 PM »

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 10:46:16 PM »

I'm understanding now.  I'm still not caring though, lol.  HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, AWFUL BABY KILLING ALBUM TITLE!!!!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 11:44:16 PM »

Pet Sounds--Good title, silly cover....IMO, of course.  Yes folks, it's a pun....I get it.  I'm sorry, but I think the greatest and most adventurous album in the world (released, that is) should have had something a little more artsy on the cover.  Something like the FRIENDS cover would have been perfect.

I see this argument a lot and I understand it but I'm just curious -- what do you think is the most artsy rock and roll album cover before May 1966?

I agree that Rubber Soul is pretty hip and even more so for back then.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 08:04:23 AM »

Let me add my own thoughts to wonderful discussion topic:

Shut Down Vol. 2 - so-so title, nothing special, esp. I don't like the "volume" bit.
Today! - considering the quality of material & universally agreed (stole this phrase from monicker in MIC thread) artistic growth of Brian, it totally matches. Though I myself prefer the A-side.
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) - the way it's written, i.e. the use of 2 (instead of 1) exclamation marks, round brackets (instead of without at all), is quite unusual. Though have to say the title itself is typical, since musically it's indeed a summery record. But I like it anyway. In fact, it's one of my favorite BBs album titles.
BBs' Party! - simplistic, in a good way. The concept of creating the fake atmosphere of singalong is very inventive, I reckon. At least, I don't know any other artist coming up with such idea before Brian.
Smiley Smile - I always thought it's better than just "Smile". Notably hip & ahead of its time because smileys are only recent innovation of the so-called "Digital era of computers". Combination of various signs & sometimes letters for showing our current mood is totally an Inet trend which obviously didn't exist in the 60s. So therefore, it's one cool title out there. Btw, I'm more fond of the Smile's cover art than SS.
20/20 - I have no notion what this means, but whatever it does it still sounds good, kind of catchy & rhymes well (twenty-twenty, see?). Not mentioning we deal with the numbers now, not the words. I liked algebra at school.
Sunflower - everything with "sun" in it is great in my book. The cover is cute as well, dig the cowboy style on Al.
Carl & The Passions-"So Tough" - a bit of hidden in-joke. Very fits to the contents of the album since it represents the Carl-led time frame of The Beach Boys. Why So Tough? Because of Blondie & Ricky.
Holland - while the title is nothing of interest ("Let's call the album after the place where music was composed!"), I love how it sounds, one of the most beautiful country names.
15 Big Ones - certainly, not all 15 songs are "big", but funnily I don't find anything silly about the title. There's sth. humorous & ironic in the way they (maybe Brian) added the middle descriptive word. That said, I jolly enjoy this record, almost to the level that I actually buy into the "bigness" thing. 
(The BBs) Love You - tbh, not my stuff, a tad sentimental. On the other hand, it suits to the mostly domestic & cosy feel of the record. Also, it's a market trick, to express how the band loves their fans & cares about them. But at the end - Idk, maybe I'm off base here.
M.I.U. - even knowing what it stands for, it is a very intriguing title. The fact that acronyms are usually written with no dots additionally helps to make it more interesting.
L.A. (Light Album) - whenever I hear it in my mind, I often think there is some double meaning: the group reminds us they're originally from CA (L.A. is a californian city) & reveals beforehand what people should expect from the music they'd play. And indeed it's light & soothing, except Here Comes the Night. So anyway, the title is very tasteful & stylish. Sort of bohemian/glamorous.
The Beach Boys - finally, the band named their album after themselves, since it seems to be a tradition if the artist gives their work once the same name. Glad they took such decision namely with this 80s BBs effort.
Stars & Stripes Vol. 1 - actually, not bad & don't forget The BBs are an American band (if I recall, the guest singers are all Americans too), thus the mention of national US flag. Besides, I like the design of the cover.

Now, I know that TWGMTR has the song of the same title, but I just want to state that despite its length & being out-dated, I genuinely like it. As for the rest, the music is great, the cover - nice imaginary colorful picture.
I remember hypehat named one of his recordings the same way, only instead of "made" - "invented". Surely, it was an original song because "invented" has 3 syllables & "made" equals to 1 syllable.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx