gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:53:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys scored a Grammy nomination.  (Read 23132 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »

Maybe the new album wasn't released in time to get a nomination,I mean how could they not get nominated for best vocal.

Awesome smile got something though.*fingers crossed*

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »

Two words I never expected to see together on a Beach Boys message board:
everybody agreed

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »

I swear to god if that fu*king FUN. Album wins anything I MEAN ANYTHING I will kill every teenage girl and "yolo" user on the planet.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »

If they did speeches for historical categories during the broadcast show, I want Mike to troll the music industry again. That owned.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »

I swear to god if that fu*king FUN. Album wins anything I MEAN ANYTHING I will kill every teenage girl and "yolo" user on the planet.

a little overdramatic Roll Eyes. I actually like Fun.

If they did speeches for historical categories during the broadcast show, I want Mike to troll the music industry again. That owned.

"I wanna thank Mike Love for not mentioning me." - Bob Dylan

Absolutely epic.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »

Um, there are plenty of people in LA who like the album Ram.

But there isn't the same halo around "Sir Paul" here as in England.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 01:46:16 PM »

Um, there are plenty of people in LA who like the album Ram.

But there isn't the same halo around "Sir Paul" here as in England.

Actually, in my experience Americans are (overall) far, *far* more in awe of McCartney, and of the Beatles generally, than British people are.

Either way, though, I don't see any way Ram will beat The Smile Sessions. Ram is one of my all-time top-five favourite albums ever, but the reissue is just a reissue of an extraordinarily good album with a few lacklustre bonus tracks added. the Smile Sessions is a real achievement. I've not listened to the Guthrie set, so I don't know how that compares to The Smile Sessions, but that's the only real competition.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 01:48:27 PM »

Are you gonna set the world on fire?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 01:54:43 PM »

Are you gonna set the world on fire?
Sounds like it.... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 02:01:03 PM »

Well, I dare say there wasn't quality stuff on The Beatles' SPLHCB but it won 4 nominations, including "The Record of The Year". And to me, the album didn't even deserve to be nominated. What will you say to this?

I think the huge historical weight of critical and popular opinion of SPLHCB proves you wrong, on this point, RR.

SPLHCB deserved the plaudits it received.

Doesn't mean TSS is unworthy tho'!  It is MOST worthy.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »

Ram is one of my all-time top-five favourite albums ever, but the reissue is just a reissue of an extraordinarily good album with a few lacklustre bonus tracks added.

With respect, sir, I don't think you can reasonably call "Rode All Night" lacklustre.  It's got more nervous energy than anything else in Macca's entire catalogue!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »

We can all agree RAM is not as good as SMILE.

Which means if the Beach Boys lose this category it simply proves what we all ready know, for some strange reason The Grammy committee are in Paul McCartney's pocket

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »

Macca will win, simply because he's Macca, an ex-Beatle and therefore to be deified at every possible opportunity.

And that f***ing sucks.

Macca has been nominated for several of his albums in recent years, and has only won once.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »

Yeah, folks are assuming McCartney is much more popular than he actually is.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »

He's pretty popular with the Grammy people.

The man closed out the Grammy's last year for no reason..... and he has his little solo spot with the song from his album last year.

The man won't go away.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »

Are we talking about kisses on the buttox?

I kinda like paper moon.  sounds like they exhumed some old french hot band for the musical backup............pretty good stuff....at least the music.  Singer sounds sweet but a  little tired.

or is macca being recognized for something else?    I don't understand these award/nomination things.......

is it just me or do you think macca should go salt and pepper with the hair color rather than straight brown?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »

The man closed out the Grammy's last year for no reason.....

I think being Paul McCartney is a good enough reason.

He's probably one of the most famous people in the world, he was part of arguably the biggest rock band in history, and he's more than happy to keep himself in the spotlight.  I thought the way he closed out the Grammys last year was pretty awesome (if I'm not mistaken, he also had Bruce Springsteen, Joe Walsh, and Dave Grohl up with him which was pretty cool) and I can never get enough of Paul McCartney.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 09:57:26 PM »

He's pretty popular with the Grammy people.

Not with the voters. He is popular with people who put on a TV variety show that masquerades as an awards broadcast.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 05:49:23 AM »

is it just me or do you think macca should go salt and pepper with the hair color rather than straight brown?

That is so 1985.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 05:51:40 AM »

Macca should just grow old grey-cefully, like the rest of us. Who does he think he is, Cliff Richard?

“We live in divisive times.”
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 06:50:09 AM »

I actually like fun too.  Listen to some of their music, they clearly have a songwriter who likes being adventurous and writing good hooks. I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a great album someday.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 07:22:13 AM »

You could do worse than fun. guys! Some Nights was a little underwhelming considering the heights Nate has scaled before (Dog Problems, anyone?), but I still think fun.'s debut is a great album. "Light a Roman Candle with Me" is probably my favourite off Aim and Ignite, it sounds very Friends era Beach Boys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKoBTEcq8Ck
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 02:39:59 AM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 08:42:36 AM »

No one has even tried to convince me that the other nominees in the "Boxed-Deluxe Set" category or whatever the official title may be are better qualified or more deserving than The Smile Sessions...again, removing all bias favoring the material and looking at the packaging and assembly of the release itself, never mind the artist.

Ben Kweller, Sir Paul, The Stones, Woody Guthrie, Trent Reznor...no way. More to the point, no fucking way were any of them more deserving than the Smile set. On a bad day I'd call it a rip-off of the folks who assembled that set to not be nominated in that category, never mind the win itself.

McCartney is nominated because he's a big audience/ratings draw no matter where he shows up (SNL this month, Letterman, Grammys telecasts, etc), after all audience share and ratings is what it's all about anyway, and the statement posted about awards shows being variety shows is and has been absolutely true for a long time, and is spot on. Many women watch these shows to see what fashions the stars are wearing (Joan fucking Rivers made a career out of making catty remarks about the Red Carpet fashions and all that stuff), others watch for the comedy of the host(s), others watch for the entertainment and staged performances...I doubt many viewers even right now as we speak can name more than one major Grammy award winner from last year's telecast. Yet with the Grammys, folks here remember the Beach Boys' mini-set, and others remember the trainwreck that was Nicki Minaj...or Macca's love ballad with Joe Walsh. Who won the awards?

Doesn't matter...as long as people watched and saw the commercials.

And as long as we're talking about Macca's pervasive presence around these things, don't we also see the same thing happening with The Stones, in some smaller degree? I must have been sleeping when their "Some Girls" album suddenly became as revered and as loved as it seems to have been based on this Grammy nod. Exile On Main Street, hell yeah, that box set was warranted...but Some Girls? Maybe I really was asleep when that album became worthy of a box set, and of a Grammy nod.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »

I actually like fun too.  Listen to some of their music, they clearly have a songwriter who likes being adventurous and writing good hooks. I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a great album someday.
The dude has already, it's called Dog Problems by The Format though~
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »

Craig, Some Girls has been revered since it came out, honestly. I think it is a bit overrated myself, but it does have a lot of great songs on it. The box set is underwhelming. The Ram set is deserving of a nomination.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx