gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:26:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys scored a Grammy nomination.  (Read 23133 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:48:57 PM »

Best Historical Album - The Smile Sessions

This could be the first competitive Grammy the boys ever win as a group and in such an obscure category, they should have a pretty good chance.

Too bad none of their newer stuff was recognized though.

EDIT: Actually the nomination is technically for Brian Wilson, Mark Linett, Alan Boyd, and Dennis Wolfe but congratulations to them all the same.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:56:49 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:29:50 AM »

Macca will win, simply because he's Macca, an ex-Beatle and therefore to be deified at every possible opportunity.

And that fucking sucks.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 02:14:05 AM »

S'hope not. Even Macca would likely vote for TSS - he'd be a Grammy then by default for his veggie-chomping turn on Vega-tables, right? :D

“We live in divisive times.”
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 04:14:25 AM »

Macca will win, simply because he's Macca, an ex-Beatle and therefore to be deified at every possible opportunity.

And that f***ing sucks.

I really hope that you're wrong Shocked

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 04:56:27 AM »

And that f***ing sucks.

I think Brian would love to get a grammy for the smile sessions, maybe make him feel a little better about them.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:06:29 AM »

I could see the Woody Guthrie collection winning, actually. 

Hope not.

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 05:22:55 AM »

And that f***ing sucks.

I think Brian would love to get a grammy for the smile sessions, maybe make him feel a little better about them.

Agreed. All those guys deserve a win for that set.
______

Are The Beach Boys or Van Dyke Parks included in this nomination? Or is it just the aforementioned names?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 07:38:39 AM »

And that f***ing sucks.

Yep, it's always the same. Not unlike Ray Charles getting the Grammy over BWPS simply because he just died shortly before. Well, let's hope anyway...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:52:40 AM »

Should have gotten a nom for packaging. I don't think there's every been a more handsome box set.

Who closed the Grammy show last year? Oh yeah.

Paul will win.

No love for "TWGMTR", eh? You mean to tell me "Isn't It Time" isn't "song of the year"?

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 08:25:41 AM »

You mean to tell me "Isn't It Time" isn't "song of the year"?

I reckon From There To Back Again is a more right choice for "The Song of The Year" nom. It's like the only song that everybody agreed on to be the best track on TWGMTR record. Even there are some people who aren't fond of Summer's Gone & Pacific Coast Highway.

FTTBA is my second least favorite song on the album after Beaches In Mind. PCH is pretty low though too. But Summer's Gone is my second favorite after Isn't It Time.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:34 AM »

I reckon From There To Back Again is a more right choice for "The Song of The Year" nom. It's like the only song that everybody agreed on to be the best track on TWGMTR record.

I'm not agreeing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 08:28:58 AM »

If you think The Beach Boys deserved a "song of the year" nomination, you're in a dreamland. Or I want whatever you're smoking.

Not saying there isn't quality stuff on the new album, but c'mon...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 08:34:25 AM »

If you think The Beach Boys deserved a "song of the year" nomination, you're in a dreamland. Or I want whatever you're smoking.

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 08:58:05 AM »

I could see the Woody Guthrie collection winning, actually. 

Hope not.

I agree, the Guthrie set is the real competition, not Ram - luckily the voters aren't British (sorry Andrew) and most of them are L.A. Based, that gives an edge to the Smile Sessions.

It's incomprehensible to me that the box didn't get a nomination for packaging - Tom Recchion deserves a Grammy fornthe job he did, the box, the book - what were they thinking?  Did the nominating committee see the version with the light in the Smile shop?  
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 09:07:04 AM »

Um, there are plenty of people in LA who like the album Ram.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 09:12:03 AM »

If you think The Beach Boys deserved a "song of the year" nomination, you're in a dreamland.

Well, I dare say there wasn't quality stuff on The Beatles' SPLHCB but it won 4 nominations, including "The Record of The Year". And to me, the album didn't even deserve to be nominated. What will you say to this? Plus, there are so many artists now who make utterly horrendous records & oddly enough get Grammy & not single. So why not The BBs? Reality - not dreamland, mind you - shows that The BBs deserve "The Song of The Year" nomination, because, you know, after so many accolades given to them, after being inducted to The R&RHOF in 1988 & recording the new album after many years, what do you think would logically be the next award they get? Grammy, obviously. Sorry for being rough, but I had to respond like this because it's unfair towards such a great band as The Beach Boys.

Um, so because other bands with horrendous albums get Album of the Year the Beach Boys should too?

I'm not saying that TWGMTR was a bad record, but it's certainly not Album of the Year. Personally I'd rather The Beach Boys be remembered for SMiLE and Pet Sounds, not TWGMTR.

Edit: There are great songs on TWGMTR, but nothing artistically revolutionary. They really don't deserve Song of the Year or Album of the Year, imo.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:16:26 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 09:18:53 AM »

If you think The Beach Boys deserved a "song of the year" nomination, you're in a dreamland.

Well, I dare say there wasn't quality stuff on The Beatles' SPLHCB but it won 4 nominations, including "The Record of The Year".

Well, Pepper was made by a contemporay group, not a bunch of 70 year olds. How'd you feel if Pepper lost in '67 to an album by Gene Austin?

Not that I feel age should be reason for disqualification. If Chuck Berry suddenly recorded the greatest album in history next year I don't think he should automatically get trumped just because Black Eyed Peas topped the charts.

btw, my original statement regarding "song of the year" was made in jest. Not because I don't love it, just because I know it's silly.

Everybody knows Joey Ramones' "Rock N Roll Is The Answer" is song of the year.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:23:43 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 09:32:39 AM »

I am still waiting for MBV's loveless to get album of the year so Kevin Shields can reveal to the world the follow up album. Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 09:34:26 AM »

Well, I dare say there wasn't quality stuff on The Beatles' SPLHCB but it won 4 nominations, including "The Record of The Year". And to me, the album didn't even deserve to be nominated. What will you say to this?

I say that is a highly opionated response and that Sgt Pepper is one of the most highly regarded albums of all time. Groundbreaking, revolutionary (for 1967), mindblowing stuff. Great songs on that album. Not my favorite, but you've at least got to see that it has quality material on it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's sh*t....

People took their first trips to that album (and probably still are!).

But...yeah. The Beach Boys new album is super great, a blessing for fans, and has a few of the best tracks they've ever recorded. Still, it wouldn't make sense for them to have a song of the year nomination.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:35:42 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »

Well, I dare say there wasn't quality stuff on The Beatles' SPLHCB but it won 4 nominations, including "The Record of The Year". And to me, the album didn't even deserve to be nominated. What will you say to this?

I would say that you're now no longer in a position to speak on this issue with any degree of credibility.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »

Well, I dare say there wasn't quality stuff on The Beatles' SPLHCB but it won 4 nominations, including "The Record of The Year". And to me, the album didn't even deserve to be nominated. What will you say to this? Plus, there are so many artists now who make utterly horrendous records & oddly enough get Grammy & not single. So why not The BBs? Reality - not dreamland, mind you - shows that The BBs deserve "The Song of The Year" nomination, because, you know, after so many accolades given to them, after being inducted to The R&RHOF in 1988 & recording the new album after many years, what do you think would logically be the next award they get? Grammy, obviously. Sorry for being rough, but I had to respond like this because it's unfair towards such a great band as The Beach Boys.

Um, so because other bands with horrendous albums get Album of the Year the Beach Boys should too?

I'm not saying that TWGMTR was a bad record, but it's certainly not Album of the Year. Personally I'd rather The Beach Boys be remembered for SMiLE and Pet Sounds, not TWGMTR.

Edit: There are great songs on TWGMTR, but nothing artistically revolutionary. They really don't deserve Song of the Year or Album of the Year, imo.

Even so, I'd rather see the Boys get it than Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, or any of the other manufactured crap that they try pushing down the public's throat every year.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »

And that f***ing sucks.

Andrew eventually though it comes down to the point where you have to decide if you even want an award that's ... awarded... so haphazardly.  Really, what company will they be in?  Do we really need the approval of the people that vote for the grammys? 

They ought to no-show. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »

Go to this link and see the full listing of all nominees:

http://www.grammy.com/nominees

Scroll three-quarters down the page, and you'll get to the "historical" listings.

It actually made me mad to see The Smile Sessions nominated for *only one* award. I'm biased toward the subject matter, I'll wear that proudly on my sleeve. But stepping back from that bias, the deluxe box was a pretty amazing package. It could have been nominated in several more categories, as you'll see.

I mean, seriously, it's at least as deserving as the "Some Girls" deluxe box set, a release which didn't do much at all mostly because the original album itself is a few singles strong as hell but overall a fairly standard Stones release...which is still good, but you get the point... Cheesy

And again, in the "REALLY?" department, you'll see under "Best Boxed Package..." a selection of boxed sets including Ben Kweller (WTF?), McCartney and Ram, the aformentioned Some Girls box, Trent Reznor for Girl W. The Dragon Tattoo soundtrack, and the old stalwart Woody Guthrie on the umpteenth reissue or compilation or remastering or discovery of his recordings (ducks for cover...but f*** all, it's true, it's been done...)

Someone convince me that The Smile Sessions deluxe edition didn't qualify for that list...any reasons why it was left off, other than the "Grammy board" going for the hip (Reznor), the new (Kweller), the revered (Sir Paul), the Baby Boomers who can afford to buy expensive vintage guitars and box sets because they had a good year in sales (The Stones), and the automatic vote (Guthrie)?

Seriously...

Oh, and also I browsed the categories where some would suggest the new Beach Boys album would have been qualified...at first looking for reasons why they shouldn't be...and in light of the competition judged by those nominees, nothing really strong stands out in any of those categories. I can almost say who will win, although none is head-and-shoulders above the rest, and nothing was truly special in any of the categories. So on my standards - and yes, I have heard and in most cases played those songs this past year - the BB's *could* have been there.

But I'm glad they were not. Because it would/could have turned against them if they won over some younger critical darling or some faddish song that media types love to name-check and praise. The "Jethro Tull" syndrome would have kicked in. I don't think Tull deserved the kind of drubbing they got in the aftermath of winning that hard rock award. I just have a feeling The Beach Boys would have been on that same hook.

And they don't deserve that.  Smiley Well, maybe some of them.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »

If I were a successful musician, I would hate to be nominated for or win a Grammy since it so often seems to be the mark of mediocrity. Every so often something wins that I like but a broken clock is right twice a day as well. Who cares if the Beach Boys win or don't win a Grammy?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »

Rather than watch the Grammy telecast, I plan to don my smoking jacket, matching slippers, fill my pipe with my own personal blend of exotic flavors from my tobacconist in Harvard Square, light it with my 1930's vintage Zippo, sip my Cognac, and enjoy a back-to-back listening session of those P.D.Q. Bach albums which won consecutive Grammys in the 90's. And short of outright belly laughs, I can anticipate a series of hearty guffaws and enthusiastic chuckles as I enjoy the comedy of Peter Schickele.

After that, I might consider illegally downloading the nominees from the "Spoken Word" category from a rogue file-share site, loading them up on an old iPod with half-broken earbuds attached, pressing "play", and throwing it onto a major highway during morning rush hour...watching from the bridge above while chugging from the bottle of Cognac I didn't finish during the PDQ Bach listening sesh.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx