gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:31:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Critically-Acclaimed Albums that are Unlistenable  (Read 5912 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 11:24:51 AM »

Anything by Adele. Seems like everybody loves her, from serious critics and well-respected musicians to their moms, but I absolutely HATE her voice and way of singing, and dislike most her song material.

Her first album is better than her second, in which she went REALLY overboard with her singing. I too hate the female oversinging trend.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:27:52 AM by Gabo » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 03:18:18 PM »

Well, I'm just going to come out and say that I love Trout Mask Replica and that I also enjoy listening to it.

But, apparently a lot of people find quite a bit of my favorite music unlistenable.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 04:17:45 PM »

I listened to Merriweather Post Pavilion recently, and I have to admit, I despised it. I especially hated the excessive use of reverb on that album; I think it was supposed to help give it a wider soundscape, but it just made it feel all the more squished and nasty.

I also can't really get into Dylan, despite how much I want to. I like some of his stuff though.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »

Trout Mask Replica- I like what the captain is doing breaking all the music composition rules, its just hard on ears to listen to the whole album.

I think it's brilliant what he did and I'm fascinated by the story behind the album...but, for me, to actually listen to it is impossible...a tremendously unenjoyable experience.

For those who haven't heard it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5I-Xq54FT4
I fucking LOVE Trout Mask, and I've never found it to be a hard listen. Maybe it's because I listened to it all the time when I was just a lad. It definitely warped me and changed how I thought about music and it's function.

A discipline daddy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 04:46:53 PM »

Trout Mask Replica- I like what the captain is doing breaking all the music composition rules, its just hard on ears to listen to the whole album.

I think it's brilliant what he did and I'm fascinated by the story behind the album...but, for me, to actually listen to it is impossible...a tremendously unenjoyable experience.

I fucking LOVE Trout Mask, and I've never found it to be a hard listen. Maybe it's because I listened to it all the time when I was just a lad. It definitely warped me and changed how I thought about music and it's function.

Every time I've tried listening to it I get really uncomfortable. Maybe I'll give it another go one of these days.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 09:34:25 AM »

I much like most of Scott Walker's work, apart from his very early and generally hideous 45s from his pre-Walker Brothers days. The last album of his I played a lot was Tilt; after he got started on "sound art" or whatever it is with The Drift and Bish Bosch, I kinda dropped out though there are a couple of tracks on both albums I like.

The first Scott album is a masterpiece in my opinion. Nothing beats Montague Terrace (In Blue). I think The Drift and Bish Bosch are great albums, but they're not something I put on regularly.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 01:32:43 PM »

Very interesting to say the least.  LOL
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 01:18:07 AM »

Anything with Thom Yorke wailing away self-pityingly throughout it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 05:22:42 AM »

Regarding Trout Mask, I'm with those who don't find it especially difficult to listen to. It would be difficult to play, don't get me wrong. But I think it feels natural as long as you aren't trying to count the meter in one instrument, noticing it's different from another, etc. Unusual, sure. Difficult, no.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »

Captain Beefheart was essentially an avant garde blues singer IMO. The guitars are Delta Blues and the singing recalls Howlin' Wolf, maybe Charlie Patton. Liked Ice Cream for Crow.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:53:19 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »

I tried to like beef heart, really wanted to as it seemed to be a very cool thing in its day.   but it seemed to lack something I needed to appreciate a piece of music.  As I recall, it seemed like boring noise posing as cool.  Loved the album cover of the trout album, though.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »

I listened to Merriweather Post Pavilion recently, and I have to admit, I despised it. I especially hated the excessive use of reverb on that album; I think it was supposed to help give it a wider soundscape, but it just made it feel all the more squished and nasty.

I've disliked every person I've met in real life before they told me they liked the band. That's not to say I dislike anyone who likes the band, but y'know what I mean.

I try to shy from being negative these days (TRY), but man, I'm pretty sure people who compare Animal Collective/Panda Bear to The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson have a second anus in their ear canal instead of a functioning ear drum. It do.

(Someone gonna get mad over this. Sorry. I just sincerely barely hear a resemblance beyond both artists making sound.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:38:01 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »

"Unlistenable" is a strong word -- it's more about taste from my standpoint.  I just don't care to listen to anything by Joni Mitchell or Leonard Cohen who have been held in very high critical  esteem (and popularity) at various points of their careers.  A little Bob Dylan or Neil Young go a long way for me.  "Astral Weeks" never made me want to play it again.  And right now I'm listening (not "unlistening") to the heralded "Paul's Boutique" by the Beastie Boys for the 3rd or 4th time in my life.  I hear the creativity and craft, but just not my thing.  Unless I start smoking weed maybe.

Cool Guy

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 01:34:48 AM »

I remember reading a letter to the editor of Melody Maker in 1970 from someone who said that the first person able to give him a very good reason for not sending his brand-new copy of Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica spinning into outer space could have it. Evidently some dude who bought it expecting to hear a John Mayall clone or some MOR psychedelia. 

My opinion then and now is that one of the best things one could do with TMR----one of the most extraordinary collections of songs and instrumentals ever committed to wax----would be just that: to send it spinning into outer space, as any extra-terrestrial thinking that Planet Earth is a pushover would on hearing it turn tail and head back to its own galaxy.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 02:11:58 AM »

... I'm pretty sure people who compare Animal Collective/Panda Bear to The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson have a second anus in their ear canal instead of a functioning ear drum.

LOL  I hope they have extra-absorbent cotton buds at hand

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 08:34:26 AM »

Eminem.  Green Day.  Morrissey.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile