gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:43:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #8: Today!  (Read 33440 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »

If The Beach Boys had only ever released one song, "Please Let Me Wonder", they would still be deserving of the acclaim they receive. That song is monstrous.

100% agree - That song is everything to me. I sometimes kick out my Today! LP and just play that song on loop!

It's so good, that I just want to open it up and live in it.

Well, I did always hear 'I build all my goals around you' as 'walls around you' - maybe Brian was trying to make a PLMW house Grin

I'd totally live there!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 02:39:05 PM »

And, a big thanks to everyone here for keeping these going, and interesting!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »

1. In The Back of My Mind

This is probably the only other song Brian has written that would fit right in with Pet Sounds. Everything is just so perfect; the orchestration, Dennis' vocal (listening to the single-tracked version blew my mind) and the way it climaxes before transitioning into Bull Session. A classic.
2. When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)

I love how this song is both enthusiastic about growing up, but still anxious and thoughtful, it really reminds me of what I think of when thinking about the future. The backing vocals counting up are also one of my favorite parts of the album.
3. Please Let Me Wonder
4. She Knows Me Too Well
5. Kiss Me, Baby
6. I'm So Young

Not much to say about these, but damn, Mike really could write good lyrics for ballads. (And I really like the ISY cover. Not sure why it gets so much hate/indifference.)
7. Good To My Baby
8. Don't Hurt My Little Sister
9. Help Me, Ronda
10. Do You Wanna Dance?
11. Dance, Dance, Dance
12. Bull Sessions with Big Daddy

Probably one of the most awkwardly sequenced tracks ever, I can't help but love how goofy they all are acting here. "You stepped on my French Fries!"

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »

1) Kiss Me, Baby
2) In the Back of My Mind
3) Please Let Me Wonder
4) When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
5) She Knows Me Too Well
6) I'm So Young
7) Good to My Baby
8) Do You Wanna Dance
9) Help Me, Ronda
10) Dance, Dance, Dance
11) Don't Hurt My Little Sister
12) Bull Session with the "Big Daddy"

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »

1. Kiss Me Baby
2. In The Back of My Mind
3. Do You Wanna Dance
4. Please Let Me Wonder
5. She Knows Me Too Well
6. Good To My Baby
7. I'm So Young
8. Dance, Dance, Dance
9. When I Grow Up
10. Help Me, Ronda
11. Don't Hurt My Litter Sister
12. Bull Session with the "Big Daddy"
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 04:26:30 PM »

1. Kiss Me Baby
2. Please Let Me Wonder
3. She Knows Me Too Well
4. In the Back of My Mind
5. I'm So Young
6. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
7. Do You Wanna Dance
8. Dance, Dance, Dance
9. Good to My Baby
10. Don't Hurt My Little Sister

11. Help Me, Ronda
12. Bull Sessions with "Big Daddy"

What a fantastic record and a massive leap forward.  Since I don't really consider Bull Sessions to be anything other than an innocuous outro, I'd say only the original Help Me, Ronda doesn't quite work.  Everything else pretty much cooks and the standouts are among the best songs they ever did.  That run of ballads on side two is ridiculous!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:29:39 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 05:32:55 PM »

1. Please Let Me Wonder
2. In the Back of My Mind
3. Kiss Me Baby
4. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
5. She Knows Me Too Well
6. Dance Dance Dance
7. Good To My Baby

top 7. rest just blur together for me.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »

1. She Knows Me Too Well
2. Please Let Me Wonder
3. Kiss Me, Baby
4. In The Back of My Mind
5. I'm So Young
6. Do You Wanna Dance?
7. Good To My Baby
9. When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
10. Dance, Dance, Dance
11. Help Me, Ronda
12. Bull Sessions with Big Daddy

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 06:52:33 AM »

1. She Knows Me Too Well - When I think of Today!, I think of this track. Brian's soaring falsetto really stands out here, and the lyrics are sublime.
2. Please Let Me Wonder - I loved this track when they did it on the 50 anniversary tour this year. Brian can still sing this ballad with sweetness in his voice, just like in 1965.
3. In the Back of My Mind - Dennis' vocal is almost haunting on this one. I like the lyrics, even if the narrator seems paranoid. The stereo mix of this released this year is my favorite version.
4. When I Grow Up to be a Man - The sense of wonder in the lyrics, the uncertainty about the future, and the rocking pace of this track make it one of my favorites and a stand out.
5. Do You Wanna Dance - Dennis rocking out.
6. Kiss Me Baby - I'm not as crazy about this track as many others on this board are, but it's very nice and well produced.
7. I'm So Young - I like the Beach Boys' version better than the Ronettes version.
8. Dance Dance Dance - Another great rocker, but not really as deep as the rest of the songs on this album, sans Do You Wanna Dance.
9. Help Me Ronda - I like the Summer Days version better, but this arrangement has it's charms. I'm not annoyed by the false fade outs at the end.
10. Good To My Baby - A little too Doo Woppish for my liking, but still a solid track.
11. Don't Hurt My Little Sister - This one is fine enough, but it doesn't really do much for me compared to the other songs on this album.
12. Bull Sessions With Big Daddy - I don't consider this track to be amusing. It's kind of just there. I'll listen to it every once in a while, but most of the time I just turn the album off when I get to this point.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 03:53:07 PM »

1. She Knows Me Too Well
2. Please Let Me Wonder
3. When I Grow Up
4. Kiss Me Baby
5. In The Back Of My Mind
6. Good To My Baby
7. Dance Dance Dance
9. I'm So Young
10. Do You Wanna Dance
11. Help Me Ronda
12. Bull Sessions...

Although none of the songs on the album are anything other than great in my opinion, but if i reallly gotta pick then them's me choices...
DontHateTheLove
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »

12. Bull sessions
11. Dont hurt my little sister
10. Help me ronda
9. Do you wanna dance
8. In the back of my mind
7. Dance dance dance
6. Good to my baby
5. Im so young
4. When i grow up to be a man
3. She knows me too well
2. Please let me wonder
1. Kiss me baby
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »

1. In The Back of My Mind
2. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
3. Dance, Dance, Dance
4. Good To My Baby
5. Don't Hurt My Little Sister
6. She Knows Me Too Well
7. Help Me, Ronda
8. Please Let Me Wonder
9. Kiss Me Baby
10.Do You Wanna Dance
11.I'm So Young
12.Bull Session with the "Big Daddy"
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2012, 07:51:16 AM »

Great songs
1. Please Let Me Wonder
2. In the Back of My Mind
3. Kiss Me, Baby

Good catchy songs
4. When I Grow Up
5. Dance, Dance, Dance
6. Good to My Baby

Great chord changes
7. She Knows Me Too Well

I like the single version better
9. Help Me, Ronda

Good cover version
10. Do You Wanna Dance

Not so good cover
11. I'm So Young

Interesting, but give me a song such as All Dressed Up for School
12. Bull Sh*t with the 'Big Daddy'

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »

1. In The Back Of My Mind - Oh man, the feelings this song conjures. The melody is so haunting and gorgeous and the fragility of Dennis' voice nails it.
2. Kiss Me Baby - The lyrics, the chorus and the trading of lines is amazing.
3. Please Let Me Wonder - So loving and sweet but the solo kind of kills it. The solo is like the album version of Wendy, awful (See the Ed Sullivan Show version)
4. When I Grow Up To Be A Man - A theme well done and with a great tag and ending coda.
5. She Knows Me Too Well - Amazing melody and great vocal performances by both Brian and Mike.
6. Good To My Baby - One of the best choruses in any song.
7. Dance Dance Dance - A fun little track with a good, catchy riff and great use of key changes.
8. Do You Wanna Dance - A great rocker, although Dennis is drowned out.
9. I'm So Young - I prefer the alternate version on the Twofer, to be honest.
10. Help Me Ronda - The Summer Days (And Summer Nights !!) version is much better. Drags on much too long and those false endings annoy the heck out of me.
11. Don't Hurt My Little Sister - Risque lyrics which don't go well with kinda poor backing.
12. Bull Sessions - Actually pretty funny, I enjoy each second but gets placed here because it isn't a song. "Everything's gonna be alright, Marilyn".

what?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »

They aren't risque, but I guess he's referring to "why don't you love her/like her big brother?".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »

If one can go along with forcing a story/concept into Pet Sounds, one should be able to see a thematic link between Good To My Baby and Don't Hurt My Little Sister. It is obvious from checking out the lyrics of the ballads on the second side of Today! that Brian's fracturing psyche was focused at that time on paranoia about his relationship with Marilyn. This is plain on songs such as Kiss Me Baby, She Knows Me Too Well, In The Back Of My Mind and Please Let Me Wonder. But it is also plain in the two uptempo songs previously mentioned. Here, Brian's paranoia is focused on other people's vision of the relationship, and the view of himself as the unthinking, insensitive male aggressor. In Good To My Baby, he takes the understandable first-person defensive angle ("They think that I'm bad and I treat her so mean/but all they know is from what they've seen"). With Little Sister, he takes a surprisingly empathetic turn, expressing the reservations of Marilyn's big sister Diane, a woman who was able to converse with Brian in a much more direct fashion than her sister. This view is confirmed by the fact that the tune was originally written to be sung by a woman, Ronnie Spector. He only changed the lyric to a "big brother" perspective when Spector rejected it and he was forced to cut it with the Boys.
I am astounded that people so underrate Little Sister. I honestly never met any fan of Today! who didn't rate the song high before reading comments on this board. It is a major piece of Brian's confessional approach to songwriting, an attack on himself.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »

If one can go along with forcing a story/concept into Pet Sounds, one should be able to see a thematic link between Good To My Baby and Don't Hurt My Little Sister. It is obvious from checking out the lyrics of the ballads on the second side of Today! that Brian's fracturing psyche was focused at that time on paranoia about his relationship with Marilyn. This is plain on songs such as Kiss Me Baby, She Knows Me Too Well, In The Back Of My Mind and Please Let Me Wonder. But it is also plain in the two uptempo songs previously mentioned. Here, Brian's paranoia is focused on other people's vision of the relationship, and the view of himself as the unthinking, insensitive male aggressor. In Good To My Baby, he takes the understandable first-person defensive angle ("They think that I'm bad and I treat her so mean/but all they know is from what they've seen"). With Little Sister, he takes a surprisingly empathetic turn, expressing the reservations of Marilyn's big sister Diane, a woman who was able to converse with Brian in a much more direct fashion than her sister. This view is confirmed by the fact that the tune was originally written to be sung by a woman, Ronnie Spector. He only changed the lyric to a "big brother" perspective when Spector rejected it and he was forced to cut it with the Boys.
I am astounded that people so underrate Little Sister. I honestly never met any fan of Today! who didn't rate the song high before reading comments on this board. It is a major piece of Brian's confessional approach to songwriting, an attack on himself.

There's also talking in the intro.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2012, 05:31:23 PM »

was Marilyn the oldest out of the three Rovell sisters? That's something I've always wondered.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »

I think Marilyn is the "little sister" from the Today! song, which means Diane is older and Barbara (who Brian also fancied) was younger still (!) but by how many years I don't know. Is that right?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »

I was under the impression it was Marilyn - Diane - Barbara, from oldest to youngest.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2012, 11:02:01 PM »

No, Diane is the oldest.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2012, 07:06:10 AM »

Yeah, I think it's Diane, Marilyn and Barbara.

- Dr. Seuss
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2012, 12:11:10 PM »

1. In the Back of My Mind
2. She Knows Me Too Well
3. Please Let Me Wonder
4. Kiss Me Baby
5. Don't Hurt My Little Sister
6. When I Grow Up to be a Man
7. Dance Dance Dance
8. Do You Wanna Dance
9. Help Me Ronda
10. Good To My Baby
11. I'm So Young
12. Bull Sessions With Big Daddy
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »

I can't separate them into numbers because they are all so good.

Really Great:
She Knows Me Too Well
Please Let Me Wonder
In the Back of My Mind
Kiss Me, Baby
Dance, Dance, Dance
I'm So Young
When I Grow Up

Great:
Do You Wanna Dance
Good to My Baby
Don't Hurt My Little Sister

11. Help Me, Ronda
12. Bull Sessions
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:02:07 PM by LetHimRun » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2012, 10:10:53 PM »

After 33 ballots, here is a slightly massaged ranking (having to estimate a few of the point totals due to a few ballots that didn't go in strict 1-12 order) for the Today! songs:

Please Let Me Wonder (10.1), She Knows Me Too Well & Kiss Me Baby (9.2), When I Grow Up (8.7), In the Back of My Mind (8.6),

Dance Dance Dance (6.5), Do You Wanna Dance (6.1), Good to My Baby (6.0),

I'm So Young (4.9), Don't Hurt My Little Sister (4.2), Help Me Ronda (3.5),

Bull Session (1.1)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx