gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 09:11:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Band albums - check: anyone up for top 5 solo releases ?  (Read 11622 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 04:41:35 AM »

Spring doesn't qualify because...

Brian's name isn't on the cover and...
He lost interest pretty quickly. According to the most generous estimate (Marilyn's), there's maybe 25% BW there.
She and David Sandler made it seem like more to me. Desper said he wasn't there much but made a big difference when he was. Plus you can hear him singing on half the cuts.

The 25% is an actual quote from Marilyn, in interview by me in 1986 as a response to SWD's 5% claim.  Old Man
I find your use of the old man emoticon recently very funny... LOL

Respect yer elders, sonny.  Old Man

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 04:42:00 AM »

1. OCA
2. BWPS
3. POB/Bambu
4. Postcard
5. WIRWFC

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
rogerlancelot
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 04:58:43 AM »

I have to admit that I have never heard any of the following:

- Any David Marks cd (I have to get them)

- "Unleash The Love" (I heard it's not too bad)

- "All I Want For Xmas" (I hate Xmas albums)

I have Surfin' Pajama Party on vinyl but no record player so I've never heard that. I downloaded one of Blondie's album a long time ago and don't remember anything about it at all (unlike "The Flame" which gets a regular rotation in my top 500 cds). Al's album was okay but didn't merit a second listen for me (must dig it out again). I really enjoyed GIOMH when it first came out but I have kind of lost the love for it over time. OCA only has 2 good songs on it in my opinion (title track and "San Francisco") which was disappointing to me as I am a fan of VDP and BW.

I guess in all fairness, I need to order the David Marks albums, find a download for Unleash The Love, get all my cds together and listen to them in chronological order to get a fair assessment. I still have a feeling that POB/Bambu (the 2008 2-fer) will come out on top but I am intrigued by the possibility of David Marks blowing away some of the others in my top 5. Thanks for starting this thread, Andrew. It's been kind of slow here lately.
MBE
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 06:02:13 AM »

He lost interest pretty quickly. According to the most generous estimate (Marilyn's), there's maybe 25% BW there.
She and David Sandler made it seem like more to me. Desper said he wasn't there much but made a big difference when he was. Plus you can hear him singing on half the cuts.

The 25% is an actual quote from Marilyn, in interview by me in 1986 as a response to SWD's 5% claim.  Old Man

No doubt but in 1995 and 2003 respectively they gave me a slightly (if not wholly) more generous impression.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:05:09 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 06:15:21 AM »

The 25% is an actual quote from Marilyn, in interview by me in 1986 as a response to SWD's 5% claim.  Old Man

No doubt but in 1995 and 2003 respectively they gave me a slightly (if not wholly) more generous impression.

Researcher's Golden Rule #3 - unless you have compelling evidence to the contrary, go with the source that's closest to the actual event.

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 06:19:58 AM »

1) POB - Miles ahead of the others
2) TLOS
3) Brian Wilson
4) Orange
5) Postcards
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 06:59:26 AM »

I hadn't listen to any David Marks' (except for Ultimate Collector's Edition, doubt that it counts), Blondie & Ricky's records yet, as well as Al's Live In Vegas (unfortunately) & Mike's unreleased albums (except for some individual tracks I found on the Inet). So my Top-5 solo ranking goes as next:

1. That Lucky Old Sun (the only song I dislike is Mexican Girl, everything else - great)
2. Brian's self-titled (marvellous! Well, maybe minus Let It Shine)
3. A Postcard From California (this is very close to #2, actually, very joyful & beautiful musical work)
4. GIOMH (there are many cool moments & I dig the duet tracks)
5. Surfin' Round The World (imo Bruce's greatest achievement is this album, not The Grammy for composing I Write The Songs)

This also raises a point… how much output has Ricky had since leaving the band (other than the Rutles).. I'd be interested to hear any solo material he's put out, very interested. I feel a chump for not knowing the answer myself.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 07:32:59 AM »

Bonnie Raitt.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 07:54:17 AM »

AND some Crowded House tracks
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 08:26:38 AM »

5. Surfin' Round The World (imo Bruce's greatest achievement is this album, not The Grammy for composing I Write The Songs)

Have to admit, I find this a badly produced, underwritten tacky album. The one with the bonus tracks is slightly better.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »

1. BWPS
2. TLOS
3. POB
4. Postcard from CA
5. GIOMH (yeah, I do like it)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »

Have to admit, I find this a badly produced, underwritten tacky album. The one with the bonus tracks is slightly better.

It's one of the greatest surfing albums ever IMO. It's suprising to hear Bruce rocking so much. For anyone who hasn't heard it, if you can listen to Surfin' USA without saying "Oh god not another surf instrumental", then this album is for you!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »

I hadn't listen to any David Marks' (except for Ultimate Collector's Edition, doubt that it counts), Blondie & Ricky's records yet, as well as Al's Live In Vegas (unfortunately) & Mike's unreleased albums (except for some individual tracks I found on the Inet). So my Top-5 solo ranking goes as next:

1. That Lucky Old Sun (the only song I dislike is Mexican Girl, everything else - great)
2. Brian's self-titled (marvellous! Well, maybe minus Let It Shine)
3. A Postcard From California (this is very close to #2, actually, very joyful & beautiful musical work)
4. GIOMH (there are many cool moments & I dig the duet tracks)

This also raises a point… how much output has Ricky had since leaving the band (other than the Rutles).. I'd be interested to hear any solo material he's put out, very interested. I feel a chump for not knowing the answer myself.

He composed the score for an Australian film called Spotswood, 13 tunes. A listening can be arranged if yer keen.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »

1) Smile
2) That Lucky Old Sun
3) Orange Crate Art
4) Gettin' In Over My Head (yes, really -- half of it's dire, but there's some stunningly good stuff in there)
5) Pacific Ocean Blue

(and just because I feel bad leaving off there, 6 through 10:
6) Brian Wilson
7) Postcard From California
Cool Pet Sounds Live
9) What I Really Want For Christmas
10) Carl Wilson)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »

1/ Pacific Ocean Blue
2/ BW/ 1988
3/ Does orange crate art really count given that it's basically a VDP record? Still, that.
4/ Going Public

The rest of them I can't bring myself to care about because in my opinion they are all tasteful and dull with none of the bad but wacky qualities even the lamest BB material had, up to a point. Going public makes the cut because there is something brilliantly perverted about the disco version of Deidre.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »

I wish I could hear what everyone loves so much about POB.  Reminds me of trying to learn to like watermelon as a kid because everyone else seemed to love it and but I just couldn't develop a taste for it. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »

I wish I could hear what everyone loves so much about POB.  Reminds me of trying to learn to like watermelon as a kid because everyone else seemed to love it and but I just couldn't develop a taste for it. 

If we all liked the same things, the world would be a very tedious place. Peaceful, but most tedious.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2012, 01:11:15 PM »

My favourites - though I would say only the first two get regular airings...

1. Orange Crate Art
2. Reimagines Gershwin
3. Brian Wilson
4. Imagination
5. That lucky old sun

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »

Dennis -Pacific Ocean Blue - Better than all but a handful of the BB's group albums too.
Brian -TLOS - A distant 2nd, but good.
Dave Marks- I Think About You Often - A fine and underrated solo album
BW 88- good songs, bad production
BWPS- pales compared to the BB's version, but still really cool
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2012, 03:13:05 AM »

Apart from #1, the other positions are all subject to change, but this morning i'll go with:

1 - POB (it just has to be)
2 - BWP Smile
3 - Reimagines Gershwin
4 - Brian Wilson
5 - Imagination
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2012, 04:02:20 AM »

POB, BW88, and BWRG are the ones I play regularly. Loved both BWPS and TLOS when they came out. Does the Pet Projects compilation count? Would be tough for me decide between that one and POB when it comes to the #1 spot. Orange Crate Art is great but to me it sounds like a VDP album first and foremost. Definitely a favorite though!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2012, 05:22:41 AM »

"if you can listen to Surfin' USA without saying "Oh god not another surf instrumental", then this album is for you!"

I can do that, but the charms of Bruce's album escape me.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2012, 05:35:45 AM »

1. BWPS
2. Lucky Old Sun
3. Reimagines Gershwin
4. BW88
5. POB

To add to the POB debate, I enjoy that album but simply listen to those above it on my list (far) more often. I also listen to Orange Crate Art more than POB but that's not a solo BB's album.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2012, 08:41:26 AM »

Dennis -Pacific Ocean Blue - Better than all but a handful of the BB's group albums too.

Thumbs Up  Hear hear!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2012, 09:19:30 AM »

Agreed, Jon. Been listening to POB since the Summer of '77 and it's far and away the most played of all my BB solo albums (CD's) and I still never get tired of it

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx