gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:59:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Insignificant questions that dont deserve threadsgeneral music edition  (Read 20644 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 10:29:21 AM »

Was Pink Floyd's Candy and A Currant Bun the first rock/pop/"commercial" song to have the word "f*ck" in it?
*cough*

Yes.
Although there is a heavily sped-up utterance in The Mothers Of Invention's The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet a year before.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:30:18 AM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 10:30:44 AM »

Is there a better sax solo than the one King Curtis did on Respect ? I mean, there can't be a better one than that , right? Perhaps I should start a greatest sax breaks thread.

Steve Douglas on Da Doo Run Run.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 10:31:01 AM »

Is the UK mono White Light White Heat folded down ?

Yes.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »

Does anyone know if there were 'issues' with the 2004 reissue of Rumours? Specifically why they would use the barely altered remixes for the bonus material, when they had much more bona fide material in the vaults, as the new 2013 bonus disc shows? It's boggling my mind. Missing tapes? Band infighting (it IS Fleetwood Mac, after all)? Something else? Wonder whether this was known knowledge, so to speak.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 08:10:11 AM »

Does anyone know where one can find the stage performance rights to The Point! By Harry Nilsson, if indeed they exist?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »

Hey hypehat and whoever else: Get me into disco. Tell me what albums or compilations or whatever I absolutely need. I know nothing of the genre beyond the ridiculously popular white-boy Bee Gees disco stuff...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 07:57:43 AM »

OK... I'm not the best for this, my love of the genre comes from my dad playing these records a lot when i was a kid. Kinda reckon this is why my default stance on guitar is to play chords in a chikka-chikka style, a la Nile Rogers. Reckon I need to go through his CDs again...

First off anything by, or touched by, The Chic Organisation is sheer gold. Nile Rogers is my guitar hero. The C'est Chic album gets a lot of play round mine, especially for this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX_BvwP1y2k (Bernard Edwards bassline is utterly spellbinding on that cut) but anything before 1980 is a good bet. Singles, albums, 12'' mixes (especially the 12'' mixes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czvtXjj4tqk).... But Chic also wrote, produced and played the tracks for Sister Sledge (check out He's The Greatest Dancer, what a tune!), Donna Summer* (I'm Coming Out, but find the Chic mix if you can, Motown screwed them over), and Norma Jean (who indeed, but the tracks are slamming). There's a boxset that's out of print, I think, but it's on the torrents.

*I obviously mean Diana Ross, what the f*** is wrong with me

Donna Summer - the Love To Love You Baby album is solid, and I Feel Love, which is possibly the Mount Rushmore of disco. Produced by legend of the game, Giorgio Moroder.

KC & The Sunshine Band are also good on my nostalgia. And if H.A.P.P.Y Radio by Edwin Starr http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS5xEVXWgpA which is absolutely champion

There's apparently a couple of Rhino sets that are good overviews of a lot of the more obscure stuff, like Disco's version of Nuggets, but I haven't got hold of them.

Hope that gets u started!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:25:58 AM by hypehat » Logged

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »

If I started a thread asking for help with listening to modern hip-hop and R&B, would there be any takers?

Two words: Stax and Motown. Don't bother with modern R&B unless it's on the Daptone label.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 03:28:56 AM »

The Daptone label is the equivalent of bands whose only trick is 'we love you Brian Wilson'. Well meaning, but why would you listen to a copy of that thing you love, no matter how well it's done? I have a couple of Sharon Jones albums, but the effect is just... eh. Zero originality.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 09:26:01 PM »

I was going to say that last night but didn't bother. I feel like Daptone is R&B for people who are scared of actually contemporary R&B which incorporates (at least or most obviously) hip-hop. Erykah Badu's more recent stuff, like the New Amerykah series for example.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:58:53 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »

Hey hypehat and whoever else: Get me into disco. Tell me what albums or compilations or whatever I absolutely need. I know nothing of the genre beyond the ridiculously popular white-boy Bee Gees disco stuff...
Grace Jones, Van McCoy, and anything that says TSOP - The Sound of Philadelphia.
That should get you started.  And the Bee Gees were not Disco.  That's R&B.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8IYJBbPEHE
I love this clip. What show is it from?
Not sure, but Motown Soul doesn't get any better than that.  Marvin with or without a partner was the trouble man.  Stevie came damn close.  He's my #2.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
halblaineisgood
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:12:00 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »

On a local Beatles forum, some posters were discussing "Who fits the label 'the real rocker'". Variety of names were brought in, someone even said Viv Prince from The Pretty Things  that comment caught lots of flame & disagreement  like he's worthless & stuff. Anyway, people also made a list of necessary attributes to holding such a status. Ones said you must have greasy long hair, leather jacket, spastic movements to & fro etc. I read this topic attentively & came to conclusion that Elton John is the one I think is the synonym of "rocker". He's got all: energetic stage presence, weird charisma, strong versatile voice (can do falsetto, bass, baritone, just everything), absolutely great piano style (boogie-woogie, even something mellow turns out to be a rollicking dynamic song). Plus he has great dressing style, lots of colors, audacity, Day-Glo, giant glasses & stuff.

What about some of you? I think it's a highly interesting discussion. You can tell either name or in full detail (what needs clothes, performance-wise).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:24:50 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2015, 03:18:50 AM »

Can someone who is a member of the Hoffman board bump the Leonard Cohen album-by-album thread. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/leonard-cohen-album-by-album-thread.389516/page-20
It's been stalled at "Recent Songs" for a while now, and I'm having to resort to finding other things to read.

Please delete my account
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2015, 03:48:21 AM »

On a local Beatles forum, some posters were discussing "Who fits the label 'the real rocker'". Ones said you must have greasy long hair, leather jacket, spastic movements to & fro etc.

That tricky word "rock" again.  Grin

In this context I would say Rockers are the opposite of Mods, as in the goings-on on the beach at Brighton on the mid-sixties. And they were the leather-jacketed types with hair that wasn't long by hippie standards but certainly greasy!

My first thought was of the arch-rocker Gene Vincent, who fits the bill perfectly. (Unfortunately they say he wasn't a particularly nice person.)     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2015, 10:46:18 PM »

Medieval music is just awful.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2015, 01:14:36 AM »

Tell that to Ritchie Blackmore! Please! I mean really, please please tell him.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2015, 02:28:27 AM »

You've probably been subjected to the wrong stuff. Try this for size. Some of the early vocal music is awe-inspiring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJxRDhejtwo

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2015, 07:57:28 AM »

It's really on my nerves that we can't get downloads of Parallel Lines or Eat to the Beat in the US. What's up with that?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2015, 12:41:55 PM »

It's really on my nerves that we can't get downloads of Parallel Lines or Eat to the Beat in the US. What's up with that?

Emily, as a Blondie fan you must see the 1 hr doc on the making of Parallel Lines, "Blondie's New York", now streaming on Netflix. Really good program!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:03:29 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »

Emily, as a Blondie fan you must see the 1 hr doc on the making of Parallel Lines, "Blondie's New York", now streaming on Netflix. Really good program!
Wow! Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely catch it this weekend!
KDS
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2015, 08:27:12 PM »

Tell that to Ritchie Blackmore! Please! I mean really, please please tell him.

Ritchie's coming back to rock....at least briefly.  He's doing two shows in Germany, and one in the UK, billed as Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow.  No word on who'll be filling out the lineup except that Joe Lynn Turner has apparently been ruled out. 

I'm hoping this recharges Ritchie's battery and he does a full tour, but I'm not counting on it. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx