gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:41:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cool Brian Jacket  (Read 5943 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »

Those Hawaiian shirts Brian was seen wearing throughout '67 were custom made, custom tailored, whatever term applies - but they were not "brand" shirts or items you could buy in the store. Such is the perk of being a wealthy pop musician in 1967 - custom clothing on demand.

If I remember, that fact came up in a similar discussion about where to get shirts like those 67-era Hawaiian shirts seen in several photos of Brian at the time, and the answer was that you couldn't get them anywhere because only Brian had them!  Smiley

If I'm wrong, please correct.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »

Those Hawaiian shirts Brian was seen wearing throughout '67 were custom made, custom tailored, whatever term applies - but they were not "brand" shirts or items you could buy in the store. Such is the perk of being a wealthy pop musician in 1967 - custom clothing on demand.

If I remember, that fact came up in a similar discussion about where to get shirts like those 67-era Hawaiian shirts seen in several photos of Brian at the time, and the answer was that you couldn't get them anywhere because only Brian had them!  Smiley

So, maybe, simply haunting vintage LA clothing stores will yield a treasure trove of Brian's shirts

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »

So, maybe, simply haunting vintage LA clothing stores will yield a treasure trove of Brian's shirts
Or Brian's yardsale.... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 11:46:58 PM »

Has anyone checked Mike's attic for those NOS cases of "Brian's Back" t-shirts?  Smiley  Probably right next to the gold turbans.

Seriously though, I doubt vintage stores in LA would have anything great like that in 2012 but it would be fascinating to know what happened to all of that clothing and stuff like the Hawaiian shirts.

Those '67 shirts were awesome.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 12:58:13 AM »

This is the same shirt he wore during the Surf's Up '66 video, right?

Yup.

We need a long, investigative thread devoted to the full history of Banana and Louie.

What about Shannon LOL  LOL

Shannon is gone. I heard she drifted out to sea.

Seriously, the last media mention of the dogs I can recall is in the 1971 Rolling Stone Nolan articles, so that would be summer that year. Maybe SWD can help us out here.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:01:44 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 01:29:17 AM »

I love this thread.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 01:35:35 AM »

Has anyone checked Mike's attic for those NOS cases of "Brian's Back" t-shirts?  Smiley  Probably right next to the gold turbans.

Seriously though, I doubt vintage stores in LA would have anything great like that in 2012 but it would be fascinating to know what happened to all of that clothing and stuff like the Hawaiian shirts.

So they were either thrown away, or donated. If the latter, they were either picked up and worn by others (and probably worn out by now and trashed) or trashed anyway; which means they were probably turned into rags.... 
Sad.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 02:32:34 AM »

So they were either thrown away, or donated. If the latter, they were either picked up and worn by others (and probably worn out by now and trashed) or trashed anyway; which means they were probably turned into rags.... 
Sad.

I genuinely thought you were talking about the dogs then...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 02:44:01 AM »

To quote Homer Simpson "The only people who wear shirts like that are gay guys and big, fat party animals".

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 02:47:57 AM »

Sad.

...or one of the modern 'vintage' (2nd hand) boutiques in LA has them on offer now for el cheapo prices, not knowing what treasure it is harbouring...

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 03:43:01 AM »

they died. dogs have a much shorter lifespan than humans. now Brian owns about 20 dogs.

What about the tortoise he had as a kid?

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 03:56:01 AM »

they died. dogs have a much shorter lifespan than humans. now Brian owns about 20 dogs.

What about the tortoise he had as a kid?

It's out in the bushes somewhere, God only knows where, all of the time wondering what that leaf of paper does, taped onto its shell, reading: "One Day I'm Going To Soar", signed by Brian D. Wilson.

It's being laughed at by other tortoises for that. Ever saw a tortoise laughing? Not a pretty sight, I tells ya'.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:56:59 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 02:40:21 PM »

Whatever happened to the horse Brian wanted to bring into the studio during Pet Sounds?
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 07:08:12 PM »

Somewhat off-topic (but not really) ...

Several years ago I found a website filled with photos taken by a guy who did a lot of traveling in the 40's-60's. They don't know much about the guy, but when he died he bequeathed his entire photo collection to Indiana University. They've put them online here.

Back on topic, he was living in San Francisco in the 60's and took some photos of hippies in '67. This gives you a really good idea of 'authentic' hippie clothing, worn by real hippies! The stuff you see in a lot of stores these days (such as the store Love Culture) are highly stylized and not like the real thing. If you do a search for the word "hippies" you get 24 results which look like this.

And this. The shirt the 2nd guy from the left is wearing looks very similar to the shirt Brian was wearing in one of the pics I showed before.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:09:16 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:27:40 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 11:26:34 AM »

Somewhat off-topic (but not really) ...

Several years ago I found a website filled with photos taken by a guy who did a lot of traveling in the 40's-60's. They don't know much about the guy, but when he died he bequeathed his entire photo collection to Indiana University. They've put them online here.

Back on topic, he was living in San Francisco in the 60's and took some photos of hippies in '67. This gives you a really good idea of 'authentic' hippie clothing, worn by real hippies! The stuff you see in a lot of stores these days (such as the store Love Culture) are highly stylized and not like the real thing. If you do a search for the word "hippies" you get 24 results which look like this.

And this. The shirt the 2nd guy from the left is wearing looks very similar to the shirt Brian was wearing in one of the pics I showed before.

Interesting - the 2nd shot could have been taken yesterday.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx