gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:03:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone here attend the '67 Lei'd in Hawaii show?  (Read 8137 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »

Whether you think the shows are terrible or great-the answer to the question is that Brian is super-involved and takes a bunch of leads-as well as some emceeing duties.  If you hear the 1970 Seattle show-he is also still fairly involved-takes some leads and introduces a song-different guy from 1976 and truly a different guy from 1981

I would have really loved to see this one live.  I've only heard the official releases.  I'm sure there are just a handful of shows like this - Brian at the keys with his original voice and still engaged.  I wonder, was he that involved at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go show?  I know he walked off stage halfway through on the second night if I remember correctly.
I am far more interested in a recording of the Whiskey show(s) than the Hawaii ones, although that's because I heard the Hawaii ones.  Still, the six of them onstage in 1970 for a complete show is very cool and I'd love to hear what it was like.  Did Brian sing any lead vocals?

AFAIK only a low quality audience recording exists.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 01:48:39 AM »

Judging from the small amount of pictures I've seen, Brian seems pretty "down" at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go. He seems to keep his head down and his eyes closed. It will be interesting to read about this period in the upcoming concert guide book. I hope there are some pictures.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 05:37:32 AM »

I wish this board had more people who were there in the 60s-- were fans, went to the shows, bought the albums, read the interviews and formed opinions based on the info they had at the time.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 07:00:59 AM »

Whether you think the shows are terrible or great-the answer to the question is that Brian is super-involved and takes a bunch of leads-as well as some emceeing duties.  If you hear the 1970 Seattle show-he is also still fairly involved-takes some leads and introduces a song-different guy from 1976 and truly a different guy from 1981

I would have really loved to see this one live.  I've only heard the official releases.  I'm sure there are just a handful of shows like this - Brian at the keys with his original voice and still engaged.  I wonder, was he that involved at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go show?  I know he walked off stage halfway through on the second night if I remember correctly.
I am far more interested in a recording of the Whiskey show(s) than the Hawaii ones, although that's because I heard the Hawaii ones.  Still, the six of them onstage in 1970 for a complete show is very cool and I'd love to hear what it was like.  Did Brian sing any lead vocals?

... without Brian. He didn't walk offstage mid gig: he played both sets on the first night, then went home after the first set on the 2nd night, saying the sound was hurting his good ear.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 07:29:37 AM »

I wish this board had more people who were there in the 60s-- were fans, went to the shows, bought the albums, read the interviews and formed opinions based on the info they had at the time.

well, it seems most of those formed opinions were "this band isn't good anymore!"

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »

well, it seems most of those formed opinions were "this band isn't good anymore!"

Okay, fair enough, but maybe their opinions changed over time. I greatly, greatly appreciate the insights of everyone on this board, but it would be nice to have more of that perspective-- "I was there." It would just enhance the board.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 07:53:38 AM »

Okay, fair enough, but maybe their opinions changed over time. I greatly, greatly appreciate the insights of everyone on this board, but it would be nice to have more of that perspective-- "I was there." It would just enhance the board.

The problem is most of those people are 65-75 years old now. They probably don't care about getting on a message board. I do agree with you that it'd be awesome if there were more, and I definitely have noticed there are a few around here who were there, but it's just not going to be that many people in all honesty.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 08:12:45 AM »

The problem is most of those people are 65-75 years old now. They probably don't care about getting on a message board. I do agree with you that it'd be awesome if there were more, and I definitely have noticed there are a few around here who were there, but it's just not going to be that many people in all honesty.

Yeah, I get that. Just musing.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »

From the recordings of the two Hawaii shows Brian sounds like the one most into the performance.  The Baldwin is the foundation instrument on all the songs and he takes a fair few leads as well.  Dennis is the one who sounds like he's on another planet, there are either no drums or the most minimalist you've ever heard.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 10:50:46 PM »

Legend has it 60% of the band were tripping.  Brian's Trip

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »

Somehow I find that very easy to believe. So, the official "Brian tripped only twice" story isn't so true after all, eh?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 12:16:58 AM »

Gee, I wonder which ones...  Wink

But, both nights?
rogerlancelot
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 01:00:03 AM »

Gee, I wonder which ones...  Wink

But, both nights?

I would guess the 25th. On another note, there are stories of Bri taking acid into the 70's. Whether true or not it is very likely that he tried it more than twice but maybe he had two very significant trips that he recalls. It's probably something he doesn't feel comfortable talking about for some reason. In my opinion, it's the speed and to a lesser extent cocaine that did the most damage to him before the Landy years. I've noticed (ex)friends that used meth frequently lost their minds which led to either having to be hospitalized/rehabilitated or an early death. Not to mention that it rots yer teeth!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 05:10:45 AM »

Somehow I find that very easy to believe. So, the official "Brian tripped only twice" story isn't so true after all, eh?

Actually, Brian only tripped once - from early 1965 to mid 1967.  Grin

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 06:23:46 AM »

... without Brian. He didn't walk offstage mid gig: he played both sets on the first night, then went home after the first set on the 2nd night, saying the sound was hurting his good ear.

i remember reading in ashland, ky's local paper (yep...made the news even in my little old home town) back in november 1970 about brian's ear trouble during these shows. the article said brian went to the hospital because of ringing and pain in his ear. brian said something in the interview about the pain and dizziness and he hoped to have an operation to fix the problem and that he wanted to tour with the group after the operation. surprised me when i saw this in our paper in 1970.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 11:52:04 AM »

Blimey Amy, I'm old enough as it is… please don't go wishing even greater antiquity on me! LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »

From the recordings of the two Hawaii shows Brian sounds like the one most into the performance.  The Baldwin is the foundation instrument on all the songs and he takes a fair few leads as well.  Dennis is the one who sounds like he's on another planet, there are either no drums or the most minimalist you've ever heard.

I don't remember where I heard, or from whom, but I think it was that Brian only allowed Dennis to have a kick and a snare for these shows.  I may be totally off base, but hell, I'm old.   Old Man
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »

I don't remember where I heard, or from whom, but I think it was that Brian only allowed Dennis to have a kick and a snare for these shows.  I may be totally off base, but hell, I'm old.   Old Man

Just watched the relevant footage in AAB. Interestingly, there's no bass drum or any cymbals as part of Dennis's kit. From what I can tell there's:

Snare
Hi-hat
2 x tom toms (one which has a tambourine resting on top of it)
1 x floor tom

Sometime during the concert he also switched from sticks to mallets.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjbNwl0EKkY

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 08:03:36 PM »

I love the drum setup for the Hawaii shows. I love the whole instrumental setup, in fact. I really want to start a band that's organ, one guitar, bass, minimal drums, lots of singing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »

Don't forget the acid too, dude!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 08:33:17 PM »

I was a fan from 1963 on -- granted I was in 2nd grade at the start!  I didn't see them live until 1972 (whatta show!) but I followed their career closely and bought all the records -- including (and perhaps primarily) the singles.  I remember staying up to watch them on the Andy Williams show...anyway, the point I want to make is that obviously it was such a different world back then.  There was no Rock press prior to 1967.  Before that time, you might read a dab about them in "16 Magazine" -- maybe.  But really all you had was the records and the radio, and TV performances.  And after "Smiley Smile" you felt really isolated as a fan.  Even with the slow growth of the Smile Legend and the early 70s renaissance into "Endless Summer" saying the BBs were your favorite group made you mighty peculiar.  The advent of the internet and the revitalization of Brian Wilson were amazing occurrences for me.  I wasn't a lone freak anymore!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »

I love the concert and rehearsal recordings. Were there any trials of pairing the new recordings with the audience backgrounds?
I think the organ rocks, it's so early-farty-synth that we all know Brian would come to know in about 10 years. Especially the main groove to You're So Good To Me, Gettin Hungry, the "do it again"/Frogman backgrounds on Surfin, and especially the crappy intro to California Girls.  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »

I love these recordings myself, and I always thought it was interesting that it's Al singing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" when Brian was there.

Just like in 2012.....I'm guessing he had a say that Al would perform it live beginning it in '66.  Al always sang it when Brian toured in the late 70s and 80s.  The only times Al's sung it since 1988 were when he toured with Brian in '06 ( they shared the lead) and 2012 with Brian in the band. I think Brian always preferred Al singing WIBN even over himself.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx