gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:00:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Classic' Bands You Have No Desire To Listen To, And The Reasons Why  (Read 12421 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »

Of course he is. Just a little joke.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2012, 07:33:31 PM »

AC/DC, and Aerosmith fit the bill for me. Can't stand either of them TBH, not sure why though, I guess I just don't "get" them.
Other the other hand, unlike others in this thread, I think Pink Floyd are bloody amazing, and one of the few bands I never get tired of listening too.
I hate AC/DC as well

Anyone who hates AC/DC has some serious issues..... Just sayin...

But to each their own. I used to hate The Beatles and got some serious sh*t for it, so I know the feeling.

I can't stand the Bon Scott era AC/DC, but the Brian Johnson era is some of my favorite Rock n Roll.

Wall to wall speakers + Back in Black....I can't imagine anyone not liking that.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »

I'm aboard with the people that don't get The Grateful Dead.

But props to the people who actually get into them - never seen such devoted followers.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 07:47:10 PM »

I don't get Van Morrison - (bar Gloria (to be obvious) -  I can't get through a single item, and have nearly self-euthanased to avoid hearing Moondance.

I'm glad to see Blue is off the sh*t-list; it always hit me as being 2 amazing albums (stylistically speaking - ie the lush piano tracks (eg My old man, Richard, Blue) vs the guitar based items (Carey, This flight tonight, A case of you)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »

I really like Blue but I also can't help but feel a little annoyed when I listen to it sometimes because I'm thinking, "Man, I sure wish I was rich enough to flee to Europe when I get depressed about breakups!" What a hard life that must be, heh.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2012, 11:31:17 PM »

I tend to stay away from bands that take themselves oh-so-seriously, so of course I avoid most Pink Floyd (especially The Wall era), or Zep. If you can't enjoy a good laugh, as our BB's, especially Brian, often did, or the Kinks, forget it. You didn't just come down from Mt. Sinai with the stone tablets, dude, you're just a wealthy musician.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »

Also, STP was never really grunge , apart from their first album. In fact, they're more of a 60s and 70s influenced band than anything else.

Tiny Music is a brilliant album. People who think they only did grunge music and "I AM I AM I AM" and sh*t should check it out, particularly stuff like "And So I Know" or "Adhesive" which totally stand out in comparison to their peers of the day.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:48:54 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »

AC/DC, and Aerosmith fit the bill for me. Can't stand either of them TBH, not sure why though, I guess I just don't "get" them.
Other the other hand, unlike others in this thread, I think Pink Floyd are bloody amazing, and one of the few bands I never get tired of listening too.
I hate AC/DC as well

But to each their own. I used to hate The Beatles and got some serious sh*t for it, so I know the feeling.

I can't stand the Bon Scott era AC/DC, but the Brian Johnson era is some of my favorite Rock n Roll.

Wall to wall speakers + Back in Black....I can't imagine anyone not liking that.

Much more a fan of the Bon Scott era. Brian Johnson's cool, but his voice gets a little grating at times, and the band weren't so predictable when Bon was around. I'm sure they would've went the same way had he lived, just sayin' - the original sound and style were formed when he was around, and a lot of the better ideas came in the earlier days, too. They remain good to this day (should note I'm definitely a casual fan), but Bon's voice was so good, so much character, and like I said the songwriting in those days does a bit more for me.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2012, 02:51:11 AM »

hypehat reminded me that I think Sly & The Family Stone are some of the most un-funk, boring music ever. Maybe I should snort some Roxis before listening to There's a Riot Goin' On or something but goshdarn is that and their preceding albums snore-inducing.

To say that Riot isn't 'funky' enough is kind of missing the point (although the drumming on the very first tune is enough funk for most men). I don't go to it for a good time, I guess? It's a really dark and uncomfortable record, helped of course by the lo-fi home recording/mixing techniques and vast amounts of drugs being consumed. His lyrics are insane and he sounds strung out as f***! It's like Smiley Smile if they'd invented the drum machine in 1967.

To say that Stand! is nothing but a good time is, however, insane. I will fight for Sly Stone to the death!

I'm unmoved. It's all just boring to me, whether it's meant to be upbeat or not. I'll pass

Fair enough  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2012, 11:58:41 AM »

I hate AC/DC as well

Much more a fan of the Bon Scott era. Brian Johnson's cool, but his voice gets a little grating at times, and the band weren't so predictable when Bon was around. I'm sure they would've went the same way had he lived, just sayin' - the original sound and style were formed when he was around, and a lot of the better ideas came in the earlier days, too. They remain good to this day (should note I'm definitely a casual fan), but Bon's voice was so good, so much character, and like I said the songwriting in those days does a bit more for me.

I actually like the fact that they had both singers/both eras because, frankly as a big fan, I get tired of both guys after a while and it's nice to be able to switch back n forth between eras...

Bon was the better lyricist but Brian's voice was more powerful and more instantly recognizable as being AC/DC. The band got lucky twice with stumbling across the only two guys in the world who's voices fit the band like a glove....
Paulos
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »

I'm going to throw Morrisey/The Smiths into the ring, absolutely cannot fucking stand them! Motley Crue can also go die in fire, possibly the worst band ever.

I'm very surprised at the amount of people who don't like Joni Mitchell but hey ho, different strokes and all.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »

Couldn't agree more regarding Motley Crue! One of the worst bands ever and one of the worst in their on genre...

Hell, most of those 80's hair/glam bands come off pretty well these days but the Crue still sound horrid....
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2012, 12:33:08 PM »

I don't mean to get 'thread police' up in this bitch, but posts going 'I can't stand X or Y suck' is sorta missing the point - I never said I didn't like Joni Mitchell, Led Zep or Pink Floyd, but that I've never listened to them ever of my own choice and had no desire to remedy that situation.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2012, 01:25:05 AM »

I hate AC/DC as well

I'm definitely a Bon girl,  but I LOVE Back in Black.  The Bon years were fun,  he had character in spades,  was cheeky and had the devil in him.  One of my favorite clips of him is Let There Be Rock, in the church.   I respect Brian but for me It's Bon all the way.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx