gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:14:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Classic' Bands You Have No Desire To Listen To, And The Reasons Why  (Read 12485 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2012, 03:24:16 AM »

Pink Floyd - I think I am just being a weirdo and am not able to get over the very annoying guys at school who kept saying that Dark Side Of The Moon was the greatest thing ever because all the songs are like, ten minutes long, mate.

Led Zeppelin - Nothing has ever grabbed me, which is insane as I love ridiculous OTT shouty bluesy tunes and thus should really enjoy Zep. But Stairway To Heaven has A LOT to answer for. Maybe my distaste for prog is clouding my judgement?

Joy Division - See friends at school, although the production on those records is terrible and so I could never, ever listen to them for pleasure.

Scott Walker - when you say 'do you want to listen to lushly orchestrated miserablist pop', I'm normally on that. I also have a bit of time for avant-garde insanity. And yet, I just can't be bothered somehow? I have been played Scott 1 and it seemed so mannered as to be pointless.

Joni Mitchell - To the extent that I thought she had died ages ago. Maybe the insane hype surrounding Blue? I'm not so scared of hyperconfessional songwriting as I used to be, so maybe I'll give it a go. (TBH, Neil Young was on this list too until quite recently). However, I know of one song on Mingus that is the coolest - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgx9e-5_fE8

Al Green - I wish I could explain this other than the fact that I'm just a bad person, really. I listen to all of the other giants of 70's soul - Stevie, Marvin, Isaac, Curtis - so why not Al Green?

Heckling, advice, and your own examples most welcome...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 05:20:33 AM »

Ach give Led Zep and some Joni  a go there is some real quality in there. Pink Floyd are appalling! Overblown, bloated theatrical nonsense, oh boy I really don't like that stuff, it reminds me of sitting getting stoned in my younger days with people going "oh wow man" and me saying "this sh*t is boring, anyone got a copy of Beach Boys Love You?". Other big acts I just dont want to investigate beyond what I have had the misfortune to hear on the radio are U2, theres just no justification for by that pompous, overblown, hectoring, purile nonsense. The Edge's (fucking silly name) guitar playing annoys the hell out of me. I've never understood what people get from their music, likewise Coldplay,  lame, just lame. Public schoolboy rock, horrible, Pink Floyd fit into that category too! Ah, I feel better for getting that out. Thanks
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:52:33 AM »

Pink Floyd's early stuff is way better than than darkside. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 06:59:35 AM »

Pink Floyd - I think I am just being a weirdo and am not able to get over the very annoying guys at school who kept saying that Dark Side Of The Moon was the greatest thing ever because all the songs are like, ten minutes long, mate.

Led Zeppelin - Nothing has ever grabbed me, which is insane as I love ridiculous OTT shouty bluesy tunes and thus should really enjoy Zep. But Stairway To Heaven has A LOT to answer for. Maybe my distaste for prog is clouding my judgement?

Joy Division - See friends at school, although the production on those records is terrible and so I could never, ever listen to them for pleasure.

Scott Walker - when you say 'do you want to listen to lushly orchestrated miserablist pop', I'm normally on that. I also have a bit of time for avant-garde insanity. And yet, I just can't be bothered somehow? I have been played Scott 1 and it seemed so mannered as to be pointless.

Joni Mitchell - To the extent that I thought she had died ages ago. Maybe the insane hype surrounding Blue? I'm not so scared of hyperconfessional songwriting as I used to be, so maybe I'll give it a go. (TBH, Neil Young was on this list too until quite recently). However, I know of one song on Mingus that is the coolest - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgx9e-5_fE8

Al Green - I wish I could explain this other than the fact that I'm just a bad person, really. I listen to all of the other giants of 70's soul - Stevie, Marvin, Isaac, Curtis - so why not Al Green?

Heckling, advice, and your own examples most welcome...

Yeah, I'd agree with all of those. Not that I think any of them suck, they just aren't for me. Although I do love The Walker Brothers.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 07:16:17 AM »

Give Led Zep a chance. Stairway to Heaven is great, but it's not the best of their works. 'Going to California' and 'Over the Hills and Far Away' are chill songs (they kinda remind me of the BB Holland album). The song 'The Ocean' is one of the greatest songs you can blast over a good stereo system.

As for classic bands I have no desire to listen to:

Pink Floyd......like you, I can't stand the hype. I own quite a few of their albums, and haven't gotten into any of them - even after multiple listens.
KISS......are they considered classic? I can't say I've given them a fair chance, but what I've heard I've never been blown away by.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »

Pink Floyd's early stuff is way better than than darkside. Grin

I will second that. Once the millions of $$ started rolling in it was never the same again. Rick Wright was pushed into the background and Waters became obsessed with making every album 'concept' based on his dreary world views.
That's not to say I don't get much enjoyment from the Darkside to Wall era, but give me the stoned insanity of Piper, Umagumma and Atom Heart Mother anyday of the week.

The production on Joy Divisions two main albums are fantasic. Before that they were just thrashy punk.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »

I was a certified Joy Division disciple as a teenager but now Ian Curtis just kind of comes off as an overly dramatic 22 -24 year old silly kid.... I much prefer New Order these days.....

I'm only able to really embrace Zep from Physical Graffiti onward.....

Peal Jam is the one "classic" band that I simply can't stomach....
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »

The Rolling Stones.

Gimme Shelter, Jumpin Jack Flash are two of my very favorite songs, but the rest of their catalogue I could never really get into. I honestly don't know why.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 03:15:30 PM »

Barrett-era Floyd I like, since it's just weird, psychedelic pop songs. I have no time for the overworked later stuff. I saw The Wall a while ago and I was of course super high -- with the exception of some of the scenes in the movie (admittedly cool) and one section of music that sounded like it had Carl and Bruce doing Beach-Boys-y harmonies on it (I know they were on the album somewhere...) I just thought it was incredibly boring music.

I've never been into Led Zep either. I like my blues gutbucket, not some fantasy-styled guitar-pyrotechnics caterwaul fest...

I rather like Scott Walker's four numbered albums but if there's anyone who needs to revisit their earlier catalogue in a stripped-down form, it's him. I think some of the string arrangements are way too busy and it takes away from the songs. (Mostly on the Brel covers, which I could honestly take or leave anyway...)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 03:21:25 PM »

Barrett-era Floyd I like, since it's just weird, psychedelic pop songs. I have no time for the overworked later stuff. I saw The Wall a while ago and I was of course super high -- with the exception of some of the scenes in the movie (admittedly cool) and one section of music that sounded like it had Carl and Bruce doing Beach-Boys-y harmonies on it (I know they were on the album somewhere...) I just thought it was incredibly boring music.

Bruce is the only Beach Boy that sings on The Wall.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »

Oh, for some reason I thought they got Carl as well. Maybe I was confusing it for "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »

Syd-era Pink Floyd is indeed good stuff, but the later stuff is... 'not to my taste'.

I can agree on Led Zeppelin, too. Aside from the blues stuff they nicked from various sources, they're like proto-hair metal with slightly better writing and without the shitty 80s gloss and reverb all over it.

"IM GUNNA GIV U EVERY INCH OF MY LUV!!!! OGGGHHH!!!" No thanks.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »

I hate to say it but Kiss, why? Um well Gene Simmons somewhat whores out there name and a lot of other reasons as well, Though some of there songs are pretty good I might add
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »

The Rolling Stones.

Gimme Shelter, Jumpin Jack Flash are two of my very favorite songs, but the rest of their catalogue I could never really get into. I honestly don't know why.

The Rolling Stones are at a weird impasse between the premise of this thread and a band I like, but I couldn't tell you why - maybe it's the notion of 'THE ROLLING STONES' that fucks me off. They are a bad caricature at this stage, after all, so maybe my gut reaction is based on that #punkrok4lyf

I do like the weirder cuts I've heard of them, but I only own Sticky Fingers so am not versed in the Stones weirdness.

I Did Listen to AL GREEN for most of today, and can confirm that AL GREEN IS ALL TIME. 

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:26:26 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »

I love all of pre-Wall Floyd, love Zep's first four albums, the Rolling Stones are probably my second favorite band after the Beach Boys...and intensely dislike much of the Beatles' early work. To tell the truth, I really don't like Fifties and early sixties music at all. I think I'm weird

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 10:44:38 PM »

and intensely dislike much of the Beatles' early work. To tell the truth, I really don't like Fifties and early sixties music at all.
Yea I never really got into there early stuff either, yea when I was younger I loved it cause I didn't know any better lol
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 10:52:55 PM »

See that's why when I was younger I didn't like the beach boys. I lumped them in with that bunch, all malt shops holding hands going steady and June Cleaver, with the white pocket fence, letterman jackets and ovaltine. Of course years later I realized how much better their early stuff was compared to what was out then. It was not until seeing them live this year that I truly got the magic of that work

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 11:15:09 PM »

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:27:08 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 02:31:23 AM »

The Beatles sort of fill the title of this thread for me. An insanely overrated band for what they actually were. I own The White Album, Magical Mystery Tour, Anthology 3 and a copy of Abbey Road that was already on my mp3 player when I bought it, but I have zero desire to buy anymore of their stuff.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 03:48:48 AM »

The Beatles sort of fill the title of this thread for me. An insanely overrated band for what they actually were. I own The White Album, Magical Mystery Tour, Anthology 3 and a copy of Abbey Road that was already on my mp3 player when I bought it, but I have zero desire to buy anymore of their stuff.

Same here! I do like some of their early stuff but other than that... no, thanks.

That said, I sort of regret having sold my copy of All Things Must Pass...
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 04:25:07 AM »

I guess the only artist on the list I have no interest in getting into is Joni Mitchell. My female singer songwriter slot is currently filled by Laura Nyro. I'm pretty sure I only have one slot. BTW, how do you say Laura Nyro's last name ?
Does it rhyme with pyro, hero??

Laura Nyro's last name rhymes with hero. BTW, Eli & The 13th Confession and New York Tendaberry are essentials.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 05:25:38 AM »

I always pronounced it 'Nigh-Row', but if this thread is proving anything, it's that I'm weird  LOL

And yes, she's great stuff. Sweet Blindess is my jam

Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »

AC/DC, and Aerosmith fit the bill for me. Can't stand either of them TBH, not sure why though, I guess I just don't "get" them.
Other the other hand, unlike others in this thread, I think Pink Floyd are bloody amazing, and one of the few bands I never get tired of listening too.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 11:05:46 PM »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:36:33 AM by God Only Meows » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx