gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681338 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 10:23:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 212950 times)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: March 02, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »

I must have missed something: why is there an old anthology called "Made in California" on Amazon? Or, rather, why is the boxed set taking that name?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1051 on: March 02, 2013, 11:06:54 AM »

I want the 2012 version of "rollin up to heaven" that BBs made to warm up for TWGMTR.

I'd rather have the '74 original!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 02, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »

I must have missed something: why is there an old anthology called "Made in California" on Amazon? Or, rather, why is the boxed set taking that name?

Probably cuz it's a good name for a Beach Boys box set?
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 13, 2013, 07:21:11 AM »

So is there any hope that Made in California is still going to happen?
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 13, 2013, 08:12:55 AM »

It is happening.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 13, 2013, 08:16:47 AM »

Who cares? Have moved on – there's a new One Direction album coming out!

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1056 on: March 13, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »

Yes, it is.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 13, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »

Yes, it is.

Probably no time in the near future. It is kinda ridiculous that they haven't really given us any real info on it since it was announced like 15 months ago. Unlike Phil Cohen, I don't feel they owe me anything, but I gotta say I've gotten to the point where I'm not even expecting it to come out. When details finally get released, then it'll happen. Whatever.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 13, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »

Yes, it is.

Probably no time in the near future. It is kinda ridiculous that they haven't really given us any real info on it since it was announced like 15 months ago. Unlike Phil Cohen, I don't feel they owe me anything, but I gotta say I've gotten to the point where I'm not even expecting it to come out. When details finally get released, then it'll happen. Whatever.

Given that when the tracklist for the live DVD came out people immediately flooded to Amazon and gave it one-star reviews without having seen it, just based on the tracklist, I'd imagine that keeping the information from fans until the very last minute would make sense from a commercial point-of-view. The second a tracklist is released, there'll be thousands of one-star reviews saying "It's full of stuff we've already got!" "Where's Surf's Up Part Two?" "Where's California Feeling 74?" "Why are there songs on this that aren't Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again, which everyone knows is the only unreleased Beach Boys song worth hearing even though I've not heard it?" "Why is there non-Smile material on here? Everyone knows the only worthwhile Beach Boys music is from 1966!" "This tracklist must have been put together by Mike Love! Mike Love sucks!" and so on.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 13, 2013, 06:47:02 PM »

Yes, it is.

Given that when the tracklist for the live DVD came out people immediately flooded to Amazon and gave it one-star reviews without having seen it, just based on the tracklist, I'd imagine that keeping the information from fans until the very last minute would make sense from a commercial point-of-view. The second a tracklist is released, there'll be thousands of one-star reviews saying "It's full of stuff we've already got!" "Where's Surf's Up Part Two?" "Where's California Feeling 74?" "Why are there songs on this that aren't Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again, which everyone knows is the only unreleased Beach Boys song worth hearing even though I've not heard it?" "Why is there non-Smile material on here? Everyone knows the only worthwhile Beach Boys music is from 1966!" "This tracklist must have been put together by Mike Love! Mike Love sucks!" and so on.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that personally if the box set isn't up to snuff.  Box sets usually skew towards the hardcore fanbase anyhow.  That being said The Beach Boys have at least in my opinion been way above the mendoza line when it comes to delivering for their fans as I can't think of an archival release they've put out yet that I haven't liked.  All these years later, HAWTHORNE CA still gets a couple of spins a year in the old car stereo. 

My feeling is anything before 4th quarter is to be considered optimistic.  They are going to want to capitalize on a Christmas cash-in, as they should.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 13, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »

I can't reveal my source but the word is MIC is being delayed because Bruce is still working on his re-recorded version of "She believes in love again".

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 13, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »

Will they use "Surf's Up" '71? Will we get the "Child Is Father Of The Man" mix that Brian made (possibly with the chorus vocals grafted on)? Have they found anything new?
Good questions.  I like your CIFOTM notion, there, but specifically regarding "Surf's Up," I'd really like to see the TSS version get the slightest of remixes which addresses the vocal drag on the chorus.  I personally feel this version has all of the qualities to make it the definitive rendition of the song, but that lag just dosn't sit well with me (and even after this long, it still gets me every time).

I know other fans made note of it when the set was first released, but has there ever been any official remarks as to the reasoning behind choosing to put it out that way?  We know when Brian sang the number live, he sang it strictly on the beat, so I have to wonder why a change was made.  I can't imagine it could have been an error that got past QC, could it?

Anyway, my point is, I'd love to see a nice mono remix of TSS' "Surf's Up" with that 'fix' feature on Made in California.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 13, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »

I'd love to see a nice mono remix of TSS' "Surf's Up" with that 'fix' feature on Made in California.

Huh??

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 13, 2013, 09:53:07 PM »

Huh??
I'd like to hear an official remix of the TSS version of "Surf's Up" which addresses the vocal lag during the chorus and I think Made in California would be as good a place as any to get it to us.

With everything digitized, it would literally take only minutes to adjust the vocal so that it's in sync with the cadence we've always heard for the chrous.  In the end, I'll admit that it's not that big of a deal, but if the song is going to be represented in this career retrospective (and we're not given, say, a killer early 70s live version, instead), I think it's not asking too much to fix the vocal 'lag' first. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 13, 2013, 11:39:09 PM »

Yes, it is.

In total agreement. It really seems like the BBs had a master plan that lasted precisely until the last show in England. At that point, everything else -- personal relationships, works in progress, you name it -- promptly went to sh*t.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1065 on: March 14, 2013, 12:31:47 AM »

It really seems like the BBs had a master plan that lasted precisely until the last show in England. At that point, everything else -- personal relationships, works in progress, you name it -- promptly went to sh*t.

Interesting theory. Not one I subscribe to, however (based on the available evidence).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1066 on: March 14, 2013, 01:00:31 AM »

Yes, it is.

Quite frankly, if Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again wasn't on the box i think the compilers would deserve precisely such criticism.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1067 on: March 14, 2013, 01:01:54 AM »

Huh??
I'd like to hear an official remix of the TSS version of "Surf's Up" which addresses the vocal lag during the chorus and I think Made in California would be as good a place as any to get it to us.

With everything digitized, it would literally take only minutes to adjust the vocal so that it's in sync with the cadence we've always heard for the chrous.  In the end, I'll admit that it's not that big of a deal, but if the song is going to be represented in this career retrospective (and we're not given, say, a killer early 70s live version, instead), I think it's not asking too much to fix the vocal 'lag' first. 

Guess I'm dumb, but I still don't know what you mean with "chorus lag". Surf's Up doesn't have a chorus. Can you tell me the time in the track where this lag appears?

Speaking of Surf's Up, if I had a wish for MIC that would be fulfilled, I'd want a version of the early 1970s live version they did with an orchestra, mixed for stereo with the orchestra in one channel and everything else in the other. I could then "overdub" the orchestra onto the TSS version, that would be pretty near my dream version of Surf's Up. I'm realistic enough to realize that this is a pretty unrealistic wish...

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 14, 2013, 01:42:04 AM »

Will we get the "Child Is Father Of The Man" mix that Brian made

Sorry, I haven't been following the Smile threads for the past 3 years.

Can someone briefly explain why this wasn't on the TSS box?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 14, 2013, 02:54:37 AM »

Huh??

Guess I'm dumb, but I still don't know what you mean with "chorus lag". Surf's Up doesn't have a chorus. Can you tell me the time in the track where this lag appears?

Speaking of Surf's Up, if I had a wish for MIC that would be fulfilled, I'd want a version of the early 1970s live version they did with an orchestra, mixed for stereo with the orchestra in one channel and everything else in the other. I could then "overdub" the orchestra onto the TSS version, that would be pretty near my dream version of Surf's Up. I'm realistic enough to realize that this is a pretty unrealistic wish...

we want more 'binaural' mixes now?  Grin
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1070 on: March 14, 2013, 03:11:48 AM »

we want more 'binaural' mixes now?  Grin

Nope, it's only me, and I only want that one! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: March 14, 2013, 03:47:26 AM »

we want more 'binaural' mixes now?  Grin

Nope, it's only me, and I only want that one! Smiley

What a concept that brings to mind – individually tailored box sets!

How about they make, say, 500 tracks available (inc mixes, remixes, remasters, remixed remasters, remastered remixes, alt versions, unreleased remastered alt remixes, remixed released versions of unreleased remasters etc etc etc) and allow us to each to choose 300 to download for £100/$400.

So you can get the binaural stuff you want – the vox-only stuff, the unreleased Wouldn't It Be Nice to Surf Your California Feeling Again – and you can ignore the stuff you don't want (Kokomo sung in Urdu by Mike and Pope Francis; Deirdre Believes in Endless Tears in The Morning, etc)…

But you only get one shot and the tracks can't be shared.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: March 14, 2013, 03:55:35 AM »

I am happy that this little thread of mine, which more or less started as some oddity, an info-free gag (see my first post) gradually evolved into what it is now... including some cameo appearances by none other than the legendary Phil Cohen.

Please continue, girls and boys!

Smiley

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: March 14, 2013, 05:12:18 AM »

Will we get the "Child Is Father Of The Man" mix that Brian made

Sorry, I haven't been following the Smile threads for the past 3 years.

Can someone briefly explain why this wasn't on the TSS box?

to make room for the fantastic 'Teeter Totter Love' ofc?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 14, 2013, 08:21:21 AM »

Yes, it is.

In total agreement. It really seems like the BBs had a master plan that lasted precisely until the last show in England. At that point, everything else -- personal relationships, works in progress, you name it -- promptly went to sh*t.

When has a plan by the beach boys ever not gone to sh*t. Even the C50 tour went to sh*t.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx