gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681438 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 03:42:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 213034 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: February 28, 2013, 02:19:39 PM »

Let the cat out if you must, but my only request is for fewer (yes) Pet Sounds cuts than GV, given the amount of repackaging and focus that babygets.

Anyway, anyone wanna speculate on the price? $150 (US)? Keen to get my savings plan and permission slip ready.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1026 on: February 28, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »

I don't actually think any studio versions of Pet Sounds cuts should be included, but I'd be open to something like a live version of "I'm Waiting For The Day".

One thing I'd love to hear though is a "backing vocals only" track like they did with the Smile Sessions for the entire PS album.  It would probably only run for a few minutes.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: February 28, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »

I don't actually think any studio versions of Pet Sounds cuts should be included, but I'd be open to something like a live version of "I'm Waiting For The Day".

One thing I'd love to hear though is a "backing vocals only" track like they did with the Smile Sessions for the entire PS album.  It would probably only run for a few minutes.

I really like all those ideas.

Heck, I'd love a career spanning 'backing vocals only' track - high quality vocals of Don't Worry Baby to A Day In The Life Of A Tree to The Night Was So Young.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: February 28, 2013, 06:54:41 PM »

You don't think that they should put any studio versions of songs from their very best album on a career spanning retrospective? Come on. Whether or not we've all bought three or more copies of a lot of the songs on Pet Sounds, they have to include some of that stuff on the box. I am interested in how the SMiLE era is gonna be represented on the box.

For instance, will they group "Cabinessence" with the 20/20 era, as it was truly finished in 1968 and not 1966? Will they use "Surf's Up" '71? Will we get the "Child Is Father Of The Man" mix that Brian made (possibly with the chorus vocals grafted on)? Have they found anything new?
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: February 28, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »

I do wonder about the "Radio" songs and the band's new, reunion material. Here's the professor's prediction: no new, unreleased "Radio" era material will be on MIC; they are saving those songs for the 2013 BB album, which means that album, which we all wonder about, may not require much more "reuniting" and collaboration from the band. That would be sad.

Not that I'd hang my hat on this but Al Jardine told me backstage at the Eugene, OR show that they were going to be working on some leftover tracks and rearranged new versions of Radio tracks for the box set. One specifically mentioned was "Waves of Love"; though I don't see that since Brian wasn't keen on it and Al has already put out two mixes.

Thanks Surf. I would take this as good news. I am not sure that all of Capital's choices were brilliant, so I want to hear what the other, "rejected" tracks are like, especially if they contain a favorite of mine, Dave's "Stowaway." So if they include, as it were, the matter itself of what would be a "new" album as the final section of MIC, I will be pleased to hear it. It may be better than Radio, if there are enough songs on MIC to permit a fair comparison.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: February 28, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »

I had a dream where the set came out and ended up being eight discs and the cover of each disc was this cheesy-yet-kind-of-neat artsy painting that involved each member of The Beach Boys (including David & Bruce) and the last disc (also a painted cover) had this sort of like 'Friends updated for The Beach Boys of 2013' thing going on with Bruce, David, Mike, Brian, and Al standing together with imagery of Carl & Dennis blending in neatly in the sky portion of the cover painting.

I had the same dream!  That's crazy.  Wait.... did you by any chance eat at the Taco Loco on Sutton Ave. last night?
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1031 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:27 PM »

You don't think that they should put any studio versions of songs from their very best album on a career spanning retrospective? Come on. Whether or not we've all bought three or more copies of a lot of the songs on Pet Sounds, they have to include some of that stuff on the box. I am interested in how the SMiLE era is gonna be represented on the box.

Trying to remake the Good Vibrations box (which is more or less a definitive statement on the groups pre-1993 output and IMO should still be available even after this set comes out) with an alternate track listing seems pretty pointless to me.  I think this set should be designed to be a companion to that one, with deeper cuts and more "Hawthorne, CA"-esque material.  If people want the hits and the tracks from Pet Sounds, they have the GV box and a multitude of recent compilations to pick from that will scratch that itch.  Or they could even just buy one of the many versions of Pet Sounds that have come out over the years.  Shocked

Considering this could be the last archival box set that gets released for some time, it just seems a waste to include material (however great) that has been comp'd a thousand times or more when there's so much in the vaults.  Perhaps this is an unrealistic request, but we're talking about what we'd like to see on the box set, not what we'll get.

For instance, will they group "Cabinessence" with the 20/20 era, as it was truly finished in 1968 and not 1966? Will they use "Surf's Up" '71? Will we get the "Child Is Father Of The Man" mix that Brian made (possibly with the chorus vocals grafted on)? Have they found anything new?
I don't mind the inclusion of some Smile stuff (Especially material that wasn't included on the recent box set).  But do I need to have the '68 Cabinessence or Linett's collage of the H&V sections on another compilation?  No.  How about stereo mixes of the tracks that can receive them?
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 28, 2013, 11:47:27 PM »

Didn't someone say that since the smile box came out new material has come to light?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 01, 2013, 04:35:25 AM »

Didn't someone say that since the smile box came out new material has come to light?

Yeah..

I'm hoping that's why MIC has been delayed for so long

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 01, 2013, 04:37:44 AM »

Mhmm, nothing major though, just Surf's Up Part 2 and a Holidays vocal acetate ft. Mike doing the pirate rap. We've devoted too much attention to the Smile era of the band lately though, I hope they overlook this stuff in favour of sharing some of the 1991 studio sessions!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: March 01, 2013, 04:40:35 AM »

Mhmm, nothing major though, just Surf's Up Part 2 and a Holidays vocal acetate ft. Mike doing the pirate rap. We've devoted too much attention to the Smile era of the band lately though, I hope they overlook this stuff in favour of sharing some of the 1991 studio sessions!

Agree. That SMiLE pathology has gone way too far. There even seem to revolve entire message boards around it. We must look for greener and healthier pastures. I suggest we all migrate to that beautiful BW/BBs Facebook page... I hear it is ideologically sound and does not suffer dissidents gladly.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: March 01, 2013, 06:06:19 AM »

Sad thing is, it could be out there........somewhere.........waiting to be found

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1037 on: March 01, 2013, 06:40:09 AM »

Yeah..

I sincerely hope that SMiLE takes a backseat on this new box set.  Yeah, it needs to be represented in some fashion, but didn't we just get an exhaustive (if somewhat bloated) box set of the album a little over a year ago? Sure, SMiLE and Pet Sounds may be the the most remarkable works in the band's repertoire, but are they the only interesting things the band ever did?  Back when the 30th anniversary box set came out, what really caught my attention and elevated my fandom of the group to its zenith, was the late 60's/early 70's material.  I didn't really even care so much about the SMiLE stuff until later on. Obviously the album deserves some attention on this new box set, but if we get a whole disc dedicated to just that album, I'm going to chuck that frisbee-looking box set back to California. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:52:21 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1038 on: March 01, 2013, 06:50:50 AM »

I don't agree with those (several) of you that say that solo tracks should be included.
This is a Beach Boys box set so only Beach Boys songs should be included, not solo tracks (yes I know, previous collections had some, but still) even if in some cases they are superior.
Note, tracks that feature only one BB but were clearly planned to be BB tracks (e.g. demos) could qualify, IMHO.

I'm not sure where the line should be drawn for unreleased stuff -- there's a lot of Beach Boys stuff that only featured one band member, and then conversely, there's quite a lot of "solo" material featuring multiple Beach Boys. I think there could have been a very good case for including, for example, It's Not Too Late on the box, had it not been finally released a couple of years ago.

I don't think Love And Mercy or something should be on there, but I could see the argument for, say, River Song, which was originally recorded as a Beach Boys track and features multiple Beach Boys...

A couple of years ago some guy on the Internets uploaded several profiles'(!) worth of unreleased Beach Boys material on YouTube.  Of course, the Man shut 'em all down pretty quickly, but I did manage to listen to some of the stuff that was uploaded.  My honest opinion was that most of this stuff was bad; not the Love You kind of bad (where the brilliance was in the charm of the songs), but bad bad.  All of a sudden it wasn't such a surprise how stinkers like "When Girls Get Together" saw the light of day when they had so much awful material to choose from.  

Of course this is not to say that there aren't *any* unreleased gems to be had (the fabled "Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again)" allegedly can cure cancer and get the toughest ketchup stains out of your favorite shirt), but I get the feeling that there are far more "Drip Drops" hiding in the vault than there are "Soulful Old Man Sunshines".  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:02:26 AM by Awesoman » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 01, 2013, 06:53:06 AM »

Yeah..

I sincerely hope that SMiLE takes a backseat on this new box set.  Yeah, it needs to be represented in some fashion, but didn't we just get an exhaustive (if somewhat bloated) box set of the album a little over a year ago?  Sure, SMiLE and Pet Sounds may be the the most remarkable works in the band's repetiore, but are they the only interesting things the band ever did?  Back when the 30th anniversary box set came out, what really caught my attention and elevated my fandom of the group to its zenith, was the late 60's/early 70's material.  I didn't really even care so much about the SMiLE stuff until later on.  Obviously the album deserves some attention on this new box set, but if we get a whole disc dedicated to just that album, I'm going to chuck that frisbee-looking box set back to California. 

Agree that the PS and SMILE boxes represent the pinnacle and that there was other interesting stuff, of course: what would really be the icing on the cake for me would be a box set of live material from the early 70s, when they were at their performing peak – loads of gigs were recorded as evidenced by the  double In Concert live LP and the earlier aborted 1LP. Would love to hear all[/b] those tapes cleaned up and put out in a collectors' set. Ian & Jon could do the liner notes; package with a few replica programmes, stubs, etc; … and you've something tastier than the tastiest thing in Tastyville!

“We live in divisive times.”
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1040 on: March 01, 2013, 07:01:52 AM »

Agree that the PS and SMILE boxes represent the pinnacle and that there was other interesting stuff, of course: what would really be the icing on the cake for me would be a box set of live material from the early 70s, when they were at their performing peak – loads of gigs were recorded as evidenced by the  double In Concert live LP and the earlier aborted 1LP. Would love to hear all[/b] those tapes cleaned up and put out in a collectors' set. Ian & Jon could do the liner notes; package with a few replica programmes, stubs, etc; … and you've something tastier than the tastiest thing in Tastyville!

I concur, and a pox on those who don't want to see any live material included in the box set.  That period with Blondie and Ricky in tow produced some pretty damn good live performances out of the band.  Would love to have an officially-released live version of "Wild Honey" (with Blondie on vocals), and they did a pretty awesome live version of "River Song" as well.  And I do believe there are definitely some post-70's live performances that would be worth hearing.  I think they finally got the harmonies sounding right once Matt Jardine joined the touring group.  And that "unplugged" tour they did back in the early 90's was super-sweet; I actually dig their live version of "Take A Load Off Your Feet" more than the studio version (of course, that isn't saying much)!  And I've always preferred hearing Carl Wilson handle the lead vocal of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" over Jardine; he just added some soul to the song that Jardine never could (although Jardine admittingly sounded great singing it during last year's tour). 

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 01, 2013, 12:07:39 PM »

Anyway, anyone wanna speculate on the price? $150 (US)? Keen to get my savings plan and permission slip ready.

Speculating on price is pointless when we don't even know what the box will physically include.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: March 01, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »

... what would really be the icing on the cake for me would be a box set of live material from the early 70s, when they were at their performing peak – loads of gigs were recorded as evidenced by the  double In Concert live LP and the earlier aborted 1LP. Would love to hear all[/b] those tapes cleaned up and put out in a collectors' set. Ian & Jon could do the liner notes; package with a few replica programmes, stubs, etc; … and you've something tastier than the tastiest thing in Tastyville!

Sounds great!  And if a physical release isn't in the cards then Beach Boys Central would be a perfect outlet for that material.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: March 01, 2013, 03:15:12 PM »

Nothing against live stuff, but I'd release them separately, maybe some kind of budget "official bootleg" series for ja diehards, kind of like Experience Hendrix decided to do with Jimi's concerts that didn't quite warrant big time release status like Woodstock.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: March 02, 2013, 02:12:20 AM »

Speculating on price is pointless when we don't even know what the box will physically include.

My retailer has put it at € 102.99. Which would amount to $ 125.00 I guess (my own interpretation, mind, since such items seem always to be somewhat less expensive in the U.S., so a literal conversion wouldn't seem to be useful).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: March 02, 2013, 03:07:33 AM »

Nothing against live stuff, but I'd release them separately, maybe some kind of budget "official bootleg" series for ja diehards, kind of like Experience Hendrix decided to do with Jimi's concerts that didn't quite warrant big time release status like Woodstock.

I'd rather explain the one purchase to my other half, than spend the rest of my days explaining multiple purchases of live tracks she thinks I already bought…

“We live in divisive times.”
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1046 on: March 02, 2013, 09:44:21 AM »

I get the feeling that there are far more "Drip Drops" hiding in the vault than there are "Soulful Old Man Sunshines".  

LOL Great.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: March 02, 2013, 09:51:05 AM »

If Drip Drop is not included on this set, I'm gonna call the cops.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: March 02, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »

I want the 2012 version of "rollin up to heaven" that BBs made to warm up for TWGMTR.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1049 on: March 02, 2013, 10:11:35 AM »

If Drip Drop is not included on this set, I'm gonna call the cops.

Start dialling.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx