gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:58:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 211092 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »

Come on, AGD, play along and throw down. Wink
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 20, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »

Aye, these are hopes and aspirations, not instructions and demands. Any of these that don't make this set can be bonus tracks on the next reissue of the twofers. And if they're not I'll be round to find out why not.    :D

“We live in divisive times.”
rogerlancelot
« Reply #827 on: February 20, 2013, 11:42:43 PM »

Forget about MIC. What the world really needs is a deluxe Summer In Paradise set. Take the original US mix and supplement it with the UK remixes and remakes, include some extensive liner notes (perhaps written by oldsurferdude) and throw in a bonus dvd with videos for "Summer Of Love", "Forever", etc. All of us appreciate different eras of the BBs recording output. There must be a group out there who grew up listening to SIP that feels insulted every time somebody criticizes it. To these people an album like Pet Sounds would seem too depressing or boring with not enough songs about surfing. I am not sure exactly the size of the market for these people but shouldn't we pander to them as well?

On a slightly related topic, here is a YouTube video of a man who is trying to sleep on a couch while another man keeps waking him up by farting in his face:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oiLD1WKpRk
I wouldn't be able to count the number of times I have watched this video over and over laughing out loud and loving it more and more with each viewing. Others here may disagree and prefer to see a video about something else. But it's still the same YouTube. Everybody's tastes differ. And in this video at one point the victim complains "It's in my mouth!" which strongly suggests that he has his own tastes as well.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:47:20 PM by Roger The Shrubber » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 21, 2013, 12:12:35 AM »

Forget about MIC. What the world really needs is a deluxe Summer In Paradise set. Take the original US mix and supplement it with the UK remixes and remakes, include some extensive liner notes (perhaps written by oldsurferdude) and throw in a bonus dvd with videos for "Summer Of Love", "Forever", etc. All of us appreciate different eras of the BBs recording output. There must be a group out there who grew up listening to SIP that feels insulted every time somebody criticizes it. To these people an album like Pet Sounds would seem too depressing or boring with not enough songs about surfing. I am not sure exactly the size of the market for these people but shouldn't we pander to them as well?

On a slightly related topic, here is a YouTube video of a man who is trying to sleep on a couch while another man keeps waking him up by farting in his face:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oiLD1WKpRk
I wouldn't be able to count the number of times I have watched this video over and over laughing out loud and loving it more and more with each viewing. Others here may disagree and prefer to see a video about something else. But it's still the same YouTube. Everybody's tastes differ. And in this video at one point the victim complains "It's in my mouth!" which strongly suggests that he has his own tastes as well.

your credibility might take a dent from that
rogerlancelot
« Reply #829 on: February 21, 2013, 02:25:34 AM »

Again, it is subjective. Some may have groaned at that post and others may have laughed. There is no way to please everybody all the time. Now imagine being in the position of compiling this boxed set and figuring out how to please as many different types of fans as possible.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 21, 2013, 02:36:58 AM »

Again, it is subjective. Some may have groaned at that post and others may have laughed. There is no way to please everybody all the time. Now imagine being in the position of compiling this boxed set and figuring out how to please as many different types of fans as possible.

I can relate well to your last line. We (diehards who all have been bankrupt because of our BB obsession) all have the same monomaniac desires. Then there's a substantial part of the public that is well pleased to purchase something like the 50 BO stuff. But there is also a large segment that sits between these two poles. Now, bear in mind that the GV box was put out 20 years ago, roughly: one generation. So there's simply a new generation of fans-but-not-patients that will get the MiC box set. And indeed: pleasing some large common denominator is very hard.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 21, 2013, 03:11:34 AM »

For everyday that the box set is held up that guy should receive another fart to the face.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:00:10 PM by Death To Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 21, 2013, 04:30:44 AM »

Right.

It's fun reading all these want lists. I'm sure the box set compilers are equally amused. I can see them now: "Dammit, how did we miss that one ?... Who in their right mind would want that ?... Ah, got it covered !"

Thankfully there's this awesome new website that's going to take care of all us diehards.

http://www.beachboyscentral.com/

Sure to sell a million units in... January of 20__... Well, hopefully sometime before the singularity at any rate!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:25 AM »

Right.

It's fun reading all these want lists. I'm sure the box set compilers are equally amused. I can see them now: "Dammit, how did we miss that one ?... Who in their right mind would want that ?... Ah, got it covered !"

Do you have any fun talking about the BBs anymore? Its almost like you look at it like a job, not a hobby that brings pleasure. There is no harm in speculating what favorite vault tracks will appear since we aren't insiders.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 21, 2013, 05:20:30 AM »

Right.

Do you have any fun talking about the BBs anymore?
I don't mean to be a dick, but my first thought was, "Aw, c'mon, folks are just having some fun."  I mean, does anyone here really think they're influencing corporate policy here?  I doubt it.

As an aside, Roger the Shrubber, I found your humorous post 'fair-to-meh,' at least until I read your last line, "...which strongly suggests he has his own tastes, as well," at which point I spontaneously laughed loud enough that I literally woke the baby.  Just didn't see that ending coming.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 21, 2013, 05:57:42 AM »

I strongly suspect that the guy in the videos taste was cabbage.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 21, 2013, 06:04:18 AM »

...I'd buy the hell out of that. Shrug
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 21, 2013, 06:12:31 AM »

A cheap comp of Still Crusin/SIP/ Stars and Stripes with singles like "rock and roll to the rescue" and "California dreaming" would actually make sense. I can't stand most of the material, but it still should be available.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 21, 2013, 06:19:54 AM »

Would love to see some 'rare' live songs:

Forever
Barbara
Lady
River Song
Pom Pom Play Girl
Wild Honey (with Blondie, full version)
Mess of Help
Cuddle Up
Hold On Dear Brother
Here She Comes
Big Sur
Beaks of Eagles (I heard it was performed once or twice?)
Don't Talk
I Know There's An Answer
A Day In The Life Of A Tree

In sum, pretty much the 1970-1974 period. Their best live years, in my opinion.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 21, 2013, 06:29:27 AM »

A high quality live "a day in the life of a tree" would be awesome because Brian sings at the end with his classic voice.

The 1973 recording of Barbara Ann with Brian on lead would be surreal as well.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »

Would love to see some 'rare' live songs:

Forever
Barbara
Lady
River Song
Pom Pom Play Girl
Wild Honey (with Blondie, full version)
Mess of Help
Cuddle Up
Hold On Dear Brother
Here She Comes
Big Sur
Beaks of Eagles (I heard it was performed once or twice?)
Don't Talk
I Know There's An Answer
A Day In The Life Of A Tree

In sum, pretty much the 1970-1974 period. Their best live years, in my opinion.

Yes! Please!

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:15 AM »

A high quality live "a day in the life of a tree" would be awesome because Brian sings at the end with his classic voice.

I've never heard of a 1973 "Barbara Ann" with Brian on lead vocal. I know he came out during one of their encores or something and sang a little, bit I find it highly doubtful Brian did any lead singing on stage from 1970 til 1976.

And as far as some live songs that I'd like to see:

"Please Let Me Wonder' (live 1965)
"Wild Honey" (live 1972)
"In The Back Of My Mind" (live 1975)
"I'm Waiting For The Day" (live 1975)
"Almost Summer" (live 1978)
"The Boogie's Back In Town" (live 1983)
"Good Timin'" (live 2012)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 21, 2013, 08:33:48 AM »

Come on, AGD, play along and throw down. Wink

Just worked out the reason for Andrew's reluctance to participate.

Cos his ten would be:

1. Looking Back With Love
2. On and On and On
3. Runnin' Around the World
4. Over and Over
5. Rockin' the Man in the Boat
6. Calendar Girl
7. Be My Baby
8. One Good Reason
9. Teach Me Tonight
10. Paradise Found

Bonus tracks:
Santa Goes to Kokomo
Jingle Bell Rock

Grin

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 21, 2013, 08:46:15 AM »

Some of Dennis's stuff from his aborted early 70's solo album would be nice, but very unlikely.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 21, 2013, 09:10:59 AM »

I want a high quality live Surfs Up from '71-72 released.

I don't have to wish for WIBNTLA, Wink

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 21, 2013, 09:30:03 AM »

I've never heard of a 1973 "Barbara Ann" with Brian on lead vocal. I know he came out during one of their encores or something and sang a little, bit I find it highly doubtful Brian did any lead singing on stage from 1970 til 1976.

And as far as some live songs that I'd like to see:

"Please Let Me Wonder' (live 1965)
"Wild Honey" (live 1972)
"In The Back Of My Mind" (live 1975)
"I'm Waiting For The Day" (live 1975)
"Almost Summer" (live 1978)
"The Boogie's Back In Town" (live 1983)
"Good Timin'" (live 2012)
I looked up the old thread about the 1973 BA and I think your right about him just joining in on the encore. Mike Eder knows more about it than I do.
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6661.msg331522.html#msg331522
A soundboard of the 1970 shows with Brian and the actual live surfer girl from the "lei'd in Hawaii" concert would be on my list.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:32:12 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 21, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »

Some of Dennis's stuff from his aborted early 70's solo album would be nice, but very unlikely.

"I've Got A Friend" in any shape or form would be a treat.

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 21, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »

Yeah, I was hoping there might be a chance of that getting released some way or other after the POB box was so well received.  I doubt they will be putting much from unreleased solo albums on the box, but the Endless Harmony soundtrack did have "All Alone" and "Brian is Back."
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #848 on: February 21, 2013, 09:54:56 PM »

A cheap comp of Still Crusin/SIP/ Stars and Stripes with singles like "rock and roll to the rescue" and "California dreaming" would actually make sense. I can't stand most of the material, but it still should be available.

Why?  So no one would buy it?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
rogerlancelot
« Reply #849 on: February 22, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »

Why?  So no one would buy it?

Not only would completists buy it but gfac22 already acknowledged that he would be interested and I'm sure he's not alone.

Again, I ask, why in the hell is there no mention of "Chasin' The Sky" in these lists? It's my favorite track from the 80's! Powerful Carl vocal, interesting chord changes, catchy melodies, nice guitar solo break, etc. How does this gem get overlooked when we remember dreck like "Rock And Roll To The Rescue" and "Lady Liberty" just to name two? Huh
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx