gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:00:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 210912 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #800 on: February 18, 2013, 01:51:14 AM »

I was part of a web discussion life with Dave and Steve K today, and a Scotsman asked  DM why the DVD has only 20 odd songs.
I'd be interested to know what the Englishman and Irishman had to add. Was there a Rabbi and a Blonde involved as well?

A professor walked into a web discussion.................
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 18, 2013, 02:35:55 AM »

But, just to consider: I was part of a web discussion life with Dave and Steve K today, and a Scotsman asked  DM why the DVD has only 20 odd songs. Dave said he thought that was sort of only a preliminary release drawn from that one show and that he thought--"hoped" he added--that other fuller releases are to follow. His answer had an unspoken "I'm not in that end of the business" element to it of course, and I suppose he was expressing as much hope as sure knowledge. But, in any case, he certainly saw the AZ show as just as taste of what was recorded and could be produced, agreeing that the RAH show was a great triumph.   Just while I am on the subject: he also said he is looking forward to playing with BW and AL and that he hopes for more show: "I will see what Brian wants to do," he said, sounding so endearingly like a kid so close to his older honorary brother and cool neighbor, now the only Wilson he has left. The title song on Radio is his favorite, by the way.

DM is a gentleman.

He is -- he's the only band member I've never heard *anyone* say anything bad about, as a person.
That said, I would assume the fuller release he's talking about is the one that's coming out in December, especially since from the way you put it it sounds like he's talking about a release with bits from multiple shows.
I definitely hope and expect that DVD to have more songs than the release from last year, or at the very least a different selection -- although the tasters that have been made available through the website aren't inspiring confidence in that *at all* -- but unless someone within the Beach Boys' organisation considers it worth losing a substantial amount of money to get a full-show DVD out, I can't see it happening.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 18, 2013, 05:47:12 AM »

I definitely hope and expect that DVD to have more songs than the release from last year, or at the very least a different selection -- although the tasters that have been made available through the website aren't inspiring confidence in that *at all* -- but unless someone within the Beach Boys' organisation considers it worth losing a substantial amount of money to get a full-show DVD out, I can't see it happening.

Agree Andrew, the tasters have been pretty grim, overall… side notes to history, some, but hardly compelling.

I had a look around the webpage this morning and can't see any indication of how close the project is to getting the funding it was seeking.

Anyone?

“We live in divisive times.”
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 18, 2013, 11:08:39 AM »

I was part of a web discussion life with Dave and Steve K today, and a Scotsman asked  DM why the DVD has only 20 odd songs.
I'd be interested to know what the Englishman and Irishman had to add. Was there a Rabbi and a Blonde involved as well?

A professor walked into a web discussion.................

That is funny. I unconsciously invoked a joke-structure paradigm. The chap was a real Scots, likely Glaswegian (a guess) and thus rather incomprehensible in a charming "what's that now mate?" way.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 18, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »

Agree Andrew, the tasters have been pretty grim, overall… side notes to history, some, but hardly compelling.

I had a look around the webpage this morning and can't see any indication of how close the project is to getting the funding it was seeking.

Anyone?

The money for my pledge came out of the bank last week, and normally with these crowdfunding things they don't take the money until it's fully funded.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 20, 2013, 03:52:15 PM »

God help me, but I almost wish Phil would come back to liven up this Popsicle stand!!!

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 20, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »

I think we're just killing time, treading water, until there's news. If Phil came back the thread would be 12,000 pages deep and we'd been up to our knees in blood and pessimism.

How's about we all name ten tracks oughta be included in the box again, to pass time. One who gets ten outta ten gets to take AGD on a date.

1. Sail On Sailor demo
2. Surf's Up 1971, vocals only
3. Barnyard, with animal noises and no flown-in vocals
4. Child is Father of the Man, acetate
5. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again
6. We Got Love, studio version
7. Only With You, live, Carnegie
8. Mess of Help To Stand Alone, live
9. Hushabye, BBC session 64 (?)
10. Heroes & Villains, 1963

“We live in divisive times.”
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 20, 2013, 05:16:08 PM »

10. Heroes & Villains, 1963

Que?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 20, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »

I assume this is a reference to the story Al and David told in interviews last year about how Brian had parts of H&V worked out in his head even before the band formed properly, and he used to dole out parts of what later became H&V to the various band members to sing in the car. I don't think it was recorded at the time though.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 20, 2013, 06:01:24 PM »

I assume this is a reference to the story Al and David told in interviews last year about how Brian had parts of H&V worked out in his head even before the band formed properly, and he used to dole out parts of what later became H&V to the various band members to sing in the car. I don't think it was recorded at the time though.

Ahh, missed that one. Interesting.

Back on topic.. a few more on my wish list:

1) River Song (DW Tour Rehearsals '76)

2) Barbara Ann (Live '73, Brian on Lead)

3) Visions ('62 BW/ GU outtake - would be great to hear it in A+ quality. Love those early BW/GU sessions.)

4) Please Let Me Wonder (Live '65)

5) A 'Ding Dang' mashup, featuring all of the different versions that were recorded.

6) My Solution (quality on the boots sucks)

7) The unreleased Smiley Smile songs - maybe in mashup form, if they're too short to be included as individual tracks.

Cool Out In The Country

9) Mike Come Back To L.A.

10) Already said it, but any semi-complete BW-penned outtakes from 72-75
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: February 20, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »

"Where we are" would be one of the things that makes the box set for me.

Big fan of that song

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #811 on: February 20, 2013, 06:51:31 PM »

1. California Feelin' 74
2.Any other unbooted songs featuring Brian vocals from 1972-1975
3. WIBNTLA
4.Everybody wants to live just once
5. Any live recordings featuring BW in the early 70s

Other than that I don't care.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 20, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »

Anything previously unheard from the 61-65 era.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: February 20, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »

California Feelin' (demo)
Carry Me Home
I'm Going Your Way (aka California Slide)
It's Trying to Say
Just an Imitation
Lines
Soul Searchin'
Stevie
Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again
You're Still a Mystery
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »

Huh?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 20, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »

Huh?

Sorry, meant '77. I believe it was said at some point that there are tapes of rehearsals for the canceled DW tour.  Perhaps Jon Stebbins, AGD or Mike Eder can verify.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:39:30 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 20, 2013, 07:52:47 PM »

Doubt very much they'll see the light of day.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 20, 2013, 08:10:07 PM »

Which I think would be a shame.  I agree with seltaeb, a recording of a "River Song" tour rehearsal is something I'd jump at the chance to hear.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 20, 2013, 08:10:45 PM »

Was he in bad shape then?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 20, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »

Not as bad as the year after. It was after the release of his album in June and I think he was capable of doing a few dates then, but the last half of the year he started spiraling downward. Jon could answer with the details on the tapes and tour better than I. I think this was covered on a thread not long ago. 

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 20, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »

1 "Back Home" (1963)
2 "Where Is She" (1969)
3 "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" (1971)
4 "California Feelin'" (1974)
5 "In The Back Of My Mind" (1975)
6 "Calendar Girl" (1978)
7 "California Feelin'" (1978)
8 "How's About A Little Bit Of Your Sweet Lovin'" (1979)
9 "Boys And Girls" (1980)
10 "Sweetie" (1981)

Gimme all those and I'm cool. If stuff like "Burlesque" and "Rooftop Harry" exist in some kind of completed form, bring 'em on. Same for that medley Brian did of "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" and "Gimme Some Lovin'". Any post-Light Album Denny would be interesting. Any 1995 Beach Boys album sessions would be cool.

Really, I just want a tracklist to salivate over. Even if the release was months away, a tracklist would be enough to make me very happy.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 20, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »

"Stevie" in pristine quality is my biggest want in the category of things-you-can-obtain-on-boots-but-not-on-official-release. It would be killer to have one or two tracks of which even hardcore fans hadn't known existed. And, of the ones where titles are known, but most of the people on this board haven't heard them - easily WIBN(TLA) and Where Is She.

I don't think a recording of "Just An Imitation" exists, right?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
MBE
« Reply #822 on: February 20, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »

I haven't heard the rehersal tapes but I understand from Jon Dennis was in good form for them. Late 1976 was the first time Dennis was first showing signs of true decline, but through late 1978 Dennis still had fairly good periods in the studio or on stage.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 20, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »

1 "Back Home" (1963)

I'll take that one in upgraded condition.  The '70 version too, though it's unfinished.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #824 on: February 20, 2013, 10:39:14 PM »

"Stevie" in pristine quality is my biggest want in the category of things-you-can-obtain-on-boots-but-not-on-official-release. It would be killer to have one or two tracks of which even hardcore fans hadn't known existed. And, of the ones where titles are known, but most of the people on this board haven't heard them - easily WIBN(TLA) and Where Is She.

I don't think a recording of "Just An Imitation" exists, right?

Right.

It's fun reading all these want lists. I'm sure the box set compilers are equally amused. I can see them now: "Dammit, how did we miss that one ?... Who in their right mind would want that ?... Ah, got it covered !"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:44:00 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx