gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 01:21:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 211101 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: January 26, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »

I got it for Christmas in 1996, and I still remember excitedly putting on disc two so I could hear parts of Smile for the first time, being that I at that point was a new fan and had never heard anything from bootlegs.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 26, 2013, 12:49:12 PM »

Alright you all...let's take the off subject stuff to the general music thread (where I'm definitely going to throw my 5 dollars in...to hell with two cents) and leave this for the box set discussion.

Thanks.

No problem-a.

Thanks Hypey and Voldelabra, for backing me.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 26, 2013, 01:30:04 PM »

I remember buying – I was a sub-editor on a Yorkshire daily, and journos were offered discount on sets (if they weren't already getting freebies for review).  So I got mine at a discount and the kind PR lady threw in the sampler CD for free too.

Still have the set of course, and the sampler, and still listen to them.  If the next box is remotely comparable I'll be a happy fanman.

“We live in divisive times.”
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 26, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »

I got an advance copy of the box from a writer friend of mine, with the notes printed out in a folder. Same with James Brown's Star Time.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #654 on: January 26, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

It's unthinkable now, but this is before the internet. I just remember ringing round all the shops in my local area, finding one about 5 miles away that had it, bussing it out there and spending a substantial amount of mine and my then girlfriends holiday money on it. It was £50, quite a lot even today! I bought a Henry VIII to go with it, and settled down in front of my big 80's seperate system Hi-Fi

I had heard most of the Smile tracks, but the Vegatables mix and Love To Say Da Da were new to me. Other standout tracks were 4th of July, Cabinessence backing track and the IKTAA / GOK tracking sessions.

My girlfriend was pissed off with me, but soon forgave me once the unreleased tracks started rolling in.

Good times......
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 26, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »

It's unthinkable now, but this is before the internet.
You know what? It's gotten to the point where I almost can't remember a time when we didn't have a computer, and access to the internet in our house/life.  LOL It's funny to think about, but also quite scary to realise how deeply the "Internet" has ingrained itself into today's culture. I mean, in the early 1990's when I was growing up, the only chance you had of hearing about an upcoming concert of a band you liked was if you just happened to turn on the car radio and kept the station on long enough to hear the odd concert promo among the random commercials. Nevermind trying to actually get tickets. Now you can just go into Ticketmaster's website, click a few buttons, and you're set. Good times.  Razz

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 27, 2013, 12:16:27 AM »

I mean, in the early 1990's when I was growing up, the only chance you had of hearing about an upcoming concert of a band you liked was if you just happened to turn on the car radio and kept the station on long enough to hear the odd concert promo among the random commercials. Nevermind trying to actually get tickets. Now you can just go into Ticketmaster's website, click a few buttons, and you're set. Good times.  Razz

Aye and pay ten times as much for the privilege!

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 27, 2013, 02:15:50 AM »

So where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 27, 2013, 02:35:47 AM »

So where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set?
We missed it:

"Soon available again."

http://www.wcs-collectors-online.de/en/artikel/artikel/1319838.the-beach-boys-made-in-california-limited-editio.html

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 27, 2013, 09:18:50 AM »

I got it for Christmas in 1996, and I still remember excitedly putting on disc two so I could hear parts of Smile for the first time, being that I at that point was a new fan and had never heard anything from bootlegs.

The box was my introduction to actually hearing SMiLE music.  I had been reading about it for years, but never had access to any boots.  It was also my introduction to Sunflower and much of the music after.  It was a lot to digest on first listen. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: January 27, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »

The box was my introduction to actually hearing SMiLE music.  I had been reading about it for years, but never had access to any boots.  It was also my introduction to Sunflower and much of the music after.  It was a lot to digest on first listen. 
I'm pretty sure I got the box set around the same time also. I remember being VERY unhappy that my older cousin got a copy  before I did. LOL Man, hearing that "hum be dum" part in the Good Vibrations for the first time was miraculous.  Shocked It was one of those "My god, is music really supposed to sound this good?" moments.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #661 on: January 28, 2013, 02:48:22 AM »

I prefer the 'campfire' "Big Sur" for reasons two:

1 - it fits the suite better...

2 - the 4/4 version is overegged.

Interesting factiod: the majority of hard-core fans will prefer the unreleased versions irrespective of whether or not they are actually superior.

I don't know if I'm a hard-core fan, and I'm certainly not the majority, but I prefer the unreleased version of Big Sur but the released version of Santa Ana Winds, for example.

The 3/4 version of Big Sur isn't that bad, though. One of Mike's last really good lead vocals before the TWGMTR album - IMHO.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 28, 2013, 03:00:02 AM »

I prefer the 'campfire' "Big Sur" for reasons two:

1 - it fits the suite better...

2 - the 4/4 version is overegged.

Interesting factiod: the majority of hard-core fans will prefer the unreleased versions irrespective of whether or not they are actually superior.

I don't know if I'm a hard-core fan, and I'm certainly not the majority, but I prefer the unreleased version of Big Sur but the released version of Santa Ana Winds, for example.

The 3/4 version of Big Sur isn't that bad, though. One of Mike's last really good lead vocals before the TWGMTR album - IMHO.

I prefer the released versions of both to be frank.

"On my porch, dreaming about the torch…" indeed…

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 28, 2013, 12:22:34 PM »

The released version of SAW is awful I will never understand anyone who says they like it more.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #664 on: January 28, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »

I like them both, but what makes me prefer the unreleased version is the actual sound. There's something funky going on with KTSA audio-wise (most notably on 'Endless Harmony').

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: January 28, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »

Unreleased SAW is better. Big Sur, I like both. 4/4 is more Wilson-y, 3/4 is more Jardine-y.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 28, 2013, 03:08:19 PM »

The released version of SAW is awful I will never understand anyone who says they like it more.

really? I really dislike the KTSA version but the unreleased one with the easy flowing lysics and the lovely chorus with MIU style vocals is quite good IMO. Woulda been a good song for LA Light
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #667 on: January 28, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »

So I'm the only one who likes the released version of Santa Ana Winds better? Weird. The unreleased version does absolutely nothing for me, I could just the same hear the Battle Hymn thing. The released version moves me like Pet Sounds tracks. The vocal arrangement of the chorus gets more complex and more beautiful each time. It isn't anything near "awful". Only the spoken intro, that's what they should have left off.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #668 on: January 28, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »

i like both its just that the lyrics of the unreleased one are better to me.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 28, 2013, 09:43:40 PM »

So I'm the only one who likes the released version of Santa Ana Winds better? Weird. The unreleased version does absolutely nothing for me, I could just the same hear the Battle Hymn thing. The released version moves me like Pet Sounds tracks. The vocal arrangement of the chorus gets more complex and more beautiful each time. It isn't anything near "awful". Only the spoken intro, that's what they should have left off.

FWIW, I prefer the released version, too. Though, I could do without the spoken-word intro as well (that, and Mike's "clothespin on extra tight" vocal line).

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 28, 2013, 11:59:22 PM »

As stated previous, I also prefer the released version. Tinged with country, an avenue I thought the band might have gone down long term at one stage. Plus, being one of the lucky folks to attend Knebworth in 1980, I witnessed the first live performance of the song so have a soft spot!

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #671 on: January 29, 2013, 06:05:56 AM »

As stated previous, I also prefer the released version. Tinged with country, an avenue I thought the band might have gone down long term at one stage. Plus, being one of the lucky folks to attend Knebworth in 1980, I witnessed the first live performance of the song so have a soft spot!

They played it at Knebworth?!? I think I'm going to throw my Knebworth DVD away. No Dance Dance Dance AND no Santa Ana Winds on there - I hate it! Angry

Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 29, 2013, 06:40:05 AM »

You need the Stoneage Music release  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #673 on: January 29, 2013, 03:59:42 PM »

i like both its just that the lyrics of the unreleased one are better to me.

Those lyrics are the problem for me: clunky, clunkier and clunkiest. I mean, seriously...

On my porch
Thinkin' 'bout the torch
I've been carryin' for you so long

And our love
Thinkin' 'bout our love
Like the Santa Ana winds blow strong

Ben so long
Since you been gone
Been carin' for you so long

If those don't scream "placeholder" at you, well...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: January 29, 2013, 04:08:15 PM »

I too agree the released version is much better. The unreleased lyrics are, TERRIBLE!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx