gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 02:21:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 212471 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 01, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »

The box set, whatever it could have been, and our attempts to extract it from a reluctant Capitol Records, are, essentially a spent force.

This box set is not worth our effort.

Please don't use "our". Your skewed thoughts certainly don't represent my own.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 01, 2012, 03:26:28 PM »

The box set, whatever it could have been, and our attempts to extract it from a reluctant Capitol Records, are, essentially a spent force.

LOL

"Take out a subscription to the Times and cancel it at once!" (Wolf J. Flywheel)

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: December 01, 2012, 03:34:51 PM »

Cohen, last warning - don't ever assume you speak for me, or for anyone else on this board except for yourself. Remember, you're a proven bootlegger and I'm sure both BRI and Capitol would be most interested to have the full gen on you. Then you'll know the meaning of the phrase "spent force".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 01, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »

Mr Boyd, thank you for YOUR efforts and those of your colleagues and friends.

99.9% of us here appreciate them and are grateful.

Surf's up!

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilCohen
« Reply #304 on: December 01, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »

Cohen, last warning - don't ever assume you speak for me, or for anyone else on this board except for yourself. Remember, you're a proven bootlegger and I'm sure both BRI and Capitol would be most interested to have the full gen on you. Then you'll know the meaning of the phrase "spent force".

Why do you keep harping on your allegation that I'm a so-called "Bootlegger". I didn't originate the so-called bootlegging of any of the material in question. All of it traced it's origins to existing bootlegs by "Sea of Tunes", "Vigotone" and other (now-defunct) bootleg labels. All I did was cut out the filler material, and enhance the sound quality a bit.  I've never monetarily profited in any way. And subsequent to the official release of "The Smile Sessions", the website in question no longer (to my knowledge) offers any Beach Boys material.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 03:52:04 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 01, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »

add me to that 99.9% as well Mr Boyd!!
Your efforts are very much appreciated!   Grin

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: December 01, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »

You have been directly involved in the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted, unreleased material via the Big O site, and not just by The Beach Boys. If that's not bootlegging, I don't know what is. Very thin ice.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 01, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »

I'm interested in finding out who are all these people PhilCohen is speaking for, are they invisible per chance?
PhilCohen
« Reply #308 on: December 01, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »

Mr.Doe, I'm appalled by your holier-than-thou attitude. Are you to claim ,that during the decades before the release of the "Smile Sessions" box, that you never bought or listened to a "Smile" bootleg? On the other hand, my motive was noble: After spending $2200 on unofficial Beach Boys CD's in the 1990's, and finding that the occasional bits of quality music were surrounded by hours of breakdown takes, false starts and other useless filler, I wanted to spare other fans from grossly overpaying for this material.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 01, 2012, 04:05:47 PM »

That doesn't make it legal....

PhilCohen
« Reply #310 on: December 01, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »

You have been directly involved in the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted, unreleased material via the Big O site, and not just by The Beach Boys. If that's not bootlegging, I don't know what is. Very thin ice.

And Mr.Doe, I have never been "directly involved". I have never owned or operated a website or ever uploaded as much as one note of music onto the internet.

And remember, this thread is about the proposed box set. Let's go back to the subject of this thread.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:09:38 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 01, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »

Hey Phil, I'd love to know more about the "tape from California" that you mentioned in the notes that accompanied your BigO Smile collection. Did you refer to it as better sound or a better source of some such? I hope that material was offered up for the official TSS set!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:15:14 PM by John Manning » Logged

PhilCohen
« Reply #312 on: December 01, 2012, 04:20:30 PM »

Hey Phil, I'd love to know more about the "tape from California" that you mentioned in the notes that accompanied your BigO Smile collection. Did you refer to it as better sound or a better source of some such? I hope that material was offered up for the official TSS set!

It was a cassette from a fellow collector which contained sources for "Holidays" & "Barnyard" better than those that were then in circulation on unofficial CD. The tracks have now been offered with even better quality on "The Smile Sessions" from Capitol.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 01, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »

But the typical, general public CD consumer(the people that "50 Big Ones" was aimed at) long ago forgot that Capitol was promising a box set...if they even cared. Capitol lost those people as potential consumers for a box set.

This is nonsense. Let's be honest. I doubt many of the people that read the press release that announced the reunion last year have an opinion one way or the other about a Beach Boys box set. Some people might have gotten interested, and their interest will still likely be piqued when details on it are announced. I highly doubt that people who were interested in rare and unreleased Beach Boys material suddenly decided they didn't care anymore because the box set isn't out yet. What is more likely is that they have a lot of Beach Boys material to listen to, including The SMiLE Sessions, Fifty Big Ones, and the 12 remasters amongst other things. And they also probably listen to other music too. So when that box set does come out, it will be a cherry on top of their musical collection - not the entire meal.

Am I bummed that the set hasn't came out yet? Sure. But guess what? It'll be out soon enough and I have a lot of music to enjoy as it is right now. No use in being bummed out about something I can't control. Plus, let's be honest. Do you have any interest in music, really? I never see you comment in any of the other threads on this site, because all you seem to care about is "product". If you would be so inclined, Mr. Cohen, just so you can prove that you even like The Beach Boys, could you tell us what your favorite song on Sunflower is, and why? I'm not sure you could do that, because I find it hard to believe you even enjoy music. It's just some OCD collector's insanity that you have.

Mr.Doe, I'm appalled by your holier-than-thou attitude. Are you to claim ,that during the decades before the release of the "Smile Sessions" box, that you never bought or listened to a "Smile" bootleg? On the other hand, my motive was noble: After spending $2200 on unofficial Beach Boys CD's in the 1990's, and finding that the occasional bits of quality music were surrounded by hours of breakdown takes, false starts and other useless filler, I wanted to spare other fans from grossly overpaying for this material.

Phil, please spare us your attempt at trying to convey yourself as some kind of hero. Bootleggers are not heroes. Surely I'm happy that I've gotten to hear a bunch of great material that I wouldn't have heard earlier via bootleg, but you're not this great person because you help organize bootleg material.
PhilCohen
« Reply #314 on: December 01, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »

...and here I am (somewhat compulsively) sitting in front of this computer screen jousting with Mr.Doe, when I have an enormous backlog of yet-to-be-played CD's & DVD's. I should just go and listen to and watch this stack of hundreds of discs. That's what I'm going to do. I could listen to CD's through my computer speakers, but I'd rather listen to them through a full-sized Hifi/home theater system, which is in another part of my home.

In reality, barring possible future archival releases by Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney, Small Faces,The Beatles, The Rolling Stones & The Beach Boys, there's not really much more that I want. All this internet crap is taking my time; time that could be used to enjoy my existing collection. Many of the other artists that I collect have scraped the bottom of the barrel, largely emptying their vaults. I'm nearing the end of the road on a music collecting hobby that started around the time when The Beatles released "Revolver" in 1966.
PhilCohen
« Reply #315 on: December 01, 2012, 04:39:49 PM »

But the typical, general public CD consumer(the people that "50 Big Ones" was aimed at) long ago forgot that Capitol was promising a box set...if they even cared. Capitol lost those people as potential consumers for a box set.

This is nonsense. Let's be honest. I doubt many of the people that read the press release that announced the reunion last year have an opinion one way or the other about a Beach Boys box set. Some people might have gotten interested, and their interest will still likely be piqued when details on it are announced. I highly doubt that people who were interested in rare and unreleased Beach Boys material suddenly decided they didn't care anymore because the box set isn't out yet. What is more likely is that they have a lot of Beach Boys material to listen to, including The SMiLE Sessions, Fifty Big Ones, and the 12 remasters amongst other things. And they also probably listen to other music too. So when that box set does come out, it will be a cherry on top of their musical collection - not the entire meal.

Am I bummed that the set hasn't came out yet? Sure. But guess what? It'll be out soon enough and I have a lot of music to enjoy as it is right now. No use in being bummed out about something I can't control. Plus, let's be honest. Do you have any interest in music, really? I never see you comment in any of the other threads on this site, because all you seem to care about is "product". If you would be so inclined, Mr. Cohen, just so you can prove that you even like The Beach Boys, could you tell us what your favorite song on Sunflower is, and why? I'm not sure you could do that, because I find it hard to believe you even enjoy music. It's just some OCD collector's insanity that you have.

Phil, please spare us your attempt at trying to convey yourself as some kind of hero. Bootleggers are not heroes. Surely I'm happy that I've gotten to hear a bunch of great material that I wouldn't have heard earlier via bootleg, but you're not this great person because you help organize bootleg material.

Bootleggers (as opposed to counterfeiters) are indeed heroes. Their efforts kept interest in Beatles outtakes & Beach Boys "Smile" recordings alive for so many years. "The Beatles Anthology" series & "The Beach Boys-The Smile Sessions" would never have happened if bootleggers had not proven that there was a market for these outtakes
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 01, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »

Agree that bootleggers' output maintained interest in such but do you honestly think that was their motive or merely a byproduct of their nefarious desire to line their own pockets by trading stolen material?

PhilCohen
« Reply #317 on: December 01, 2012, 04:49:53 PM »

My favorite track on "Sunflower" is "This Whole World", because of the melody, harmonies & arrangement. My favorite Beach Boys track overall, is (oddly) "Girls on The Beach" because of the astonishing way that the voices handle the numerous key changes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 01, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »

. All this internet crap is taking my time; time that could be used to enjoy my existing collection.

Don't be a martyr. No one is asking you to be doing this. No one wants you to be doing this!

When you took your leave, for a while there we had a fairly normal thread with discussion about the MUSIC that would be on this set, anticipation about WHEN it would come out, and not IF.

You have the gift of being able to have a collection of fine music, like so many of us here, so go enjoy it. Why can't you just post here about your favorite Beach Boys music? You couldn't even answer the question posed above somewhere - let's have it - what's your favorite song on Sunflower, and why? How does this music make you feel? THAT'S what it's all about, not posting insanely stupid missives at Capitol like they owe you a favor.

(edit: I see the answer right above. Hey, good for you!)

Enough is enough. I don't think you're a troll (and if you are, you're a damn good one!), but rather, just a very misguided soul who needs some help. And you won't find it by keep posting what you're posting. Please, please, please....stop.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:53:00 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

PhilCohen
« Reply #319 on: December 01, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »

Agree that bootleggers' output maintained interest in such but do you honestly think that was their motive or merely a byproduct of their nefarious desire to line their own pockets by trading stolen material?

It was mainly attempts to restrict bootleggers' access to CD pressing plants that caused the disc prices to be so high. And, in the 21st century many of the bootleg CD labels are being hurt by downloading, in the very same way that the official labels are. There is no longer any money to be made on bootleg CD's. One bootlegger complained, that 3 weeks after he released a CD, it would be available on file sharing sites for free.

I would say this: the situation that we have now, where people can get permanently unreleased concerts & outtakes for free on the internet, is better for the industry than the 1990's heyday of $30-per disc bootlegs, because now no money(that could potentially be used to buy official CD's) is being syphoned away by bootleg CD sales.
PhilCohen
« Reply #320 on: December 01, 2012, 05:00:13 PM »

. All this internet crap is taking my time; time that could be used to enjoy my existing collection.

Don't be a martyr. No one is asking you to be doing this. No one wants you to be doing this!

When you took your leave, for a while there we had a fairly normal thread with discussion about the MUSIC that would be on this set, anticipation about WHEN it would come out, and not IF.

You have the gift of being able to have a collection of fine music, like so many of us here, so go enjoy it. Why can't you just post here about your favorite Beach Boys music? You couldn't even answer the question posed above somewhere - let's have it - what's your favorite song on Sunflower, and why? How does this music make you feel? THAT'S what it's all about, not posting insanely stupid missives at Capitol like they owe you a favor.

(edit: I see the answer right above. Hey, good for you!)

Enough is enough. I don't think you're a troll (and if you are, you're a damn good one!), but rather, just a very misguided soul who needs some help. And you won't find it by keep posting what you're posting. Please, please, please....stop.

It was a mistake to come back to the forum. If Capitol doesn't want to release The Beach Boys box set, then so be it.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 01, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »

Let's be friends
Let's be friends
Let's be friends

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 01, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »

Capitol is now a subsidiary of Universal. There have been a number of mitigating  factors, including changes in some of the company staff overseeing product from The Beach Boys. Second, as anyone who has worked on a boxed sets already knows, it is a challenge to get group consensus as to what material will comprise such a set. The Pet sounds Set is an example of that. The Smile Box was relatively on schedule by comparison, which is often the exception rather than the rule. Ownership of some of the material may be an issue, as is finding best quality source tapes.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
PhilCohen
« Reply #323 on: December 01, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »

Capitol is now a subsidiary of Universal. There have been a number of mitigating  factors, including changes in some of the company staff overseeing product from The Beach Boys. Second, as anyone who has worked on a boxed sets already knows, it is a challenge to get group consensus as to what material will comprise such a set. The Pet sounds Set is an example of that. The Smile Box was relatively on schedule by comparison, which is often the exception rather than the rule. Ownership of some of the material may be an issue, as is finding best quality source tapes.

Thanks Mr.Reum for letting us know why the box set didn't happen. I guess that there's nothing more to say. End of story.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: December 01, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »

Thanks Mr.Reum for letting us know why the box set didn't happen. I guess that there's nothing more to say. End of story.

It doesn't mean that it's not happening. It has already been said that one of the reasons why it's delayed it's because the tracklist is still in progress.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx