gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681028 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 09:25:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 212128 times)
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: December 16, 2012, 07:10:55 AM »

The inclusion of WIBNTLA would make a ton of fans very happy. With the box being 6 discs, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't included on here.

Something else, that's less likely, I'm really hoping for is a studio version of SOS with Carl's lead vocals. I've been thinking about it ever since it was brought up in another thread. It's a given hit songs will be on the box but to have a different takes or versions of some of those hits would be extremely cool.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: December 16, 2012, 07:19:32 AM »

Something else, that's less likely, I'm really hoping for is a studio version of SOS with Carl's lead vocals.

Prepare to be disappointed: this is not known to exist in the BRI archive (if indeed it exists at all: the evidence for both sides is equivocal), and it's widely believed that Carl's vocal take was recorded over by Blondie.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 16, 2012, 08:40:05 AM »

Thanks for the info Andrew and no disappointment here (wasn't honestly expecting it to show up).
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »

The odds of it showing up are slim. Wasn't Al completely unaware of the songs existence

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 16, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »

Something else, that's less likely, I'm really hoping for is a studio version of SOS with Carl's lead vocals.

Prepare to be disappointed: this is not known to exist in the BRI archive (if indeed it exists at all: the evidence for both sides is equivocal), and it's widely believed that Carl's vocal take was recorded over by Blondie.
Refresh my memory, Andrew.  Did Mr. Desper say something about maybe having a copy of "Sail on, Sailor" featuring Carl tucked away in storage?  Maybe a rehearsal version?  I can't recall, specifically, but I imagine you may.  At the least, I believe he raved about Carl's singing on the song live.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: December 16, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »

As much of a fan of Brians writing that I am, im more of a fan of Brians voice from 1967 through 1980. It could be him heavily coked up singing Afternoon Delight and I'd still want to hear it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: December 16, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »

The Made in California set is on track for release after the New Year. Probably early Spring. It will be worth the wait.

So, June.

We can't wait for June!!! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 16, 2012, 09:32:42 PM »

The Made in California set is on track for release after the New Year. Probably early Spring. It will be worth the wait.

So, June.

We can't wait for June!!! Grin
Those were the exact same words that(I believe) Jon Stebbins quoted in the thead about the announcment of the concert guide book. Having the box set released at the same time of the concert guide book would be rather awesome, actually.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: December 16, 2012, 10:35:37 PM »

Refresh my memory, Andrew.  Did Mr. Desper say something about maybe having a copy of "Sail on, Sailor" featuring Carl tucked away in storage?  Maybe a rehearsal version?  I can't recall, specifically, but I imagine you may.  At the least, I believe he raved about Carl's singing on the song live.

Note I qualified my comment with "in the BRI archive". SWD has stated here several times that he has a copy in his personal storage facility with Carl singing lead and I'm not going to dispute that as I don't have the key !  However, purely on a timeline basis, I'm finding it hard to square his comments about  mixing Carl singing it live in concert with his departure from the BB's employ in late 1971, as the first documented live performance was March 31st 1973 in South Bend, Indiana, shortly after it was released as a single.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #459 on: December 17, 2012, 12:21:35 AM »

The odds of it showing up are slim. Wasn't Al completely unaware of the songs existence

What on earth has Al's awareness or otherwise of a songs existence got to do with whether or not it'll be released? I'm fairly certain Al was waking up every morning humming away A Time To Live In Dreams or Barbara prior to their releases either...
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 17, 2012, 01:42:05 AM »

Recently I've been having high hopes for 'Carry Me Home' on the box. Anyone know why this wasnt included over, say, Only With You or We Got Love (which was originally intended to be included? Could the LP's back then have room for Carry Me Home or was the space to limited? Where the other members jealous of Dennis' significant contributions?
MBE
« Reply #461 on: December 17, 2012, 02:27:31 AM »

Carry Me Home is interesting and I like it myself but maybe it would hit too close to the bone for Brian.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 17, 2012, 06:14:16 AM »

Carry Me Home is interesting and I like it myself but maybe it would hit too close to the bone for Brian.

Pardon my ignorance, but why do you say that?
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 17, 2012, 06:31:52 AM »

Note I qualified my comment with "in the BRI archive". SWD has stated here several times that he has a copy in his personal storage facility with Carl singing lead and I'm not going to dispute that as I don't have the key !  However, purely on a timeline basis, I'm finding it hard to square his comments about  mixing Carl singing it live in concert with his departure from the BB's employ in late 1971, as the first documented live performance was March 31st 1973 in South Bend, Indiana, shortly after it was released as a single.
I see.  Yes, this is pretty much as I remember it.  Thank you for your reply.

ps. I did note the BRI comment to myself, which is, in fact, the very thing which caused me ask about Mr. Desper, specifically.  Shame there hasn't come a time where representatives from BRI and Stephen have come together to see if there's anything of interest which Stephen may wish to contribute to the archives of BRI.  What do I know, though?  Perhaps this conversation has, in fact, already taken place.  One thing I do know, though, is that if Stephen and BRI are ever inclined to make such an existing copy of "Sail on, Sailor" available publicily, it would be the realization of one of my personal musical desires!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: December 17, 2012, 07:37:50 AM »

Some of the lyrics are "please God, don't let me die" and "don't wanna die", sung by Dennis.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #465 on: December 17, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »

Some of the lyrics are "please God, don't let me die" and "don't wanna die", sung by Dennis.

I'd thought it was on record that certain group members had complained that the song was 'too down'. Ignoring presumably in the process that the song was an absolute masterpiece... If there's any justice in the world we'll just have Carry Me Home AND Wouldnt It Be Nice To Live Again on the boxset. I mean, really, why not???
Paulos
« Reply #466 on: December 17, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »

I'd thought it was on record that certain group members had complained that the song was 'too down'. Ignoring presumably in the process that the song was an absolute masterpiece... If there's any justice in the world we'll just have Carry Me Home AND Wouldnt It Be Nice To Live Again on the boxset. I mean, really, why not???

Dennis felt it was a bit of a downer, think there is a quote about this in Timothy White's book, I really hope it gets a proper release.

The song contains the lyrics 'The rain's falling down on me, the wind is growing cold, my eyes are getting tired, I guess I won't grow old' - the last line turned out to be true sadly.
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:57 AM »

Any chance of getting "I've got a friend" version on the box set, live and/or backing track?
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 18, 2012, 07:55:41 AM »

"Carry Me Home" may be a bit of a downer, but's an absolutely beautiful piece of artistic work.  I really hope it gets it's deserved release.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: December 18, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »

Any chance of getting "I've got a friend" version on the box set, live and/or backing track?

Same chance as any archive track. It's known to exist, it's logged in the BRI vault inventory. Just has to take its chance with the other stuff. As it's just a track, and there's no known professionally recorded live version, I'm thinking not.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #470 on: December 18, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »

It's sad that Dennis' share was sold off and that there's no-one representing him pushing for more of his stuff to be released. His songs almost never disappoint. I heard All Of My Love for the first time ever recently and it left my jaw hanging open in a way no other bootleg has done in a long time!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 18, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »

I don't know if this means anything but when they posted on the The Beach Boys facebook page about the christmas BB ball gift i commented on saying that i would have rather seen a news about Made In California, something like that, and they deleted the comment, i thought that was quite weird.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 18, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »

I don't know if this means anything but when they posted on the The Beach Boys facebook page about the christmas BB ball gift i commented on saying that i would have rather seen a news about Made In California, something like that, and they deleted the comment, i thought that was quite weird.

[cue Phil Cohen conspiracy theory]

musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: December 18, 2012, 01:37:21 PM »

I saw a comment on a BB fanpage months earlier who faced a similar situation. They asked about UK dates (before they were added) and they ended up getting temporarily banned from the BB official facebook page and their comment was deleted too.

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 19, 2012, 06:15:36 AM »

I saw a comment on a BB fanpage months earlier who faced a similar situation. They asked about UK dates (before they were added) and they ended up getting temporarily banned from the BB official facebook page and their comment was deleted too.

Well, I think we fans need to back off a bit and stop making a fuss about how much we want this box set, 'cause, you know, we could jeopardize the whole thing and Capitol could decide not to release it.  Grin

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx