gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:41:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #3: Surfer Girl  (Read 24624 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:10:09 AM »

So, Dr. Voldelabra had a great idea on the last one, and thought it would be cool if we give a little reasoning behind how we rank the tracks the way we do. So, let's give that a shot this time!

I really like this album. A lot of really beautiful stuff started to gush out of Brian.

12. Boogie Woodie - Doesn't really do much for me. Same old instrumental stuff.
11. The Rocking Surfer - Same as above, just slightly better for me.
10. South Bay Surfer - This song just sounds really corny to me.
9. Surfer's Rule - I really like Dennis' vocals on this one!
8. Our Car Club - Really great song, it just belongs on Little Deuce Coupe that's all.
7. Little Deuce Coupe - Same as above.
6. Catch A Wave - Classic Beach Boys. Really catchy song!
5. Hawaii - I really love Brian's falsetto on this one. Always stuck in my head.
4. The Surfer Moon - Really nice song. Really nice harmony. Sounds difficult to sing some of those words the way Brian does.
3. Your Summer Dream - I really love this song. I love that guitar sound.
2. In My Room - The whole story behind this song is just so beautiful. With just the Wilson's singing in the beginning like they used to, wow. When everyone comes together, it blows me away.
1. Surfer Girl - Really close between this and In My Room for me, but just something about this one that will be one of their all time greats forever. I love it all.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »

1. Little Deuce Coupe - one of the greatest Beach Boys songs
2. Surfer Girl
3. Catch A Wave
4. In My Room
5. Your Summer Dream
6. The Surfer Moon
7. Hawaii - though I envision Kermit the frog singing the verses, Brian's chorus falsetto makes up for it.
8. Our Car Club - "Jackets on wherever we cruise" melody is genius.
9. Surfer's Rule - the coda is great, a nod to The Four Seasons
10. South Bay Surfer - Better than Surfing down the Swannee - but not by much
11. Boogie Woodie - I really dig this instrumental, but it's not as good as the other tracks.
12. The Rocking Surfer

Difficult list to make!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »

This album has so many 'classic' Beach Boys tracks. About 3/4ths of a perfect fun album. Not a huge fan of my bottom four and usually skip them.

1. Surfer Girl - this is perfection.
2. In My Room - Harmonies wash over you - emotional track.
3. Hawaii - I like Brian's falsetto and the way the track chugs along. Mike sounds like Dennis.
4. The Surfer Moon (Mono Version!) - Stereo version is partially rechanneled. Nice blend of Brians.
5. Little Deuce Coupe - Classic, their best car song up to this point. Clever Mike lyrics.
6. Your Summer Dream - Bit of a rehash but very pretty and serene.
7. Catch A Wave
8. Our Car Club - Some very inventive changes here.
9. Surfers Rule
10. South Bay Surfer
11. Boogie Woodie
12. The Rocking Surfer
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:07:09 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:02:37 AM »

1. Surfer Girl
2. In My Room - The first two are really close but "Surfer Girl" gets the top spot, at least at the moment
3. Catch A Wave - Great song with a great hook
4. Little Deuce Coupe - I liked it when I was young but later felt it was the worst of the Endless Summer tracks.  Now I'm back to liking it again.
5. Hawaii - The falsetto's a little shrill on this one but it's still a great tune
6. The Surfer Moon -The best of the weak tracks on the album.  To me, there's a drop in quality between those listed above to those from here down.
7. Boogie Woodie - Almost embarassingly simplistic compared to the rest of the album but I think this one has some real charm.
5. Your Summer Dream - Definitely getting into the weakest tracks but Brian's vocal puts this above the remaining ones.
9. Surfer's Rule - This and the next two don't do anything for me but certainly aren't dreadful.
10. Our Car Club
11. The Rocking Surfer
12. South Bay Surfer - This one is.  Especially compared to the rest of the album.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:00:01 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »

1. In My Room - Absolutely Gorgeous
2. Surfer Girl
3. Catch A Wave - Great Track, and better than Sidewalk Surfin'
4. Hawaii
5. Your Summer Dream
6. Little Deuce Coupe
7. Our Car Club - Love The Horn Arrangement
8. Surfer's Rule
9. The Surfer Moon
10. Boogie Woodie
11. The Rocking Surfer
12. South Bay Surfer
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »

1.  Surfer Girl
2.  In My Room
3.  Little Deuce Coupe
4.  The Surfer Moon
5.  Catch a Wave
6.  Our Car Club
7.  Your Summer Dream
8.  Hawaii
9.  Surfers Rule
10.  Boogie Woodie
11. The Rocking Surfer
12.  South Bay Surfer
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:10:28 PM »

1. In My Room
2. Surfer Girl
3. Catch a Wave
4. Your Summer Dream
5. Little Deuce Coupe
6. The Surfer Moon
7. Our Car Club
8. Hawaii
9. Surfers Rule
10. Boogie Woodie
11. The Rocking Surfer
12. South Bay Surfer
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:15:06 PM by TheDumbAngel » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »

The Surfer Moon
Surfer Girl
In My Room
Little Deuce Coupe
Our Car Club
Catch A Wave
Your Summer Dream
Hawaii

Surfers Rule

The Rocking Surfer
Boogie Woodie
South Bay Surfer

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »

Surfer Girl
In My Room
Your Summer Dream
The Surfer Moon
Hawaii
Catch A Wave
Little Deuce Coupe

Our Car Club
Surfer's Rule

Boogie Woodie
The Rocking Surfer
South Bay Surfer

The first 7 tracks are definitely among the best early Beach Boys songs.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:49:43 PM by Sail On, Brian » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 05:40:06 PM »

Your Summer Dream - One of the most beautiful pre Pet Sounds songs.
Catch a Wave - My favorite song they did about surfing. Well produced.
The Rocking Surfer - Great instrumental, organ based instead of guitar.
Surfer Girl - Classic, I like the tune better then In My Room
In My Room - Classic, I like the lyrics better then Surfer Girl
Our Car Club - Groovin
Surfer Moon - Beautiful tune
Boogie Woodie - A nice instrumental
Little Douce Coupe - Meh
Hawaii - Meh
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:18:56 AM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 05:59:40 PM »

I told myself this would be easier with albums that I liked more, but nop, not possible. I can almost never make lists like this, in fact.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »

1. In My Room
2. Your Summer Dream
3. Surfer Girl
4. The Surfer Moon
5. Catch A Wave
6. Our Car Club
7. Little Deuce Coupe
8. Hawaii
9. The Rocking Surfer

10. Surfers Rule
11. South Bay Surfer
12. Boogie Woodie

A significant stepup from the first two albums IMO.  This and All Summer Long comprise the most consistent works of their early years IMO (what I'd consider to be 1961-1964).  The vocals continute to get stronger and most of the songs are quite strong and well-realized.
MBE
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »

The best songs here have a lushness missing from the earlier stuff. The worst simply don't have much substance. I like Surfin USA better as an LP but there is plenty of progress being made. I find the instrumentals here far weaker than on the last LP and I think South Bay Surfer is simply silly.
1. In My Room
2. Catch A Wave
3. Our Car Club
4. Little Deuce Coupe
5. Surfer Girl
6. Hawaii
7. The Surfer Moon
8. Your Summer Dream
9. Surfers Rule
10. Boogie Woodie
11. The Rocking Surfer
12. South Bay Surfer

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 08:55:12 PM »

I love this album.

1. Surfer Girl
2. In My Room
3. Catch A Wave
4. Little Deuce Coupe
5. Your Summer Dream
6. Surfer's Rule
7. Our Car Club
8. Hawaii
9. The Surfer Moon
10. The Rocking Surfer
11. Boogie Woodie
12. South Bay Surfer
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 09:46:22 PM »

I love this album.

Me too, man. This was NOT easy!

1. Your Summer Dream - In my top 10. Great atmosphere. Beautiful chord changes and melody and lyrics.
2. In My Room - One of BW's best song ideas in his whole career.
3. Surfer Moon - Lovely lyrics and vocals.
4. Hawaii - Pretty kick ass.
5. Catch A Wave - Cool hook and trade-off between Brian and Mike.
6. Our Car Club - Fuckin awesome drums and bass groove.
7. Surfer Girl - A classic of course. But also a less than thrilling composition, really.
8. Little Deuce Coupe - Same as 7.
9. Surfer's Rule - Kick ass in the same way that "Catch A Wave" is. Love the hook and the fade.
10. South Bay Surfer - A jacked melody, but a fun track.
11. The Rocking Surfer - The instrumentals are an improvement over previous album, as somebody said. They're starting to get more to my taste.
12. Boogie Woodie - Lowest rated, but I still dig it.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 10:43:37 PM »

Little Deuce Coupe - Piano and treble up guitars make for a fine combination. Is that Mr. Al Jardine on bass?

Al wasn't on the single session for Surfer Girl/LDC...he is on some of the Surfer Girl album tracks. Brian plays bass (and piano) on the track LDC.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 01:14:07 AM »

Six utter classics:

1. In My Room- interestingly, chosen by John Cale as one of his Desert Island Discs
2. Little Deuce Coupe- one of the best Beach Boys singles, for reasons I can't explain. Breezy.
3. Catch A Wave- excellent harp work. Could be a different band from the previous album.
4. Surfer Moon- Brian would have held his own in the twenties and thirties.
5. Surfer Girl- loses points for a faint hint of sentimentality
6. Hawaii- Poor Mike, full of cold, no wonder he wanted to go straight to Hawaii.

Four really great non-classics:

7. Our Car Club. Fascinating. Did this kind of thing really happen? Oh, good playin' too.
8. Your Summer Dream. Too easy to take tracks like this for granted
9. It's a genuine fact that Surfers Rule is the 9th best song on the album.
10. Boogie Woodie- really shows off Brian's versatility. This really is an amazing album.

Then there's
11. The Rocking Surfer- not an especially rockin' track
12. South Bay Surfer- the album's only dud, the album's only borrowed tune (I think).

Please delete my account
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 05:51:24 AM »

I told myself this would be easier with albums that I liked more, but nop, not possible. I can almost never make lists like this, in fact.

You can do it!
I always feel dirty, and ashamed, and I usually can't sleep that night, but it's possible!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »

1. In My Room - The song that started everything for me. Brian often says Surfer Girl's the most spiritual song he ever wrote, clearly he hasn't heard In My Room  Grin
2. Surfer Girl - Absolutely gorgeous. Because of this song, I discard all of my little song recordings and whatnot as not being "real songs" because I hold onto this crazy notion of hope in my head that it's possible to have your first song be a masterpiece. Yeah right LOL
3. Catch a Wave - Does the harp work without a hitch? I can't say it does, but there's a wide eyed ambition and enthusiasm behind this track that I soak up and bathe in (it makes me smell like a grade-a piece of raw kick-ass (don't ask me what raw kick-ass smells like)).
4. The Surfer Moon - Pretty lead vox, nice strings even though the arrangement is less Brian Wilson and more Dick Reynolds, but hay, it's growth, I dig it, hakuna matata.
5. Little Deuce Coupe - I GOT THE PINK-SLIP DADDY is the hook of the century.
7. Our Car Club - Dat rhythm, dat syncopation, dat ass little bit of feedback at 1:41 makes me laugh cos I imagine it being a lame sound effect for a car zipping off in a Disney movie or something, I wouldn't trade it for a clean version though, 's'all part of the charm y'know.
6. Your Summer Dream - On any other album I'd like this a lot, but there's one classic oldies ballad too many here on Surfer Girl, and while the other three have a lot of character, this kinda blends into the background a bit. Kinda reminds me of Keep An Eye on Summer... I think I like this one more, but idk, imo, jsyk, afk etc.
9. Surfer's Rule - Big and dumb, but I like big and dumb sometimes.
8. Hawaii - Not much gusto for this one. I like it enough, it's got its hooks, but the vocals are really rough, even Brian's's's's's.
10. The Rocking Surfer - I'm usually not a mono purist, but holy hell, this comparatively slays when it's not in stereo. I like it over a lot of the other instrumentals from the early era, largely due to the prominence of the organ which makes it an interesting rarity.
11. Boogie Woodie - HAHAHAHAHAHA, HOLY HELL, ~THE THE GREATEST PLAY ON WORDS EVER~.
12. South Bay Surfer - I like this one when I speed it up 250% and listen to it Alvin and the Chipmunks style.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »

Surfer Girl
Catch a Wave
In My Room
Hawaii
The Surfer Moon
Little Deuce Coupe
The Rocking Surfer

Your Summer Dream
South Bay Surfer

Our Car Club
Surfers Rule
Boogie Woodie

Probably my favorite album from the early days!
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 10:08:28 AM »

Surfer Girl is currently in my list of top 5 favorite Beach Boys albums.

1. Surfer Girl - I listen to this track more than any other song from this album. Brian's beautiful lead vocal and soaring falsetto really takes this wonderful melody to another level.
2. In My Room - I love this track just as much as any other, but most of the time I find myself wanting to listen to this track when I'm in a certain mood.
3. Catch a Wave - The rocking energy of this track makes it my favorite "surf rock" track that the Beach Boys ever did (at least what I consider to be surf rock. A lot of people define it differently)
4. Little Deuce Coupe - One of the Boys' greatest car songs. I'd rank Fun Fun Fun and I Get Around higher, but this one is up there too.
5. The Surfer Moon - Wonderful melody and production.
6. Hawaii - I'm not crazy about the lyrics, but it rocks.
7. Your Summer Dream - A whimsical track, I like the lyrics a lot
8. The Rocking Surfer - A neat little instrumental, but it's nothing too special.
9. Boogie Woodie - See number 8.
10. Surfers Rule - I like hearing the Beach Boys taunt the Four Seasons at the end of this track.
11. South Bay Surfer - eh.
12. Our Car Club - not one of my favorite car tunes, but it's passable on this album.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »

I find it hard to do these rank the tracks lists. All I'll say is that it always amazes me how it took me so long to recognize how remarkable Your Summer Dream is. Most of this album is great, though.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »

I find it hard to do these rank the tracks lists. All I'll say is that it always amazes me how it took me so long to recognize how remarkable Your Summer Dream is. Most of this album is great, though.

That song is incredible!

- Dr. Seuss
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »

A+
1. Catch A Wave - one of the most joyful of the earlier songs, the chord change to F major in the chorus is my favorite compositional moment on the record
2. In My Room - iconic and timeless - the pinnacle of the BW/GU songs. Whereas the Safari songs are merely juvenile (albeit loved, HUGELY, by me), this one is child prodigy kind of stuff

A
3. Surfer Girl - they say the first idea is often the best - no broken rules here, just traditional doo-wop chord progressions with gorgeous vocals painting a picture of teenage vulnerability

A-
4. Hawaii - Mike Love with a cold rocks this one - like Catch A Wave, this hits me with the unbridled enthusiasm that you have only when you're young

B
5. The Surfer Moon - another one with a traditional chord progression heightened by a great string arrangement
6. Little Deuce Coupe - one of the best of the competitive songs, but not as brash or as energetic as 'Shut Down'

B-
7. Surfers Rule - brilliant under-appreciated tune - the sudden reprise of the acapella bit is exhilarating - would be a B+ if they hadn't misused the apostrophe
8. Your Summer Dream – this has always been ho-hum for me – the instrumental track is plain and the album already has two solid doo-wop progression songs – but I love the bridge

C
9. The Rocking Surfer – I have a huge soft spot for this one – the ice cream truck jauntiness just feels perfect – but my conscience tells me not to rank it higher

C-
10. Our Car Club – yeah, so the arrangement is kind of neat, but it’s not THAT neat – this one has a good competitive lyric but never excites me – would have made a better Honeys tune
111. Boogie Woodie – perfectly fun and competent instrumental – good not great

D
12. South Bay Surfer – hate this one – the Honeys’ one is so much better – the BBs version is sung in unison, which always stuck out like a sore thumb to me – boring and incomplete

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »

I can't explain why but I like the drum intro to "South Bay Surfer" even though it's not really interesting or difficult or whatever. I'm sorry?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx