gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680845 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 10:48:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and Dennis's late '70s vocals  (Read 8057 times)
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »

In the past year or so I've been increasingly drawn to the rough vocals of Brian and Dennis in the latter half of the '70s. Not just how drastically they changed from their pure "choir boy" '60s recordings, but how real and soulful they sound. Songs like Baby Blue, Love is a Woman, Solar System, Angel Come Home, My Diane, In the Still of the Night, Just Once in My Life and many others (especially from POB) have this excellent late '70s world-weary tone to them in the lead vocals that sometimes actually attracts me more than their "better days".

I feel when a singer spends so much of their youth training and refining their voice to near-perfection, very interesting sounds can come out as their throats become weathered and worn. The feeling in the uniquely gravelly voices on I'll Bet He's Nice and I Wanna Pick You Up is nearly just as difficult to replicate as anything they cut in 1965. I often hear people saying Love You would've been a great album if Brian and Denny's voices weren't shot, but I personally think it's one of the main attractions to the record. I'd like to see who else here finds themselves appreciating these gruff vocals just as much as the heavenly voices on the '60s slabs. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:08:06 PM by Waspinators » Logged
MBE
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 07:40:22 PM »

I don't like them post 1973-74 as much as before. Brian I think had trouble staying on pitch which bothers me more than the rasp. Something like Stevie or Matchpoint is cool where he sings on key but not cool in the way his voice was through the 1974 sessions.

Dennis made it work for him pretty well, but I always do find myself wishing he had recorded the vocals earlier. River Song is awsome as it was finished but that 1973-74 version where he does the first verse over an early finished track tells me he could have done more with it then.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:55:50 PM by Mike Eder » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »

I love the rough vocals. "LET'S GO mo'fos!!".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »

I think many of the Love You tracks would sound a bit jokey if they were sung in their angelic voices. Roughness gives the songs the emotion that keeps them being too fey. Same with arrangements, they are just right. Insane or not, Brian knew what he was doing musically.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
MBE
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »

I love the rough vocals. "LET'S GO MOTHERf***ERS!!".
OK that I do like.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:18:23 AM »

I love the rough vocals. "LET'S GO MOTHERf***ERS!!".
OK that I do like.

That Brian lost his pitch after 1974 is of huge annoyance. It's almost like he's been trolling the world given that we know he can sing very well when he wants to.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 12:52:48 AM »

Brian's heavy smoking teamed with excess weight, and the potential emphasis to deliberately make his vocals gritty is a concoction that would almost certainly result in poor breath control. For that reason, I don't think he "lost" his sense of pitch as much as it just became harder for him to "hit" a note as he wasn't used to the changes in his voice. It'd be like learning guitar on full sized instrument, but then suddenly out of nowhere, you're ordered to play a six string ukelele. His vocal takes on M.I.U and a few other cuts of this era show he can still sing on key.

The real development in Brian's pitch problems came about in '83, when Landy did whatever to him.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 07:06:46 AM »

Brian's part on "Roller Skating Child" is so great. It sounds like Brian ate gravel, smoked eight packs of cigarettes and underwent a tonsillectomy before singing that line. 

"Rooooooooooller skaaaaaaaating chiiiiiiiiiiiiiild!"
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:39:04 AM »

Brian's part on "Roller Skating Child" is so great. It sounds like Brian ate gravel, smoked eight packs of cigarettes and underwent a tonsillectomy before singing that line. 

Not to be disagreeable, but that ending Brian vocal part ruins what is almost a perfect song. "Roller Skating Child" could easily stand with Brian's earlier (1962-65) "fun" songs.

Brian and Dennis' late 70's vocals are fascinating but ultimately tragic. With the exception of Dennis' vocals on Pacific Ocean Blue, those raspy/hoarse/ sometimes unacceptable vocals keep the songs from reaching their potential. There are rare exceptions when they work, maybe "I Wanna Pick You Up" or "I'll Bet He's Nice", but, ultimately they are wince and cringe worthy.

While it seems like Brian's raspy/hoarse vocals lasted several years, if you just eliminated one year of vocals - the year 1976 - you wouldn't have any hoarse or raspy Brian vocals on record. Some flat, some off-key, and some shouty, but not the shocking, cocaine-damaged hoarseness. By 1977, that quality was mostly gone.
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 11:02:56 AM »

The decline of Dennis' voice is incredibly sad. I think he improved as a singer as he bloomed creatively and he had an incredibly powerful and soulful voice. His vocal ability improved as the seventies progressed whilst his range, tone and clarity seemed to decline. I think the group needed Dennis' lead vocals to add credibility to their work after Holland, whilst Mike's increasingly nasal tone can be almost embarrassing. I feel the same about his work in general in this era, they needed him more than they realized and failed to capitalize on an a fantastic opportunity to move forward creatively without Brian. As a good example of this, the rest of the boys contributed some appalling songs to the aborted Christmas album, whilst Dennis had the incredibly beautiful 'Morning Christmas', which could have been a Christmas classic in other circumstances.

Dennis became a fantastic singer in his own right during the seventies, with great power and feeling in his delivery. I enjoy his gritty mid-late 70's voice as much as the earlier softer vocal work. His voice became drier and raspier as the seventies wore on, but the warmth and light still shone through. At some point, that warmth and light began to fade away and almost disappears into the 80's leaving only the rasp behind. I'm only judging that on the limited footage available but there's not much to suggest otherwise. I wish the group had used his voice more on lead duties through the late 70's.

I would say that the because Carl retained such a strong and clear voice through this period that the Wilson trio sound fantastic together on record.

I feel a bit different about Brian's voice, given that he was an outstanding singer from the very beginning of the Beach Boys. As his voice changed in the seventies, I do miss the range, clarity and accuracy but still enjoy his vocals. His 70's voice had great soul and a lovely vibrato at times, but he did have pitch issues and some of the vocal work is lazy, in a way that Dennis' rarely is. I think Brian's vocal work would have been far better with his newer voice if his quality control had been higher. Some of the final vocals on 15 Big Ones are crying out for another take. Maybe Brian couldn't do better, but maybe he didn't care enough to improve them. I believe that Brian put a huge amount of effort into developing his vocals in his younger days and if he'd done the same in the 70's, he might have had more control over his 70's voice. With Dennis, I think the major improvements in his singing came later, yet his increasingly damaged voice brought an early end to his promising vocal work. With Brian, there's more of a loss as his voice changed but still some positive changes on the back of it.

I'm more saddened by the changes to Brian's voice that came later. It's strange that his voice changed so much between different eras. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'd identify different eras as the same singer, but then there'd be the odd line where you can hear a Brian from a different era. It's probably for a different thread, but Mike's late 70's vocals also took a turn for the worse in my opinion. Where did the 'Big Sur' voice go? His TWGMTR vocals are better than some of his late 70's work.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »

Agreed.

For me, Brian's voice didn't really go downhill to the extent that I really disliked it until the mid-90s, but it quickly recovered on Imagination to the present. Dennis always had a really cool voice, before and after the change.

The mid/late 70s vocals from both of these guys are great. Brian's vocals on 15 Big Ones and Love You are really unique and have a ton of personality, and I'm not hearing that much in the way of loss of control over pitch compared to before.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb with the minority vote here, but I think Dennis actually became a better singer after his voice changed. There are some songs, like It's Trying To Say, that could have benefited from a few more takes, but for the most part I feel that Dennis's "new voice" added a depth to the songs that made them what they were. Songs like It's Not To Late might not have sounded as good if Dennis had his sweet "clean voice". His worn out and broken voice gave it that extra edge. Roger Daltrey is always talking about how it doesn't really matter if you can hit the note, as long as the passion and hard work is there. "Give me a bum note and a bead of sweat any day".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »

Re: Dennis, I love his late-60s voice as much as anyone (especially on "Slip on Through", which is absolutely spectacular!) and still I think he did some of his most soulful singing on the Light Album.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 01:06:14 PM »

I think Brian's and Dennis's 1976-77 vocals fall in the "a voice only a mother - and a Beach Boys' diehard - could love" category. Let's face it, most of us love everything the guys did, even the questionable performances. We also have an emotional attachment because we know the behind the scenes stuff. We know the story and I think that affects our perspective.

I don't think the average fan is as open-minded or loyal or understanding. I am sure a large majority who heard the 15 Big Ones, Love You, and L.A. Light Album went "WTF. Is this the Beach Boys?"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 03:13:52 PM »

I'm going to catch hell, but...

Brian's 70s vocals are my favorite. Obviously 1970-1974 is my favorite, but 75-78 is my second. For different reasons, obviously. See, the thing a lot of people don't realize is some of his vocals were put on. It was a combination of not caring, and also as a tragic case of self-immolation. 'Oh, you want me outta bed and off drugs, and won't leave me the hell alone?! Well, here, you f***ers...have THIS'.  There was damage to his voice, true, but it wasn't that bad...yet. When he put forth effort, like on 'You've lost that loving feeling', he sounded great.  On this cut, and on the later 'That Special Feeling', he sounds like his young self with a cold. If he had cleaned up, he would've sounded close to his vocals from earlier in the decade.  Late 78-early 1979 is the true point of no return.

He had traces of his later voice previously, most notably on some of his backups on the American Spring release, the intro on 'California' , and on 'He Come Down'. In each case, he was using the vocal style he would employ later on, but obviously his vocal cords were in better shape.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:17:42 PM by My Little Cthulhu » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 09:20:30 PM »

I'm with the Sheriff on this one.  I LOVE me some "scratchy" vocalists (Peter Criss, Bob Seger, Don Henley at his best "velvet wrapped sandpaper") but in the case of the late 70's voices of Brian and Dennis, they're not scratchy or textured or whatever other complimentary adjectives are being tossed are.  They're DAMAGED and again, as he said, I think most people here only like them because we know all the behind the scenes stuff of their trials and tribulations and who they are in general.  Which is fine but come on people.  Call a spade a spade.  I also like "I'll Bet He's Nice" and some of the others from that era but to me, those are definite exceptions.  In most cases, I feel sorry for the guys when I hear them croaking out something that used to come so easy to them.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 09:33:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS_uO7hVOn8

LET'S GO mo'fos!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 10:29:20 PM »

Even when I didn't know as much about the group as I do now, I still liked their '70s voices. Sometimes more than their '60s voices too. So there!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 01:20:18 AM »

Even when I didn't know as much about the group as I do now, I still liked their '70s voices. Sometimes more than their '60s voices too. So there!

Same here! I wouldn't even disagree about their voices sounding damaged instead of just raspy but personally I don't mind, I still like them a lot, especially on Love You and the Light Album.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 01:33:30 AM »

I'm with the Sheriff on this one.  I LOVE me some "scratchy" vocalists (Peter Criss, Bob Seger, Don Henley at his best "velvet wrapped sandpaper") but in the case of the late 70's voices of Brian and Dennis, they're not scratchy or textured or whatever other complimentary adjectives are being tossed are.  They're DAMAGED and again, as he said, I think most people here only like them because we know all the behind the scenes stuff of their trials and tribulations and who they are in general.  Which is fine but come on people.  Call a spade a spade.  I also like "I'll Bet He's Nice" and some of the others from that era but to me, those are definite exceptions.  In most cases, I feel sorry for the guys when I hear them croaking out something that used to come so easy to them.

I tend to agree. Their voices would have become more 'male' anyway, so to speak. I hear rivers of booze and tons of coke in the later voices of Brian and Dennis. That is simply sad, not something to get very enthusiastic about because it supposedly is 'cool', which it is not IMHO.

Oh, and: Tom Waits.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »

I do not believe for a moment that any song on Love You, Pacific Ocean Blue, or even 15 Big Ones -- let alone the worthwhile stuff from 1978 onwards -- would be improved if they had the voices of '60s Brian and Dennis. In fact, I think they'd be worse! The "find a ride" tag of "It's OK", "I'll Bet He's Nice", "Mona", "What's Wrong", "Love Surrounds Me", "My Diane", etc.... I wouldn't trade those vocals for anything, and although it's certainly sad that the voices of these men ended up as they did by way of (in part) excessive drug use, they still knew how to use them expertly. As others here have pointed out: When Brian needed a sweeter voice -- and when he himself didn't want to bother with one, which he could still pull off (even if it may not have been as rich as even three years previous) as we also know -- he'd deploy Carl or Mike ("The Night Was So Young" or "Airplane").
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 10:01:25 AM »

I do not believe for a moment that any song on Love You, Pacific Ocean Blue, or even 15 Big Ones -- let alone the worthwhile stuff from 1978 onwards -- would be improved if they had the voices of '60s Brian and Dennis. In fact, I think they'd be worse! The "find a ride" tag of "It's OK", "I'll Bet He's Nice", "Mona", "What's Wrong", "Love Surrounds Me", "My Diane", etc.... I wouldn't trade those vocals for anything, and although it's certainly sad that the voices of these men ended up as they did by way of (in part) excessive drug use, they still knew how to use them expertly. As others here have pointed out: When Brian needed a sweeter voice -- and when he himself didn't want to bother with one, which he could still pull off (even if it may not have been as rich as even three years previous) as we also know -- he'd deploy Carl or Mike ("The Night Was So Young" or "Airplane").

"River Song" is one that I can never hear with a clear voice, for me it has to be Dennis' raspy lead or nothing, as others have mentioned, it sounded more soulful.
Not a standout by any means but I think "That Same Song" was saved by Brian's gravelly lead too.
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 04:13:46 PM »

"I Love To Pick You Up" and "Back Home" aren't that bad with the weathered vocals.  However I can't think of any other BB song from that time where I prefer that sound to their mid-60's vocals, especially Brian.  Overall the damage of Brian's voice is one of the saddest parts of the BB story, to me anyway.  The rougher sound worked far better for Dennis than it did for Brian.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »

As others here have pointed out: When Brian needed a sweeter voice -- and when he himself didn't want to bother with one, which he could still pull off (even if it may not have been as rich as even three years previous) as we also know -- he'd deploy Carl or Mike ("The Night Was So Young" or "Airplane").

Exactly. I can't remember who said it here, but someone speculated that if Brian's voice had held up, he would've just had Dennis sing the majority of Love You. Because that's the sound he wanted.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »

I tend to agree. Their voices would have become more 'male' anyway, so to speak. I hear rivers of booze and tons of coke in the later voices of Brian and Dennis. That is simply sad, not something to get very enthusiastic about because it supposedly is 'cool', which it is not IMHO.

Oh, and: Tom Waits.

Yeah, in light of what happened its quite sad. It's the sound of their degeneration, ultimately. And that also applies to Carl's vocals from the period.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx