gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 01:19:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Friends - 60 (69%)
20/20 - 27 (31%)
Total Voters: 78

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #14: Friends vs. 20/20  (Read 14048 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »

No contest for me - Friends hands down. I play 20/20 less than any album between Little Deuce Coupe & 15 Big Ones. It obviously has incredible material but the flow just puts me off. The 20/20 sessions produced some of their strongest mid period material too (much of it outtakes) which makes it even more frustrating that a better album wasn't cobbled together. Just my take - I know a lot of people love it.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »

Two of my all-time favourite albums on one CD. Tough choice, but 20/20 wins. Cotton Fields, I Went To Sleep, Time To Get Alone... Well, it's not that tough decision, now that I think about it.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
G.C
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »

Friends!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 01:14:04 PM »

20/20 for me. Firstly because it's one of only two Beach Boys LPs I got from a charity shop (The other being 'Keepin' the Summer Alive'), and secondly because it has Cabinessence AND Our Prayer on it. Then you have I Can hear Music, All I Want To Do, Time To Get Alone - How is this not one of their best!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »

I'm always suprised how conflicted I get re the twofer polls - for me, there's often only a cut or two's difference between albums, especially on the great Smiley Smile to Holland run.

But despite great Dennis/SteveK/Charlie M cuts; Carl's magical I can hear music; and the gifts of Time to get alone & Do it again
I'm goin' Friends - really mellow stuff, uniquely presented and distinctly BB.

I even dig TM, the last brace of horns sounds fat when cranked (speakers not cans)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »

Friends 'til the end!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »

Friends all the way!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »

I guess I have no Friends then Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 01:25:53 PM »

Then you have I Can hear Music, All I Want To Do, Time To Get Alone - How is this not one of their best!

Sorry, couldn't resist! Horses for courses though but that song really drags the album down for me.

The majority of the other material is first rate though, agreed. It's like a prototype for Sunflower but whereas the latter results in a showcase of individual members' talents within a unified whole, 20/20 just feels like a hodge-podge to me. I've heard the argument that Desper's conspicuous production on Sunflower plays a large part in tying the album together but I'm not convinced. Beyond the gloss of Desper's production, the songs themselves feel related in structure and tone. Sure, not every album has to be unified but it is something I enjoy and Friends definitely succeeds as a unified whole.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:28:07 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »

Friends. It stands alone in The Beach Boys catalog - this is the album to chill by.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Junebug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »

Friends. In terms of the music it's close, but it has a better cover !
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »

20/20 - Hands down!

As I've said many times, I put 20/20 WAY over Friends, Wild Honey, and Smiley Smile because I'd rather have a disjointed collection of good, radio ready songs any day over a cohesive collection of stripped bare, seemingly unfinished demos.  And while it doesn't pertain to Friends, the other two albums make the situation worse by including the fully produced singles, right next to the bare stuff.  Again, I understand the whole "music for Brian to cool out to" thing and it does work for many of the songs but I think it went on for way too long and also just prefer 20/20 more.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »

Another vote for 20/20.....

I just can't get into FRIENDS, I know it's got a much better flow than 20/20, but I get bored after Wake the World.  Nothing after that is a standout for me. 

20/20 has a very strong lead-off (and yes, I'm one in the minority here that actually likes Bluebirds, quirky as it is).  The continuity, IMO, starts to suffer right around All I Want to do (which I'm not overly crazy about), leading to Faraway Place, and then Cotton Fields.  It's like all over the place, at that point.  But then I Went to Sleep restores some sanity, paving the way for Time to Get a Loan  Smiley and Never Learn Not to Love. 

I have to admit, like someone else mentioned, FRIENDS has an excellent cover (front and back), probably my favorite of the BB Lp covers.  20/20 looks very low budget to me, from the uninspired group photo, to the pointless black frame and cheap looking title font.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »

Friends.

It's like the grown-up version of Pet Sounds - you're all grown up with kids and a house, you've found love, now off to find the meaning of life.

20/20 has AMAZING songs on it (am I the only one who thinks that 'Be With Me' is one of the best Beach Boys songs?), but like others I just can't get into the flow of that album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »

Friends without question... but it's also in my top 5 albums of all-time.

I don't see how anyone can prefer 20/20 but to each their own. Friends is such a personal statement from Brian, so charming and quirky. I think it's more "Brian" than even Pet Sounds.

20/20 is almost the complete opposite. Brian has almost completely withdrawn, and the Boys are left trying to fill the void with an album that is just all over the place. Bluebirds is totally uncharacteristic and doesn't work. I've never really liked I Can Hear Music as a composition and isn't it the first Beach Boys recording that Brian had absolutely no participation in? Do It Again is the first of many attempts at nostalgia and looking backward instead of forward. I Went To Sleep sounds like a Friends outtake. Time To Get Alone is one of my favorites, but let's face it... Brian didn't intend it to be a Beach Boys song. Cabinessence and Prayer are amazing of course, but they are just thrown on the end of the album and really don't fit. The inclusion of a Charles Manson song is probably the most depressing thing about 20/20. The album is disjointed and an omen of things to come.

Friends is such a special happy record, and I think its failure in the charts and the band's desire to take the reins and move out of Brian's shadow did more to damage his ambition and creativity than the collapse of SMiLE. Mike still talks about how unpopular Friends was and how out-of-step Brian was for releasing a waltz for a single.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »

Friends.

It's like the grown-up version of Pet Sounds - you're all grown up with kids and a house, you've found love, now off to find the meaning of life.

20/20 has AMAZING songs on it (am I the only one who thinks that 'Be With Me' is one of the best Beach Boys songs?), but like others I just can't get into the flow of that album.

I'm not sure I think Be With Me is one of the best Beach Boys songs, but it is certainly one of the finest Beach Boys productions. Just a massive wall of sound, slathered in everything to great effect. Listening to that track on a high quality system (speakers)....it's like you're living inside of it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »

Friends.

I'm not sure I think Be With Me is one of the best Beach Boys songs, but it is certainly one of the finest Beach Boys productions. Just a massive wall of sound, slathered in everything to great effect. Listening to that track on a high quality system (speakers)....it's like you're living inside of it.

Right!? It's incredible the way it grabs you. The lyrics, though simple, paint such a vivid picture coupled with that instrumentation. Sadly, I'm pretty sure I disliked this song the first few times I heard it, but now I can't stop listening to it.

It's certainly in my top 40 BB songs list.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »

I vote for FRIENDS. It's in my top 2 favorite Beach Boy albums.

Now, I adore 20/20. I actually think it's a more exciting album. I've always agreed with the assessment that it's a hodgepodge, but I think that's what gives it its unpredictability and a mania about it that keeps it fascinating, engaging.

But FRIENDS has -- and I hope this isn't too off-puttingly dramatic -- spirituality in the design of the songs and can alter my mood and outlook, the power to transform my day. And if we don't want to go as far as invoke spirituality, the songs are just so damn light, innocent, and profoundly fun all at once. Listening to FRIENDS is like going to yoga and then getting a gyro and an iced tea.

Okay, enough sensationalist affection and cute metaphors. "Be Here In The Morning" is in my top 10 Beach Boys songs. "Wake the World" and "Busy Doin' Nothin'" are compositions that I am endlessly fascinated by. The title track and "Passing By" make the case: this album, unbelievably, strokes a harmonic sweet spot that make for beds of instrumental and vocal tracks unlike anything else I've heard. And, obviously, it's primary composer has hit some harmonic sweet spots many times before and since this album. So the fact that it so effectively stands out really means something to me.

20/20 has one of my all time favorite Beach Boy tracks, "Time To Get Alone," and some other very high points. But it unfortunately hits a few too many potholes, "All I Want To Do" being the lowest. And I never liked that "Our Prayer" and "Cabinessence" were tacked on to the end as a save-our-ass measure. In contrast, FRIENDS has only one pothole, "Be Still," and even then the song still fits into the theme of the album. Like others have said, cohesiveness is part of what makes FRIENDS such a pleasure.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:40:06 PM by Manchini » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 09:52:12 PM »

20/20 by a thin margin...but only because it has Cottonfields and Never Learn Not to Love.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 11:01:25 PM »

It varies somedays. Friends is much more of a set mood. Brian is much more involved and Little Bird is one of Dennis' best. 20/20 though is cool for showing the diversity. Though Brian is less present, Time To Get Alone and Do It Again are two of his best songs, the Smile stuff is brilliant, and Dennis again comes up with the goods. Plus the musical personalties of Bruce and Al are made a lot clearer than before. This one is a toss up for me. 20/20 I play more, but Friends is more rewarding when I am in the right mood.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:34 PM »

As an album, Friends all the way. 20/20 has some great individual tracks, but it feels like stray tracks thrown together. The best BB's albums - Pet Sounds, Sunflower, Wild Honey, most of Smiley Smile - have a nice flow to them, they really do feel like "albums".
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 01:02:12 AM »

Have to go with Friends. I like 20/20 but it'd probably be my vote for worst sequenced album ever. Two waltzes next to one another? Be With Me's outro in the middle of side A? Our Prayer tacked on B5? If it were sequenced differently, perhaps I'd change my mind. Using the same tracks, I'd probably rearrange it to something like the following.

Our Prayer
Cotton Fields
Bluebirds Over the Mountain
Time to Get Alone
I Can Hear Music
Be With Me

Do it Again
Never Learn Not to Love
All I Want to Do
I Went to Sleep
The Nearest Faraway Place
Cabinessence
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:37:34 AM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 05:21:55 AM »

20/20 for me....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 05:57:04 AM »

I like the fact that the two waltzes are next to each other. They form "an oasis of calm", so to speak. Sometimes it's good to maintain the same mood for a while.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 06:34:25 AM »

20/20 for me . I Can Hear Music is one of my favorite Carl songs. DIA is also a favorite. Al is very good on Cottonfields. Time To Get Alone is a gem and then 2 songs from Smile in Our Prayer and Cabinessence. Not to mention a few contributions from Dennis plus Bruce's instrumental. Perhaps the sequencing could have been better but all in all a solid post Pet Sounds/Smile album and effort.
Not taking anything away from Friends, which has a different vibe and which I also enjoy, but if forced to select between the two, I make my selection without any hindsight.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx