gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681460 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 12:40:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys on "Best Ever Albums"  (Read 6393 times)
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »

This website: http://www.besteveralbums.com/ gets people to compile lists of their favourite albums and rate their favourite songs etc. and subsequently assigns a grading to each rating to rank albums and artists. Criminally, large portions of band's catalogue are sorely neglected with even Pet Sounds falling a stones throw outside of the top ten.

Do any fans here want to compile a "greatest albums" list and help give the band's other albums the exposure/ranking gains they deserve? The site generates quite a bit of traffic and I think it'd help a lot of people not be so dismissive of some great music... so yeah! ^_^

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:19:26 PM »

No one can have complete knowledge og all music out there and will always have an opinion according to their taste. These lists are crappy, especially when they rank them. Better to take them as a 'what albums could be worth checking out' list. imo
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 11:30:12 PM »

No one can have complete knowledge og all music out there and will always have an opinion according to their taste. These lists are crappy, especially when they rank them. Better to take them as a 'what albums could be worth checking out' list. imo

Well yeah, they even admit on the front page that everyone's tastes differ etc. But the fact o' the matter is, many people, including myself use sites like these to scout around and listen to new music and as it stands, stuff like Sunflower, Surf's Up, Today! etc. would barely scrape by the  "what albums could be worth checking out" radar which is unfortunate. Since we are free to add our own opinions onto the site, why not do so? Half of the neglect these albums receive is largely due to poor reporting and critical hyperbole, so I like to think of our work here as an effort to restore the justice  police

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 09:27:57 AM »

The profusion of Radiohead albums in the top 20 demonstrates that this is a lost cause. While I like Radiohead, it just goes to show that this site's users are Pitchfork expatriates.  No sense in trying.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »

The profusion of Radiohead albums in the top 20 demonstrates that this is a lost cause. While I like Radiohead, it just goes to show that this site's users are Pitchfork expatriates.  No sense in trying.
I wish Radiohead would do more stuff like their first album for a change, pablo honey is awesome.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »

Try Acclaimed Music.  http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/  Best site out there for music ratings, as it combines a huge number of lists from whatever sites can be found, and merges them all together to form a comprehensive list.  It's basically an objective compilation of subjective ratings.

Pet Sounds is the No. 1 album all-time.  Two other Beach Boys albums make the top 1000, and ten total make the top 3000.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 12:00:01 AM »

I wish Radiohead would do more stuff like their first album for a change, pablo honey is awesome.

The first three albums are fantastic, I've yet to really sink my teeth into Radiohead from Kid-A onwards, that being said, I don't mind a bit of In Rainbows here and there.

Anyway, it's not a complete lost cause to have a stab at doing this imo, before today, Summer in Paradise ranked ahead of Holland, but recent charts created by you guys have helped right that wrong, so thanks to whoever likes Holland! Also, Today! is now probably one chart entry away from entering the top 1000, an important psychological milestone for many hipster douches out there. It's kinda fun to see the gains, it gives me the same kind of enjoyment I get when tracking a single I like on the charts.

"A/S/L"?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 02:51:46 AM »

Try Acclaimed Music.  http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/  Best site out there for music ratings, as it combines a huge number of lists from whatever sites can be found, and merges them all together to form a comprehensive list.  It's basically an objective compilation of subjective ratings.

Pet Sounds is the No. 1 album all-time.  Two other Beach Boys albums make the top 1000, and ten total make the top 3000.

even that one is full of lolz, like Abbey Road being in the top 20. Purely rediculous. So many Beatles circlejerkers out there.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:26:59 AM »

I had some spare time one afternoon. It was a fun exercise, kind of like Desert Island Discs. My list is there under user name pnreum.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 11:34:37 AM »

even that one is full of lolz, like Abbey Road being in the top 20. Purely rediculous. So many Beatles circlejerkers out there.

Velvet Underground, Sex Pistols and the Clash being in the top ten is a lot worse to me than Abbey Road making the top 20. Not to mention Public enemy and other acts like that being on there.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 11:44:58 AM »

Or could it be that people genuinely like the band? Or are you just suspicious of the merits of anything that happens to be popular?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 04:07:34 PM »

Velvet Underground, Sex Pistols and the Clash being in the top ten is a lot worse to me than Abbey Road making the top 20. Not to mention Public enemy and other acts like that being on there.
Are you high?Huh? The Velvets and tbe Clash were great.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »

I completely disagree. Kid A and Amnesiac are my two favorite Radiohead albums. I honestly can't stand Pablo Honey. The Bends has a few decent songs. Ok Computer is solid. To me, Radiohead is the most creative band around today.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »

I completely disagree. Kid A and Amnesiac are my two favorite Radiohead albums. I honestly can't stand Pablo Honey. The Bends has a few decent songs. Ok Computer is solid. To me, Radiohead is the most creative band around today.

Blech. If it wasn't for your "You Can't Do That On Television" avatar, I would be feeling even worse.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »

Or could it be that people genuinely like the band? Or are you just suspicious of the merits of anything that happens to be popular?

The Beatles are great, they got many fantastic albums. Some of them are even deserving some 'top 20' title at the minimum. Abbey Road however is not one of those albums. It's a solid album by any account and a great way for them to close their show after Let It Be, but the album didn't reach the heights their previous albums had. just my opinion. but ranking Beatles albums isnt that easy so I don't mind the list. I'm just saying the list is pointless.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 06:33:25 AM »

It'd be cool to create some Beach Boys buzz before Made in California appears. This is an easy way to contribute so if you didn't do it the first time round, jump on board! Tweaking the list is actually quite addictive...  Cool Guy

"A/S/L"?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »

i only wish 10% of those who claim that pet sounds is the best album ever actually tried listening to another beach boys'album.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »

i only wish 10% of those who claim that pet sounds is the best album ever actually tried listening to another beach boys'album.

But all their previous albums were just stoopid surf albums and after PS Brian went crazy, left the group and the talent free others tried to make albums without him - this is Beach Boys 101.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »

but holland is likely clearly their greatest work ever so mature etc omg
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 05:52:37 PM »

+68330579832179906444

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »

Just registered, pretty disappointed that you have to have an actual numbered list instead of just a list. I'm pretty darn passionate about music, in fact it's about the only thing I really give a sh*t about, but I have zero idea how people can create giant album and song rankings, deciding they like this experience by this artist slightly more than that totally different experience by another artist.

Like, what makes #32 better than #33 to you? How does one figure such things out? I don't have one particular favorite album or, I guess, my favorite album or song is whatever I'm into at one particular moment. I probably love a few hundred albums, thousands of songs, but to rank them? Strange.

Music, albums, songs, they're feels and emotions and experiences. They're not a rigid, numbered list, it transcends that sort of thing.

sryz for the rant/if any of it sounded pretentious or anything, just disappointed as I thought this was pretty cool up until that point.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:17:09 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »

Don't let Billy hear you.

A discipline daddy.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 08:19:50 PM »

Don't let Billy hear you.

Sweet Billy?

"A/S/L"?
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »

Only 4 posts read and already this is turning out sad.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »

Are you high?Huh? The Velvets and tbe Clash were great.

Public Enemy is also one of the greatest rock n roll bands of all time!!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx