-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:23:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic discussion!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic discussion!  (Read 34963 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2012, 12:56:52 PM »

Because there must be more than two of us here....

So yeah, are there any fellow Bronies on here? Of course, I must ask the generic question - Best pony - but also why you too are part of such a great fandom (Obviously Beach boys aside  angel Wink)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:59:31 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 01:12:17 PM »

.... Brow

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »

.... Brow

Google is your friend

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:16:39 PM »

Friendship is magic...real life is tragic...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »

Friendship is magic...real life is tragic...

And with that I give up

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 01:20:28 PM »

Interviewer: What would you do in the tent?
Brian: Smoke marijuana, eat sandwiches, play My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic....you know, nothing unusual.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »

I was sitting in my 19th century German philosophy seminar and our professor came in and mentioned how she was sick and had been watching this show (it had only just started at that point) because it was recently rebooted and she had read it was unlike the other generations of MLP (i.e., very obviously meant for stereotypical "little girls" around age eight and whatnot; horrendous animation; ponies that... well, looked like actual horses, etc.). The response from the room was basically a collective look and she said "maybe it's just the cough syrup" and began talking about Fichte or whoever, haha. During that summer, I was very bored and so decided to check out the show as I recalled her mentioning it and... well, I had nothing better to do! I downloaded all of season one. I liked it well enough and kept on watching it but when episode 11, "Winter Wrap Up, came on and the song began I lost my sh*t! At that moment I knew I was without a doubt a brony, haha. The music is a huge benefit to the show, for sure, but even without that it would still be excellent. It's not that it isn't still a show for kids, rather that it doesn't talk down to kids and also includes elements of plot, humour, references to other media, that the show's target audience simply would not grasp (The Big Lebowski, for example). That the show's voice actors -- speaking and singing -- as well as its writers, producers, composer and arranger, storyboard artists, and so on both acknowledge and often actively engage with the brony community surely helps the longevity too. (Though obviously without these folks bringing their A game time and again bronies would have nothing to create a fandom around.)

Best pony is obviously Pinkie. She's irreverent but knows when to be serious too, and she has the best songs too! She's followed by Rarity (who has great songs too and is hilariously over-the-top) and Fluttershy. Worst mane six are Dash and Twilight, the former because her only character trait seems to be arrogance and the latter because she's a condescending know-it-all! (Though Twilight has a fantastic singing voice and gets great songs too.) Best CMC is Sweeite Belle and worst is Scootaloo since the latter does nothing but be a chicken while the former often has the zaniest schemes and... Sweetie Bot!

OK, I think I'm done now~
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »

That's more like it!

My story is a lot simpler than yours - a girl in our 'group' basically had been mentioning it a lot. One day I ask  what the best episode is, and she just tells me to watch the first one as it's a two-parter, and there is 'no best episode'. So I watch it. And enjoy it. A lot. Patten continues. This was only in about may of this year, but now Season 3 has started I feel a lot like I'm part of a developing community, rather than a nullified one.

Best pony? Always tempted to say Rainbow Dash, but I dislike the character In Show, but like the pony. Rarity on the other hand is the complete opposite - she probably had some of the best lines in the Season 3 première, but pinkie pie has some of the best moments...

On a side note, this can simply be used for new episode discussion as they air now! (Although I feel it will be a two sided conversation somewhat Grin)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:40:55 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »

No, I know what it is, it's just not something anyone should probably be proud of.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 01:46:07 PM »

Next topic...which is your favorite POPPLE~!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 01:58:26 PM »

You'd think for a forum dedicated to a band that, when they're mentioned to non-fans, most often generates knee-jerk reactions (whether negative, indifferent or coolly receptive) -- even when we knows things are a great deal more interesting and complicated than that -- its members would be hesitant to do the same to other fandoms.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 02:06:05 PM »

So you like watching a children's cartoon, do you want a medal or something?

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »

No, just that you be less wilfully obtuse. Consider that you may wish to actually watch some of the source material before taking such a dim view of it straightaway. It'd be like judging The Beach Boys solely on their late-'70s or '80s singles only.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:14:34 PM by Dr. Voldelabra » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »

Oh sorry, you're right, I shouldn't have used "children's cartoon", I should have used "masterpiece of high art"

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »

I watch cartoons. Of course I am both a dad and a massive Stoner

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »

I'm at least one of those too! Seriously, this show is especially great when you're baked~

edit: lulz

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:31:55 PM by Dr. Voldelabra » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »

I'm at least one of those too! Seriously, this show is especially great when you're baked~

edit: lulz

I can never see either of those the same way again o.O
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:35:26 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »

Interviewer: What would you do in the tent?
Brian: Smoke marijuana, eat sandwiches, play My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic....you know, nothing unusual.
LOL LOL LOL LOL, good one!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 03:27:36 PM »

what the f***

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 04:16:09 PM »

My Little Stormtrooper

My little Alien

My Little Predator

My Little Skeletor

My Little Edward Scissorhands
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:23:22 PM by My little Cthulhu » Logged

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 05:54:46 PM »

I've seen the first three or four episodes and I like it. the obsessive fandom is a bit much though, and it's probably what turned me off from getting more into the show.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 10:13:06 AM »

Yesterday's episode was great! I've come to really like Cutie Mark Crusaders episodes since they often feature a very good song -- in this case "Babs Seed", whose accompanying video (and sorta song too) gave me a real Scooby-Doo vibe for some reason -- and are exemplary slice-of-life episodes too, which the show excels at anyway. I thought Babs's voice was a bit all over the place though in terms of... whatever accent they were trying to go for, haha. This season is already making up for some of the drag towards the end of last season. There were also a lot of funny little moments too, like emergency edible boots and Pinkie's lettuce float with associated leafy-green puns...
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 10:35:22 AM »

Yesterday's episode was great! I've come to really like Cutie Mark Crusaders episodes since they often feature a very good song -- in this case "Babs Seed", whose accompanying video (and sorta song too) gave me a real Scooby-Doo vibe for some reason -- and are exemplary slice-of-life episodes too, which the show excels at anyway. I thought Babs's voice was a bit all over the place though in terms of... whatever accent they were trying to go for, haha. This season is already making up for some of the drag towards the end of last season. There were also a lot of funny little moments too, like emergency edible boots and Pinkie's lettuce float with associated leafy-green puns...

Yeah, felt perfect just right to me too - even managed the tough task of not feeling too short in the small time frame!

The song was also perfect to me - I love drumming to it! (Evidently, even if i do mess it up at points Embarrassed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHLdVHuPiY

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 06:33:35 AM »

WTF? There`s a MLP cult that exists beyond 8 year old girls?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 06:37:05 AM »

WTF? There`s a MLP cult that exists beyond 8 year old girls?
They are men in their 20s and are called bronies. 3D

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: