gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:12:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite unreleased Beach Boys/BW song  (Read 26861 times)
Jason
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2005, 07:50:33 PM »

There has to be a nicer way of putting it.

Ermmmm....Please read the fodaing rules? I dunno, this niceness business never sat well with me. I'm a Male Ego guy at heart, y'know.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2005, 08:02:02 PM »

My favorite few:

"Soulful Old Man Sunshine" of course, but it's such a no brainer I'm almost adverse to listing it.  Why?  Incredible jazzy harmonies, I especially like the way the bass vocals perfectly fill out the "soulfullll olllld mann SUN SHINNNE" part, you can hear the bass thump when they say "Sun".  I'm not sure if that's Mike being great, or an engineer being great, or both.

"Walk on By" partially because I like the original very much, and partially because Brian's falsetto is amazing on it.  It's kind of like the wild falsetto on "Do You Wanna Dance?" where it just comes out of nowhere, a couple octaves above the few lines before it.  "Do you Wanna Dance" is really jarring though (although it's good)... but the way he goes up into the falsetto on "Walk on by" is astonishing.

"Big Sur" early version.  It's just very beautiful, very well written, and I'm sure it's just because it's in a minor key, but the background vocals are so melancholy, it's an amazing song. 

"Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" this would be the later version, not the early early version on the box set.  I would imagine it was recorded around 69 or so.  I like it because it's basically a clinic on harmony.  It's not perfect (some flubbed notes) but it's great. 

I haven't heard all of the songs mentioned on this thread, but I believe these are the 4 best that i'm aware of. 
Jason
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2005, 08:02:51 PM »

My favorite few:
"Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" this would be the later version, not the early early version on the box set.  I would imagine it was recorded around 69 or so.  I like it because it's basically a clinic on harmony.  It's not perfect (some flubbed notes) but it's great. 

1967, Lei'd In Hawaii rehearsals.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2005, 08:10:14 PM »

Ahhhh.  Is that the same show where Brian's kind of showing them how to do Good Vibrations and where there's that beautiful version of God Only Knows with Brian singing the french horn part in the background?  And also were those recorded from the stage through the soundboard?  Or were they piecing together something? 
Jason
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2005, 08:12:27 PM »

Ahhhh.  Is that the same show where Brian's kind of showing them how to do Good Vibrations and where there's that beautiful version of God Only Knows with Brian singing the french horn part in the background?  And also were those recorded from the stage through the soundboard?  Or were they piecing together something? 

Well, there lies the tricky bit. Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring and Good Vibrations were indeed live recorded rehearsals in Hawaii. The version of God Only Knows dates from September 1967, recorded at Wally Heider Studios in LA. The group (with Bruce in tow) recorded several tracks that were presumably intended to be overdubbed with a crowd response. Nothing became of the project, and most of the results remain unreleased.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2006, 10:17:39 AM »

There has to be a nicer way of putting it.

Ermmmm....Please read the fodaing rules? I dunno, this niceness business never sat well with me. I'm a Male Ego guy at heart, y'know.

Unless you're a board moderator, why make it any of your business anyway?  Especially if you're going to be rude about it?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:19:42 AM by Glenn Greenberg » Logged

Glenn
Toby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »

Brian should record the song Rings. There's a tape of a performance going around that was merely Brian performing for an interviewer, and the song has a great melody. The lyrics are hard to hear, however.

THe song is not called "Rings". The real title is "Reins", hence the lyrics "reins around my neck".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2006, 03:01:41 PM »

it's not too late- one of dennis' gems, (what one isnt?) This should have been on LA
California Feeling- Beach Boys version is amazing

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2006, 05:19:33 PM »

California Feeling- Beach Boys version is amazing

Ever heard Brian's demo?
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2006, 08:56:17 AM »

Dennis' "Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again)" gets first vote - this is simply jaw-droppingly awesome.  "Companion" would be second...but it would be a distant second.  That's how good WIBN(TLA) is.
I have yet to hear "Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again)" ... but I believe you when you say it's awesome, if POB serves as an example.

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2006, 09:29:14 AM »

I haven't heard it but I would guess it sounds more like '4th of July' as it's from the same period.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2006, 09:35:48 AM »

I haven't heard it but I would guess it sounds more like '4th of July' as it's from the same period.

Ummmm... not really, mostly because it's a finished, mixed track with full bvs and harmonies ("4th Of July" was comped from a track, a saftey copy of the flute tag and I think two working vocals from Carl - if Mark cares to correct my almost certainly incorrect info, we'd all be grateful). Plus it's about 10 orders of magnitude better.

Actually,I should stop saying that - if it ever gets a release, you're all gonna go "That's what he was raving about ?"

But it is fucking awesome.  Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2006, 09:39:10 AM »

"Black Widow"  Among Brian's best not yet released...

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2006, 09:55:06 AM »

It is simply criminal that You're Still a Mystery is going to be consigned to the vaults.  That could have done for the BB what the other 90's comebacks did for other artists. Magnificent BB vocals far superior to anything they had done since the Ricky/Blondie days.

From released songs: Soulful Old Man Sunshine is in my top 20 BB tracks I think. 

BB version of River Song -- not possible to be released.  Denny worked and re-worked that song for up to 4 years, and taped over many tracks on the final multitrack tape.  What we have is a cassette dub from a period of time (circa 1974) of the work-in-progress as it stood then.  Much of what you heard was wiped later.  The cassette is all you get, I fear.  I wanted that for the longest time myself.
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2006, 10:42:50 AM »

I'm new. What is 'foda'?
Jason
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2006, 10:51:38 AM »

Foda is what you get when Mr. LePage's filter censors the word fu c k.
Evenreven
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2006, 09:56:33 AM »

I have only two words to say:
BASEBALL'S ON!!
smackdaddy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2006, 06:14:10 AM »

I realize I'm late to the game here, but Brian sitting on Can't Wait Too Long is a teeth-clenching musical crime far eclipsing any of Bob Dylan's nonreleases.  Actually, it's the sequel to Good Vibrations that Heroes and Villains wanted to be and it's got a nice groovy feel that H&V is too dorky to pull off.  It would have fit in real nice-like on Wild Honey.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx