gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:53:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys "Travesties" are.. 'To your taste?'  (Read 14327 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2012, 08:58:30 AM »

"Everyone's in Love With You" is one of my favourite Mike songs along with "sumahama", those are widely considered travesties, right?

From them I like the former. It rather amuses me that it's written about Maharishi. I mean, the song has such a beautiful music so you can't imagine it to be about one TM guru.
Think there's no need to explain why I'm not that fond of Sumahama.

You should explain , I have no idea why you don't like it  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2013, 02:11:02 AM »

Recently on the video site I found several unheard BBs songs which one can think of as travesties. From them I liked:
- Wish You Were Here In Hawaii (great b/g harmonies! The song itself is catchy enough, should be a tad longer)
- East Meets West (when heard that "tragic intro" going crescendo I thought I won't like the song. But luckily it's a rather joyful song. Frankie, Mike, Carl, Al = rollicking quartet trade-off!).

I'll also add "Tricia" (sans corny-sounding Hawaiian guitar solo);
Mike's "Over & Over" (maybe my most favorite cut from LBWL, good fun-and-innocence type of song), "Be My Baby", LBWL, "Calendar Girl", "Endless Summer Beach Band" (great r&r kind of song), "Almost Summer";

Brian's "Daddy's Little Girl", ""How Could We Still Be Dancin'", "Concert Tonight", "Sunshine", "Let Him Run Wild", "Market Place" (though it doesn't sound like a classical example of dreadfulness - it is more like an outtake from some Chicago musical), "He Couldn't Get His Poor Old...", "Smart Girls", "Let's Go to Heaven in My Car", "Too Much Sugar", "Goodnight Irene", "Someone to Love" (it's both beautiful & funny), "Christine", "Sweets for My Sweet";

Carl's "The Grammy" (imo best song of the record), "Bright Lights", "Rockin' All Over the World" (in some way, reminds me of The RS, which is a jolly good thing; suitable song for finger-snapping imo), Hold Me (Myrna actually has a good singing voice, didn't notice it before at 1st listen);     

Bruce's "Sealed with a Kiss" (if this was composed by Johnston, then hats off to him coz the song's got a very beautiful melody imo, plus I really like his singing there), R&R Survivor, Rendezvous (though I'm not quite certain if any of the latter 2 is "travesty").

I won't add Al's songs since I don't reckon any of them to be fitting in this thread.     

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Nicko1234
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2013, 02:49:44 AM »

Bruce's "Sealed with a Kiss" (if this was composed by Johnston, then hats off to him coz the song's got a very beautiful melody imo, plus I really like his singing there),      

Sealed with a Kiss is something of a standard and has been a hit for a few people. Certainly not composed by BJ.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:45 AM »

Sealed with a Kiss is something of a standard and has been a hit for a few people. Certainly not composed by BJ.
Thanks for the info, Nicko1234! Tbh, I suspected it, 'cause when I listened to this cover, I caught myself thinking that the melody sounded very familiar, I might've heard it on radio or TV some time ago. And definitely, it wasn't Bruce, since his version isn't that popular, sort of obscure even.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2013, 04:40:21 AM »

The interesting thing about "Sealed With a Kiss" is that it's written as a duet (the hit version had Brian Hyland double-tracked, and so did Bobby Vinton's version).  The Bruce version is listed as by "The Rip Chords'" and the photo on the Radio Shack album shows both Bruce and Terry, so I wonder what happened to the second vocal part -- which I assume Terry would have sung?

Lee
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2013, 05:41:13 AM »

Rock And Roll To The Resuce is quite a kicker! Only in context for the band though, I fully understand why it didn't chart high.

Sumahama with the Japanese part at the end edited out is certainly a solid track!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »

TAAAAAKE GOOOOOD CAAAAAREEEE OOOOOOOF YOOOOUUUUR FEEEEEET (pete)

that's about it I s'ppose
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »

What are you guys talking about? The Beach Boys have never done anything bad.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2013, 02:34:43 PM »

Have you heard "He Come Down"? Damn...
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2013, 04:47:59 PM »

Yes I have and it gets cranked to the max each and every time..... The middle harmony part brings tears to my eyes!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:09:16 PM by zatch » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »

Yes I have and it gets cranked to the max each and every time..... The middle harmony part brings tears to my eyes!

Word! Great song

Love that soul!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:58:43 PM by Shady » Logged

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »

Word! Great song

Love that soul!

Ackkk, I had an online crush on you till you said that. Maybe I still do.  Tongue
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »

I think their song "wheeeeeeeeen" is a fantastic song
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2013, 05:36:11 AM »

not sure that where this thread is at now, but going back to the original question, I really like happy endings. There I said it. And I love problem child, most of Summer in Paradise. Heck, I'll even say that I like summer of love in a train wrecky sort of way. They're the Beach boys man. Even their objectively awful s--t is still awesome.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2013, 06:15:53 AM »

I really like happy endings.

So did Brian, just ask Anna Lee and Marcella.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2013, 09:47:11 AM »

Word! Great song

Love that soul!

Ackkk, I had an online crush on you till you said that. Maybe I still do.  Tongue

I think you still do

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx