gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680771 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:49:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys "Travesties" are.. 'To your taste?'  (Read 14320 times)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 08:27:48 PM »

I've always had a soft spot for "Smart Girls." 
MBE
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »

Hmm this is tough because if I like I song I don't consider it to be a travesty. Student Demo Time kicks butt, Drip Drop, and Rolling Up To Heaven are great dirty fun. I like the Casious Love cut. I like Match Point and Wontcha Come Out Tonight.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 10:12:01 PM »

Back in the day, I found myself liking Summer In Paradise quite a bit.  Then I discovered the 30th Anniversary box set. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50:21 PM »

These don't have the best reputation, but I enjoy all these songs.  A few of them may have been out of place on their respective albums, however.

I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man
Transcendental Meditation
Take a Load Off Your Feet
Ding Dang
Match Point of Our Love
Lahaina Aloha
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 11:32:17 PM »

I'm Begging You Please
Lazy Lizzie
Yeaahhh
I Feel So Fine
To Sir With Love
I'll Bet He's Nice Demo
All of 15 Big Ones and Love You
Adult Child minus Hey Little Tomboy, and especially Shortening Bread
Drip Drop, of course.

Basically anything with a raspy, out of tune, coked out Brian dropping F-bombs will do me a body good.  LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 11:34:31 PM »

Still Cruisin'

HCTN (LA - Album version)

Inexplicable...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:36:22 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 01:36:10 AM »

Spring Vacation, Here Comes the Night disco version,  Sumahama. In fact, I pretty much love L.A. And I also fall into the Beach Boys Love You/15 Big Ones group of fans.

I know some people dislike the early surf/car songs, but I love most of them, and I'm kinda partial to the car songs. I love car songs, period. I grew up around a bunch of gearheads and I love muscle cars. I don't know jack about cars myself, though.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 01:56:27 AM »

Crocodile Rock. In fact a lot of the 80's. It was my age of BB discovery

My deepest apologies !!

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »

I don't know if there are any travesties these guys have done that are to my liking but I'll list some seemingly conventionally maligned ones that I enjoy: "I'm Begging You Please"; "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow"; "The Girl From New York City"; "Let's Go Trippin'" (esp. Concert version); "South Bay Surfer"; "Take A Load Off Your Feet"; all of Smiley Smile and Love You; most of Carl & The Passions; "That Same Song" (esp. SNL-associated Beach Boys special version, with choir); "Chapel Of Love"; "Pallisades Park"; "Back Home"...

...I think that's it? Probably pretty mundane comparatively but there ya go!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 03:52:10 AM »

Spring Vacation
Private Life of Bill and Sue
She Believes In Love Again
Full Sail and Goin' South
Hey, Little Tomboy
He Come Down
Take A Load Off Your Feet
When a Man Needs a Woman
I Was Made To Love Her
I'm Bugged At My Old Man
Do You Remember
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 04:12:56 AM »

Okay.

I quite like Tears in the Morning.  Way more than Deidre, for example.

I think Winds of Change is one of the best three tracks on MIU - especially if you have the version where Al sounds less like Kermit the Frog.

I much prefer the simplicity of Carl's first album to the airbrushed overblown AOR shite of the second.

I like the 'surf' instrumentals on the first few albums. They're part of the band's DNA.

I like First Love and don't mind Country Love, especially when compared with LBWL.

I think 15 Big Ones has a lot of charm and would'nr have minded 15 covers - though I appreciate that coming after Holland and that particular period of their career, it must have been a great disappointment.

I don't mind When Girls Get Together.  There:  I've said it.

Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 05:02:09 AM »

Looking Back With Love.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 05:04:46 AM »

I don't know if there are any travesties these guys have done that are to my liking but I'll list some seemingly conventionally maligned ones that I enjoy: "I'm Begging You Please"; "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow"; "The Girl From New York City"; "Let's Go Trippin'" (esp. Concert version); "South Bay Surfer"; "Take A Load Off Your Feet"; all of Smiley Smile and Love You; most of Carl & The Passions; "That Same Song" (esp. SNL-associated Beach Boys special version, with choir); "Chapel Of Love"; "Pallisades Park"; "Back Home"...

...I think that's it? Probably pretty mundane comparatively but there ya go!

Imagine if something like this was put on a compilation. It would be better than most hit compilations!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 05:07:45 AM »

What do people think of 'When Girls Get Together'?

Personally I find it very rich in its texture and the lyrics do have significant meaning (though corny at times). I really hope they release a clean 1970 version. IMO the overdubs made for KTSA didn't do the song justice. Do people agree on that or differ?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 05:38:14 AM »

I think it's nuts. But good.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 05:39:03 AM »

Well, I'm a big fan of I'm So Lonely and It's Just a Matter of Time, which seem to get dissed a lot.  

And I also like A Thing or Two, which somehow always puts me in mind of the Beatles' "Wild Honey Pie."

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
halblaineisgood
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 06:04:14 AM »

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:56:58 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 06:21:52 AM »

spring vacation, be still, everyone's in love with you, ding dang, belles of paris, still surfin' (perhaps the only achievement of SIP), endless harmony, pretty much everything on SC.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »

I'm OK with "Crocodile Rock" too.   Grin
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »

Daybreak over the Ocean. I don't really dig the melody itself and the lyrics (which seem to be taken from "Bluebirds over the Mountain" etc), but the instrumental arrangements and percussion are spectacular. I really don't think Mike was responsible for them, actually.

And I think Friends was their best post-Pet Sounds album in the sixties - and in some ways better than Surf's Up, Sunflower and Holland, but don't see people talking that much about it here.
Paulos
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »

Yes, 'for reals'. Many fans would label Spring Vacation as a travesty but I like it, it's harmless fun and is a very 'ear worm' type song.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »

I agree with all the folks saying Spring Vacation, The Private Life Of Bill And Sue and Daybreak Over The Ocean.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »

Personally I find it very rich in its texture and the lyrics do have significant meaning (though corny at times). I really hope they release a clean 1970 version. IMO the overdubs made for KTSA didn't do the song justice. Do people agree on that or differ?

A major dud from an otherwise excellent creative period

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »

A major dud from an otherwise excellent creative period

I really like When Girls Get Together. A nice, pleasant song. The two part Brian/Mike harmonies remind me of the closeness of the Everly Bros. Would have been a good fit on Sunflower if it was a double album. For some reason, the KTSA version has an obnoxious, out of time kick drum overdub. Bruuuuce??? Anyway, the version on Landlocked, despite being in less than great aural quality, lacks this overdub, and that's the version I like the best.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 01:50:11 PM »

"Student Demonstration Time" - The lyrics are admittedly awful, but that's a pretty rocking track...and the "stay away when there's a riot going on" group vocals are terrific.

"Summer In Paradise"  - I'm fond of this song, especially live versions I've heard.  In fact, aside from "Surfin'" and "Summer of Love" (the all-time low point of the BBs) I enjoy most of the SIP album, albeit only about once a year or so.

"I'm Bugged At My Old Man" - It's funny, it's a dig at Murry, and I really like the call and response type vocal, even if they were purposefully singing it goofy.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx