gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 02:30:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's home studio & Brother Studios  (Read 28912 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2012, 09:25:23 PM »

I'm glad it ended up on Holland. Blondie's lead is perfect.

The second statement is not a fact. Brian's live vocal on the recent tour was way better - IMHO.

I'm very much looking forward for Mr. Desper's study video of it. Did the early mixes survive? Did they feature the same lyrics? Who sang lead on them?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »

Sail On, Sailor is a good example. I recall working on that song as far back as 20/20, then it wasn't finshed for Sunflower, not enough room for release on Surf's Up even with additional sweetening, and finally was included on the Holland playlist.

As early as 20/20?! Wow...I had no idea it was that early, as I was under the impression it was written in 1971. Imagine how it would've sounded if they would have finished it in time for Sunflower!   -Billy

COMMENT:   It would have sounded about the same. I've heard that song in many stages of writting and production. The song was completely recorded by the time Sunflower was released. Surf's Up period saw some sweetening of vocals. Both times it was mixed as if done. I've mixed it in concert many times. In Holland it's the same song with a new vocal. Since I recorded it, expect it will be the subject of an upcoming study-video.~swd

Oh wow! I am very much interested to see this next study video!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2012, 10:58:18 PM »

COMMENT:  I suggest you get in touch with DIANNE REVELL, Brian's sister-in-law. She has always been the person who wrote those AFM things and booked the musicians for the sessions , unless a session leader submitted his own. Dian will shead much clearity on your quest.  Alan Boyd or someone in the current fold will have a contact number for her.  My number is years out-of-date. If you have difficulty finding her number, let me know and I'll call Brian for the number. 

~swd

A most kind offer. Hopefully she'll be more amenable to talk now than she was back in the 80s and 90s when I tried to get her to do an interview. She was most gracious, but declined very firmly. Can't say I blame her.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2012, 07:07:52 AM »

I'm glad it ended up on Holland. Blondie's lead is perfect.

The second statement is not a fact. Brian's live vocal on the recent tour was way better - IMHO.

I'm very much looking forward for Mr. Desper's study video of it. Did the early mixes survive? Did they feature the same lyrics? Who sang lead on them?

COMMENT: I didn't realize there was this much interest in Sail on, Sailor. With that in mind, it may take longer, but I'll expand the subject field to include early mixes into the study.

I'm sorry that these study-videos take so long to prepare, but they are more complex to make than it may seem. Will and I are sticklers for details being right and the Internet sound retain all the characteristics of the original studio realization. Will C. feels the same.  It's a time consuming back and forth process, but eventually all the kinks are ironed out -- and then published. From the return comments it seems the fan base does, in fact, appreciate our efforts, so we continue.

Having said that, I need to be less involved with posting for a while so I can consentrate on preparation of the next few studies.   
  ~swd
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2012, 07:30:42 AM »

Dear Stephen,

thank you so much for your great videos so far. They have given me a bigger understanding and a renewed appreciation of Cool Cool Water and Heroes & Villains and some moments of great listening pleasure. I'm looking forward to your study of Sail On, Sailor very much, take your time!  Smiley

with kind regards,

Yorick van Norden
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx