gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:00:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When was the last time Bruce's keyboard was audible?  (Read 4519 times)
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »

I've seen the Mike & Bruce show several times over the past 10 years or so (I get in free for work...) and I honestly can't recall a single instance where Bruce played anything that you could hear.  At the C50 shows I thought he may have been playing part of Disney Girls, but I was never 100% sure.

So is Bruce's keyboard pretty much just a prop like Brian's or does he actually play something every now and again?

PS - I know he did back in the 60s/early 70s, but since then...?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »

50th Anniversary Tour: allegedly bits and pieces were audible now and then, but looooow in the mix (similar to Brian's piano). It's there to give him something to do, besides clapping, jumping and conducting the audience. But his vocal contribution was spot-on (except "Wendy", maybe) and he did a pretty awesome "Disney Girls" - so I don't care about him having his prop.  Cheesy
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »

50th Anniversary Tour: allegedly bits and pieces were audible now and then, but looooow in the mix (similar to Brian's piano). It's there to give him something to do, besides clapping, jumping and conducting the audience. But his vocal contribution was spot-on (except "Wendy", maybe) and he did a pretty awesome "Disney Girls" - so I don't care about him having his prop.  Cheesy

don't forget it's hard to play when the mic always keeps moving away from his mouth somehow. Gotta adjust that thang!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »

don't forget it's hard to play when the mic always keeps moving away from his mouth somehow. Gotta adjust that thang!
LOL

CLICK FOR EVEN MORE HISTORICAL AWESOMENESS
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 04:11:51 PM »

Bruce never met a mic stand that didn't need adjusted.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »

65? Or was it a little later then Pet Sou...?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 05:58:22 AM »

Does anyone know if Brian is ever audible?
When I watched Beautiful Dreamer, I was blown away at the ability he still has.
He's wonderful still.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:48:40 AM »

On the C50 tour, Brian's piano could be heard during the intro to "Marcella".
I heard Bruce's keyboard pretty clearly on "Disney Girls".

As for the Mike/Bruce performances, Bruce took over some important primary piano parts when John Cowsill moved to the drums, during songs where Tim Bonhomme's hands are full:  on "Darlin''" and "Be True To Your School" he plays the main piano parts, on "Good Vibrations" he plays the tack piano part in the bridge.  The last of these, at least, should be clearly audible. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:07:50 AM »

Does anyone know if Brian is ever audible?
He sure was, from time to time, on the 50th anniversary tour.
Same goes for recent solo gigs - his piano playing has increased in the last couple of years (with a major boost during the 50th anniversary tour).
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 11:22:18 AM »

I find Bruce's cheerleading embarrassing to the band. Makes them look less of a "band" and more like the Full House era unit.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »

I find Bruce's cheerleading embarrassing to the band. Makes them look less of a "band" and more like the Full House era unit.

Mike Love thinks he's irreplacable. The second most important member, strike that...third most important member of the Beach Boys behind himself and John Stamos.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 02:53:24 AM »

Bruce is the least hip figure in rock/pop I can think of. Dennis must've been pissed when he rejoined in 1979.
Russ_B66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »

Bruce is the least hip figure in rock/pop I can think of. Dennis must've been pissed when he rejoined in 1979.

Why would Dennis be pissed that Bruce came back?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 08:37:42 AM »

As for the Mike/Bruce performances, Bruce took over some important primary piano parts when John Cowsill moved to the drums, during songs where Tim Bonhomme's hands are full:  on "Darlin''" and "Be True To Your School" he plays the main piano parts, on "Good Vibrations" he plays the tack piano part in the bridge.  The last of these, at least, should be clearly audible. 

Yeah, Bruce is very audible on Mike/Bruce shows, but was completely inaudible during everything in the three full band shows I saw this year, except possibly on Disney Girls (which was only done at one of those shows, and I wasn't close enough to the stage to see what he was playing).

Brian's keyboard was always in the mix on the reunion tour, and on Kokomo, for example, he was the only keyboard player for the first verse or two. Quite often in the Italian shows I saw he'd improvise little bass runs with his left hand, which could be heard very clearly.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »

Yeah, Bruce is very audible on Mike/Bruce shows, but was completely inaudible during everything in the three full band shows I saw this year, except possibly on Disney Girls (which was only done at one of those shows, and I wasn't close enough to the stage to see what he was playing).

Brian's keyboard was always in the mix on the reunion tour, and on Kokomo, for example, he was the only keyboard player for the first verse or two. Quite often in the Italian shows I saw he'd improvise little bass runs with his left hand, which could be heard very clearly.

Anytime I have had some Beach Boys concert footage on at home and some friends have been over they can didg it...then there always seems to be some snickering when Bruce starts waving, clapping, and adjusting the mic. Hard to stand up for the guy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 12:49:28 PM »

So it is safe to say BJ is the least popular BB? Just based on comments I see her at SS, I would say the ranking is something like: 1) BW - cause he's a frickin' genius; 2) DW - cause he was almost as much of a genius as his older brother; 3) Al - cause he still sings so well, and he sticks up for Brian; 4) Carl - people love his voice, not so much his songwriting; 5) David - a lot of us have only come to appreciate his contributions recently, but he got raves on the recent tour; 6) the Lovester - love him or hate him, no middle ground; 7) Bruce - apparently quite the musician/arranger back in the day, but not much evidence of that in recent years.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »

Check out the LP or newer released Pacific Ocean Blue credits.  Bottom right hand corner; "God Bless you Bruce."

Newer release of POB, legacy edition, has a nice background and photo fold-out booklet.  And check out the DVD - "Dennis Wilson -Forever" documentary that Billy Hinsche released around 2008-9.
ReggieDunbarJr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 12:27:13 AM »

I remember early 2000 Bruce used to play the saxsolo part on Shut Down.
Fantastick one finger solo!

//RD
halblaineisgood
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 12:33:11 AM »

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:13:02 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:19:33 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: