gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:07:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A BEACH BOYS REUNION?! [Important News]  (Read 36182 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2006, 05:41:48 PM »

Gimme Plastic Ono Band over anything the Beatles did.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2006, 06:22:12 PM »

I love George Harrison, and he was very, very talented and an important asset to the Beatles, but I'd say him and Carl were comparable as to their importance to each band.  Saying Carl is equal to Lennon's importance is a bit much since Lennon wrote nearly half of the Beatles tracks and sang lead on nearly that many too.  Plus, he was f***(n' JOHN LENNON!!!!!!!!
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2006, 08:42:25 PM »

Gimme Plastic Ono Band over anything the Beatles did.
Amen to that, bro!!!!!!! except beatles fr sale rubber soul+revolver.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2006, 10:17:24 AM »

Why not Brian? This would be an interesting surprise.
oh puh-leeze, Bri can barely play piano live and sing at the same time nowadays...with that said i'm goin' to work. Peace.

Why is that? Is it the medication? During the Brian Is Back heyday of the 70's and early 80's, he's playing the piano with the band. Well, actually they have some many people on stage with them, who would notice if he was screwing up. Still, I actually want to see him play. It looks weird for him just to sit in front of a synthesizer.

The dilemma for the touring Brian Wilson is that to be a front man, Brian should concentrate on singing instead of playing keyboards. This a good thing, because when I go to see Brian, I want to hear him sing the best he can. Now Brian likes to have a teleprompter available so he won't screw up the lyrics to the songs. Since it would look awkward for Brian to be standing or sitting on a stool center stage staring at a floor monitor for an entire concert, it's logical to have him sit at a keyboard with the prompter on top of that. Of course, now everyone complains that he's not playing the keyboard very much. Well...he doesn't need to because he's got Darian, Scott and Probyn to play the keyboard parts so he can concentrate on singing.

Brian's comfort level with performing affects all of this, and those who saw him on the last tour may have noticed that he relied on the teleprompter less than in years past (at his Michigan Theatre performance in Ann Arbor in Oct. '04, he delivered a splendid lead vocal on "Add Some Music..." with nary a glance at the lyric sheet). He has also performed a delightful boogie woogie piano intro to "Marcella" recently and continued to play bass while singing lead on "Barbara Ann" and "Surfer Girl".

This is old news, of course. If a BB reunion happens, then Brian would not necessarily have to be center stage. We may find him stage right singing backing vocals...and playing the piano just like in the 70s.
Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2006, 10:44:16 AM »

Yeeeeeees! Please give Brian a big white piano to play onstage!

Ahh... that would be so cool.. and would make Brian seem more... natural and human.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 10:46:15 AM by Rockard » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: May 02, 2006, 12:30:52 PM »

Something just hit me..

Most days I wouldn't even care if I just dropped off the face of the Earth, but now I feel my life won't be complete until I see the reunited Beach Boys, no matter how bad they are.

They'd better not only do one concert, and have it be in England..  I'd be so pissed.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: May 02, 2006, 03:13:37 PM »

So Brian plays Vegas on July 1st and the Mike'n'Bruce-show on July 2nd, is that true....? hm....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 02, 2006, 06:34:50 PM »

Re: Brian & Piano

I posted about it back then, but Brian did an interview that was played on XM radio with some guy earlier this year, and he was wailin' on the piano the whole time.  Believe me, he still has it and his style is really heavy handed and boogie woogie like jerry lee lewis or something.  He even played little intros of 2 or 3 beatles songs the guy asked him about, and did a really cool version of "Da Doo Ron Ron".  I imagine he plays a lot of the stuff on the studio albums still because he still has a really accomplished interesting style of playing... i'm not talking just pounding some chords, he does really delicate fills and runs and things the whole time he's playing that are really cool to hear.  That interview was great!
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 02, 2006, 06:42:25 PM »

I agree, Ron, that Brian is accomplished in his playing style. He has a quirky r and b "jerry lee' feel to his style, like you said, heavy handed, and a wonderful feel for the bass notes on the piano that defines his style. a great left hand. I would have him play on any record, any time...

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2006, 09:43:46 PM »

Yeah!  He played "Da Doo Ron Ron" (I think that's what it's called, forgive me!) and it wasn't like the original, it was kind of doubletime (Like the end of Surf's up) with all kinds of crazy little r&b stuff going on just in the groove of the song. 

Remember that story Linda Rhondstadt tells of Brian doing that song with her?  She said that Brian was laying out all the harmonies in the studio, and even though it was a slow song... when he was trying to finish the last little bit of it, he went to a piano and she said he played this boogie woogie rock and roll groove that had nothing to do with the song and sang a harmony part over it... then they went to the record and  it layed in perfectly. 

Crazy.  It must be a pleasure for his family and friends to hear him play from time to time little stuff like that, pretty interesting fellow. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx