gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:33:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A BEACH BOYS REUNION?! [Important News]  (Read 36179 times)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2006, 01:03:34 AM »

(From The Rock Radio, http://www.therockradio.com/2006/04/beach-boys-planning-reunion-gig.html)

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Beach Boys planning reunion gig

Founding Beach Boy Al Jardine has announced what many Beach Boys fans have been hoping for -- an onstage reunion featuring himself with Brian Wilson, Mike Love, and Bruce Johnston.

In a world exclusive, Jardine revealed to us that plans are in the works for the group to reform later this year in London, in celebration of the 40th anniversary of their 1966 Pet Sounds album. Jardine said that if all goes well, a possible reunion tour might follow: "Actually, a reunion tour is not out of the question, because with this Pet Sounds anniversary coming up, it's a very good possibility that we'll be performing it live in London in November. It would be like a Pet Sounds reunion. Mike is open to it and Brian appears to be open to it and you never know what might spring from that. So if (a reunion tour) is in the cards, we'll do it. You never know. It might just work. "

Jardine and Brian Wilson have been in various legal battles with Love over the past few years, and have not performed with the group since 1998 and 1996, respectively. Love and Johnston continue to tour under the Beach Boys name.

Conspicuously absent from the reunion is Beach Boys co-founder David Marks, who has been performing joint gigs with Jardine over the course of the past year. Jardine explained that although Marks was a co-founder and played a crucial part in most of the group's early recordings, the reunion show would only feature group members who participated in the actual Pet Sounds sessions. Marks quit the group in November 1963 after performing on their first five albums.

Jardine did not give a date when the concert plans would be finalized, who would be backing the group onstage, or when the concert would be announced.

Pet Sounds, which was released on May 16th, 1966, featured such Beach Boys classics as "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "Sloop John B.," "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times," and "God Only Knows."

Jardine and David Marks will team up with Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean for the "Cruisin' With The Legends Of Surf Music" cruise, set for October 2nd through 6th.

The Rock Radio online

Well, if Al Jardine says so...  Shocked  Grin

(This is my first post on this board! Hello everybody!)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 01:38:51 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 01:32:32 AM »

Hopefully, Brian's band will be involved. If not, it will be a trainwreck.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 03:23:19 AM »

I'm sure any of the bands or any combination of the bands are well qualified and I say go for it, so now that it has my blessing they may proceed.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 03:30:44 AM »

History proved Brian right, it's very interesting that they are going to get together for a Pet Sounds aniversary.
Mike, Al and Bruce weren't that involved with it and were amongst the non-believers of Brian's creative trip. 40 years later
the tables have turned. That aside, I think it's cool they are going to be back as the Beach Boys.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 04:13:14 AM »

IF that is true, than I am quite sure the backing group will be a mixed thing from all three fractions. I hope it will be Brian's band, since they don't need very much rehearsal, 'cause they already played it live and are perfect. Anyone got any insights, if this is really true ? I have my doubts about Brian wanting to tour (or just one cocnert) with Mike

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 04:54:05 AM »

That news gives me a really bad and creepy feeling. I really hope it isn´t true, because it sounds like Brian is forced to do this stuff. He spent the last couple of years to re-create his reputation as one of the great pop-composers, and it would be terrible if it ends at some country-fairs, where he is background-singer for the Mike Show.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 05:01:04 AM »

Notice that Al is short on the specifics...i would be surprised if this happend.

But i'd try to be there for it, too!
;-)

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 05:34:49 AM »

That news gives me a really bad and creepy feeling. I really hope it isn´t true, because it sounds like Brian is forced to do this stuff. He spent the last couple of years to re-create his reputation as one of the great pop-composers, and it would be terrible if it ends at some country-fairs, where he is background-singer for the Mike Show.

Well, perfoming "Pet Sounds" isn't the worst thing to do....
I really doubt that they will go on tour afterwards, if the one concert will happen at all, but it ould be a nice way to lay the "Beach Boys" to rest finally.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wyndham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 06:20:09 AM »

I'm really not sure about doing Pet Sounds. Brian's already done it anyway so what's the point, are you going to take away his leads (which he sang originally anyway) and give them to Al? I suppose getting Mike doing his bits is kind of cool but apart from that it seems stupid to do an album mainly sung by Brian, and which the most famous song was sung by Carl.  Why not put together a nice setlist that incorporates some a capella stuff that the group could still pull off, and then focus on the Mike Al Brian Bruce leads with a tribute each to Carl and Dennis. 

Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 06:22:12 AM »

Well, If this thing happens, bring in what is left of the "Wrecking Crew"!

That would be the ultimate petsounds live experience possible today, and fill in the gaps with band members.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 06:33:31 AM »

I'm really not sure about doing Pet Sounds. Brian's already done it anyway so what's the point, are you going to take away his leads (which he sang originally anyway) and give them to Al? I suppose getting Mike doing his bits is kind of cool but apart from that it seems stupid to do an album mainly sung by Brian, and which the most famous song was sung by Carl.  Why not put together a nice setlist that incorporates some a capella stuff that the group could still pull off, and then focus on the Mike Al Brian Bruce leads with a tribute each to Carl and Dennis. 

First, I guess that concert will not be only-Pet Sounds. There will be some of the surfin'-songs, etc.  And the thing why they do "Pet Sounds" is, that they do it in tribute of the 40th anniversary, so it's very logical.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 06:46:45 AM »

Actually, this seems like something that Brian WOULDN'T be forced to do. This might be more comfortable than his solo performances of Pet Sounds because he wouldn't have to "carry" the show, singing lead on every song, especially on songs that he wasn't the original lead vocalist on.

I never viewed the last couple of years as Brian "re-creating" his reputation as one of the great pop composers. Is that what you think Getting In Over My Head and What I Really Want For Christmas did? I'm not ignoring BWPS, but those songs were COMPOSED 37 years ago. Maybe that's why they called it Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE instead of Brian Wilson Composes (note present tense) SMiLE.

A 2006 Pet Sounds may or may not play county fairs, but some of the crowds at Brian's solo concerts were not much bigger than that.

I wouldn't view a Beach Boys concert with Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and David(?) as a "Mike Show", especially if Pet Sounds is performed. And what's wrong with Brian singing some/a lot of background vocals? He wrote 'em, and again, it might be more fun for Brian to harmonize a bit instead of singing lead on Surfin' USA, Barbara Ann, and Fun Fun Fun...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 06:50:40 AM »

And what's wrong with Brian singing some/a lot of background vocals? He wrote 'em, and again, it might be more fun for Brian to harmonize a bit instead of singing lead on Surfin' USA, Barbara Ann, and Fun Fun Fun...

Yeah, I think he said something like that on the "Stars & Stripes"-making of....

- Jack Rieley
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 07:10:26 AM »

they should scrap pet sounds and tour Friends instead Smiley

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 07:20:20 AM »

good call amosario...the less we hear of Mike....

Welcome to the board Sloop!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 07:27:39 AM »

and another thing, a pet peeve, why the hell do they always showcase their stuff in London first? Last time I checked they were AMERICA's band...

Shrug

--
SurferGirl7
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006, 08:12:41 AM »

Personally, Brian doesn't need them anymore  Roll Eyes If it was him and Al, I would go but Mike and Bruce? I saw them in concert last night and they were so bad! I would've hoped they would've been better then last year but no it was worse!

Then again, anything with Brian I have to drop everything for  Grin
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2006, 08:27:26 AM »

i hear ya amo

Mike's shows in the UL are so much better...more than the greatest hits...i guess they like better music than us here in the US.

they got the PS tour first (i think)
smile debuted there
the wonderful/wind chimes single in UK

they always get the goods

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Cabana Boy
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2006, 08:42:44 AM »

and another thing, a pet peeve, why the hell do they always showcase their stuff in London first? Last time I checked they were AMERICA's band...
Generally, we're Brian's most loyal audience. Not to say the US doesn't have it's true believers, but, pound for pound, he gets more love here.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 08:54:17 AM »

I can't disagree with that. I believe every Beach Boy album from Pet Sounds and thereafter made it higher in the charts in the UK than the US...those gosh-darn americans!

--
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 08:57:22 AM »

Come on people, read between the lines.

Mike is suing Brian for his use of the BB name in his touring and for finishing Smile.

The complaint mentioned Al by name and Al has been sued before.

Can we say, "compromise"?  As in, maybe that was what Mike wanted all along?  And that this is as much a legal manuever as a musical one?

That said, if they come to Ohio I am there.
Cabana Boy
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2006, 09:02:34 AM »

I can't disagree with that. I believe every Beach Boy album from Pet Sounds and thereafter made it higher in the charts in the UK than the US...those gosh-darn americans!
A Florida based multi-millionaire and his sons (all suspiciously resembling Chuck LePage) took over Manchester United a while back. That takeover is yet to prove the disaster that many predicted. 'Til it does, I've nothing against the USA.
Cabana Boy
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2006, 09:04:21 AM »

People have been predicting the possibility of such a reunion for some months now, Jeff.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2006, 09:07:01 AM »

Right -- and in many of those predictions (including mine), the rationale was the legal side.  I.e., Mike suing Brian to get him to tour with him.  Brian is doing far better than Mike now and Brian could only help Mike's career now.  Plus Mike is most likely angry/jealous of Brian getting tour income that Mike doesn't get when Brian has taken a share of Mike's income for over 30 years.  Can't say I am not sympathetic if that is so.  So yes, I know it has been rumored -- but I think that the lawsuits are explanation.
Cabana Boy
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2006, 09:11:44 AM »

Haha, I'm just a sucker for the fatalist approach!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx