gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:57:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is Your "Be My Baby"?  (Read 6229 times)
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »

What is the one piece of recorded music that you draw the greatest musical inspiration from?  It can be an individual track, a single, an EP, an LP, a CD album, anything goes.

I'll start:

Strawberry Fields Forever (the individual track)
This song became a part of my life when I was pretty young, probably 5 or 6.  I remember that for a couple weeks, I listened to the 1993 Blue Album CD set every night in bed.  Usually I would fall asleep near the end of disc 1, but every night after my routine bedtime prayer, I would hear the unique 1993 stereo version of Strawberry Fields Forever.  Everything about that recording saturated my subconscious and shaped the way I hear and play music.  The drumming, the recording technique, the lyrics, the chord progressions, the melody, the orchestration, the bass playing, the groove, the backwards tag at the end, the singing, the vocal harmony...  When I listen to SFF, it triggers a profound response of creative energy and "spiritual love", as BW might say.
Now that the original mono mix is accessible to me, I prefer listening to that for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum across the internet.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:54:08 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:01:31 PM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice

It has been my favorite song ever since I first heard it in 1966. I doubt that there is one day that I have not played it at least once.  Well, there may have been a few days over the past 46 years that I didn't listen to it, but you get where I'm coming from.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »

Halah by Mazzy Star

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice (stereo track w/ background vocals)

The beauty of the harmonies, the complex chords, the complex arrangement....I mean, the lead instrument is an ACCORDION and Brian makes it sounds like an instrument that came straight from the hands of God! Cheesy

Brilliant song that inspires me all the time.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:55:27 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 01:16:48 PM »

Hmmm. I'd have to say Getcha Back, the THICK harmonies are really like nothing else.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 02:43:21 PM »

The work of Spiritualized. The best sounding, best arranged modern records. And I am making modern records by virtue of the date. He also says so much bang-on stuff in interviews and has so much good taste.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:50:27 AM »

Does Brian like; Be My Baby, or Rhapsody In Blue more?
That is the question!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »

The Beach Boys - All I Wanna Do

It takes me to another place, away from the world.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 07:50:42 PM »

Well, that's pretty much explains why of all the BBs songs you chose this exact for covering. Iirc, you did an instrumental.

I'm a backround singer, too scared to sing lead.  Grin

I also listen to Husker Du's "No Reservations" a lot too.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedĺrar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »

Don't laugh...

Dancing Queen - ABBA
The Winner Takes It All - ABBA

I get chills up my spine just hearing the opening chords from both of these songs.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 07:35:19 PM »

Don't laugh...

Dancing Queen - ABBA

SAME!

I can sit replaying this song at max volume on my studio headphones for hours at a time (yes, I've done this before). Just over and over and over again. Everything about this song is pure perfection.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 01:45:01 PM »

Great topic!

For me it would be 'You Get what You Give' by the New Radicals. It floored me when it was a minor hit in 98 (or was it 99) and I've listened to it (and their lone Maybe You've been Brainwashed Too? album) ever since...

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 01:57:06 PM »

Great topic!

For me it would be 'You Get what You Give' by the New Radicals. It floored me when it was a minor hit in 98 (or was it 99) and I've listened to it (and their lone Maybe You've been Brainwashed Too? album) ever since...

Totally love that song!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 11:31:21 PM »

Cool posts!  I was hoping to get some responses like these - a great variety of styles.

Da Doo Ron Ron

Yea this is pretty accurate the more that I think about it. The piano triplet and percussion overdub are staples for me.
nice pick, what a great production!

Wouldn't It Be Nice

It has been my favorite song ever since I first heard it in 1966. I doubt that there is one day that I have not played it at least once.  Well, there may have been a few days over the past 46 years that I didn't listen to it, but you get where I'm coming from.
Wouldn't It Be Nice (stereo track w/ background vocals)

The beauty of the harmonies, the complex chords, the complex arrangement....I mean, the lead instrument is an ACCORDION and Brian makes it sounds like an instrument that came straight from the hands of God! Cheesy

Brilliant song that inspires me all the time.
Haha, I am definitely familiar with WIBN - amazing song, I've certainly been inspired by it (I'll try listening to the backing track with backing vocals more, too)

Halah by Mazzy Star
I hadn't heard of Mazzy Star before - definitely going to keep listening to that song, sounds great so far

Good idea for the topic, Sonic Oasis (aka DiamondHead)!
I mentioned it plenty of times before & since then nothing changed - I still love At My Window like no other song by any artist, including The BBs themselves. Such a warm, homely, benign & just extremely beautiful song! Must admit, when I 1st heard AMW, I thought its lead vocalist - Bruce Johnston - was the best singer of The BBs. Now I don't think so, of course, but nevertheless I like his singing here. Though Brian could sang it no less good imo. Or even better. Anyway, the song is ideal on every side, mostly the harmonies. Every time I hear At My Window, I have very beautiful images in my head, like I'm in a some calm place where only horizon, meadows, the sun & no anger, evil etc. Generally, I like it when song creates such kind of atmosphere & brings good memories or transfers you to some picturesque place. So that's another reason of why I adore AMW. Btw, the melody isn't that simple & childlike as it may seem. To my ears, there's also some hint of psychedelia, sth. very whimsical about it. In short, undeservedly overlooked gem.
At My Window - YES!  Thanks, RangeRover, for getting me back into Sunflower... One of the greatest sounding albums I've ever heard (props to Stephen Desper)

Hmmm. I'd have to say Getcha Back, the THICK harmonies are really like nothing else.
Getcha Back - that's cool to hear, have you experimented with trying to produce vocals like that?

The work of Spiritualized. The best sounding, best arranged modern records. And I am making modern records by virtue of the date. He also says so much bang-on stuff in interviews and has so much good taste.

Cool, I'll check that out

Another Sunflower track - that album is the bomb

Don't laugh...

Dancing Queen - ABBA
The Winner Takes It All - ABBA

I get chills up my spine just hearing the opening chords from both of these songs.
Dancing Queen is no joke - that is one solid record!  Especially the drums

Great topic!

Wow, I wasn't expecting that one, but now that you say so, that was definitely one of the best singles of the 90s.  Listening now
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 03:45:26 AM »

Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell Version (can listen to it over and over without ever tiring of it)

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 05:38:43 AM »

Surf's Up.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 02:07:02 AM »

Good Vibrations or Paperback Writer

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 06:53:20 PM »

Cool posts!  I was hoping to get some responses like these - a great variety of styles.

Getcha Back - that's cool to hear, have you experimented with trying to produce vocals like that?

My new album's lead single has some very "Getcha Back"-esque backing vocals!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 03:43:48 AM »

Sonic Oasis - Start with Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, and if you prefer the noisier bits, head backwards in their discography, and if you prefer the sweeter stuff, head towards the present.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 08:03:58 PM »

I'd have to say the first set of Smile sessions I got hold of in late 1989 or early 1990.

It was listening to some Beatles rehearsal sessions in 1986 (Get Back sessions from Twickenham) that told me "You can do this," but it was those Smile sessions that said, "You HAVE to do this!"  

Afro   Brian, Dennis, & Carl 3D

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »

Mine in reality probably becomes All Day And All Of The Night by The Kinks.

The actual reasons for this lie, less in the drumming on the track, but the importance it has played in my drumming life. It was the first song we actually set our sights on properly in my first band, and by jove we played that thing to death. I haven't played it exactly the same since I ditched the tab early on,(ah, early days), but it's loose enough for me to adapt my changing drumming style to fit it in every way. 

The song itself isn't half bad either - I remember the first time I found the single in my dads 45's (it was actually his sisters) I couldn't believe my luck!

However, the song I must say I've probably listened to on loop the most is probably, in truth, Lets All Make Believe by Oasis. The moment that vocal kicks in, you're somewhere else completely!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »

I think I'd go with:
The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us by Sufjan Stevens. I think he's about as close as we're going to get to a young, modern day Brian Wilson. His arrangements are so wonderful, and there's always so much emotion. Definitely a gift to my life.

- Dr. Seuss
MookieZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:43 PM »

I think I'd go with:
The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us by Sufjan Stevens. I think he's about as close as we're going to get to a young, modern day Brian Wilson. His arrangements are so wonderful, and there's always so much emotion. Definitely a gift to my life.
That is an amazing song.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx