gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:48:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Little Saint Nick underrated? Of course you silly elf!  (Read 10370 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:34:24 AM »

Seriously this song is so slept on..The way Mike delivers those Verses while Brian and the rest sing/hum those sweet harmonies to follow up right behind it is just so flawless. Grin
Mostly all my family members love this song and we always play it when everyone gets together on X-mas eve.  Grin (I showed my parents this song but somehow they all knew it before I even told them who sang it.)
I've never seen any of you post anything about this song or even mentioned it, shame on you all. Angry
Do any of you enjoy this cut?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:51:03 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:58:19 AM »

It's okay, but after hearing the Little Saint Nick lyrics set to the music of Drive-In, the "real" version sounds lacklustre in comparison.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 01:08:13 AM »

huh he celbrates christmas and all he must not be sucha bad guy after all
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:17:25 AM »

huh he celbrates christmas and all he must not be sucha bad guy after all
Evil Someone has to play the bad guy role in here. (Since you guys pinned it on me.)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 03:28:04 AM »

it is criminally overrated compared to it's great successers; Child Of Winter and Santa Rockin' Round The Christmas Tree
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 03:50:39 AM »

traditional newguy thread.

"is *insert song title* liked?"
"I've been listening to this song and it's great!  You guys NEVER talk about it!"

I'm not sure it's underrated either.  Any christmas song that makes it into the christmas music canon from a pop/rock band is hard to call underrated.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 03:54:17 AM »

traditional newguy thread.

"is *insert song title* liked?"
"I've been listening to this song and it's great!  You guys NEVER talk about it!"

I'm not sure it's underrated either.  Any christmas song that makes it into the christmas music canon from a pop/rock band is hard to call underrated.
I'm pretty simple & innocent  angel hahahaha (sometimes predictable)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 03:57:42 AM »

"Little Saint Nick" is a pop/rock season standard/classic. Hardly 'underrated'. But yeah, I love that tune.

I know I'm plugging them all the time, but here are the Fendertones with their living room rendition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jwcqNVZ6MM
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:05:42 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 04:06:59 AM »

"Little Saint Nick" is a pop/rock season standard/classic. Hardly 'underrated'. But yeah, I love that tune.

I know I'm plugging them all the time, but here are the Fendertones with their living room rendition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jwcqNVZ6MM
This is the 3rd time I've seen you post a video of these Jokesters..No more please... Embarrassed (They ruined a classic with their cheesiness.)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:08:40 AM »

This is the 3rd time I've seen you post a video of these Jokesters..No more please... Embarrassed (They ruined a classic with their cheesiness.)
Please elaborate on 'cheesiness'. We're still talking about a christmas song by the Beach Boys, right?  Wink

P.S. Only the 3rd time?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:09:56 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 04:57:28 AM »

I love it, along with all the other BB originals from the christmas album. But I can't listen to xmas music when it's not christmas, so I guess I don't think about this one that much.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 05:26:14 AM »

I freaking love this song! It must be so hard to write a Christmas classic but they did it! Another plus is that virtually all of your family knows it unlike if you played them ADITLOAT. I love a lot of their Christmas stuff.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 07:18:49 AM »

It's one of the great Christmas songs that has held up over the decades. I never get tired of listening to it because of the various highlights - the intro, Mike's delivery, Brian's little falsetto on the bridge, and the tag. I believe "Little Saint Nick" shows the genius of Brian as much as any other song from his early period (1962-64).
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 07:46:01 AM »

I like "Merry Christmas, Baby" better

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 07:48:33 AM »

This album is greater than Pet Sounds when played on christmas day.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 08:00:25 AM »

Yes. I affix my seal of approval.  Grin
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »

So true!

How underrated is "Christmas Day", one of the best Christmas songs ever.

I was really happy to see Zooey Deschanel do a cover of it on her Christmas album
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:08:35 AM by Brian looking Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 08:15:59 AM »

LOVE Little Saint Nick!

The backing track on 'Stack o Tracks' is tremendous. It's a fun, beautiful song.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 09:53:53 AM »

Great, great song. Beautifully composed, tricky chords. Love to play it on the guitar.

The other newly composed for the Christmas album tracks are great, too, just a little underproduced. But songwritingwise they're a step forward from "All Summer Long" in the direction of "Today", just that "Today" is produced more carefully.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »

I freaking love this song! It must be so hard to write a Christmas classic but they did it! Another plus is that virtually all of your family knows it unlike if you played them ADITLOAT. I love a lot of their Christmas stuff.
Yes I was surprised that my parents knew the song but they told me they heard it on the radio ever since the 60's. They said it like it was a hit that everyone knows and that surprised me. Tongue
It's a family song ..a song by the boys that we all enjoy...They usually go all out on X-mas and everyone is in such a cheerful mood it's like the only time we aren't bickering with each other. (It's a relief)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »

It's generally accepted as being a Xmas standard isn't it? So not that under-rated. Anyway, it's a really nice song - fun lyrics and a typically insanely catchy Brian melody, although i personally much prefer the album version minus the sleighbells. I prefer Man With All The Toys though - just love that guitar line and the 'opp-opp' backing vocals.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »

Yeah. Underrated? This is a Christmas staple on every radio station that plays Christmas songs. Not to mention it is featured every year at Christmas in Coca-cola commercials on TV and in movie theaters?

Underrated? Only if by "underrated" you mean "deservingly appreciated".
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »

I absolutely love these guys - how can you react like that?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »

I absolutely love these guys - how can you react like that?
They are corny and they pretty much ruin every beach boys song they sing...They need to leave it to the BB's. (Or at least come up with some original material.)
Gohi
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 11:50:31 AM »

It's always been an amazing song, at least to me.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx