gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681003 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 06:49:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Little Saint Nick underrated? Of course you silly elf!  (Read 10435 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 11:56:07 PM »

I'll throw in with the two who like "Christmas Day" and "Merry Christmas, Baby", respectively, better than "Little Saint Nick" which (unlike those two songs) is not at all underrated.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 12:07:23 AM »

I think everything on the MIU Christmas album (aside from Bells of Christmas) or Brian's solo album (aside from Little Saint Nick) beats the original Christmas album. Especially the Dick Reynolds side.

I was really happy to see Zooey Deschanel do a cover of it on her Christmas album

She & Him did a cover of it on their Christmas album. Just because M. Ward isn't a cute female actress doesn't mean his contributions to the band are less valuable. ugh. I didn't even know how Zooey Deschanel was until I started listening to She & Him. It's all M. Ward, man (and producer/instrumentalist Mike Mogis).

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 12:11:23 AM »

Their version sucks anyway since (IIRC) they slow it down to some sort of funereal dirge, remove a bunch of instrumentation, and it seems like she's just... speaking the lyrics. The version of "Little Saint Nick" they do even has Brian's high part excised completely, along with much of the same problems the other song version suffers from!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 12:21:05 AM »

I don't like Christmas Day, except for that fantastically-cheesy (and it is cheesy!) organ solo. But the first four tracks on the album i love - i think they're all great, and yes Merry Xmas Baby is a gem.

I also don't think Christmas '77 was that bad. It certainly wasn't particuarly accomplished, but they could've made a great little EP/short album out of the strongest cuts.

i.e:
1. WINTER SYMPHONY
2. CHILD OF WINTER (the superior bootleg version with the 'Ding Dong Ding Go the Bells' chant throughout the entire fade, not the strangely lifeless released version)
3. MICHEAL ROW THE BOAT ASHORE

4. GO & GET THAT GIRL
5. (ALONE ON) CHRISTMAS DAY
6. HOLY EVENING

These are all at the very least pleasant productions, and Holy Evening is absolutely tremendous! It baffles me that they left songs like Go & Get That Girl and AOCD in the vaults, whilst releasing utter, utter garbage like Loop De Loop Santa's Got An Airplane and Kona Xmas. Strange decisions...
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 12:26:11 AM »

Brian's solo version is pretty kickass.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 12:32:29 AM »

It baffles me that they left songs like Go & Get That Girl and AOCD in the vaults, whilst releasing utter, utter garbage like Loop De Loop Santa's Got An Airplane and Kona Xmas. Strange decisions...

Go and Get That Girl is on Celebration's self-titled album. of course, Carl doesn't sing it so it's not as good.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 01:39:30 AM »

Love the song except for the lyric "Christmas comes this time each year." Really? No s--t, Sherlock.

I wish Mike had taken five extra seconds to change it to something better like:

"Christmas time is here again" or "How I love this time of year"

But in burying Mike for that lyric, I give him credit for calling Rudolph "Rudy." It adds to the charm of the song, seriously.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, 02:15:19 AM »

"Little Saint Nick" is a pop/rock season standard/classic. Hardly 'underrated'. But yeah, I love that tune.

I know I'm plugging them all the time, but here are the Fendertones with their living room rendition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jwcqNVZ6MM
This is the 3rd time I've seen you post a video of these Jokesters..No more please... Embarrassed (They ruined a classic with their cheesiness.)

I absolutely love these guys - how can you react like that?
They are corny and they pretty much ruin every beach boys song they sing...They need to leave it to the BB's. (Or at least come up with some original material.)
"Cheesy"? "Corny"? How? Where? "Ruin every song they sing"? How do they do that?
Dude, as long as you don't give any reasoning whatsoever for hating The Fendertones I'll consider it trolling.  Lips Sealed

The Fendertones are a bunch of excellent musicians and some of their live renditions of BBs material sound even better than the BBs ever performed them live ("Let Him Run Wild"). They're 100% faithful to how the songs were recorded in the first place. They're fans like us and I find their passion in keeping BBs material alive most admirable.

So, if you could just give a glimpse of factual reasoning for hating these guys.... I'd appreciate it.  Wink
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 03:14:58 AM »

Hey who did a better performance of this song? (The ultimate showdown)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bsLdeAp_U

vs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIX0L7TWcCw
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 03:24:06 AM »

YOUA RE GOING TO FEEL STUPID SOME DAY
WHEN YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU THREW AWAY
NO ONE ELSE CAN MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE I DO
HAVE A NICE LIFE WITHOUT ME YOU FOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2012, 04:29:25 AM »

I don't like Christmas Day, except for that fantastically-cheesy (and it is cheesy!) organ solo. But the first four tracks on the album i love - i think they're all great, and yes Merry Xmas Baby is a gem.

I also don't think Christmas '77 was that bad. It certainly wasn't particuarly accomplished, but they could've made a great little EP/short album out of the strongest cuts.

i.e:
1. WINTER SYMPHONY
2. CHILD OF WINTER (the superior bootleg version with the 'Ding Dong Ding Go the Bells' chant throughout the entire fade, not the strangely lifeless released version)
3. MICHEAL ROW THE BOAT ASHORE

4. GO & GET THAT GIRL
5. (ALONE ON) CHRISTMAS DAY
6. HOLY EVENING

These are all at the very least pleasant productions, and Holy Evening is absolutely tremendous! It baffles me that they left songs like Go & Get That Girl and AOCD in the vaults, whilst releasing utter, utter garbage like Loop De Loop Santa's Got An Airplane and Kona Xmas. Strange decisions...

They should done an EP I agree. That would give them some airplay. They lacked a new christmas 'hit' like Little Saint Nick had been for the first Christmas album. That woulda perhaps kept MIU from being released....
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »

One of the things I love about Little Saint Nick is that its the Beach Boys playing everything on it. Also, it's probably one of the last '63 sessions with David on the track. Credits according to C-man are...
Little Saint Nick – Brian (piano, celeste), Dennis (drums), Carl (guitar, sleighbells), David (guitar), Al (bass, glockenspiel)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »

Love the song except for the lyric "Christmas comes this time each year." Really? No s--t, Sherlock.

I wish Mike had taken five extra seconds to change it to something better like:

"Christmas time is here again" or "How I love this time of year"

But in burying Mike for that lyric, I give him credit for calling Rudolph "Rudy." It adds to the charm of the song, seriously.

"Christmas comes this time each year." is a classic line, O wouldn't want it changed.

It also sounded really good in the coca-cola ad

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2012, 11:16:44 AM »

I've never heard this version. Other than the part you mentioned, is the mix significantly different?
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »

Credits according to C-man are...
Little Saint Nick – Brian (piano, celeste), Dennis (drums), Carl (guitar, sleighbells), David (guitar), Al (bass, glockenspiel)

Brian: "Come on, Mike, you can't even manage the sleighbells."  Wink
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2012, 03:56:11 PM »

Seriously this song is so slept on..The way Mike delivers those Verses while Brian and the rest sing/hum those sweet harmonies to follow up right behind it is just so flawless. Grin
Mostly all my family members love this song and we always play it when everyone gets together on X-mas eve.  Grin (I showed my parents this song but somehow they all knew it before I even told them who sang it.)
I've never seen any of you post anything about this song or even mentioned it, shame on you all. Angry
Do any of you enjoy this cut?

Is the song under-rated?  No.  Is it enjoyable?  Yes. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2012, 10:13:15 PM »

"Little Saint Nick" is a pop/rock season standard/classic. Hardly 'underrated'. But yeah, I love that tune.

I know I'm plugging them all the time, but here are the Fendertones with their living room rendition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jwcqNVZ6MM
This is the 3rd time I've seen you post a video of these Jokesters..No more please... Embarrassed (They ruined a classic with their cheesiness.)

They are corny and they pretty much ruin every beach boys song they sing...They need to leave it to the BB's. (Or at least come up with some original material.)
"Cheesy"? "Corny"? How? Where? "Ruin every song they sing"? How do they do that?
Dude, as long as you don't give any reasoning whatsoever for hating The Fendertones I'll consider it trolling.  Lips Sealed

The Fendertones are a bunch of excellent musicians and some of their live renditions of BBs material sound even better than the BBs ever performed them live ("Let Him Run Wild"). They're 100% faithful to how the songs were recorded in the first place. They're fans like us and I find their passion in keeping BBs material alive most admirable.

So, if you could just give a glimpse of factual reasoning for hating these guys.... I'd appreciate it.  Wink

I hate to be even remotely near Newguy's side on something, but I'm not a fan of the Fendertones myself. They're impressive but I don't listen to things just because they're impressive. There's absolutely no feeling in their performances. Especially the vocals.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2012, 11:02:01 PM »

Even though I hate you I agree. (A**hole) lol  LOL

I hate to be even remotely near Newguy's side on something, but I'm not a fan of the Fendertones myself. They're impressive but I don't listen to things just because they're impressive. There's absolutely no feeling in their performances. Especially the vocals.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2012, 11:07:34 PM »

did you even write anything there? what's the point in directly quoting the post above you?

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »

@Aegir: I very much value your opinion, sir - but I got to disagree with you on that. Sure they ain't got no Carl (whose voice was pure emotion) singing "Good Vibrations" or Brian's soaring falsetto at the ready (but.. who does?) - nonetheless, it's not only in their instrumentalists' performances that I feel their passion for all things BBs/BW. It sure is hard to articulate those things.  Undecided

@Newguy: I'd still like to see some arguments on the Fendertones' "cheesiness" et cetera.  Razz
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:47:56 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 04:42:25 AM »

My family's Christmas morning always included Santa's Beard thanks to some Time-Life collection. So I've always preferred that as my BBs Christmas instant classic.

However, due to my most recent purchase, they have all been overtaken by Morning Christmas, which is breathtaking and sublime. Majestic and powerful. Dennis floored me, once again. One of his greatest songs, I think.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2012, 04:43:19 AM »

Also, the Fendertones kick ass. Best cover band I've ever heard.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2012, 05:54:36 AM »

Seriously this song is so slept on..The way Mike delivers those Verses while Brian and the rest sing/hum those sweet harmonies to follow up right behind it is just so flawless. Grin
Mostly all my family members love this song and we always play it when everyone gets together on X-mas eve.  Grin (I showed my parents this song but somehow they all knew it before I even told them who sang it.)

Btw, I didn't know that LSN is played every year at Christmas in commercials & on radio in the US. That must be very cool! I'm quite envious. In our country it is Melanie Thornton's "Holidays Are Coming" which I never liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahe2r5fB5hU

Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2012, 01:39:05 PM »

@Aegir: I very much value your opinion, sir - but I got to disagree with you on that. Sure they ain't got no Carl (whose voice was pure emotion) singing "Good Vibrations" or Brian's soaring falsetto at the ready (but.. who does?) - nonetheless, it's not only in their instrumentalists' performances that I feel their passion for all things BBs/BW. It sure is hard to articulate those things.  Undecided

@Newguy: I'd still like to see some arguments on the Fendertones' "cheesiness" et cetera.  Razz
There are some people that cover songs and put a beautiful twist on it (David Bowie,Aretha Franklin,etc.)
When they cover songs it lacks depth and soul and that's what I've noticed all 3 times I've heard/seen their music clips.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »

Let me ask, how it can be slept-on if you mention that your parents knew the song before you even showed it? I don't quite understand. As for me, I also don't think that LSN is underrated. Mind that The BBs performed it in one TV show back in 64 after its release, iirc. But anyway, it's a great song & I like your description & story. Little Saint Nick is one of my favorite Christmas songs ever! Though if tbh, I'd rather prefer The Man with All the Toys & Christmas Day (good to see that some of the Smiley Smilers like it too) than the subject. The latter is a very underrated cute Christmas gem. Love everything about it! Also, LSN with "Drivin" music is very entertaining! Dig Brian's Mike imitation.

And what about you, Newguy? What other Christmas songs do you like from that BBs album?

Btw, I didn't know that LSN is played every year at Christmas in commercials & on radio in the US. That must be very cool! I'm quite envious. In our country it is Melanie Thornton's "Holidays Are Coming" which I never liked.
What country are you from? I keep thinking your American too. (No offense) lol  Razz...To be honest that's the only x-mas song that I enjoy and has been a family song (or whatever you call it) since I was a child I just was told that the other day but when I was a child kid I didn't recognize music at all and it doesn't hit me the way it does today. (The Beatles were the only group that left me in awe when I was a kid. lol) That's the only song from that BB X-mas album that I even remember. lol (I'll have to give it another listen.) I might just play the whole thing on X-mas eve so my family could enjoy some Beach Boys awesomeness. Grin
I always get excited when I hear a Beach Boys song on the radio or commercial. Razz Last week I was in the car with my gf and her family and "Wouldn't it be nice" came on the radio and everybody looked at me and I felt uncomfortable for a second then I started to sing it and everybody joined in. (It was seriously like something straight out of a comedy movie. lol)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx