gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:30:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Sleep Alone - What Were They Thinking?  (Read 11276 times)
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2006, 10:52:47 PM »

I'd never heard the song "I Sleep Alone" until it was posted recently.  What was the thinking behind this song?  Was it designed to be covered by a female artist, and if so, who,and if not, WTF?  Actually, a lot of SI lyrics make me wonder.  About what, I'd rather not say.   It's just weird stuff, and I don't know why Brian's people were so anxious to take Gene Landy and Alex Morgan's name off the songs, because they're pretty egregious, some of them, lyrically speaking.  I also wonder why they'd want Brian to relive that part of his life by redoing some of the songs for GIOMH.

Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 01:02:29 AM »

I'd never heard the song "I Sleep Alone" until it was posted recently.  What was the thinking behind this song?  Was it designed to be covered by a female artist, and if so, who,and if not, WTF?  Actually, a lot of SI lyrics make me wonder.  About what, I'd rather not say.   It's just weird stuff, and I don't know why Brian's people were so anxious to take Gene Landy and Alex Morgan's name off the songs, because they're pretty egregious, some of them, lyrically speaking.  I also wonder why they'd want Brian to relive that part of his life by redoing some of the songs for GIOMH.

Now please will someone comment about Brian and Landy's seemingly Queer ways?

I support Falun Gong
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 01:33:45 AM »

You know, most people (straight OR gay) find the term "queer" to be highly offensive.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 01:34:59 AM »

queer  (kwîr)
adj. queer·er, queer·est
1. Deviating from the expected or normal; strange: a queer situation.
2. Odd or unconventional, as in behavior; eccentric. See Synonyms at strange.
3. Of a questionable nature or character; suspicious.
4. Slang Fake; counterfeit.
5. Feeling slightly ill; queasy.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 01:41:26 AM »

True, but the guy LS has made other comments about his opinion that Landy and Brian had something sexual going on.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 01:48:33 AM »

fag1   Audio pronunciation of "fag" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (fg)
n.

1. A student at a British public school who is required to perform menial tasks for a student in a higher class.
         2. A drudge.
   2. Chiefly British. Fatiguing or tedious work; drudgery.

---

but once you use it and interpret it as the slang word (ala 'street'), it means something different, doesnt it ian?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 01:51:57 AM »

I thought a fag was a cigarette!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 01:52:28 AM »

Yeah, I've smoked some queer fags in my day.
 LOL

Anywayz....

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 01:58:40 AM »

im jus sayin Shrug

Razz

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 01:59:35 AM »

It's all good.  Grin

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 04:14:49 AM »

The song was kind of a demo for a female singer, but I don't remember who was supposed to sing it....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
peeping tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 07:20:20 AM »

Sara Brightman..........
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »

Sara Brightman?  Why?  For what?

I've never been able to stand SI.  I just skimmed it a couple of times and never played it again.  This recent exposure was the first time I've really listened to it.  It's so horrible in so many ways.  Landy really was a second Murry to Brian, only less benevolent.  Murry always tried to get Brian to write with him, too.  He wanted Brian to have songs covered by other artists, which was a strong motivation in selling the SOT publishing.  Landy was doing the same thing; writing horrible lyrics, and I suspect maybe even writing some of the music, or at least pushing Brian in a certain direction.  If Brian were my client or husband, I sure as heck wouldn't want him singing any of those songs ever again, which also make me wonder about GIOMH.  No wonder he gave such a scathing interview to some European journalist at the time.  I'm sure he didn't want to go there again and sing any of those songs, yet he was semi-forced to do so.  It's just bizarre.
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 08:20:42 PM »

hooray for everyones sincere replies!!! i'm overjoyed.

Personally, i like SI & BW'88.  They both are very brianish...humour and honestly cheesy lyrics and mood...the sounds are definately trying to emulate the Smile and PS years, in the kitchen sink synth, dum machiene approach.  Some tunes sound to me like pale attempts at a mid 80's Phil Collins sound. i dont know?anyone else?

What i meant is that Landy and Brian were in very intimate, close quarters for Years.
Carl dennis mike and Al along with all siblings did act very befuddled and dazed whenever the progress was made it seemed...to me, it like they expected Brian to fail, somehow...maybe die like Elvis.

Then when Brian was healthy Carl filed the conservator? Brian and Landy bonded and the others got scared...maybe they felt all those expenses blurred the lines???
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 09:35:48 PM »

Queer USED to be considered an offensive term.  Now it's not - heard of queer eye for the striaight guy?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 11:35:27 AM »

"Queer" is actually what a lot of gays and lesbians prefer to be called when they don't necessarily align themselves philosophically with mainstream gay culture.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 02:25:28 PM »

So, what are we saying here?  Roll Eyes  But I can see why people would think that about Landy.  The way he used to go on talk shows speaking of being Brian's "life partner," the matching tuxedos (someone posted a picture of the two of them wearing silver highlights in various areas of their tuxes), the similar aloha shirts, the matching Corvettes.  It's interesting that Gene seemed to wanted to create that public impression, even if it was an illusion, because it probably was another element to control his client.   He was a piece of work, and "Sweet Insanity" is another example of his sick control.
MBE
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 09:09:34 PM »

Let's look at facts. In the Gaines book Marilyn is quoted saying that she and Brian went to bed with that Tayden Almer guy. They only notable thing in Landy's oops I mean Brian's book is them having a shower together naked. This being said I don't really think they had an affair. I've read in Rolling Stone and the WIlson Project etc. that Brian seems not to be bashful being nude.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 09:20:06 PM by MBE » Logged
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 11:23:06 PM »

Let's look at facts. In the Gaines book Marilyn is quoted saying that she and Brian went to bed with that Tayden Almer guy. They only notable thing in Landy's oops I mean Brian's book is them having a shower together naked. This being said I don't really think they had an affair. I've read in Rolling Stone and the WIlson Project etc. that Brian seems not to be bashful being nude.
Thank you MBE...let us not forget in the Todd Gold bio how Bri & Gene leaned on each other "in a closet"!??
to mourn landy's mothers death and Dennis' unforgettable demise. Weird, so new agey, yet plausible.

Two men in any heavy emotional situation, under resre and all...with so much at stake...Unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone say "Broke Brian's Back Mountain"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freespeech zones Suck
MBE
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 11:53:04 PM »

LOL Loren that was funnier that it should have been! Landy and Brian were on a sofa according to Todd, but yes Gene and Brian go in the closet during an 1975 session. Those pictures of him hugging Brian's head though.... not that there's anything wrong with that. J
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 08:54:18 PM »

forgetmarie...I FORGOT about the whole "life partner" thing. Of course, that was before that term was a euphemism for same-sex spouses.

The "autobiography" also mentions the threesome with Tandyn Almer and Marilyn, and also implies that Brian and Almer did something too.

I don't think that Brian and Landy were ever sexually involved, at least as far as Brian knows. As doped up as Landy had him, though, one wonders...

Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 11:28:06 PM »

I'M A fodaIN' GENIUS- i want that shirt!

there just was something emasculated about the guys during the 1980's, i think.
maybe thats why they didnt get much love during the 80-86 period.

P.S- will somebody tell me how much the mid-80's Monkee reunions had an effect on the BB' popularity...rnr to the rescue, california dreamin', made in the usa singles? wipeout? Kokomo?

i remember a big 60' nostalgia bid then.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 11:42:30 PM by Lorenschwartz » Logged
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 10:25:31 AM »

I'm going to skip the OT stuff and go back to the original question.

Firstly, yes it was written for a female singer, as already noted. It was never re-recorded so how do we know the credits were changed on that one?

As to why Brian wanted to re-do some SI songs, I remember seeing a picture of Brian in Mojo or Q where he had a bunch of cdr's labeled "Brian Wilson Unreleased Songs" or something like that. He was reviewing his entire unreleased catalogue and deciding which tunes to ressurect. My guess is that Brian decided on songs that did not have much or any Landy involvement.

I must say I always detested SI, but the remakes are far and away better!

Heresy!!!!  LOL

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
SurferGirl7
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 12:24:08 PM »

Hey it could be worse

It could be Barbie  Tongue
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx