gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:18:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bottom 5 Beach Boys albums  (Read 17494 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2012, 11:44:40 PM »

Inspired by AGD's work in the Top 5 Beach Boys albums thread, and for those of you interested, I present the current results:

Rank - Title - Points - [First place] - (Average vote)

1. SIP - 98 - [10] - (4.26)
    2. S&S - 64 - [10] - (4)
    3. BB'85 - 48 - [2] - (3.43)
    4. Still Cruisin' - 32 - (2.46)
    5. MIU - 29 - [1] - (2.64)
    6. KTSA - 28 - [1] - (2)
    7. 15BO - 20 - (2.86)
    8. Love You - 17 - [2] - (3.4)
    9. Surfin' Safari - 14 - (2.3)
  10. LA - 11 - (2.2)
  11. Party! - 9 - (1.eight)
=12. Smiley Smile - 5 - [1] - (5)
=12. CATP - 5 - (1.67)
=12. SUSA - 5 - (2.5)
  15. ASL - 4 - (4)
=16. Friends - 2 - (2)
=16. Holland - 2 - (2)
=16. Surfer Girl - 2 - (2)
=16. Christmas - 2 - (2)
=16. Concert - 2 - (2)

Hey, thanks MFP!

I notice Love You is around number 8 over on the Top 5 thread; as per its crowd splitter rep
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:16:07 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2012, 12:48:34 AM »

15 Big Ones blows Surfin' Safari out of the water. It's OK, Had to Phone Ya, Chapel of Love, That Same Song, Back Home, In the Still of the Night, Just Once in My Life - all great songs.

Sorry and I know that the word 'great' is overused but In the Still of the Night? Yikes.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2012, 01:11:26 AM »

I think In the Still of the Night is indeed a great song/production. Absolutely love Brian's use of synth strings here but then again I'm a big fan of Chapel of Love as well...
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2012, 02:40:47 AM »

I think In the Still of the Night is indeed a great song/production. Absolutely love Brian's use of synth strings here but then again I'm a big fan of Chapel of Love as well...

I honestly don't think that anyone could objectively make that claim though.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2012, 03:17:20 AM »

I honestly don't think that anyone could objectively make that claim though.

Well, I can certainly accept it's not a great song in the same sense that God Only Knows is. Personally, however, I like it almost as much, probably because I'm a huge fan of BW's use of vintage synthesizers and I don't mind the rugged singing at all.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2012, 09:41:15 AM »

1. KTSA- The band on life support
2. MIU- Brian trapped in Iowa
3. SIP- If only Dennis Wilson could come back to life for one day and listen to this.
4. BB 85- Brian held his great songs back for solo album
5. LA Light- they tried to hide lack of material with the long HCTN.

LOL  Well done!!

We all know the bad albums = More Love, Less Wilson.  For me, they're all guilty pleasures.  But I do enjoy knocking 'em (in no particular order)

Keeping The Summer Afloat
It's a structure that ran out of cement 1/3 of the way through.  Don't take the elevator and -- DON'T LEAN ON THE WALLS.  Those are load bearing posters.

MIA
The beginning of the recycling era.
Brian:  "Can we do that? -- people will know it's the same riff as Hawaii."
Mike:  "It's in homage to ourselves."
Brian: "Ooooh.'"

Bummer In Paradise
The amusement park era, a la Spinal Tap.  "Hey...I wrote Kokomo!"  Two words:  JAZZ ODYSSEY.

Still Crusin' (The Buffet Line, on a Cruise Ship)
Even they didn't finish it.   LOL

The Beach Boys ('85)
Rhymes with:  'Beach Boys Ain't Alive.'  Execute order 66.  The Love era begins.  The world yawns.

L.A.
Mike:  "Hey Denny...all that stuff I said about you being a no talent bum...forget I said anything.  Say...look over there!"  SWIPE!

Later that night...
Bruce:  "What did you get?"
Mike:  "I don't know, his drunk handwriting stinks.  Umm...ok 'Love Surrounds Me?'  Uh...one called, looks like... "Baby Blue?'  And... 'He's a Bum?'"
Bruce: "Ha!  Maybe that one's about you, Mike!"
Mike:  "...he can keep that one."

long pause...
Bruce: "I'll add 4 minutes to 'Here Comes the Night..."
Mike:  "Make it 5."

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »

Mike had hardly anything to do with LA at all. And I know you're just being funny, but I find it interesting that when Dennis's songs aren't on the album everyone says they're making a big mistake by not putting them on, and when they are on album it's implied that they were stolen! Man this band can't get a break.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »

Man this band can't get a break.

I think it's that the band can't give itself a break -- or couldn't in the past.

For how many albums did the group choose the best available material?  They arguably did for Pet Sounds, but most other albums included at least one head scratcher while leaving some excellent material in the can.  They rightly deserve to be criticized for that.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2012, 12:26:45 PM »

Yeah Aegir, I'm just goofin' on the clunker albums.  Kickin' em when they're down.  As for LA...I like Dennis' songs the least, ironically.  They don't mix with the material or something for me.

These albums are all favs (especially MIU and LA.  I really love those.)  But, I like them all.  However, they are below the threshold of most casual fans, even some hardcore fans!  And I'm not blind...I know they're slight.  But good too.  Unique.  Always unique.

I think Jeff's right -- they really did pick bad material.  I don't know if it was ego that wanted them to think they could write as good as Brian used too.  Or if their style/brand was limited to their own material.  In the end...I'm GLAD they did stick with their own material.  I don't need covers of "Every Breath You Take."  I'll take slight "California" references and Beach lingo all day.

I'd rather hear Kona Coast than Peggy Sue.  Summahama and "come on pretty mama" is fine with me.

I got beeeeeeeeaches in mind!   Cheesy

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »

I still don't get what's wrong with In The Still of The Night - It's Dennis Wilson singing IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT for gods sake.

But yeah, 15BO is still a pretty crap album. It's really car crash value that makes me listen to it outside of a few tracks (and Chapel Of Love is definitely not one of them). Something along the lines of 'how could you release this?!'

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2012, 07:33:51 PM »

I still don't get what's wrong with In The Still of The Night - It's Dennis Wilson singing IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT for gods sake.

But yeah, 15BO is still a pretty crap album. It's really car crash value that makes me listen to it outside of a few tracks (and Chapel Of Love is definitely not one of them). Something along the lines of 'how could you release this?!'
LOL

15BOs is something else!  It gets a lot of play from me, cuz I love it... perhaps it is the "train wreck" thing.  Every once in awhile I catch myself thinking...am I really singing along to Talk To Me?  Am I cranking Blueberry Hill?

Yes.  yes I am.

In The Still Of The Night and Just Once In My Life are epic good though.   Cry

bluesno1fann
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:23 PM »

1. Summer In Paradise.
2. 15 Big Ones.
3. Keepin' The Summer Alive.
4. Stars And Stripes Vol. 1.
5. M.I.U. Album.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2014, 02:37:23 AM »

I can't remember whether I voted on this and I can't be arsed to check, but FWIW at the moment - and bear in mind all have redeeming features:

1. SIP
2. MIU
3. 85
4. KTSA
5. Surfin' Safari

Solo:

1. LBWL
2. Youngblood
3. Going Public
4. Carl Wilson
5. GIOMH
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2014, 05:33:14 AM »

Not in any particular order:

Summer in Paradise
Still Cruisin'
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)

And that's it. I can't name any other album, I enjoy all the rest. These are not bad either, I just never listen to them.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2014, 11:22:22 PM »

I have yet to listen to SIP, Stars and Stripes, or Still Cruisin'--which I presume would all be in this top 5--so keep that in mind with my list...

Bottom --> Top :

1) BB85
2) Surfin' Safari
3) Surfin' U.S.A.
2) Keepin' the Summer Alive
3) L.A.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2014, 12:50:20 AM »

My choices, in no particular order:

1) Party
2) Stars And Stripes, Volume 1
3) Summer In Paradise
4) Beach Boys Concert
5) 15 Big Ones

Party: I don't see the point of it. I lie, obviously it was intended to buy more time for Brian to concentrate on Pet Sounds. It's disappointing to me because there's no new original material from The Beach Boys on an album bearing their name.

Stars And Stripes, Volume 1: I want(ed) to like it, I really do (did). I like some of the country artists who participated in the project (Junior Brown is an amazing guitarist, and Willie Nelson... enough said!) but the album seems forced, and, once again, there's no new original material from The Beach Boys.

Summer In Paradise: I don't despise this album as some people do. But it's an epic misnomer to call it a Beach Boys album. It's a glorified Mike Love (whom I also don't hate as much as some people do) solo project that happens to feature Carl Wilson, Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston. All of the Beach Boys have demonstrated at one time or other that they're competent songwriters but this album doesn't give anyone other than Mike (and Bruce... for half a song, anyway) any room to breathe or create.

Beach Boys Concert: I find early live recordings of The Beach Boys disappointing. They simply didn't have what was needed logistically to pull off anything they recorded after the Surfer Girl album. The instrumental tracks on their records became progressively more demanding, layered and interesting, to say nothing of the vocals (which were good to begin with but only got better!) and it wasn't until they began adding supporting players in 1969 or 1970 that they were able to begin doing respectable live renditions of post-Surfer Girl material. (BTW, I love Beach Boys In Concert from 1973.)

15 Big Ones: This is effectively half of Party all over again. Way too damn many cover songs. I don't care if their take on "Rock And Roll Music" gave them their first Top 5 U.S. hit in a decade, it was still a cover... coming from a group that was still perfectly capable of delivering original material at the time, as preceding albums like Carl And The Passions/So Tough, Holland, Surf's Up and Sunflower aptly demonstrate.   
bluesno1fann
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2014, 12:56:18 AM »

My choices, in no particular order:

1) Party
2) Stars And Stripes, Volume 1
3) Summer In Paradise
4) Beach Boys Concert
5) 15 Big Ones

Party: I don't see the point of it. I lie, obviously it was intended to buy more time for Brian to concentrate on Pet Sounds. It's disappointing to me because there's no new original material from The Beach Boys on an album bearing their name.

Stars And Stripes, Volume 1: I want(ed) to like it, I really do (did). I like some of the country artists who participated in the project (Junior Brown is an amazing guitarist, and Willie Nelson... enough said!) but the album seems forced, and, once again, there's no new original material from The Beach Boys.

Summer In Paradise: I don't despise this album as some people do. But it's an epic misnomer to call it a Beach Boys album. It's a glorified Mike Love (whom I also don't hate as much as some people do) solo project that happens to feature Carl Wilson, Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston. All of the Beach Boys have demonstrated at one time or other that they're competent songwriters but this album doesn't give anyone other than Mike (and Bruce... for half a song, anyway) any room to breathe or create.

Beach Boys Concert: I find early live recordings of The Beach Boys disappointing. They simply didn't have what was needed logistically to pull off anything they recorded after the Surfer Girl album. The instrumental tracks on their records became progressively more demanding, layered and interesting, to say nothing of the vocals (which were good to begin with but only got better!) and it wasn't until they began adding supporting players in 1969 or 1970 that they were able to begin doing respectable live renditions of post-Surfer Girl material. (BTW, I love Beach Boys In Concert from 1973.)

15 Big Ones: This is effectively half of Party all over again. Way too damn many cover songs. I don't care if their take on "Rock And Roll Music" gave them their first Top 5 U.S. hit in a decade, it was still a cover... coming from a group that was still perfectly capable of delivering original material at the time, as preceding albums like Carl And The Passions/So Tough, Holland, Surf's Up and Sunflower aptly demonstrate.   

Agreed for the most part. Their first concert album certainly wasn't their best, but it's enjoyable enough.

And welcome to this forum! Hope you enjoy it around here, and looking forward to your posts!
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2014, 06:38:22 AM »

1. Stars And Stripes Vol. 1 (I listen to Summer In Paradise more often than Stars And Stripes. Can't stand most of those country artists).
2. Summer In Paradise (I play it once in a blue moon, like maybe twice a year, mostly because I sorta like the Sly Stone cover tune, but the rest...the production...)
3. Beach Boys 85 (don't care for most of the material, or the production. Getcha Back is awesome. IJAMOT is cool too).
4. Keepin' The Summer Alive (I actually like much of the album, but I had to choose a #4, and this is it).
5. L.A. (Long disco song makes this my #5)

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »

1. Summer in Paradise (I think this one goes without saying.  The only song I get that much out of is Lahaina Aloha, which seems to work in the same way that previous decent Melcher/Love compositions did. On the other end, there's the awful Summer of Love and a remake of Surfin' that is not much better.  The rest range from mediocre covers and originals.  Still better than most contemporary top 40, which I hate with a passion, so I can't call it the nadir of music.)
2. Stars and Stripes Vol. 1 (This one loses a lot of points because of how unnecessary it is.  I'm really not interested in hearing country interpretations of Beach Boys song with Beach Boys on backing vocals.  About 4 songs are tasteful enough and provide variation on the originals so as not make it completely useless.)
3. Surfin' Safari (In terms of having interesting material, this one really suffers. There's nothing on here I would really miss if I didn't hear it again. What the album does have is historical importance, as unlike the later period albums this one is actually crucial to the Beach Boys career.  Although most of the songs are inoffensive, little stands out.)
4. Keepin' the Summer Alive (Another thoroughly mediocre affair and out of all the albums of the band besides the ones above, this is one offers the least in terms of highs.  The production and vocals sound quite sterile at points, with the latter being particularly frustrating given that they could still sing at this point.  It's never really awful, but rarely manages to go above middling.)
5. Still Cruisin' (This one isn't really that bad.  Out of the 7 tracks worth discussing, Somewhere Near Japan, Kokomo, and In My Car are the ones that interest me.  It loses points because of how little new material there is here and the out of place 60's songs.  Little Deuce Coupe, which was another contender for its quasi-compilation elements, at least has a cohesive feel musically and conceptually.  With a few rogue 80's singles to add this one could have been an okay hodgepodge affair.)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx